Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

SNL Ratings Season 39

Ruckhappy

[41]Jan 6, 2014
    • level: 9

Hennes81 wrote:
    You shouldn't compare NBC 2014 to NBC 1997.

I'll say. Working at NBC right now must be like being a White House staffer in 1974 or a Roman citizen after the Vandals sacked the joint.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hennes81

[42]Jan 8, 2014
    • level: 6

SNL managed to write a press release about the "live plus seven days" (L+7) results for Fallon/Timberlake:

- The 14-49 rating grew from 3.72 to 5.55 (total viewers: from 9.444 million to 13.117)
    - 1.83 is the biggest L+7 increase since these numbers are determined.
    - The last episode with higher L+7 rating was Carrey/Black Keys in 2011 (5.79), which followed an NBC overrun.
    - The last show which topped this one and hadn't the benefit of an NFL game was White/Jay-Z in 2010 (5.97).

Ruckhappy

[43]Jan 8, 2014

Live+7 is the numbers with DVR watchers included, right? That's pretty amazing. JT is a big draw but that shows that Jimmy has become a real star in his own right. Discounting the Betty White show as a bit of a gimmick, when was the last time they had higher ratings for a "normal" SNL episode?

Hennes81

[44]Jan 9, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Live+7 is the numbers with DVR watchers included, right?

Exactly.

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Discounting the Betty White show as a bit of a gimmick, when was the last time they had higher ratings for a "normal" SNL episode?

This press release gives some information about higher ratings before Bettys show in 2010:
    - 05/08/10: 4.6 rating (18 ) in 18-49 / 12.1 million total viewers,White/Jay-Z (plus SNL alumni)
    - 11/01/08: 5.2 (19) / 13.0 million, Affleck/Cook (plus McCain cameo)
    - 10/18/08: 5.5 (20) / 15.0 million, Brolin/Adele (plus Palin cameo)
    Last topping SNL which topped White/Jay-Z without politician cameos:
    - 01/14/04: 4.6, Aniston/Black Eyed Peas (topping in 18-49 rating) and
    - 09/25/94: 12.2 million, Martin/Clapton, (topping in total viewers)
    Of course these numbers are just live viewing - DVR viewing has been tracked since 2010.

Between 2010 and now there were at least these shows which were higher rated in "Live + same day":
    - 01/09/10: 5.0, Barkley/Alicia Keys (NFL)
    - 01/08/11: 5.4* Carrey/Black Keys (NFL)
    - 05/21/11: 4.5* (18 ), Timberlake/Gaga
    - 01/07/12: 4.1 (16), Barkley/Clarkson (NFL)
    Fallon/Timberlake had a final 3.72 "L+SD" rating.
    *: preliminary rating

Since NBC hasn't relesed many information on L+7 ratings, that's all I can find quickly.

Ruckhappy

[45]Jan 9, 2014

Thanks for digging up those numbers, Hennes. Most interesting. For comparison, do you remember the peak ratings for the Golden Era? IIRC, Belushi or someone was quoted about doing SNL live to "20 million people."

Hennes81

[46]Jan 10, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:

For comparison, do you remember the peak ratings for the Golden Era?

I have no idea where I could find these ratings.

All I found via Google was this(but I have no idea if these information are still valid):

"The highest rated (according to Nielsen) episode aired on October 13, 1979 (Steve Martin/Blondie).

The lowest ever rating/share for the show was 4.2/16 (on November 8, 1975) with host Candice Bergen, and musical guest Esther Phillips."(Of course a share of 16% isn't a historic low - as you can see with current numbers.)

Also I should mention that it's unfair to compare current ratings with old ones since the TV viewing has changed drastically in the last 39 years. If I rember correct from yesterday's research the average 18-49 rating was a 3.0 two seasons ago - until now only one live show has reached this number in this season. And still SNL is beating most of NBC's primetime shows.

HelloStuart

[47]Jan 10, 2014
    • level: 63
    Hennes81 wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

For comparison, do you remember the peak ratings for the Golden Era?

I have no idea where I could find these ratings.

All I found via Google was this(but I have no idea if these information are still valid):

"The highest rated (according to Nielsen) episode aired on October 13, 1979 (Steve Martin/Blondie).

The lowest ever rating/share for the show was 4.2/16 (on November 8, 1975) with host Candice Bergen, and musical guest Esther Phillips."(Of course a share of 16% isn't a historic low - as you can see with current numbers.)

Also I should mention that it's unfair to compare current ratings with old ones since the TV viewing has changed drastically in the last 39 years. If I rember correct from yesterday's research the average 18-49 rating was a 3.0 two seasons ago - until now only one live show has reached this number in this season. And still SNL is beating most of NBC's primetime shows.

Also, not all local NBC affiliates aired SNL from the get-go. WMAQ in Chicago didn't come aboard until Klein/ABBA, and WIIC (now WPXI) in Pittsburgh refused to air SNL until the summer before Season Four.

Ruckhappy

[48]Jan 12, 2014

Young punks, you don't have to remind me of what television was like in the late 70's. I watched those Golden Era shows on a console set as big as a mini-fridge, crammed with vacuum tubes. Your choices on Saturday Night were some stupid movies on CBS and ABC, or SNL on NBC. Oh, and horror films on the local UHF station...if we twiddled the rabbit ears just right.

Yes, the ratings for the Golden Era shows are strongly skewed due to the later massive flood of cable content. But that's the interesting comparison. SNL was such a phenomenal hit at the time because there was literally nothing else to watch.

Ruckhappy

[49]Jan 20, 2014

Drake actually pulled pretty good numbers: 4.7/12 overall. I'm a little surprised since it seemed like not that many people watched the show Saturday night. If their viewer numbers among blacks go up--and up is the only direction they could go--I wonder if NBC will start touting that fact.

