Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Special Discussion Thread: 40th Anniversary Special (2/15/15)

  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [1]Apr 19, 2014
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 310

    Here's the date for next years special.


    So now we have 10 months to fill this thread with ideas for this primetime special.Wink


    I think it's interesting to have this special in the middle of the season. But since the season premiere and finale always have good ratings, it's a good idea for NBC to schedule it apart of those dates.


    Also it's a good date since it's two weeks after the Superbowl on NBC and The Voice may have started before, so NBC has the chance to promote it massivly.

    Edited on 04/19/2014 2:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [2]Apr 19, 2014
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,861

    What I'd like to see most is a reunion of Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo but knowing their history, I don't think that's gonna happen. Nor do I think Muprhy will ever appear on the show by himself ever again.

    Edited on 04/19/2014 5:42am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [3]Apr 19, 2014
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,282
    avmon wrote:

    What I'd like to see most is a reunion of Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo but knowing their history, I don't think that's gonna happen. Nor do I think Muprhy will ever appear on the show by himself ever again.


    Murphy and Piscopo reconciled about 10-15 years ago. Eddie made a surprise appearance during Piscopo's Sinatra tribute tour.

    Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [4]Apr 19, 2014
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 310

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.


    I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?


    If not, he could use the Anniversary Show to plug a movie or something.
    So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.


    Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [5]Apr 19, 2014
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,282
    Hennes81 wrote:

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.


    I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?


    If not, he could use the Anniversary Show to plug a movie or something.
    So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.


    Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?


    No to both questions. After Eddie hosted in Year 10, he resumed his movie career and didn't look back. I've asked Gary Kroeger and Nate Herman, and they both said Eddie was a pleasure to work with; any alleged diva behavior were just rumors. Evidently, Eddie looks at his 3 1/2 years at SNL as juvenilia; this was a stepping stone to greater things. Besides, does anyone really want to see a 53-year-old Mr. Robinson, or a Velvet Jones with middle-age spread? Clearly he thinks the past should stay in the past.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [6]Apr 24, 2014
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,861

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:


    HelloStuart wrote:
    Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.


    I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?


    If not, he could use the Anniversary Show to plug a movie or something.
    So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.


    Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?


    No to both questions. After Eddie hosted in Year 10, he resumed his movie career and didn't look back. I've asked Gary Kroeger and Nate Herman, and they both said Eddie was a pleasure to work with; any alleged diva behavior were just rumors. Evidently, Eddie looks at his 3 1/2 years at SNL as juvenilia; this was a stepping stone to greater things. Besides, does anyone really want to see a 53-year-old Mr. Robinson, or a Velvet Jones with middle-age spread? Clearly he thinks the past should stay in the past.
    And I guess Buckwheat is really still dead after Alfalfa shot him back in '84, right?

    Edited on 04/24/2014 9:35am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [7]Apr 29, 2014
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,282
    avmon wrote:

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:


    HelloStuart wrote:
    Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.


    I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?


    If not, he could use the Anniversary Show to plug a movie or something.
    So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.


    Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?


    No to both questions. After Eddie hosted in Year 10, he resumed his movie career and didn't look back. I've asked Gary Kroeger and Nate Herman, and they both said Eddie was a pleasure to work with; any alleged diva behavior were just rumors. Evidently, Eddie looks at his 3 1/2 years at SNL as juvenilia; this was a stepping stone to greater things. Besides, does anyone really want to see a 53-year-old Mr. Robinson, or a Velvet Jones with middle-age spread? Clearly he thinks the past should stay in the past.
    And I guess Buckwheat is really still dead after Alfalfa shot him back in '84, right?


    1983, but yes, very much so.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [8]Apr 29, 2014
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,861

    HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:


    HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:


    HelloStuart wrote:
    Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.


    I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?


    If not, he could use the Anniversary Show to plug a movie or something.
    So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.


    Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?


    No to both questions. After Eddie hosted in Year 10, he resumed his movie career and didn't look back. I've asked Gary Kroeger and Nate Herman, and they both said Eddie was a pleasure to work with; any alleged diva behavior were just rumors. Evidently, Eddie looks at his 3 1/2 years at SNL as juvenilia; this was a stepping stone to greater things. Besides, does anyone really want to see a 53-year-old Mr. Robinson, or a Velvet Jones with middle-age spread? Clearly he thinks the past should stay in the past.
    And I guess Buckwheat is really still dead after Alfalfa shot him back in '84, right?


