Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 40 Predictions

Ruckhappy

[1]May 1, 2014
    • level: 9

Since I'm seeing so many scattered predictions about next season, I figure it's time to start a thread for them all. Here's a few off the top of my head:

--Nobody will be cut from the cast or leave voluntarily (except, of course, Nasim), but some of the senior writers will leave.

--In general, Lorne will play a pat hand and there really won't be any major changes backstage. I'm still expecting to see Steve Higgins leave at some point to give his full focus to Jimmy's show, but I've been predicting that for awhile and it still hasn't happened.

--Wiig will host the season opener to promote The Skeleton Twins. It should be Hader hosting, of course, but the best we can realistically hope for is Hader cameos for the ep.

--Suds will host to push Horrible Bosses 2, but I think that'll be it for recent SNL alumni in terms of hosting (which is how I leave wiggle room for Bill Murray to finally come back and host again). I think Lorne booked a bunch of alumni hosts this season in order to buck up the inexperienced cast.

Jeez, that's all I've got right now. Gonna be mostly a repeat of this season. Uh, we'll see a lot more of Kate's Hillary Clinton impression as the 2016 pre-race hype ramps up, that's one thing.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]May 1, 2014
    • level: 7

Since Stephen Colbert is taking over for Letterman in 2015 (and Colbert Report will end at the end of the year), it would be great if Colbert were to host the Christmas special this year...Though the fact that Letterman is on CBS and it would be following on the heels of Fallon hosting the last one, for an NBC program no less, might prove to be an issue...But I can still cross my fingers...

Here are my Top 10 Most Likely Recurring Musical Guests to Perform Next Season, ranked based on their likeliness:

10.Mariah Carey: It's all gonna depend on how both her album and songs do...

9.Jack White: Once again, his album will have to be pretty successful, but there's no doubt in my mind that it can be...

8.Fun.: One thing I learned from Foster the People this year is that you can either continue being a success...or forever be left behind in the one year you were...How Fun's new album does will decide their future...

7.Kendrick Lamar: While I was not a big fan of his last performance, he's made a name for himself as a breakout rap artist...He'll probably still be relevant enough to come back to SNL, and I'm sure he can step it up next time, since he's one of the factors that made Imagine Dragons the best musical guest so far this season...

6.Frank Ocean: Another artist who I'm sure has the staying power to come back to SNL...Again, he was not my favorite musical guest last time, but I know he's talented...

5.Adele: With the high amount of respect she has amassed in recent years, she seems like the perfect choice for this year's Christmas special...That said, let's pray there aren't any situations similar to what kept her from making her very-well-deserved Season 37 appearance...

4.U2: Still an SNL favorite...But there's always the possibility that timing can work against them...After all, even this season, they seemed like a perfect choice to perform for a finale...

3.Lady Gaga: If Wiig is the likely choice for the Season 40 premiere, Lady Gaga may be the perfect choice to kick things off alongside her...Also, Tony Bennett should perform a number with her...

2.Kanye West: For the love of God, please give him a more modest slot this time...I'm sick of this guy getting shoved in my face...

1.Foo Fighters: One musical guest that never grows old is the always-awesome Foo Fighters! One interesting thing about them is that they always seem to be neck and neck with Beck, ever since they both came onto the scene in the mid-90s. Well, Beck's recent performance put him one-ahead of them, so it's up to the SNL producers to tie the score yet again, and I have no doubt in my mind that they will...

Woodstein

[3]May 2, 2014
    • level: 14
    I'm convinced that the show runners were planning to cut at least some of this season's new hires from the very beginning, and my picks for the most likely to go would be John, Mike, and Brooks.

There's a good chance that there will be new opening credits, and perhaps redesigned host and musical guest stages, though I was expecting them to do the latter for the past few seasons now.

JM5000

[4]May 2, 2014

Woodstein wrote:
    There's a good chance that there will be new opening credits, and perhaps redesigned host and musical guest stages, though I was expecting them to do the latter for the past few seasons now.

Didn't they already do that this season? It doesn't look like a train station anymore, so I think they indeed changed it...

