Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 40 Guest Hosts

lgvetto9909

[1]May 30, 2014
    • level: 1

Unlike the "Season 40 Predictions" forum, this one is exclusively so you can post your guest host predictions. Sure, guest hosts are often selected arround upcomming hit comedy movies or blockbusters, successful TV Shows, and just trendy celebrities (example: last year's Miley Cyrus, or Jennifer Lawrence during Oscar Season) but just have fun creating a wishlist realistic enough with the 21 or 22 hosts to appear next season. Last season, 4 of my personal choices actually hosted. Let's see if this year I get better

1. Jason Sudekis

2. Mindy Kailing

3. Steve Carrell

4. Emma Watson

5. Channing Tatum

6. Olivia Munn

7. Jennifer Lawrence

8. Rebel Wilson

9. Zach Efron

10. John Hamm

11. Keira Knightley

12. Emma Stone

13. John Krasinski

14. Natalie Portman

15. Terry Crews

16. Julia Louis Dreyfus

17. Chriss Pratt

18. Mark Whalberg

19. Peter Dinklage

20. Emily Blunt

21. Michael Fassbender

22. Robin Williams

For bonus points include musical guests

Edited on 05/30/2014 12:19pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]May 30, 2014
    • level: 63

It amuses me that after all these years, no one knows how spell "Sudeikis."

Edited on 05/30/2014 8:15pm

Ruckhappy

[3]May 31, 2014
    • level: 9

It could be worse. His last name could be "Galifianakis." Hey, remember when Suds first started on SNL and everyone assumed he was Greek because of his last name?

Hennes81

[4]Jun 1, 2014
    • level: 5

It's a nice idea to write such a list (instead of trying to predict exact dates). The only thing bad about it is that I now know your list and I didn't got some of your names out of my brain. So I copied those names and pasted them at the top of my list:

1. Jason Sudeikis

2. Steve Carrell

3. Emma Watson

4. Olivia Munn

5. John Hamm

6. Emma Stone

7. Michael Fassbender

8. Ricky Gervais

9. Stephen Colbert

10. Amy Poehler

11. Zach Galifinakis

12. Anne Hathaway

13. Kevin Spacey

14. Michael Buble

15. Bradley Cooper

16. Chris O'Dowd

17. Matthey McConaughey

18. Julianne Moore

19. Ben Affleck

20. Hugh Jackman

21. Bruno Mars

22. Martin Freeman (or another Hobbit actor or Peter Jackson)

Edited on 06/01/2014 3:20am

JustinRAn

[5]Jun 2, 2014
    • level: 12
    September 27- Mark Wahlberg (Transformers 4)
    October 4- Nicolas Cage (Left Behind)
    October 11- Robert Downey Jr. (The Judge)
    October 25- Emma Stone (Birdmen)
    November 1- Anne Hathaway (Interstellar)
    November 8- Casey Wilson (Marry Me)
    November 15- Ty Burrell (Modern Family)
    December 6- Reese Witherspoon (Wild)
    December 13- Cameron Diaz (Annie)
    December 20- Ben Stiller (Night at the Museum 3)
    January 10- Liam Neeson (Taken 3)
    January 17- Kevin Hart (Wedding Ringer)
    February 7- Gwyneth Paltrow (Mortdecal)
    February 14- Kerry Washington
    March 7- Dave Franco (Business Or Pleasure)
    March 14- Martin Short (Mulaney)
    April 11- Will Ferrell (Get Hard)
    April 18- Dwayne Johnson (Fast & Furious 7)
    May 2- Aubrey Plaza (Parks & Rec)
    May 9- Sofia Vergara (Don't Mess With Texas)
    May 16- Melissa McCarthy (Spy)

lgvetto9909

[6]Jun 16, 2014
    • level: 1

very clever on posting the reason they could be invited.

Although in the case of interstellar I would think Matthew McConaughey or Jessica Chastain are more likely to be invited. McConaughey for this year's Oscar buzz and True Detective, and Jessica Chastain just for being a fresh SNL face.

For Parks and Rec, Chris Pratt is more likely to show up for his participation in Guardians of the Galaxy and next year's Jurassic World. Although I agree Aubrey Plaza should host.

For Mullany I would asume they would first invite Jason Mullany for being part of the SNL family and having his big break on TV acting. Martin Short has already had his shot as an SNL host.

Ruckhappy

[7]Jun 17, 2014

Although Chris Pratt's career is a lot hotter at the moment, the reason they'd probably have Aubrey Plaza host instead of him is because she used to work at SNL as an intern. Lorne likes those kind of "family" connections.

HelloStuart

[8]Jun 18, 2014

lgvetto9909 wrote:

very clever on posting the reason they could be invited.

Although in the case of interstellar I would think Matthew McConaughey or Jessica Chastain are more likely to be invited. McConaughey for this year's Oscar buzz and True Detective, and Jessica Chastain just for being a fresh SNL face.

For Parks and Rec, Chris Pratt is more likely to show up for his participation in Guardians of the Galaxy and next year's Jurassic World. Although I agree Aubrey Plaza should host.

For Mullany I would asume they would first invite Jason Mullany for being part of the SNL family and having his big break on TV acting. Martin Short has already had his shot as an SNL host.

Who is Jason Mullany?

Edited on 06/18/2014 8:02pm

JustinRAn

[9]Jun 19, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:

Although Chris Pratt's career is a lot hotter at the moment, the reason they'd probably have Aubrey Plaza host instead of him is because she used to work at SNL as an intern. Lorne likes those kind of "family" connections.

