Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

Ruckhappy

[125]Aug 27, 2013
    • level: 9

rishabhpb wrote:
    You've mixed up a race discussion and a gender discussion.

Par for the course...

I get that there are loyal fans of SNL who have outdated notions of comedy, like that women can't be funny or that blacks should only play Stepin Fetchit roles, but the SNL of today is not for you. The show is being written and produced in a contemporary context, for a reasonably enlightened audience. Lorne himself has embraced a fully empowered presence of women on the show, and he makes the rules.

It only makes sense anyway. SNL is all about finding funny new talent and putting them on the air. Who was funny last season? Cecily and Kate. Who are you going to see almost as much as Taran next season? Cecily and Kate.

Next topic.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hennes81

[126]Aug 28, 2013
    • level: 6

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Next topic.

I'm predicting either Robin Thicke or Miley Cyrus to be on the season premiere (maybe the second show).
    If they really want to profit from the VMA coverage maybe they will have both on the same night with Miley as host.

Edited on 08/28/2013 1:51am

Woodstein

[127]Aug 28, 2013
    • level: 14
    I don't think anyone will care about what happened at the VMAs by this time next month. Taylor Swift hosted not long after Kanye West made the news by interrupting her acceptance speech, but that was mentioned only briefly, and she probably would have been booked to host no matter what had happened at that year's ceremony.

Hennes81

[128]Aug 28, 2013

I'm not saying they will be booked just because of the VMAs. I'm just saying the reports this week could have improved their chances to be asked.

Anyway both of them would have had good chances to be booked (especially Thicke since he had a "summer hit").
    O.K., Miley has no upcoming movies but she was good at hosting. If her music maintains to be sucessful she is a logical candidate for hosting this season.

Ruckhappy

[129]Aug 28, 2013

If I had to guess now I'd guess Jennifer Aniston to host the opener as a way to bring back Sudeikis for a "Seems like I never left" cameo. We're The Millers is turning out to be a solid summer hit. Nothing that big is scheduled to premiere in September so Millers may still be the hottest comedy in theaters by the end of the month.

JM5000

[131]Aug 28, 2013
    • level: 8

Lady Gaga's new hit is already high on the charts...I'm thinking now is the time to have her host if any...

Will Arnett should host to promote the new season of Arrested Development...

And I'd like to throw in a wildcard: Sarah Silverman. She's been fairly relevant as of late with Wreck-It Ralph and so on...It can be like Martin Short, where she doesn't really have anything to promote, but since she's been doing a few things at least, including a blockbuster animated film, maybe they can finally let her shine on the show...But like I said, it's a wildcard...They might first bring back Andy Samberg...

JustinRAn

[132]Aug 28, 2013
    • level: 12
    Justin Timberlake has a movie (Runner, Runner) and 20/20 Pt 2 coming out around September 28th

JustinRAn

[133]Aug 28, 2013
    • level: 12
    JM5000 wrote:

Lady Gaga's new hit is already high on the charts...I'm thinking now is the time to have her host if any...

Will Arnett should host to promote the new season of Arrested Development...

And I'd like to throw in a wildcard: Sarah Silverman. She's been fairly relevant as of late with Wreck-It Ralph and so on...It can be like Martin Short, where she doesn't really have anything to promote, but since she's been doing a few things at least, including a blockbuster animated film, maybe they can finally let her shine on the show...But like I said, it's a wildcard...They might first bring back Andy Samberg...

Sarah Silverman is in the Seth McFarlane movie due May 30th, 2014

Lady Gaga is in Machete Kills due October 4th

And John Solomon has the Nut Job, Due January 17th, 2014

Ruckhappy

[134]Aug 29, 2013

I'm sure they're looking to have Silverman host at some point, and have been for a while. She's such a natural that they might just ask her to host sometime when she doesn't have a project to plug.

Will Arnett had the ill grace to divorce the much-loved Amy Poehler. He'll host when hell freezes over.

Pegg I would put in the Danny McBride category: they know he'll be funny if he hosts, but he's not quite famous enough yet.

I expect that they will go with fewer rookie hosts in the first third of the season. One of the problems they had last year was breaking in a lot of new cast while working with just one experienced host in the first six shows (Applegate having hosted so long ago she didn't really count). This season they'll start out with almost half the cast having less than two seasons of experience and 3-4 new writers so I would expect to see the likes of Hanks, Hamm, etc. I like Amy Poehler's chances of winning an acting Emmy this year, and if she does I bet they'll have her host again.

Will Ferrell should be a lock to host the Christmas show to plug Anchorman 2. Probably with cameos by Carell, Rudd, Koechner, etc.

Royce7815

[135]Aug 30, 2013
    • level: 4

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/08/lindsay-lohan-saturday-night-live-host-season-opener/

She doesn't really have anything coming up does she? Though i guess she didn't the last time either.

