Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Season Premiere EDT: Alec Baldwin/Radiohead (9/24/11)

  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1]Aug 2, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,074

    Some records were meant to be broken...


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/alec-baldwin-to-host-snl-premiere_n_916706.html


    Edited on 08/12/2011 9:46pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [2]Aug 2, 2011
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,626
    HelloStuart wrote:

    Some records were meant to be broken...


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/alec-baldwin-to-host-snl-premiere_n_916706.html


    Go Alec!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [3]Aug 2, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,256
    Anyone wanna bet Bedilla Will Return?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Woodstein

    Woodstein

    [4]Aug 3, 2011
    • member since: 07/18/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 773
    I wouldn't mind seeing Bedelia again. Even if the sketches are more or less the same each time, I like the character because they're not built around some shrill catchphrase like a lot of the recurring characters played by the female cast members over the last 15 or so years.

    I was wondering who the musical guests for the first few shows might be. I'm not sure who has albums coming out in the fall, though acts who had big hits over the summer like Adele or Foster the People seem like probable choices. Worst case scenario, we get LMFAO.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [5]Aug 11, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 418

    Alec hosting again. This causes me to remember back when several years ago that John Goodman was in the discussion for most shows hosted along with Alec and Steve. Will Goodman ever host again? I guess he's not high profile enough anymore; too bad.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [6]Aug 11, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,074
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

    Alec hosting again. This causes me to remember back when several years ago that John Goodman was in the discussion for most shows hosted along with Alec and Steve. Will Goodman ever host again? I guess he's not high profile enough anymore; too bad.


    Goodman "retired" from hosting, claiming he was too old and fat.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [7]Aug 11, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

    Alec hosting again. This causes me to remember back when several years ago that John Goodman was in the discussion for most shows hosted along with Alec and Steve. Will Goodman ever host again? I guess he's not high profile enough anymore; too bad.



    He will be on "Community" this Fall. So *maybe* there's hope & hopefully he's in better shape.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [8]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 418

    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:


    Alec hosting again. This causes me to remember back when several years ago that John Goodman was in the discussion for most shows hosted along with Alec and Steve. Will Goodman ever host again? I guess he's not high profile enough anymore; too bad.


    Goodman "retired" from hosting, claiming he was too old and fat.


    Are you being serious? I've never heard that before. You wouldn't happen to know where I could find the article with that quote on it?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [9]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 270

    Radiohead returns for their second appearance as musical guest. Universally considered one of the most innovative and influential bands in existence, Radiohead's music has consistently topped charts and left audiences breathless. The three-time Grammy Award winning band recently released their newest album, "The King Of Limbs."


    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/08/12/nbcs-saturday-night-live-premieres-september-24-with-alec-baldwin-radiohead/100299/

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [10]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,074
    Hennes81 wrote:

    Radiohead returns for their second appearance as musical guest. Universally considered one of the most innovative and influential bands in existence, Radiohead's music has consistently topped charts and left audiences breathless. The three-time Grammy Award winning band recently released their newest album, "The King Of Limbs."


    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/08/12/nbcs-saturday-night-live-premieres-september-24-with-alec-baldwin-radiohead/100299/


    Plus, they almost never do TV nowadays. This is a coup d'etat for the casting producers.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [11]Aug 13, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,256
    Hope He'll be Happier than his last Hosting. Who Knows maybe Martin with Cameo in a Sketch or 2.

    I Wouldn't be Surprised. They've Had Cameos for the Season Premier Since Season 29.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [12]Aug 15, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,074
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Hope he'll be happier than his last hosting. Who knows, maybe Martin with cameo in a sketch or 2.

    I wouldn't be surprised. They've had cameos for the Season Premiere since Season 29.

    That's because they current mentality wants the premiere and/or finale to be an event. Plus, people tune in droves.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [13]Aug 15, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 671

    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Hope he'll be happier than his last hosting. Who knows, maybe Martin with cameo in a sketch or 2. I wouldn't be surprised. They've had cameos for the Season Premiere since Season 29.
    That's because they current mentality wants the premiere and/or finale to be an event. Plus, people tune in droves.
    Funny how it feels like that. And yet before last year Lorne opened the seasons with LeBron, Michael Phelps and Megan Fox, hardly SNL fan favorites, and IIRC they were pretty straight shows that relied on the cast. Seems like they used to use the new-season mojo to introduce a couple of fresh hosts in the first 2-3 shows. But since they've booked Baldwin, I'd like to see them do a straight show with him. No cameos, no frills, don't make a huge deal out of breaking the hosting record. Just a solid show with lots of fresh sketches and plenty of chances for Baldwin to work with the new cast.

