Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

khidaka1

[167]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 2

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Kat Dennings as a possible guest host this season, but I know most of those who watch Two Broke Girls would really love tosee her host for the first time in her career.

She's appearing as a co-star in Thor 2: The Dark World later this year, in which she plays the role of Darcy Lewis, Jane Foster's lab assistant.

I hear she's been knocking on the door for quite some time, and I feel like this could very well be THE season Kat Dennings hosts Saturday Night Live.

If and when Kat Dennings DOES host,it would be the show on SNL I'd watch.

Fingers crossed onDennings' 1st SNL appearance.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[168]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 9

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

They fire everyone by fax or a phone call to their agent. That's actually a pretty common practice in the biz, to let talent go by telling their rep. that their contract won't be renewed.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I've never heard that and there's no evidence to be found online.

You're not looking hard enough. Lots of fired cast have talked about how they found out they'd been axed via a call from their agent.

As to Silverman, I can't remember the exact quote but she had a clip in the SNL Backstage doco. in which she said something like, "I learned so much at SNL. I was just too young to make a go of it at the time." It was a positive recollection.

Ruckhappy

[169]Sep 16, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    This season and last season proves one thing: Lorne isn't slowly replacing people anymore like he used to. He used to carefully bring a few newbies on at a time right before or after a few left. Now he just throws a handful of newbies at a every vacancy.

Smacks of desperation and poor planning, actually. They have had a record of stellar success in cast hiring the past 15-16 seasons. The gradual hiring policy mostly allowed them to avoid the chum-in-the-shark-tank approach of an overmanned cast of featured players battling it out to survive. Now they've gone totally overboard. This means that almost half the cast (the new six plus Aidy) will be competing to win 3-4 long term cast slots over the next season or two.

It's not like this is the 90's, when they hired and winnowed cast due to the mixed talent available. Of these six, 3-4 look to be very solid hires, new performers you can almost be certain will be a success. They should be able to hire just those guys and be confident of a successful season. So why are they overhiring now? Because Paul Brittain left. Because Fred stayed way too long and Kenan is still eating up a cast slot. Because they kept Bobby on the bench so long that he's not accepted by the audience as a sketch lead guy. They're shotgunning bodies at this supposed "gap" of departing veterans that exists only because Lorne has mishandled the cast so badly over the past five years.

Hennes81

[170]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 5

Ruckhappy wrote:

Smacks of desperation and poor planning, actually.

Too harsh for me. Of course Fred could have left years ago and Kenan has never been really that important to the show (besides being the only african american cast member for a long time).

The bigger problem was the strength of the Class of '05 (Wiig, Jason, Andy, Bill). The show used to be build around those 4 cast members for quite some time and after they left within 1 year, Lorne had much work of re casting. Of course he tried to do it the years before but there were just a few featured players who could break through while the Class of '05 was leading (Bobby and Taram; Kate and Cecily last season).

You could argue they should have done these changes before but since the show worked fine with it's veteran performers they had no urgency to do it. Of course, know they have to do in 2 years what they could have done the 3 or 4 seasons before.

Ruckhappy

[171]Sep 16, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Smacks of desperation and poor planning, actually.

Too harsh for me. Of course Fred could have left years ago and Kenan has never been really that important to the show (besides being the only african american cast member for a long time).

The bigger problem was the strength of the Class of '05 (Wiig, Jason, Andy, Bill). The show used to be build around those 4 cast members for quite some time and after they left within 1 year, Lorne had much work of re casting. Of course he tried to do it the years before but there were just a few featured players who could break through while the Class of '05 was leading (Bobby and Taram; Kate and Cecily last season).

You could argue they should have done these changes before but since the show worked fine with it's veteran performers they had no urgency to do it.

"This ship doesn't need watertight bulkheads, sir! The Titanic is unsinkable without them!"

Hennes81 wrote:
    Of course, know they have to do in 2 years what they could have done the 3 or 4 seasons before.

Uh, exactly. Subtract out the bad firings/departures and delayed hirings due to keeping on veteran cast too long and they could have come into the offseason with this cast:

Casey or Michaela as a seasoned vet

Bobby

Nasim

Taran

Vanessa

Paul Brittain with three seasons of experience

Jay or a better Jay/Obama replacement

Kate with two seasons of experience already

Cecily

Aidy

Beck Bennett with one season of experience already

Kyle Mooney with one season of experience already

This sets you up for hiring only two new cast this season and an established cast that is more experienced and yet still in its creative prime. Idealized hindsight? Not at all, not if you're willing to cut Fred and Kenan two seasons earlier and Abby a season earlier. What did SNL get from them in those three seasons combined? Mostly a lot of crap...and that was predictable! It was obvious that Fred and Kenan checked out two seasons ago. It was obvious that Abby was a hopeless casualty after her third season. Bennett and Mooney have been on their radar for over a year. If they'd cut Fred and Kenan, they could have hired those two a year ago.

khidaka1

[172]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 2

Now that Cecily Strong is joining Weekend Update, is it possible she'll still perform in a majority of the sketches she normally appears in on the show? I heard Fallon, Fey and Poehler were still able to perform in the regular sketches, in addition to being co-anchors on Weekend Update.

