Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 39 Predictions

Ruckhappy

[186]Sep 18, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    Of course, that's if Cece's workload is cut, which I doubt.

"Cut" relative to how it probably would have grown this season. Actually, they'll probably feature her quite a lot in the first half of the season and then have to pull back her sketch time when she takes over Update.

I think you're forgetting, Stu, how much Update has grown to become an almost standalone segment within SNL. The last person to do it solo while still doing a lot of sketch leads was Chevy, and Update was a much smaller segment then. Just the news pieces along are a big line load to carry, right in the middle of the show. Plus the anchor needs to set up and sometimes participate in the sit-in bits. Plus the Update anchor is expected to help write Update. Have you ever listened to Norm talk about the time he put in on writing Update material? That is a lot of show-load to drop on someone in her second season.

I think Lorne is going overboard with his Wiig-like mania for Cecily. I loved or liked her in 100% of her appearances last season. I can't think of a clinker she did. But she was still plenty green last season. There were many times where I could see her working too broadly to the camera. And her character work was just adequate in a number of sketches. Girlfriends Talk Show? Aidy was funnier in those than Cecily (though, to be fair, that's how that sketch's premise is structured).

And the writers will need to develop new material for her. She's blown through all her rookie material and now she and the writers have to come up with lots of new stuff. Swarovski Crystals? Good for maybe another couple shots and then it's done. Girl at the Party? Same. Has she got a killer signature impression? Don't remember one from last season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[187]Sep 19, 2013
    • level: 63
    evildevil97 wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

evildevil97 wrote:
    When was the last time a castmember was demoted like that? I almost want to guess Jim Downey but I feel like there has to be something more recent,

Seth, and before that Fred Wolf.

Seth Meyers wasn't demoted from cast member to writer. He's still considered a repretory player, even though he only serves as head writer and update anchor. Fred Wolf makes sense.

Wolf was credited in a handful of episodes but barely a featured player. Also, he left midway though Year 22.

HelloStuart

[188]Sep 19, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Of course, that's if Cece's workload is cut, which I doubt.

"Cut" relative to how it probably would have grown this season. Actually, they'll probably feature her quite a lot in the first half of the season and then have to pull back her sketch time when she takes over Update.

I think you're forgetting, Stu, how much Update has grown to become an almost standalone segment within SNL. The last person to do it solo while still doing a lot of sketch leads was Chevy, and Update was a much smaller segment then. Just the news pieces along are a big line load to carry, right in the middle of the show. Plus the anchor needs to set up and sometimes participate in the sit-in bits. Plus the Update anchor is expected to help write Update. Have you ever listened to Norm talk about the time he put in on writing Update material? That is a lot of show-load to drop on someone in her second season.

I think Lorne is going overboard with his Wiig-like mania for Cecily. I loved or liked her in 100% of her appearances last season. I can't think of a clinker she did. But she was still plenty green last season. There were many times where I could see her working too broadly to the camera. And her character work was just adequate in a number of sketches. Girlfriends Talk Show? Aidy was funnier in those than Cecily (though, to be fair, that's how that sketch's premise is structured).

And the writers will need to develop new material for her. She's blown through all her rookie material and now she and the writers have to come up with lots of new stuff. Swarovski Crystals? Good for maybe another couple shots and then it's done. Girl at the Party? Same. Has she got a killer signature impression? Don't remember one from last season.

I was using Fallon as my reference point. Cece will still appear in sketches but she won't be the "go-to" in the vein of Will Ferrell or Wiigy. Besides, as much I loved Girl at a Party, the character had already run its course. Heck, I said that back in May.

