Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

JM5000

[146]Sep 9, 2013
    • level: 7

Third post in a row; I know, it's getting annoying...

So now that the first few episodes have been announced, I'm gonna go out on a limb and make predictions for all the shows of the first half of the season...Naturally, they will very likely be wrong, especially the more ambitious guesses, but I feel that they would make sense...

9/28/13: Tina Fey/Arcade Fire

10/5/13: Miley Cyrus

10/12/13: Bruce Willis/Katy Perry

10/19/13: Lady Gaga

11/2/13: Will Arnett/Eminem

11/9/13: Neil Patrick Harris/Robin Thicke

11/16/13: Emma Watson/The Wanted

12/7/13: Chloe Grace Moretz/Lorde

12/14/13: Hugh Jackman/The Black Keys (or maybe...perhaps...BLACK SABBATH!?)

12/21/13: Sarah Silverman/Daft Punk

Needless to say, this is all subject to change...I'm thinking throughout this season that I shall make predictions for coming episodes...I mean, why not!? I do it all the time in my head...I'll just let loose, and make predictions based on what's happening in movies, music, etc. and shift my line-up based on who they book instead (and if I'm correct, sweet!) Though I'll try not to be a burden in this thread...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hennes81

[147]Sep 10, 2013
    • level: 5

All names sound good to me - I would love to see NPH and Sarah host.

I think the dates ar just guessed as well, are they? I don't believe SNL would start with 4 shows this season. After they announced the schedule for the first 3 shows they should schedule a break.

Also I think it would be good for the show just to do 2 shows in a row for the most time since quality usually sinks if they do more.

Ruckhappy

[148]Sep 10, 2013
    • level: 8

JM5000 wrote:

Er, the very Jewish Ms. Silverman hosting the Christmas episode? They wouldn't be able to do Hannukah jokes because it's very early this year. For the same reason probably not Ben Stiller to push Walter Mitty. Have they ever had a Jewish host for the Christmas show? Not that they would have an actual policy against that.

If Ferrell hosted the Christmas episode he could reprise his famous puking caroler sketch.

JustinRAn

[149]Sep 10, 2013
    • level: 12
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Er, the very Jewish Ms. Silverman hosting the Christmas episode? They wouldn't be able to do Hannukah jokes because it's very early this year. For the same reason probably not Ben Stiller to push Walter Mitty. Have they ever had a Jewish host for the Christmas show? Not that they would have an actual policy against that.

If Ferrell hosted the Christmas episode he could reprise his famous puking caroler sketch.

Right cause that's the essential Sketch for Ferrell to bring back.

JM5000

[150]Sep 11, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Right cause that's the essential Sketch for Ferrell to bring back.

I kinda picked Silverman for my prediction because almost every Christmas special they book someone who has nothing to promote...(Hugh Laurie, James Franco, Jimmy Fallon, Martin Short...) And since the last two were SNL alumni, I figured...you know...

But regardless of the whole Jewish thing, I suppose my next prediction will list the more predictable choice...As for possible sketches, I'm thinking Celebrity Jeopardy would be perfect, because they can bring back Norm MacDonald as Burt Reynolds (and of course Hammond's Connery impression) and then go from there to Seth's final show at Weekend Update, team him up with some Update All-Stars (and maybe a cameo from Ron Burgundy). Also, if my musical guest fantasy for this show comes true, maybe he can appear as Gene Frenkle and rock the cowbell while they perform "Get Lucky".

Ruckhappy

[151]Sep 11, 2013

Well, I can definitely see Silverman hosting this season. It's going to be a big year for women at SNL and I'm betting we see a lot of women hosts. It would be a natural for Silverman to host during Hannukah. She's one of the most successful SNL women alumni who has yet to host.

JM5000

[152]Sep 12, 2013

Huh...I didn't know we had the guy from those AT&T commercials with the kids joining the cast...

mrjimmyjames

[153]Sep 12, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

Well, I can definitely see Silverman hosting this season. It's going to be a big year for women at SNL and I'm betting we see a lot of women hosts. It would be a natural for Silverman to host during Hannukah. She's one of the most successful SNL women alumni who has yet to host.

What's Silverman got going for her that would make Lorne want her to host? There has to be too much animosity as well, considering she was fired via fax. One of the big mistakes made by Lorne.