    Edited on 08/15/2011 4:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [14]Aug 16, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,074
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Hope he'll be happier than his last hosting. Who knows, maybe Martin with cameo in a sketch or 2. I wouldn't be surprised. They've had cameos for the Season Premiere since Season 29.
    That's because they current mentality wants the premiere and/or finale to be an event. Plus, people tune in droves.
    Funny how it feels like that. And yet before last year Lorne opened the seasons with LeBron, Michael Phelps and Megan Fox, hardly SNL fan favorites, and IIRC they were pretty straight shows that relied on the cast. Seems like they used to use the new-season mojo to introduce a couple of fresh hosts in the first 2-3 shows. But since they've booked Baldwin, I'd like to see them do a straight show with him. No cameos, no frills, don't make a huge deal out of breaking the hosting record. Just a solid show with lots of fresh sketches and plenty of chances for Baldwin to work with the new cast.


    I was thinking more about the star quality of the host and musical guest, as opposed to bells and whistles. Phelps was a household name after the Beijing Olympiad, and LBJ was coming off his first NBA Finals appearance. Alec and the semi-reclusive Thom Yorke alone are quite buzz-worthy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [15]Aug 20, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 671

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:


    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Hope he'll be happier than his last hosting. Who knows, maybe Martin with cameo in a sketch or 2. I wouldn't be surprised. They've had cameos for the Season Premiere since Season 29.
    That's because they current mentality wants the premiere and/or finale to be an event. Plus, people tune in droves.
    Funny how it feels like that. And yet before last year Lorne opened the seasons with LeBron, Michael Phelps and Megan Fox, hardly SNL fan favorites, and IIRC they were pretty straight shows that relied on the cast. Seems like they used to use the new-season mojo to introduce a couple of fresh hosts in the first 2-3 shows. But since they've booked Baldwin, I'd like to see them do a straight show with him. No cameos, no frills, don't make a huge deal out of breaking the hosting record. Just a solid show with lots of fresh sketches and plenty of chances for Baldwin to work with the new cast.


    I was thinking more about the star quality of the host and musical guest, as opposed to bells and whistles. Phelps was a household name after the Beijing Olympiad, and LBJ was coming off his first NBA Finals appearance. Alec and the semi-reclusive Thom Yorke alone are quite buzz-worthy.


    If anyone tuned in to watch Phelps host, I think it was to see if he would bomb. Y'know, like people watching NASCAR at Talladega to see the inevitable big wreck. And did he bomb. The Tsar Bomba of athlete hosts.


    Scanning back further, it doesn't seem like they've been going way out of their way to book Baldwin-magnitude hosts for the openers. Steve Carrell would be the biggest opener host they've had in the past ten years, I'd say. Lorne & Marci may have booked Baldwin for the opener more for scheduling reasons. 30 Rock starts production late this year because of Fey's pregnancy and they're going to have to shoot pretty much solid through their season wrap in order to get 20-22 shows in the can. Lessee, yeah, 30 Rock is supposed to restart production in early October, so they may have had to book him for the opener or not at all.


    I've never been much of a Radiohead fan so their buzz potential is lost upon me. I'll take your word for it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [16]Sep 8, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    So is NBC.com gonna have this episode online by Sunday, or will I have to watch it live or wait a year later on Hulu.com to see it?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [17]Sep 9, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,074
    drudager wrote:
    So is NBC.com gonna have this episode online by Sunday, or will I have to watch it live or wait a year later on Hulu.com to see it?

    You mean Sunday the 25th?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [18]Sep 10, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    So is NBC.com gonna have this episode online by Sunday, or will I have to watch it live or wait a year later on Hulu.com to see it?

    You mean Sunday the 25th?


    Mmhmm.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [19]Sep 10, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 671

    I would be very surprised if NBC/Hulu changed their online content delivery model right before the SNL season opener.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [20]Sep 12, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,074
    Ruckhappy wrote:

    I would be very surprised if NBC/Hulu changed their online content delivery model right before the SNL season opener.



    It ultimately depends on licensing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.