JM5000

[189]Oct 1, 2013
    • level: 7

I'm gonna make another set of predictions...Not much has changed, but this time I'll explain the logic:

11/2/2013: Simon Pegg/Eminem

Judging from our first three scheduled shows as well as the one that will likely take place the week after this, the logical line-up for this episode would be pure male. Also, since all of our first three hosts are recurring, the next one should probably be someone new...While I remember what Stuart said about Pegg's level of fame, I still find him a good choice to host the two-days-after-Halloween special. (If nothing else I can at least hope...) As for Mr. Mathers, his new album drops the Monday after, so this will be the logical place to put him, especially since his new song's still pretty high in the charts.

11/9/2013: Lady Gaga

We know this show is coming, and judging from the rumors, this will be when they schedule it.

11/16/2013: Neil Patrick Harris/Robin Thicke

Final season of HIMYM...His return is overdue...Now would probably be a good time to bring him back...As for Thicke, I am merely guessing him based on the popularity of "Blurred Lines" and nothing else...Every now and then SNL is willing to book the hit of the summer, so I'll at least consider him...

11/23/2013: Sarah Silverman/The Wanted

Ruck argued that if Silverman is to host this season, it should probably be for the early Hanukkah this year...Well then, I guess this would be the show to book her for then...(Otherwise, they could always bring back Jennifer Lawrence for the new Hunger Games movie...) While Miley Cyrus and to a degree Katy Perry almost fill the teeny-bopper quota for the season, it never seems to be complete to the producers without a boyband (or a singer who might as well be in a boyband). The Wanted would probably be the most likely choice in that regard, especially since they're actually not that bad by boyband standards (not great by any means, but not bad...)

12/7/2013: Chloe Grace Moretz/Lorde

Assuming "Carrie" does well enough, since if they were going to have her pre-plug the movie, it would have been in place of Willis...But seriously, I cannot think of a more fitting match-up than these two sixteen-year-old females. If nothing else, Lorde is an almost-certainty since her album is doing well and her song "Royals" is at number three on the charts right now.

12/14/2013: ???/Black Sabbath

I don't know who it should be for this show, but the logical choice would be another male that's broken out recently...As for Sabbath, it's a HUGE long-shot, but my predictions are partially who I hope to see, so I can at least dream...If not, maybe Black Keys or some other rock band...

12/21/2013: Will Ferrell/Daft Punk

I now accept Ferrell as the most likely candidate for the Christmas special with the new Anchorman movie coming out...I'll try to stifle my Daft Punk fanboy and consider the factors for and against them to perform, specifically for the last show of the year...For: "Get Lucky" is a big hit, and in my opinion, for good reason, their new album got critical praise, and they have the likely guests like Pharrell Williams to promise some big performances...Against: Masked techno robots from France that don't exactly sing their songs (at least without robotic distortions) are VERY outside SNL's usual standards for musical guests, the song and album were mostly at their peak some months ago, the Christmas special is usually reserved for recurring musical guests (though there have been exceptions in more recent seasons, like Muse four years ago), and most dangerously of all, there could be another interference by their record label similar to the VMA/Colbert incident...I really wanna see these guys close out the year on SNL, but I will not deny these sad possibilities...

JM5000

[190]Oct 12, 2013

Me again...

So Eminem just released a new single as well as revealed the tracks for his new album...That should make him a lock for the November 2nd show, unless the producers want to wait and see how his new album does first...

Also, it has just come to my attention that Paul McCartney is releasing yet another album, and even though it isn't even out yet, it's already getting some good reviews...And his new single...ehh..."New"...I've definitely been hearing it recently in the Michael J. Fox Show commercials and I think also the end credits for "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2". In fact, maybe it's finally time for the old Beatle to try his chops at hosting this show...(Yeah, I know, that would make him the third double-duty host in just a few months, but still...) The ideal place to put him would probably be the second-to-last show of 2013...

JM5000

[191]Oct 16, 2013

Okay, I think I have the rest of the year figured out for the musical guests...Of course, I've been proven wrong multiple times before on this show, but still, this definitely sounds like a reasonable line-up for the last five shows of the year:

11/9/13: Lady Gaga. This has pretty much already been confirmed, especially since if they want her on the show, they might want to book her for before the album is released, because if the album is a flop, it will be too late to even consider her...