JustinRAn

[173]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 12
    Is anyone else starting to think this person is a troll?

avmon

[174]Sep 16, 2013
    • level: 16
    khidaka1 wrote:

Now that Cecily Strong is joining Weekend Update, is it possiblekt oerfirned ub tge she'll still perform in a majority of the sketches she normally appears in on the show? I heard Fallon, Fey and Poehler were still able to perform in the regular sketches, in addition to being co-anchors on Weekend Update.

Uh, Fey rarely performed in the regular sketches...

Ruckhappy

[175]Sep 17, 2013

Fallon was one of the main male lead sketch players only a couple of seasons, so doing Update didn't effect his sketch work that much. Poehler was just superhuman.

Luckily, there are a lot of other talented women in the cast currently, so cutting back on Cecily's sketch time won't hurt the show. What you won't see is her being in the cold open and two of the first-half sketches the way that Wiig often was.

evildevil97

[176]Sep 17, 2013
    • level: 26
    Tim Robinson was my favourite newbie last season. Disappointed he's got the demotion, but pleased he's still with the show nonetheless. His offbeat sense of humour (Z SHIRT!) worked for me better than most modern SNL'ers.

mrjimmyjames

[177]Sep 18, 2013
    • level: 7

[/QUOTE]

This might be an interesting season...I'm wondering if there might be a different feel to everything now...Maybe the sketches will be very different, the musical guest's stage will be changed, etc...

[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if the logo will be changed as well. It's a definite change from era to era, much like when budget cuts and Tina's departure radically changed the show in 06 (Lorne changed the logo from typeface? to the one used in the 80s to signify the change in eras).

mrjimmyjames

[178]Sep 18, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

They fire everyone by fax or a phone call to their agent. That's actually a pretty common practice in the biz, to let talent go by telling their rep. that their contract won't be renewed.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I've never heard that and there's no evidence to be found online.

You're not looking hard enough. Lots of fired cast have talked about how they found out they'd been axed via a call from their agent.

As to Silverman, I can't remember the exact quote but she had a clip in the SNL Backstage doco. in which she said something like, "I learned so much at SNL. I was just too young to make a go of it at the time." It was a positive recollection.

I'm not talking about fax, I can believe that plenty have been let go that way. I'm talking about her and Lorne making up. The quote you gave still doesn't give much indication of that. I'm sure everybody would say in retrospect that they learned so much and admit they were too young. Just because it's positive doesn't mean her and Lorne were cool.

mrjimmyjames

[179]Sep 18, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

Fallon was one of the main male lead sketch players only a couple of seasons, so doing Update didn't effect his sketch work that much. Poehler was just superhuman.

Luckily, there are a lot of other talented women in the cast currently, so cutting back on Cecily's sketch time won't hurt the show. What you won't see is her being in the cold open and two of the first-half sketches the way that Wiig often was.

I always thought that Fallon was constantly being shoved back into a box (WU) and then usually at some point would finally find his way out and start taking over the show with his sketches again. I hate seeing that happen with cast members, so I hope Cecily won't end up like that (although I thought Seth sucked at them, so I'm fine with him not doing sketches).

mrjimmyjames

[180]Sep 18, 2013

avmon wrote:
    khidaka1 wrote:

Now that Cecily Strong is joining Weekend Update, is it possiblekt oerfirned ub tge she'll still perform in a majority of the sketches she normally appears in on the show? I heard Fallon, Fey and Poehler were still able to perform in the regular sketches, in addition to being co-anchors on Weekend Update.

Although I think I would have liked to have seen her in more. The show may have missed out.

HelloStuart

[181]Sep 18, 2013
    • level: 63
    avmon wrote:
    khidaka1 wrote:

Ditto Dennis Miller and Colin Quinn.

HelloStuart

[182]Sep 18, 2013
    • level: 63

Ruckhappy wrote:

Of course, that's if Cece's workload is cut, which I doubt.

The word in the provinces is that Tim wanted to be demoted. He never felt comfortable on-screen, yet at the same time he was a dominant voice on pitch day.

Edited on 09/18/2013 5:56am

evildevil97

[183]Sep 18, 2013
    When was the last time a castmember was demoted like that? I almost want to guess Jim Downey but I feel like there has to be something more recent,

Ruckhappy

[184]Sep 18, 2013

evildevil97 wrote:
    When was the last time a castmember was demoted like that? I almost want to guess Jim Downey but I feel like there has to be something more recent,

Seth, and before that Fred Wolf.

evildevil97

[185]Sep 18, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

evildevil97 wrote:

Seth, and before that Fred Wolf.

Seth Meyers wasn't demoted from cast member to writer. He's still considered a repretory player, even though he only serves as head writer and update anchor. Fred Wolf makes sense.