Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

SNL Ratings Season 39

Ruckhappy

[21]Dec 5, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

And of course we won't either, but I do think you can infer from how Lorne & Co is shaping SNL roughly who they are aiming the show to draw and how they're doing it. Thus Cyrus and Gaga stunt-hosting. But there are oddly antithetical signs as well. For instance, in their push to air fewer recurring sketches they've turned back to doing sketches with classically non-topical premises, like the Animal Hospital sketch from the last show. That's fine with me, who thinks that the best sketches derive from a timeless premise, but younger viewers are going to connect better with the Chinese iPhone Makers sketch from last season or even Michaela's long-lost snarky blogger character. And why did they drop the J-Pop sketches?

There are fewer recurring characters because the new cast members aren't that established yet. Keep in mind, nine of the 16 current players were hired in March 2012 or later. Secondly, Army and Suds both had recurring roles in "J-Pop." Even if Taran and vBay are the focal points, recasting the professor and girlfriend would be offputting.

Stu...no. They cut way, way back on recurring characters last season, when they still had Jason, Fred and Bill in the cast. Last season they only had three real newbies in the cast and they did ~90% original sketches overall. They do need to work up recurring bits for the raft of new faces they brought in this season, but the trend goes back to last season.

I really don't think they retired J-Pop because Jason and Fred left. They were relatively minor characters for that bit, easily replaceable.

Edited on 12/05/2013 5:34pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[22]Dec 9, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

And of course we won't either, but I do think you can infer from how Lorne & Co is shaping SNL roughly who they are aiming the show to draw and how they're doing it. Thus Cyrus and Gaga stunt-hosting. But there are oddly antithetical signs as well. For instance, in their push to air fewer recurring sketches they've turned back to doing sketches with classically non-topical premises, like the Animal Hospital sketch from the last show. That's fine with me, who thinks that the best sketches derive from a timeless premise, but younger viewers are going to connect better with the Chinese iPhone Makers sketch from last season or even Michaela's long-lost snarky blogger character. And why did they drop the J-Pop sketches?

There are fewer recurring characters because the new cast members aren't that established yet. Keep in mind, nine of the 16 current players were hired in March 2012 or later. Secondly, Army and Suds both had recurring roles in "J-Pop." Even if Taran and vBay are the focal points, recasting the professor and girlfriend would be offputting.

Stu...no. They cut way, way back on recurring characters last season, when they still had Jason, Fred and Bill in the cast. Last season they only had three real newbies in the cast and they did ~90% original sketches overall. They do need to work up recurring bits for the raft of new faces they brought in this season, but the trend goes back to last season.

I really don't think they retired J-Pop because Jason and Fred left. They were relatively minor characters for that bit, easily replaceable.

Fred, for sure. Jason, however played the straight man.

Ruckhappy

[23]Dec 11, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Fred, for sure. Jason, however played the straight man.

So? They just get a new faculty adviser. Bobby plays nonplussed as well as Jason ever did. There are sketches where you just need a certain member of the cast to play it even though they're just a supporting player, like Hader in the Merryville Trolley sketches or Nasim in the Les Jeunes sketches. But Jason was just there to do reaction takes in the J-Pop sketches.

Hennes81

[24]Dec 12, 2013
    • level: 5

Some interesting final numbers:

The Rudd/1D episode was adjusted down from 2.5 to a 2.3 rating with adults 18-49 but this also happened to Lady Gaga (2.6 to 2.4) while the Miley Cyrus show stayed at 2.7.

In teens 12-17 One Direction got the same numbers as Timberlakes 5th (322,000 viewers) and was slightly beaten by Bruno Mars last year (323,000).

Also it got the highest number of total viewers so far this season (6.677 million).

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/12/12/saturday-night-live-hits-a-season-high-in-total-viewers/222311/

As mentioned before I won't correct the numbers in the first post.

Edited on 12/12/2013 3:46pm

Ruckhappy

[25]Dec 12, 2013

That's interesting. The stunt-casting of Cyrus and Bieber was a failure, but One Direction, who are British, were a hit. Go figure. I'm not even going to pretend that I'm still young enough to decipher this.

Unfortunately, I bet that a lot of those kidlets that tuned in to see One Direction were confused and repulsed by the cold open. Wish there was a special "Please god not more Kristen Wiig!" negative ratings metric.

HelloStuart

[26]Dec 13, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

That's interesting. The stunt-casting of Cyrus and Bieber was a failure, but One Direction, who are British, were a hit. Go figure. I'm not even going to pretend that I'm still young enough to decipher this.

Unfortunately, I bet that a lot of those kidlets that tuned in to see One Direction were confused and repulsed by the cold open. Wish there was a special "Please god not more Kristen Wiig!" negative ratings metric.

Quite simple, really: 1D is annoying, but not overexposed yet.