Hennes81

[50]Jan 21, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:

Drake actually pulled pretty good numbers: 4.7/12 overall. I'm a little surprised since it seemed like not that many people watched the show Saturday night. If their viewer numbers among blacks go up--and up is the only direction they could go--I wonder if NBC will start touting that fact.

I was also surprised about the good 18-49 rating, which matched the second best rating this season so far (the 4.7 overall was just average).

Interesting thought about the higher viewing among black audiences, would be interesting to see those numbers for this episode.

Since it was not just Drake hosting, but also Sasheers first show (with intensive media coverage before) this should have an effect on viewership - but it looks like this was a one-time thing.

On the other hand: Since they learned how to use Kenan and Jay this season, it could also mean they have ideas for Sasheer. If the producers want to have more black viewers, this is the easiest way to get it.

Hennes81

[51]Feb 3, 2014

Great ratings for the McCarthy episode. Was it because she is is so popular or did people tune in for Seth's last show?

JM5000

[52]Feb 3, 2014
    • level: 8

Hennes81 wrote:

Great ratings for the McCarthy episode. Was it because she is is so popular or did people tune in for Seth's last show?

A combination of the two, perhaps?

Ruckhappy

[53]Feb 3, 2014

I suspect the ratings were mostly because of McCarthy. She made a really memorable splash the first time she hosted, and her style of physical comedy is ideal for catching the attention of casual viewers.

I still see Seth's "popularity" as a self-created PR thing. I don't think there ever was a Seth Meyers fan base in the SNL-watching audience, although I do think he'll end up being a reliable ratings draw hosting Late Night.

HelloStuart

[54]Feb 7, 2014
    JM5000 wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

A combination of the two, perhaps?

That would be my most educated guess.

Hennes81

[55]Mar 31, 2014

Now I understand why SNL waited so long this season to bring actors from cable. Lena Dunham and Louis C.K. both seemed to bring in virtually no new viewer to the show.

Until now the easiest way to achieve good ratings this season is to book singers doing double duty. All of these episodes got above average ratings. And of course it's never bad to have Timberlake as well - but since he did this much sketches he also virtually did a double duty.

Other "good" episode were hosted by Melissa McCarthy and Tina Fey, but most outstanding to me is that "Best of this season" special.

HelloStuart

[56]Mar 31, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

Other "good" episode were hosted by Melissa McCarthy and Tina Fey, but most outstanding to me is that "Best of this season" special.

Your favorite episode of the season was a clip show? For real?

Hennes81

[57]Apr 1, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

When I wrote "good" I meant ratings-wise. I meant, I'm still irritated about the strong number of this special.

I haven't seen the clip show and I also didn't like the McCarthy episode that much. The other mentioned shows were okay at least (with Fallon/Timberlake being the highlight of the season).

HelloStuart

[58]Apr 1, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

When I wrote "good" I meant ratings-wise. I meant, I'm still irritated about the strong number of this special.

I haven't seen the clip show and I also didn't like the McCarthy episode that much. The other mentioned shows were okay at least (with Fallon/Timberlake being the highlight of the season).

As far as ratings go, clip shows actually do okay on their first and second airings.

Hennes81

[59]Jun 2, 2014

Here is my look back on the ratings of this season (as you can read them in the first post).

I sorted them so we can see which host had the biggest TV audience. It's sorted according to adults 18-49 (followed by households).

# Live Shows

1 Fallon/Timberlake 3.9 6.3
    2 McCarthy/Imagine Dragons 2.9 5.4
    3 Fey/Arcade Fire 2.7 4.7
    3 Drake 2.7 4.7
    5 Cyrus 2.7 4.5
    6 Washington/Eminem 2.6 4.9
    6 Lady Gaga 2.6 4.9
    8 Hill/Bastille 2.6 4.8
    9 Parsons/Beck 2.6 4.6
    10 Rudd/One Direction 2.5 4.9
    11 Willis/Perry 2.2 4.3
    12 Kendrick/Pharrell 2.2 4.0
    13 Goodman/Kings of Leon 2.1 4.5
    14 Dunham/The National 2.1 4.1
    15 Louis C.K./Sam Smith 2.1 4.0
    15 Samberg/St. Vincent 2.1 4.0
    17 Norton/Monae 2.1 3.9
    17 Rogen/Sheeran 2.1 3.9
    19 Hutcherson/Haim 2.0 4.1
    19 Garfield/Coldplay 2.0 3.9
    21 Theron/Black Keys 1.8 3.8

Of course Fallon/Timberlake was unbeatable. But also Melissa McCarthy and singers on double-duty did good. It also looked like the last shows had no chance in competing with those numbers the episodes in autumn and winter delivered. Besides these episodes the least interest was in Hutcherson/Haim and Norton/Monae.

Here are the numbers for all encores in the regular SNL time slot on 11:30:

# Encores

1 Fallon/Timberlake 2.0 3.8
    2 Cyrus 1.5 3.3
    3 Rudd/One Direction 1.5 3.2
    3 Drake 1.5 3.2
    5 Fey/Arcade Fire 1.4 3.1
    6 McCarthy/Imagine Dragons 1.4 2.9
    7 Hill/Bastille 1.2 2.9
    8 Louis C.K./Sam Smith 1.2 2.7

Nothing special here. What did good live did good in reruns. But the gap is thin between most episodes (besides Fallon/Timberlake).

#Specials

1SNL Best of This season3.0
    2Christmas Special2.6
    3SNL Sports Spectacular1.8
    4Halloween Special1.7
    5Thanksgiving Special1.6
    6The women of SNL (repeat)1.4

The Best of This season did really great as mentioned before and is the 2nd best show of the season (in ratings).
    The Christmas special topped all other Thursday specials with great advance.