11/16/13: ???. My guess will be some kind of band...Maybe the Black Keys, maybe Imagine Dragons, or maybe some new breakout band I haven't heard of yet...If anyone has any leads, let me know...

11/30/13: Lorde. This young lady pretty much has it locked, and Episode #8 sounds like the right time to book her...

12/7/13: Paul McCartney. His new album is arguably even better than the last one...Seeing that it's hard for SNL to say no to this guy, I'm thinking that he will not only perform again, he will also take a crack at hosting...

12/14/13: Daft Punk. I know, I know! You're sick of me blabbering on about these two rustbuckets, but I swear I've never been so determined to have a certain guest for a certain show...I just feel VERY strongly that it shouldn't be anyone else but them (featuring Pharrell Williams and maybe Panda Bear...)

HelloStuart

[192]Oct 24, 2013
    JM5000 wrote:

Okay, I think I have the rest of the year figured out for the musical guests...Of course, I've been proven wrong multiple times before on this show, but still, this definitely sounds like a reasonable line-up for the last five shows of the year:

11/9/13: Lady Gaga. This has pretty much already been confirmed, especially since if they want her on the show, they might want to book her for before the album is released, because if the album is a flop, it will be too late to even consider her...

11/16/13: ???. My guess will be some kind of band...Maybe the Black Keys, maybe Imagine Dragons, or maybe some new breakout band I haven't heard of yet...If anyone has any leads, let me know...

11/30/13: Lorde. This young lady pretty much has it locked, and Episode #8 sounds like the right time to book her...

12/7/13: Paul McCartney. His new album is arguably even better than the last one...Seeing that it's hard for SNL to say no to this guy, I'm thinking that he will not only perform again, he will also take a crack at hosting...

12/14/13: Daft Punk. I know, I know! You're sick of me blabbering on about these two rustbuckets, but I swear I've never been so determined to have a certain guest for a certain show...I just feel VERY strongly that it shouldn't be anyone else but them (featuring Pharrell Williams and maybe Panda Bear...)

My only issue with Daft Punk is that they almost never do American TV. If the producers wanted our two favorite android Frenchmen, they would've been booked before Random Access Memories came out.

JM5000

[193]Oct 25, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

My only issue with Daft Punk is that they almost never do American TV. If the producers wanted our two favorite android Frenchmen, they would've been booked before Random Access Memories came out.

They were probably reluctant...They probably just wanted to see how the new album did. Besides, they kinda have a thing these days against having a first-time musical guest close the season, especially when they had Kanye as an option, and any episode before that probably wouldn't have felt right.

While I can see what you mean about performing on American TV, you never know...SNL helped promote the album with that teaser last season, so maybe the two bots owe them for the help...Just for the record, I was expecting Paul McCartney by the end of Season 37 (if ever for last year's album), and he ended up performing for the next season's Christmas special...

Not saying DP is guaranteed, especially with both your factors and the ones I already considered...It just sounds very nice for SNL to celebrate a legitimately good song on a legitimately good album by a legitimately good band that made a huge impact this year and can appeal to all sorts of music crowds as opposed to some band, rapper or pop diva just because they have a history of putting on flamboyant performances, even if their music might be considered just fair at best...

I'm still angry that Adele didn't perform during Season 37 when she pretty much ruled the music world and had legitimately good songs to back that up...She pretty much deserved to be on that season more than ANY of the musical guests that they actually booked (yes, even the good ones...)

If Daft Punk's not the musical guest for the Christmas special, I'll just sulk and accept that it is what it is...And I'll conclude that they would have gladly booked DP if only they were given the chance...But still, I have my fingers crossed (plus I'm making constant requests on SNL's Facebook page, and most of those tend to get a like or two...)