Ruckhappy

[154]Sep 12, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

What's Silverman got going for her that would make Lorne want her to host? There has to be too much animosity as well, considering she was fired via fax. One of the big mistakes made by Lorne.

You're a little behind. Silverman made her peace with Lorne long ago. And she's an A-list comedian these days, famous enough to host without needing to plug a project.

They fire everyone by fax or a phone call to their agent. That's actually a pretty common practice in the biz, to let talent go by telling their rep. that their contract won't be renewed.

mrjimmyjames

[155]Sep 14, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

You're a little behind. Silverman made her peace with Lorne long ago. And she's an A-list comedian these days, famous enough to host without needing to plug a project.

They fire everyone by fax or a phone call to their agent. That's actually a pretty common practice in the biz, to let talent go by telling their rep. that their contract won't be renewed.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I've never heard that and there's no evidence to be found online. If she were to host I would think it would have happened when her show on Comedy Central existed. She's no where near as high profile as she was then. Starring in a cartoon doesn't exactly mean your career is red hot.

mrjimmyjames

[156]Sep 15, 2013

JM5000 wrote:

Huh...I didn't know we had the guy from those AT&T commercials with the kids joining the cast...

Up to five people...including the promotion of writer Mike O'Brien. Glad to see Lorne taking some initiative and attacking the vacancies head on. I also enjoy seeing someone getting promoted from within. O'Brien has been talked about in the press as a potential WU anchor.

JM5000

[157]Sep 15, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Up to five people...including the promotion of writer Mike O'Brien. Glad to see Lorne taking some initiative and attacking the vacancies head on. I also enjoy seeing someone getting promoted from within. O'Brien has been talked about in the press as a potential WU anchor.

Yeah, I realized that five people were joining, but I had no idea that one of them was the AT&T guy...

This might be an interesting season...I'm wondering if there might be a different feel to everything now...Maybe the sketches will be very different, the musical guest's stage will be changed, etc...

HelloStuart

[158]Sep 15, 2013
    • level: 63

A shocking promotion! A shocking demotion! A SIXTH new featured player?!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/business/media/saturday-night-live-setting-its-new-cast.html

HelloStuart

[159]Sep 15, 2013
    • level: 63
    Your "retooled" Year 39 cast:

REPERTORY
    Vanessa Bayer
    Aidy Bryant
    Taran Killam
    Kate McKinnon
    Seth Meyers (until December)
    Bobby Moynihan
    Nasim Pedrad
    Jay Pharaoh
    Cecily Strong
    Kenan Thompson

FEATURED
    Beck Bennett
    John Milhiser
    Kyle Mooney
    "Mike" O'Brien
    Noël Wells
    Brooks Wheelan

JustinRAn

[160]Sep 15, 2013
    • level: 12
    HelloStuart wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/business/media/saturday-night-live-setting-its-new-cast.html

Not who I would've picked for Co-Anchor but glad that Weekend Update is going back to 2 people. I would've picked Vanessa personally.

Also interesting that Late Night is only being 4 nights a week. Maybe a SNL Hour Long Repeat for Friday?

mrjimmyjames

[161]Sep 15, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

Not who I would've picked for Co-Anchor but glad that Weekend Update is going back to 2 people. I would've picked Vanessa personally. Also interesting that Late Night is only being 4 nights a week. Maybe a SNL Hour Long Repeat for Friday?

I like the choice for new co anchor but I'm disappointed to hear that if Seth doesn't stay it will become a solo anchorship again. Seth has done fine since Amy left but the return to solo was a drop in quality. It's always best to have two; it adds consistency and takes it to another level. I think I'd like to see Seth actually leave and be replaced by a second anchor. It's time for something new.

I believe Late Night is still making the same amount of episodes, they just changed up the schedule (it's in an article somewhere online). So this will result in a Friday repeat, whereas most shows take that repeat at another time (i think they let them build up and then take a week off).

Surprised they kept Tim as a writer; would have thought he'd been fired.

This season and last season proves one thing: Lorne isn't slowly replacing people anymore like he used to. He used to carefully bring a few newbies on at a time right before or after a few left. Now he just throws a handful of newbies at a every vacancy. Thank God there are no budget cuts.