Also, the opening credits tend to change every three years...So I think we have one more season to go with the current style...

HelloStuart

[5]May 2, 2014
    • level: 63
    I'd rather wait until the season is over before we start any speculating.

mrjimmyjames

[6]May 5, 2014

I expect some cast trimming, unless threre's a mass exodus of veterans.

Also I'm interested to see if Kenan leaves or not. From his perspective I don't think he should but he's at that point where I'm expecting him to jump off at any moment.

HelloStuart

[7]May 6, 2014
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I expect some cast trimming, unless there's a mass exodus of veterans.

I doubt it. Keep in mind that Kenan, Bobby, and Nasim are 1-2-3 in seniority. At the same time, Nasim is attached to that Mulaney sitcom project. However, Lorne could override her participation in that.

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Also I'm interested to see if Kenan leaves or not. From his perspective I don't think he should but he's at that point where I'm expecting him to jump off at any moment.

I totally agree. If Kenan has any intention of seeking greener pastures, he would say something any day now. He's already the longest-serving African-American cast member in show history. Then again, he might also surpass Seth and maybe Darrell.

mrjimmyjames

[8]May 6, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I expect some cast trimming, unless there's a mass exodus of veterans.

I doubt it. Keep in mind that Kenan, Bobby, and Nasim are 1-2-3 in seniority. At the same time, Nasim is attached to that Mulaney sitcom project. However, Lorne could override her participation in that.
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I totally agree. If Kenan has any intention of seeking greener pastures, he would say something any day now. He's already the longest-serving African-American cast member in show history. Then again, he might also surpass Seth and maybe Darrell.

Isn't Lorne a producer on Mulaney? There's so little room in the cast. I keep feeling like something has to happen at some point.

If I were Kenan I'd stay as long as I could until I had something else to jump off to.

mrjimmyjames

[9]May 6, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Makes me think about what was considered when Tina and Seth both were going to their respective shows. Seth supposedly would have one day off during the week and that would allow him to continue with WU. And Tina was supposedly going to quit as head writer and only do Update.

HelloStuart

[10]May 8, 2014
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Makes me think about what was considered when Tina and Seth both were going to their respective shows. Seth supposedly would have one day off during the week and that would allow him to continue with WU. And Tina was supposedly going to quit as head writer and only do Update.

Which were all things Lorne claimed, because Lorne thinks his employees are as superhuman as he is.

warqueen

[11]May 17, 2014
    • level: 5

Well now that season 39 is officially done, let "THE PREDICTION GAMES" begin:

With Andy's show tonight, as much as I deeply love Kristen Wiig (I will one day soon post the Wiig-Jon Hamm "sex Tape"), she was in 2 sketches. while Noel Wells was not in any sketches in the final 2 episodes. During the goodnights, she was standing directly behind/between Andy and 2 Chainz, with a big ass-'wow' goofy smile, that seemed to let people who are watching the show know by implying "YES: I AM STILL ALIVE!!....BUT I AM TOTALLY AWARE THE ODDS ARE ABOVE 50/50 THAT I COULD BE ROLLING SNAKE EYES & THE ACE OF SPADES IN 12 WEEKS!" This after she had a good run Dec. and March.

Stu may prove right on Noel's low comeback odds, hope he is wrong.

Edited on 05/19/2014 5:42am

JM5000

[12]May 18, 2014

So I've already made my predictions on possible musical guests for next season, now it's time to guess who I think would make perfect sense for hosts for the first half, even though some of them might be wishful thinking:

9/20/14: Kristen Wiig (The Skeleton Twins)

9/27/14: James Franco (The Interview)

10/11/14: Matthew McConaughey (Interstellar)

10/18/14: Kat Dennings (2 Broke Girls: Season 4)

10/25/14: Jim Carrey (Dumb and Dumber To)

11/15/14: Jennifer Lawrence (The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1)

11/22/14: Jason Sudeikis (Horrible Bosses 2)

12/6/14: Amy Adams (Big Eyes)

12/13/14: Robin Williams (A Friggin' Christmas Miracle/Night at the Museum 3)

12/20/14: Stephen Colbert (End of "The Colbert Report" and taking over "The Late Show")

As for cast members, I think Nasim will be let go, and so will Wells and Milhiser. Jost will be promoted to repertory player, since he's an Update anchor, and since they've done quite well so far, Beck and Kyle deserve the same early promotion...That will leave Mike, Brooks and Sasheer a chance to prove that they have what it takes to be cast members...Sasheer has done pretty well so far, but not quite as well as Beck or Kyle, so she could use another year...Also, in a just world, Kenan will finally leave at some point, and by the end of the season, Bobby and Vanessa will leave as well...

