Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season Finale Discussion Thread: Justin Timberlake/Lady Gaga (5/21/2011)

avmon

[22]May 21, 2011
    • level: 16
    danharr wrote:

Best of the season they got it right even Gaga's insane last performance was perfect. They gave us frakking Barry Gibb talk show Loren Micheal's I love you. Great episode and that's not just the Jim Beam talking they pulled out all the stops and I hope they make it a habit for future finale's.

I totally agree, danharr. Only disappointment was I don't think Vanessa Bayer had a single sketch to perform in. In fact, I was surprised she was at the goodnights.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[23]May 21, 2011
    danharr wrote:

Gaga's first set was great and WU was wonderful really Schwartneggar lol!

I liked that part when Seth mentioned that having the maid go on vacation with them while staying at a hotel was like bringing your own weed to Amsterdam.

algetrig91

[24]May 21, 2011
    • level: 34
    avmon wrote:
    danharr wrote:

Best of the season they got it right even Gaga's insane last performance was perfect. They gave us frakking Barry Gibb talk show Loren Micheal's I love you. Great episode and that's not just the Jim Beam talking they pulled out all the stops and I hope they make it a habit for future finale's.

I totally agree, danharr. Only disappointment was I don't think Vanessa Bayer had a single sketch to perform in. In fact, I was surprised she was at the goodnights.

I wish they had an original sketch after the CO.

Woodstein

[25]May 21, 2011
    • level: 14
    Tonight's episode played more like a season best-of than a new show, as I don't think anything besides the cold open wasn't a returning sketch. This was to be expected, since season finales are typically heavy on recurring bits, and Justin Timberlake hosting meant they absolutely had to bring back the Barry Gibb Talk Show and follow up "Motherlover". Still, despite the lack of originality, I enjoyed the episode. Even "Secret Word" managed to win me over this time.

I also noticed that Lady Gaga had more sketch time than any of the women in the cast. I wasn't too keen on her performances. Here, it just felt like she was using an elaborate stage show to distract the audience from the generic dance-pop coming from the backing track. It's ironic that for someone who prides themselves on having a unique act, the songs themselves sound like they could come from anyone on the pop charts.

stellarchick86

[26]May 22, 2011
    • level: 32

avmon wrote:
    Agreed. I noticed that too.

I also had one other nitpick, but it was small. During the cold open, it was pretty obvious that Jay was reading off cuecards. There was a lot of dialogue so I get that he would need cuecards (I would too) but at one point when he said something, he was facing the opposite direction of the other 2 guys (where as if he was facing their way and reading it, it wouldnt have been as obvious). It was just kind of distracting is all. But as I said, it was a nitpick, especially since Jay isnt even in many sketches anyway, so its not that Im not letting him enjoy his airtime. It couldve been anyone doing that.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode and theres nothing really major that I wouldve changed. It really felt like a season finale. I pretty much loved all the sketches, the only things I couldve done without (but only because I liked the other ones so much, not because it was bad) was the cold open and the second gameshow sketch one where JT was a magician. I would give this a 9.5/10 (which I dont do often for shows!).

Woodstein wrote:
    It's ironic that for someone who prides themselves on having a unique act, the songs themselves sound like they could come from anyone on the pop charts.

Not me, if I hear her on the radio I know its her before the DJ even tells me its so, but maybe thats because I am a fan of hers. Plus a lot of artists end up doing what she is doing a lot of the time, even if she did it first.
    Edited on 05/22/2011 4:29am
    Edited 4 total times.

TheDiamondDog

[27]May 22, 2011
    • level: 61

I thought it was a really great episode. I'm a fan of Gaga and counting down the hours until I get the album tomorrow, but I thought she did a really good job. I love when it is just her and a piano.

I think my favorite skit of the night was "What's My Name."

I was hoping Gaga would be in the digital short. I'm surprised it hasn't been uploaded on YouTube yet.

She was used in the skits quite a bit. Next time she should just host and perform.

I noticed Jay reading the cue cards too. I enjoyed that skit. But it was really obvious.

I forget what skit, maybe Liquorville, but it looked like Gaga was obviously reading off the cue cards for a bit. I didn't notice that later on.

This may be my fav ep of the season. Between this and JE/NM.

radrobd

[28]May 22, 2011
    • level: 54

Good episode, however, I was disappointed at the end that Armisen, Kenan or Seth didn't announce any plans to leave the show.

Also, I thought the perfect ending to the "Golden Rule"/threeway sketch would have been Gaga's line, "Are you guys still here?" Instead the song just faded and ended. That line, used in the middle of the sketch, was better at the end.