Hennes81

[194]Oct 25, 2013
    • level: 5

JM5000 wrote:
    I'm still angry that Adele didn't perform during Season 37 when she pretty much ruled the music world and had legitimately good songs to back that up...She pretty much deserved to be on that season more than ANY of the musical guests that they actually booked (yes, even the good ones...)

I don't believe SNL hasn't asked her. Keep in mind she tries to get some privacy and announced her (current) departure from showbusiness one year ago (after Skyfall was released). Also if someone doesn't need to promote new music on broacast tv, it's Adele!

JM5000 wrote:
    If Daft Punk's not the musical guest for the Christmas special, I'll just sulk and accept that it is what it is...And I'll conclude that they would have gladly booked DP if only they were given the chance...

McCartney seems like a logical choice for a christmas show since he also plays some harmonic or classic songs. Even Paul Simon (without a new album) should be a better choice for the christmas show in my mind. Of course Daft Punk could be booked for every other show this season - even in spring (e.g. the Black Eyed Peas were also booked when their album was released a long time before).

JM5000

[195]Oct 25, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

I don't believe SNL hasn't asked her. Keep in mind she tries to get some privacy and announced her (current) departure from showbusiness one year ago (after Skyfall was released). Also if someone doesn't need to promote new music on broacast tv, it's Adele!

JM5000 wrote:
    If Daft Punk's not the musical guest for the Christmas special, I'll just sulk and accept that it is what it is...And I'll conclude that they would have gladly booked DP if only they were given the chance...

McCartney seems like a logical choice for a christmas show since he also plays some harmonic or classic songs. Even Paul Simon (without a new album) should be a better choice for the christmas show in my mind. Of course Daft Punk could be booked for every other show this season - even in spring (e.g. the Black Eyed Peas were also booked when their album was released a long time before).

I understand that circumstances kept them from booking Adele for a spot when she was at her peak...I just couldn't help feeling that she SHOULD have been on that season...

McCartney might be a repetitive choice for the Christmas special since he got it last year...Daft Punk aside, they should probably give the honors to someone else this year...

I just think that DP works for the Christmas special because they're...different. Plus, all of their singles have guests, which feels like a good combo for the special...I just don't think there's a requirement that the MG for the Christmas show HAS to be classy like Buble, Simon or McCartney...Unlike the finale, it doesn't have to be someone they're familiar with either...It's good to switch things up...

But I have had time to think things over...DP might be just as hard to acquire as Adele if not even harder...Whatever the choice, I'll just have to accept it, since it's not worth freaking out over...But if they can't get them, maybe they can try another unconventional MG that one wouldn't usually expect on this show...

wichovettorazzi

[196]Oct 30, 2013

wichovettorazzi wrote:

How About:

September 21- Jon Hamm

September 28- Neil Patrick Harris

October 5- Emma Watson

October 26- Rachel McAdams

November 2- Jason Bateman

November 9- Amy Adams

November 16- Jennifer Lawrence

December 7- Jeff Daniels

December 14- Hugh Jackman

January 11- Asiz Ansari

January 18- Andy Samberg

February 8- Rebel Wilson

February 15- Jimmy Fallon

March 15- Jim Parsons

March 22- Lena Dunham

March 29- John Krasinski

April 5- Julia Louis-Dreyfus

April 12- Emma Stone

May 3- Bryan Cranston

May 10- Eric Stonestreet

May17- Robin Williams

So far 5 misses. None of the actual hosts are on my list. I like my list better though, besides Tina Fey and MAYBE Bruce Willis, I wouldn't have brought any of the other hosts in the season so far.

Note. By the time this was written only 5 episodes had aired.

JM5000

[197]Dec 17, 2013

Alright, here are my possible predictions for musical guests for the second half:

Lorde

Beyonce

Cee Lo Green

Foster the People

The Black Keys

Beck

U2

Adele

Foo Fighters

Fun.