Edited on 05/18/2014 1:03am
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[13]May 19, 2014
    Apparently, Queenie didn't see Noel and John in the "Don't Drop the Bass" digital short. She was also in that dead whale sketch in Theron/Keys.

It would be a miracle if all eight featured players stayed, but right now I'd say Noel and John are the most expendable. On one hand, a crowded cast meant limited opportunities, and the uphill battle never relented. On the other, there's a reason why Beck, POB and Mooney were nabbing sketch time and they weren't. If it's not working out, it's not working out.

On a semi-related note, I am writing a full review of Samberg/Clark. Just give me a couple of days.

JustinRAn

[14]May 19, 2014
    • level: 12
    I wouldn't mind Lorne firing a couple of cast members (Beck, Kenan, Kyle, Nasim to name a few) but I think Lorne's biggest problem is that he has a big cast but treats the show like there's only 9 cast members. It reminds me of the SNL Book where Chris Elliott got dressed for 1 sketch at the end of the show. I can't remember a sketch this season with 6+ current cast members (There probably is but I can't think of one besides Twin Bed and Family Feud). He either needs to fire 6+ cast members or the writers need to write more group sketches. I'm also probably the only one on the planet who is tired of Beck/Kyle pre-taped sketches.

Since this forum will probably become this, Here is my wishes for a Season 40 Cast
    - Vanessa Bayer
    - Colin Jost (Even though he is terrible IMO)
    - Taran Killam
    - Kate McKinnon
    - Bobby Moynihan
    - Mike O'Brien
    - Jay Pharoah
    - Cecily Strong
    - Noel Wells
    - Brooks Wheelan
    - Sasheer Zamata

Psy4potato

[15]May 19, 2014
    • level: 10

The thing that stuck out for me this season was the ladies. I thought they were all outstanding and I'd like to see them all back next season. I would be fine with Nasim moving on, I like her and I think she is funny but it would then let Noel and Sasheer more screen time along with Kate, Cecily, Aidy, and Vanessa. Aidy surprised me this season, I wasn't a fan of hers last season, but she is now one of my favorite cast members. Kate McKinnon has been my favorite since she first appeared and imo is the strongest cast member on the show. Noel started off strong, and then got little to no air time, I really hope they give her another chance next year, I really liked her and I think she just didn't get the chance to spread her wings. Sasheer also was a great addition.

On the guys, I hope we get Keenan another year, I've liked him since All That. I also enjoy Bobby & Taran. The new guys didn't do too much for me, Beck and Kyle are the only two newbies I feel would be a shoe in for next season, the others all kind of got overshadowed. I've never been a Jay fan, but I don't see him going anywhere, although he did give me a few laughs throughout the season, but hey, everyone views comedy differently.

My predication for next season (may be way off due to my love of Noel):

Starring: Vanessa Bayer, Aidy Bryant, Taran Killam, Kate McKinnon, Bobby Moyniham, Jay Pharoah, Cecily Strong, & Kenan Thompson

Featuring: Beck Bennet, Colin Jost, Kyle Mooney, Noel Wells, & Sasheer Zamata

Departing: John Milhiser, Mike O'Brien, Nasim Pedrad (On that new show), & Brooks Wheelan

I also don't see any of the first years being promoted unless we get an extremely random mass cast exit again.

Edited on 05/19/2014 10:25pm

Hennes81

[16]May 19, 2014

I expect few to none changes in the cast this summer. If Nasim leaves for Mulaney (and that's not sure since her role might get recast or the series could be shot completly this summer) it might lower the chances of Noel Wells a little bit. But since other have stayed after weaker first years, I think Noel is fine.