Edited on 05/22/2011 3:07pm

BaronOne

[29]May 22, 2011
    • level: 15

Looking to get a review of this show up tomorrow afternoon/evening, but it's taking forever to get a hold of. Probably a year-end wrapup again after that too along with a blatant format rip off of Stu. Thanks, buddy

Edited on 05/22/2011 10:24pm
    Edited 3 total times.

HelloStuart

[30]May 22, 2011
    • level: 63

radrobd wrote:

Good episode, however, I was disappointed at the end that Armisen, Kenan or Seth didn't announce any plans to leave the show.

I'm confident that Seth will be on SNL for a long, long time. He already has ten years in the can and I wouldn't mind seeing him do Update for another year or two. Seth could easily break DH's longevity record if he so desires.

At this rate, I would say Kenan, Army, and Abby are the most likely not to return for next season. My Elliott Watch detected (so to speak) that she was in three sketches, but only had lines in "What's That Name?" As much as I tried to support Abby, if she comes back for Year 37, I would be shocked. Meanwhile, I noticed that after the credits the camera panned on Army in Ben Bernanke makeup for the longest time, which seems like an omen but could easily be a red herring.

As for my thoughts on this episode (and the season in general), you will find that in the episode guide by Monday afternoon. That's right, folks: a full sketch-by-sketch analysis. You're welcome, Brendan?

Edited on 05/22/2011 10:36pm

BaronOne

[31]May 22, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:

radrobd wrote:

I'm confident that Seth will be on SNL for a long, long time. He already has ten years in the can and I wouldn't mind seeing him do Update for another year or two. Seth could easily break DH's longevity record if he so desires.

At this rate, I would say Kenan, Army, and Abby are the most likely not to return for next season. My Elliott Watch detected (so to speak) that she was in three sketches, but only had lines in "What's That Name?" As much as I tried to support Abby, if she comes back for Year 37, I would be shocked. Meanwhile, I noticed that after the credits the camera panned on Army in Ben Bernanke makeup for the longest time, which seems like an omen but could easily be a red herring.

As for my thoughts on this episode (and the season in general), you will find that in the episode guide by Monday afternoon. That's right, folks: a full sketch-by-sketch analysis. You're welcome, Brendan?

I just meant for the 10memorable moments of the season thing. I thought it was a good idea so I... took it. ...

BaronOne

[32]May 23, 2011

My thoughts

Also... Year-End Review

BaronOne

[33]May 24, 2011

This was the finest season in a long while. Even better than Year 34, which was strong. This was probably the best since Year 26, IMO.

TheDiamondDog

[34]May 24, 2011

Apparently Gaga was asked to host SNL.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/lady-gaga-saturday-night-live-asked-me-to-host/63634

stellarchick86

[35]May 24, 2011
    ^Yeah, she said that on 'The View' the other day too. I hope it goes through!

HelloStuart

[36]May 26, 2011
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

When you think about it, she would make a good host.

TheDiamondDog

[37]May 26, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

When you think about it, she would make a good host.

Yeah. She's willing to put herself out there. She could easily do double duty.

I saw on YT that there is a vid of Jorma dancing to Gaga.

stellarchick86

[38]May 26, 2011
    Someone like Stu may know this, IDK, but how many total hosts have done double duty on the same SNL episode?

Woodstein

[39]May 28, 2011
    • level: 14
    There's a list on Wikipedia, I believe, and it's probably a pretty long list by now. There's also the case of hosts who, while not billed as a musical guest, performed songs, sometimes more than the actual MG. Garfunkel/Bishop from Year 3, Rick Nelson/Judy Collins from Year 4, Sting/Veruca Salt from Year 22, and Jon Bon Jovi/Foo Fighters from Year 32 come to mind.

avmon

[40]May 28, 2011
    Woodstein wrote:
    There's a list on Wikipedia, I believe, and it's probably a pretty long list by now. There's also the case of hosts who, while not billed as a musical guest, performed songs, sometimes more than the actual MG. Garfunkel/Bishop from Year 3, Rick Nelson/Judy Collins from Year 4, Sting/Veruca Salt from Year 22, and Jon Bon Jovi/Foo Fighters from Year 32 come to mind.
    The only addition I can think of is Johnny Cash/Elton John from year 7...

HelloStuart

[41]May 30, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    Woodstein wrote:

The only addition I can think of is Johnny Cash/Elton John from year 7...

Don't forget Dreyfuss/Buffett in Year 3, Sanders/JBJ in Year 20 (*cringe*), and Timberlake/Ciara in Year 34.