Of course, it's all going to depend on when each of them release their new albums. Right now, Lorde and Beyonce have their albums out and are doing quite well with them...(Though they didn't jump on Lorde when she was number one in the charts...)

Everyone else, it's all going to depend, because obviously they can't do too many recurring guests in the same season, especially since the first half was already loaded with them...

Though Beck and U2's release dates have been decided (until further notice), so if SNL still gives a crap about either of them...(They've been more about musical guests who last performed within the last three years lately, you notice that?

JustinRAn

[198]Dec 19, 2013
    • level: 12
    My Host Choices for Pt. 2 (All dates are guesses)

January 11- Sean Hayes/ Thomas Lennon (Sean Saves the World)
    January 18- Chris Pine (Jack Ryan)
    February 8- Elizabeth Banks (Lego Movie)
    February 15- Kevin Hart (About Last Night)
    March 8- Ty Burrell (Mr. Peabody and Sherman)
    March 15- Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars Movie)
    April 12- Chris Evans (Captain America 2)
    April 19- Cameron Diaz (The Other Woman)
    May 3- Martin Short (Legend of Oz)
    May 10- Robert Downey Jr. (Chef)
    May 17- Seth McFarlane (A Million Ways To Die In the West)

Hennes81

[199]Dec 20, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    (All dates are guesses)
    (...)
    February 8- Elizabeth Banks (Lego Movie)
    February 15- Kevin Hart (About Last Night)

The winter olympics are held between Feb 7th and 23rd. Since there would be no live events at 11:30 ET they could try to squeeze in one or two SNLs but I doubt it (the early events in Sochi could interfere with the West Coast airing).

So there might be one SNL on Feb 1st followed by a long olympic break.

JustinRAn

[200]Dec 20, 2013
    Dang I forgot that. Shows how much I care about the Olympics. I'll add 2 dates then

January 25- Kevin Hart (Ride Along)
    February 1- Elizabeth Banks (Lego Movie)

I know that means 4 weeks of shows but it also gives them 3 weeks off.

JM5000

[201]Dec 20, 2013

January 11- Sean Hayes/ Thomas Lennon (Sean Saves the World): A little early to be promoting that show...
    January 18- Chris Pine (Jack Ryan): Maybe...
    February 8- Elizabeth Banks (Lego Movie): They don't tend to have hosts promote voice roles...
    February 15- Kevin Hart (About Last Night): Possibly...
    March 8- Ty Burrell (Mr. Peabody and Sherman): Again, this is an animated movie...
    March 15- Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars Movie): I dunno...
    April 12- Chris Evans (Captain America 2): I don't know if I would care for this host...(Barely cared for the first Captain America movie...)
    April 19- Cameron Diaz (The Other Woman): Been a while since we've seen her...(And no, that's not a reason against the possibility...)
    May 3- Martin Short (Legend of Oz): Another animated movie...
    May 10- Robert Downey Jr. (Chef): They've missed so many opportunities with this guy, I've pretty much given up on him by now...
    May 17- Seth McFarlane (A Million Ways To Die In the West): I don't think McFarlane would be my ideal choice for the finale, especially since I didn't really care that much for his previous appearance...Though I suppose the producers might disagree...

As for my own host predictions, I have no sure ideas because I need to look over the upcoming 2014 movies a little more carefully...But here's who I can see serving as the last three hosts of this season:

May 3 - Mark Wahlberg: Marky Mark has in recent years shown that he has some comedic chops, and with his upcoming role in Transformers 4, now seems like a good time to give him a shot on a live stage...

May 10 - Andy Samberg: Usually a former cast member serves as one of the last hosts of each season (34: Ferrell, 36: Fey, 37: Ferrell, 38: Wiig), and since this season's filled the quota of two RECURRING former cast member hosts, we need at least one first-timer, and I think Samberg is next in line for that honor...His new show hasn't gone a whole season yet, but it's doing well enough that I wouldn't be surprised if our producers are that eager to bring him back...