    1983, but yes, very much so.
    I'm specifically referring to Eddie's return as guest host and the sketch that revealed that Buckwheat was shot with "b'anks" previously when Alfalfa visited him and then shot him because of a long ago incident. It ended with Buckwheat's grave saying he died in 1983 and then after that "1984?". That was aired on December 15, 1984.

    Edited on 04/29/2014 9:12pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [9]May 2, 2014
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,282
    avmon wrote:

    HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:


    HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:


    HelloStuart wrote:
    Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.


    I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?


    If not, he could use the Anniversary Show to plug a movie or something.
    So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.


    Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?


    No to both questions. After Eddie hosted in Year 10, he resumed his movie career and didn't look back. I've asked Gary Kroeger and Nate Herman, and they both said Eddie was a pleasure to work with; any alleged diva behavior were just rumors. Evidently, Eddie looks at his 3 1/2 years at SNL as juvenilia; this was a stepping stone to greater things. Besides, does anyone really want to see a 53-year-old Mr. Robinson, or a Velvet Jones with middle-age spread? Clearly he thinks the past should stay in the past.
    And I guess Buckwheat is really still dead after Alfalfa shot him back in '84, right?


    1983, but yes, very much so.
    I'm specifically referring to Eddie's return as guest host and the sketch that revealed that Buckwheat was shot with "b'anks" previously when Alfalfa visited him and then shot him because of a long ago incident. It ended with Buckwheat's grave saying he died in 1983 and then after that "1984?". That was aired on December 15, 1984.


    Buckwheat was shot in 1983, but Alfalfa "confessed" in 1984. I'm just clarifying when the shooting happened.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [10]Jan 30, 2015
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 661

    Questions have risen regarding who will make an appearance for this show...Well, one guest has been announced, and it's someone who people weren't sure would EVER return to the show that made him famous...



    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/29/eddie-murphy-snl_n_6574362.html



    That's right, Eddie Murphy, after thirty years of keeping his distance from the show, will finally return to Studio 8H to celebrate the show's 40th Anniversary! ...Now let's wait and see if Adam Sandler or Robert Downey Jr. follows his example...



    Feel free to discuss any other updates regarding this coming show...



    Edited on 01/30/2015 9:08pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [11]Jan 30, 2015
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,861
    JM5000 wrote:


    Questions have risen regarding who will make an appearance for this show...Well, one guest has been announced, and it's someone who people weren't sure would EVER return to the show that made him famous...



    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/29/eddie-murphy-snl_n_6574362.html



    That's right, Eddie Murphy, after thirty years of keeping his distance from the show, will finally return to Studio 8H to celebrate the show's 40th Anniversary! ...Now let's wait and see if Adam Sandler or Robert Downey Jr. follows his example...



    Feel free to discuss any other updates regarding this coming show...



    If this is true, I'm even more excited than ever!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [12]Jan 30, 2015
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,861
    avmon wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:


    Questions have risen regarding who will make an appearance for this show...Well, one guest has been announced, and it's someone who people weren't sure would EVER return to the show that made him famous...



    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/29/eddie-murphy-snl_n_6574362.html



    That's right, Eddie Murphy, after thirty years of keeping his distance from the show, will finally return to Studio 8H to celebrate the show's 40th Anniversary! ...Now let's wait and see if Adam Sandler or Robert Downey Jr. follows his example...



    Feel free to discuss any other updates regarding this coming show...



    If this is true, I'm even more excited than ever!
    Let me add if Joe Piscopo joins him, I'd be even more so...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [13]Jan 30, 2015
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,282
    JM5000 wrote:
    Now let's wait and see if Adam Sandler or Robert Downey Jr. follows his example...

    Yeah, because Robert Downey Jr. owes all of his success to one of the weakest seasons in SNL history.

    I'm sure Sandler will appear in some capacity, though it's somewhat astonishing that he's never hosted.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mrjimmyjames

    mrjimmyjames

    [14]Jan 31, 2015
    • member since: 05/13/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 424

    HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:
    Now let's wait and see if Adam Sandler or Robert Downey Jr. follows his example...
    Yeah, because Robert Downey Jr. owes all of his success to one of the weakest seasons in SNL history. I'm sure Sandler will appear in some capacity, though it's somewhat astonishing that he's never hosted.



    Both of them have appeared on SNL since leaving. Downey's hosted and I can remember a song in the opening featuring Sandler and Schneider. They haven't completely stayed away like Eddie. But it is ridiculous that Sandler hasn't hosted yet. And it would be great to see both of them appear. Hell, RDJ could bring some of his Brat Pack season co stars. Remember what Steve Martin said "the Anthony Michael Hall is surprisingly good". And it'd be pretty exciting to see someone drag Randy Quaid back into the spotlight. That'd be awesome.