JM5000

[27]Dec 13, 2013
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Usually, boy bands' popularity start to go downhill after their second album...People will forget they even exist soon...

HelloStuart

[28]Dec 14, 2013
    JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Usually, boy bands' popularity start to go downhill after their second album...People will forget they even exist soon...

"Midnight Memories" was their third album.

JM5000

[29]Dec 14, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

(At least they skipped their second album...) The point is, boy bands are short fads...One Direction's popularity will fade as quickly as the boy bands of the past. Soon, we'll move past them and it will be another decade or so before music corporations try this again...

Edited on 12/14/2013 12:49pm

HelloStuart

[31]Dec 14, 2013

JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

(At least they skipped their second album...) The point is, boy bands are short fads...One Direction's popularity will fade as quickly as the boy bands of the past. Soon, we'll move past them and it will be another decade or so before music corporations try this again...

...until they ram a comeback tour down our throats in 2023, like the Backstreet Boys.

Edited on 12/14/2013 9:48pm

Hennes81

[32]Dec 16, 2013

Goodman and Kings of Leon performed below the season average with 18-49 year olds.

I think it's interesting to see that there were 4 shows which got a preliminary rating of 2.2 or less and 5 shows with 2.5 or more while the average would be 2.38. So the 18-49 rating seems to be highly dependend on the host and MG.

The household ratings vary from 3.9 to 4.9 but there were also shows which rated 4.3 or 4.5 (like Goodman).

Ruckhappy

[33]Dec 16, 2013

I think that all the stunt-casting, booking One Direction, etc., is going to backfire on them in January, in terms of ratings. I think they were spooked by the low ratings of the Norton show. They've gotten away from establishing the new cast and running new sketches. I mean, they're featuring Kenan now, of all people!

I do think the youth demo numbers are a sign.

JM5000

[34]Dec 16, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

I think that all the stunt-casting, booking One Direction, etc., is going to backfire on them in January, in terms of ratings. I think they were spooked by the low ratings of the Norton show. They've gotten away from establishing the new cast and running new sketches. I mean, they're featuring Kenan now, of all people!

I do think the youth demo numbers are a sign.

Two things they need to do for the second half:

1.Learn to write material for new blood (both hosts AND castmembers...)

2.Book some musical guests who aren't typical SNL choices! (I should open a thread discussing this more, since it's been bugging me like no tomorrow lately...)

Ruckhappy

[35]Dec 16, 2013

The problem is, I can't really make a ratings-related argument that the poor writing is hurting SNL economically. I believe that to be true, and I'm sure that very specific ways that the mishandling of the writing is affecting the ratings pull in important aspets, but the numbers you need to prove it just aren't available publicly.

One thing we can hope is that NBC's reaction to the weakening ratings is to reinvest in SNL instead of cutting back. That seems to be their policy, given that Lorne was allowed to hire six new cast this year, an extra new writer recently and now what must be a somewhat pricey special effort to bring in a black woman for the cast. What I'm hoping is that this trend will continue, with NBC wanting to bolster SNL as part of its Lorne-run late night lineup, and they'll add even more new writers after the holiday break.

Hennes81

[36]Dec 22, 2013

Of course the combination of Fallon and Timberlake guaranteed good ratings but a 3.9 (after that 2.1 last week) is impressive.

Some additional information from NBCs press release:

Last show which beat this episode was Barkley/Clarkson with a 4.1 rating (boosted by an NFL overrun).

Last christmas show with higher total viewers numbers was DeNiro/Destinys Child with a 6.6/16.

Ruckhappy

[37]Dec 22, 2013

No way of knowing but I bet you that Jimmy was as much of a ratings draw as JT. He's just exploded with the youth demo on Late Night.

Hennes81

[38]Jan 5, 2014

Interesting: SNL aired a "Best of This season" yesterday and got a phenomenal 3.0 rating (second best rating this season). I guess in the future there will be more specials instead of regular repeats.

Edited on 01/06/2014 9:48am

HelloStuart

[39]Jan 6, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

Interesting: SNL aired a "Best of This season" yesterday and got a phenomenal 3.0 rating (second best rating this season). I guess in the future there will be more specials instead regular repeats.

Not necessarily. SNL aired "The Best of the Season So Far" halfway through Years 21 and 22, mostly to promote the new cast.

Hennes81

[40]Jan 6, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    Not necessarily. SNL aired "The Best of the Season So Far" halfway through Years 21 and 22, mostly to promote the new cast.

You shouldn't compare NBC 2014 to NBC 1997. Nowadays SNL specials got the best NBC ratings on (former Must-See-TV) Tuesday.

Of course it's just a guess, but a network which airs 2 seasons of The Voice each year seems desperate enough to air some "Best of Lady Gaga" specials instead of her last hosting gig.