May 17 - Tom Hanks: He won't have any upcoming roles to promote, but since he's likely to be nominated for both Captain Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks, it will kinda be in the same vein as Affleck closing out last season (even though Affleck had that movie with Timberlake to promote...) This is more what I WANT to see for the finale, but I won't put it past them to actually make it happen...I've been waiting to see Hanks host a finale, and ever since his cameo in the Bruno Mars episode last season, I've simply been waiting for him to host again...

JustinRAn

[202]Dec 20, 2013
    Nathan Lane was promoting Lion King
    Did John Goodman mention Monsters Inc when he hosted in 01?
    Adam Sandler cameoed for Chanukah Song 3 around the time 8 Crazy Nights came in 2002

Stu, can you help me out?

JM5000

[203]Dec 20, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    Nathan Lane was promoting Lion King Did John Goodman mention Monsters Inc when he hosted in 01? Adam Sandler cameoed for Chanukah Song 3 around the time 8 Crazy Nights came in 2002 Stu, can you help me out?

When Nathan Lane hosted, Lion King was three years old already...Not sure if Goodman was officially hosting to plug Monster's Inc. but either way, by that time, he was such a favorite that they were ready to book him for no reason at all...As for Sandler, I wouldn't say it counts if he didn't actually host, but even so, you might just say that it was because Chanukah apparently came early that year, and the song had its humble roots on the show (and was by that point being played all over the place to promote Eight Crazy Nights). There are factors that decide who is worthy of hosting the show: Relevance, popularity, impact and overall respect by the producers. I'm not trying to debunk your humble predictions, I'm just saying that in order to get SNL's blessing, it takes a little more than one simple animated role...(Although perhaps it was two or three animated roles that got them to pick Martin Short for last year's Christmas special...)

Also, there's bound to be a couple non-actors in there...Last season didn't have any athlete hosts, so it's possible that they'll make up for it with two this season...

Edited on 12/20/2013 1:21pm

Ruckhappy

[204]Dec 21, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:
    The winter olympics are held between Feb 7th and 23rd. Since there would be no live events at 11:30 ET they could try to squeeze in one or two SNLs but I doubt it (the early events in Sochi could interfere with the West Coast airing).

So there might be one SNL on Feb 1st followed by a long olympic break.

Why are you assuming they wouldn't have any Olympic events scheduled for that Sunday morning (Feb. 2)? Plus it's quite unlikely they'd try to squeeze in an East Coast live show if they knew the West Coast airing would be preempted.

Ruckhappy

[205]Dec 21, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    My Host Choices for Pt. 2 (All dates are guesses) January 11- Sean Hayes/ Thomas Lennon (Sean Saves the World) January 18- Chris Pine (Jack Ryan) February 8- Elizabeth Banks (Lego Movie) February 15- Kevin Hart (About Last Night) March 8- Ty Burrell (Mr. Peabody and Sherman) March 15- Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars Movie) April 12- Chris Evans (Captain America 2) April 19- Cameron Diaz (The Other Woman) May 3- Martin Short (Legend of Oz) May 10- Robert Downey Jr. (Chef) May 17- Seth McFarlane (A Million Ways To Die In the West)

Hart, Short and MacFarlane two seasons in a row? What are you smoking?

If RDJ hasn't hosted to plug all the Iron Man films, why would he come back to host to push Chef?

TV By The Numbers has Hayes' show on the cancellation death watch so I don't think he'll be hosting.

Banks is overdue to host but they generally don't have someone host who is plugging an animated film.

The Other Woman is an Apatow film but I wouldn't assume that Diaz still has the star power to warrant a hosting gig. Throw in a Kate Upton cameo and that might change. Or they might just try to get Upton to host.

Pine, Bell and Evans all seem like good picks. I would toss in Andy Samberg and Russell Wilson (likely Super Bowl MVP).