If that was the case, then Mindy Kaling would've hosted instead of Rainn Wilson for Season 32. Just saying that the "family" connections don't guarantee hosting.

Edited on 06/19/2014 5:35pm

Ruckhappy

[10]Jun 20, 2014

Good point. Frankly, it's inexplicable to me why they haven't had Kaling host yet. She's such a natural, and just because she's starring on a show on another network...I don't get it. You have to think that, y'know, they've offered and it hasn't worked out in terms of scheduling or whatever. But still, that doesn't explain it. Maybe Lorne thinks that his writers don't know how to write for a very dark Indian woman?

She's very smart (c'mon now, Dartmouth? Dratch is a Dartmouth grad), a good writer, quick on her feet, witty, wrote a funny volume of initial memoirs...I don't get it either.

JustinRAn

[11]Jun 21, 2014
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Good point. Frankly, it's inexplicable to me why they haven't had Kaling host yet. She's such a natural, and just because she's starring on a show on another network...I don't get it. You have to think that, y'know, they've offered and it hasn't worked out in terms of scheduling or whatever. But still, that doesn't explain it. Maybe Lorne thinks that his writers don't know how to write for a very dark Indian woman?

She's very smart (c'mon now, Dartmouth? Dratch is a Dartmouth grad), a good writer, quick on her feet, witty, wrote a funny volume of initial memoirs...I don't get it either.

You just write her as a funny woman. Like they do with any woman host. Also do a sketch where she looks at herself in the mirror with Kenan as her reflection.

Also while she is on a competing network, It's also owned by NBC, in the same way Brooklyn 99 is owned by NBC.

Also odd how Rashida Jones also hasn't hosted SNL. Just saying.

HelloStuart

[12]Jul 5, 2014
    JustinRAn wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

If that was the case, then Mindy Kaling would've hosted instead of Rainn Wilson for Season 32. Just saying that the "family" connections don't guarantee hosting.

Kaling wasn't that established yet in Season 32. Wilson was unquestionably the second banana on "The Office" by that point. At that time, Creed or Phyllis would have had a better shot of hosting than Kelly.

Hennes81

[14]Aug 1, 2014

Her chances won't improve by asking for it every few months.

Still she is "just" a TV actress on a CBS sitcom. And if Lorne would book some CBS comedy actors, I think Jon Cryer's or Kaley Cuoco's chances would be better (not counting Melissa McCarthy who should be back this or next season).

khidaka1

[16]Aug 1, 2014
    • level: 2

I still think Kat Dennings deserves an opportunity to host Saturday Night Live. and I wouldn't be surprised if they DO invite her as one of the guest hosts this season.

How can you disregardor overlook Kat Dennings as a possible guest host on Saturday Night Live? It's the one thing that has eluded her as an actress.

Sure, she may be underrated and doesn't get as much publicity orexposure as some of the high-profile celebrities like Cameron Diaz or Jennifer Lawrence, but she is purely funny and sexy, and she'd fit right with the cast of SNL as one of their hosts.

At least consider her as a candidate to host SNL this season.

JM5000

[17]Aug 1, 2014
    • level: 7

khidaka1 wrote:

I still think Kat Dennings deserves an opportunity to host Saturday Night Live. and I wouldn't be surprised if they DO invite her as one of the guest hosts this season.

How can you disregardor overlook Kat Dennings as a possible guest host on Saturday Night Live? It's the one thing that has eluded her as an actress.

Sure, she may be underrated and doesn't get as much publicity orexposure as some of the high-profile celebrities like Cameron Diaz or Jennifer Lawrence, but she is purely funny and sexy, and she'd fit right with the cast of SNL as one of their hosts.

At least consider her as a candidate to host SNL this season.

If you want her to host, wait until Facebook starts taking guest suggestions (either late August or early September). That will be the perfect time to request her, and then MAYBE they'll have her on...

I'm meanwhile going to request Jon Hamm, Matthew McConaughey and Stephen Colbert, the first because it's been a few years since he last hosted, the second because he's broken out as a respected actor recently, and the third because I've been waiting and waiting for him, and if there's any time for him to finally host, it's the end of this year...

Ruckhappy

[18]Aug 2, 2014

Cuoco has a rep of being an airheaded bimbo. Mind you, so did Christina Applegate when she first hosted and she turned out to be a good host. I suspect they scouted her heavily beforehand though. If you've ever heard Cuoco talk out of character, she really does come off as a barely sentient Barbie.

Cryer is a career character nebbish who lucked into a lucrative gig, that's all. What energy would he bring to hosting SNL? Not much

Dennings is very much underrated as an actor, mostly thanks to her sex bomb physique. She would make a great host, but 2BG isn't that highly rated and it's looked down upon by folks in the biz because it's so stupidly vulgar, mainly due to the awful scripts. Still, having her host would be a great excuse for a Garrett Morris cameo.

Hennes81

[19]Aug 3, 2014

Just to be clear: I think Dennings could be a good host - I just don't see that happening since it's rare to see actresses to promote a broadcast sitcom.

Cuoco and Cryer were just examples of actors who might have small (but still better) chances to host. But I wouldn't bet on them either.

HelloStuart

[20]Aug 6, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

Just to be clear: I think Dennings could be a good host - I just don't see that happening since it's rare to see actresses to promote a broadcast sitcom.

Beside MelMac and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, of course.

I would think Kat Dennings would have a better shot if had a movie career in addition to a moderately successful but critically reviled sitcom. It would be like Nikki Cox hosting in the late '90s.