Hennes81

[136]Aug 31, 2013

Royce7815 wrote:

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/08/lindsay-lohan-saturday-night-live-host-season-opener/

I didn't care when she hosted last year but I really hope it's just a rumour this time. She was really bad on her last show and with so many young cast members this could turn out to be a bad season opener.

Also she should have proven she can handle the pressure of a live show when she hosts the fifth time.

Woodstein

[137]Aug 31, 2013
    Lohan was in a movie called "The Canyons" a few months back, which has made a grand total of $50,165 so far, if that counts. When she hosted last year, I could understand if she was trying to show that she was ready to put the troubles of her past behind her, but she just went back to screwing up afterwards. Any attempt to have her host again at this point would just feel like they were doing it out of pity.

JM5000

[138]Aug 31, 2013

I'll say it again: Since this is a pretty big transition season, it only makes sense to start off with someone they know can be a good host. Jon Hamm can host the premiere just because, or maybe one of the other old favorites like Timberlake, Baldwin, Martin or Hanks (though three of those picks have already hosted season premieres at least once, and the other hosted earlier this year, even though I know there's more to promote now). Lohan just isn't the right choice to open the season...

Edited on 08/31/2013 2:20pm

HelloStuart

[139]Sep 1, 2013
    • level: 63
    JM5000 wrote:

I'll say it again: Since this is a pretty big transition season, it only makes sense to start off with someone they know can be a good host. Jon Hamm can host the premiere just because, or maybe one of the other old favorites like Timberlake, Baldwin, Martin or Hanks (though three of those picks have already hosted season premieres at least once, and the other hosted earlier this year, even though I know there's more to promote now). Lohan just isn't the right choice to open the season...

JM5K, you nailed it right on the head. Beyond the fact that Lohan is an undeserving five-timer, she's got baggage on and off the show.

My initial prediction was Lena Dunham/MGMT, but I think a veteran host would be more suitable.

JM5000

[140]Sep 2, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

JM5K, you nailed it right on the head. Beyond the fact that Lohan is an undeserving five-timer, she's got baggage on and off the show. My initial prediction was Lena Dunham/MGMT, but I think a veteran host would be more suitable.

When it comes to musical guests, they tend to start the season with someone who released their newest album (or at least their big single) early in the year...That's why my prediction for premiere musical guest would be between Robin Thicke and Blake Shelton...MGMT sounds fitting for episode numero dos.

They would be taking a HUGE risk by having Lohan host the premiere of this big transition season, especially after her last appearance...Last time she hosted, I was convinced that Jon Hamm was going to host (to promote that one movie he was in the following week), but was quickly replaced by Lohan due to her requests so instead cameoed (and that's why they used that gag, "We have Jon Hamm on standby.") I had no problem with it then, because I did kinda feel Hamm would get annoying as a once-a-season host (yeah, I know Martin, Goodman and Henry did it before, but I think I would have been annoyed at them as well had I been watching the show back then like I do now...Just saying...) I appreciate hosts breaking up their appearances a bit, but now that Hamm's gone two full seasons without hosting, I think this following premiere would be the perfect time to come back...This time, I don't want Lohan to steal that opportunity from him, especially since I feel her last appearance has not earned her a comeback...

Ruckhappy

[141]Sep 2, 2013

There's no point in discussing Lohan. There's zero chance she's going to host this season.

My veteran picks for the opener are John Goodman and the Poel-cat at the moment, with Jennifer Aniston as a possibility (plugging We're The Millers).

Woodstein

[142]Sep 3, 2013
    As far as musical guests go, I was thinking The National might make an appearance. Their last album came out back in May, but I'm guessing the people in charge of booking weren't able to fit them in at the end of last season.

Lady Gaga seems pretty likely to perform, and perhaps even host, since she was in more sketches than most of the cast when she appeared on the Year 36 finale.

The Black Keys and Arcade Fire have albums coming out later this year/early next year, and I think their performances have been good enough to warrant more appearances.

Supposedly, Beck has been working on two albums. He hasn't been on the show in seven years, but since then he's only put out one album, some soundtrack songs, and a collection of sheet music.

Ruckhappy

[143]Sep 4, 2013

Now the rumor is that Gaga will host/MG the opener. I'm not buying it. One or the other, yes, but not both. And not, I think, the opener. Second or third show seems more likely.

JM5000

[144]Sep 4, 2013

I'd say Gaga will probably pull double duty for the Halloween special. (Her album comes out near the beginning of November and she just screams Halloween!)

JM5000

[145]Sep 7, 2013

Here are my official predictions for musical guests for the first half of the season:

Arcade Fire

The Black Keys

Blake Shelton

Daft Punk

Eminem

Lady Gaga

Robin Thicke

The Wanted

Anyone else, we'll just have to wait and see about...But for now, I'll consider Kings of Leon, MGMT, Foster the People and Franz Ferdinand as possibilities...