    Edited on 01/31/2015 2:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Nickycd

    Nickycd

    [15]Feb 1, 2015
    • member since: 11/14/05
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 78

    Does The 40th Anniversary Special Mean there won't be as many Live show this season? Also When is the next live show at the normal 11:30 time slot on a Saturday. I'm very excited for the 40th Special But hope It won't take away from the live shows in the regular time slot.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [16]Feb 1, 2015
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 661

    Nickycd wrote:


    Does The 40th Anniversary Special Mean there won't be as many Live show this season? Also When is the next live show at the normal 11:30 time slot on a Saturday. I'm very excited for the 40th Special But hope It won't take away from the live shows in the regular time slot.



    I'm willing to bet that the next official episode will be the weekend following the Special...I know they're capable, because they've done it with previous Anniversary Specials...


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [17]Feb 3, 2015
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 661


    Justin Timberlake


    Emma Stone


    Derek Jeter


    Jimmy Fallon


    Paul McCartney


    Chevy Chase


    Kanye West


    Adam Sandler


    Melissa McCarthy


    Will Ferrell


    Robert DeNiro


    Tina Fey


    Paul Simon


    Jerry Seinfeld


    Molly Shannon


    Steve Martin


    Mike Myers


    Eddie Murphy


    Jack Nicholson


    Amy Poehler


    Jim Carrey


    Peyton Manning


    Dana Carvey


    Kristen Wiig


    Dan Aykroyd


    Chris Rock


    Alec Baldwin


    Taylor Swift


    Garrett Morris


    Andy Samberg


    Christopher Walken


    Maya Rudolph


    Tom Hanks


    Martin Short


    Betty White


    Bill Murray


    Bill Hader


    Jane Curtin


    Jon Hamm


    Laraine Newman


    Zach Galifianakis


    Seth Meyers


    Jason Sudeikis


    Paul Rudd


    David Spade


    Kerry Washington


    Fred Armisen


    James Franco


    Norm MacDonald



    Take your picks: Who are you most excited to see? Who are you LEAST excited to see? Sound off!


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [18]Feb 3, 2015
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,861
    JM5000 wrote:


    Justin Timberlake


    Emma Stone


    Derek Jeter


    Jimmy Fallon


    Paul McCartney


    Chevy Chase


    Kanye West


    Adam Sandler


    Melissa McCarthy


    Will Ferrell


    Robert DeNiro


    Tina Fey


    Paul Simon


    Jerry Seinfeld


    Molly Shannon


    Steve Martin


    Mike Myers


    Eddie Murphy


    Jack Nicholson


    Amy Poehler


    Jim Carrey


    Peyton Manning


    Dana Carvey


    Kristen Wiig


    Dan Aykroyd


    Chris Rock


    Alec Baldwin


    Taylor Swift


    Garrett Morris


    Andy Samberg


    Christopher Walken


    Maya Rudolph


    Tom Hanks


    Martin Short


    Betty White


    Bill Murray


    Bill Hader


    Jane Curtin


    Jon Hamm


    Laraine Newman


    Zach Galifianakis


    Seth Meyers


    Jason Sudeikis


    Paul Rudd


    David Spade


    Kerry Washington


    Fred Armisen


    James Franco


    Norm MacDonald



    Take your picks: Who are you most excited to see? Who are you LEAST excited to see? Sound off!


    Most excited: Eddie Murphy, of course! Least excited: David Spade especially since he's the one who did the "Hollywood Minute" that had a pic of Eddie and said, "Hey look, a falling star!" Hope they don't have a scene together...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [19]Feb 3, 2015
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,282

    I'm pretty sure Randy Quaid is not attending.


    https://vid.me/TsNm?fb_ref=Default

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [20]Feb 3, 2015
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,282
    JM5000 wrote:

    Nickycd wrote:


    Does The 40th Anniversary Special Mean there won't be as many Live show this season? Also When is the next live show at the normal 11:30 time slot on a Saturday. I'm very excited for the 40th Special But hope It won't take away from the live shows in the regular time slot.



    I'm willing to bet that the next official episode will be the weekend following the special... I know they're capable, because they've done it with previous anniversary specials...



    More than likely, that is the case. Simmons/D'Angelo was the 13th episode of the season, so I'm assuming there will be one regular live show in February, two apiece in March and April, and the usual three in May. (Apparently, 21 shows a season is the norm now.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.