Also Milhiser and Brooks may be in danger but I don't see both of them getting axed.

Personally I'm with you not liking the shorts by Kyle and Beck and also I think Colin isn't a good WU anchor. But it's sure Lorne might think otherwise.

Ruckhappy

[17]May 20, 2014

Sorry, I think that the idea that the producers hired all this new cast with the expectation of making selection cuts after just one season is, well, nuts. Lorne got bashed upside the head for hiring and then firing Casey, Michaela and Jenny after just one season. He's not going to plan to repeat that same mistake. That's just crazy.

No, they hired that big slug of cast because they were looking ahead to Nasim leaving to do Mulaney's show, that Kenan could leave and that Bobby, Taran and Vanessa's contracts run out in the next 2-3 seasons. Also, Kate has been so good that it's possible that NBC would want to poach her away to star in a sitcom. If you add up all these issues it makes sense that they hired six. Hiring Sasheer does make the cast even more crowded, but they managed to wedge in a decent slug of airtime for almost everyone this spring so they could run the next season with a cast this big without really slighting anyone. Subtract out Nasim and running with this big of a cast next season is feasible.

Of course, the one exception is Mike O'Brien. He's a cast casualty. He's just never going to develop into a workable member of the SNL cast. I suspect, however, that Lorne is going to give him another season. After all, he's an established member of the SNL family, and if Lorne kept all the other newbies and fired O'Brien, that would be deeply embarrassing for him. It might even kill his career completely, even as a writer. So I think Lorne gives him a pass for one more season, then cuts him with his other cast cuts after Season 40.

Ruckhappy

[18]May 20, 2014

One other prediction: the new Update team will be under serious scrutiny next season. Cecily is trying hard and has exhibited some smiling charm, but she clearly doesn't have the chops to work Update material. And, more importantly, she lacks chops in a way that indicates she's unlikely to get any better. With Jost it's obviously too early to judge, but he's also shown disturbing signs of an inability to deliver Update jokes in a way that seems to show that he may not develop into a good Update anchor.

The real problem is the dynamic of having two Update rookies simultaneously trying to figure out how to do the segment. Sure, Jimmy and Tina figured it out but that may have been a one-time thing. Since then every new Update anchor has had a seasoned partner to back them up (Amy had Tina, and then Seth had Amy). Also, Jost has very little stand-up experience and Cecily has none, I think.

Of course, left to his own devices Lorne would leave Cecily and Colin in the Update chairs until the cows came home, but he may not have that option. I have a hunch--and it's just a hunch--that Lorne may start getting pressure from NBC execs about how he's running SNL. If Cecily and Colin aren't any better at the end of next season, Lorne may be pressured into removing one or both of them.

Edited on 05/20/2014 7:43pm

Hennes81

[19]May 21, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:
    I have a hunch--and it's just a hunch--that Lorne may start getting pressure from NBC execs about how he's running SNL. If Cecily and Colin aren't any better at the end of next season, Lorne may be pressured into removing one or both of them.

I don't think NBC tries to intervene in such specific topics of Lornes work (any more). Lorne is a big power house on NBC, SNL is one of there best running shows and numerous cast members won prizes or got big contracts in TV or movies in the last years. They won't create turbulences because of the Update anchors.

The only things they would discuss about with Lorne would be big rating drops or if Lorne wants a higher budget.

JustinRAn

[20]May 21, 2014
    • level: 12
    Hennes81 wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:
    I have a hunch--and it's just a hunch--that Lorne may start getting pressure from NBC execs about how he's running SNL. If Cecily and Colin aren't any better at the end of next season, Lorne may be pressured into removing one or both of them.

I don't think NBC tries to intervene in such specific topics of Lornes work (any more). Lorne is a big power house on NBC, SNL is one of there best running shows and numerous cast members won prizes or got big contracts in TV or movies in the last years. They won't create turbulences because of the Update anchors.

The only things they would discuss about with Lorne would be big rating drops or if Lorne wants a higher budget.

Season 20
    Firing Norm
    Season 31