Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Special Discussion Thread: 40th Anniversary Special (2/15/15)

Hennes81

[1]Apr 19, 2014
    • level: 5

Here's the date for next years special.

So now we have 10 months to fill this thread with ideas for this primetime special.Wink

I think it's interesting to have this special in the middle of the season. But since the season premiere and finale always have good ratings, it's a good idea for NBC to schedule it apart of those dates.

Also it's a good date since it's two weeks after the Superbowl on NBC and The Voice may have started before, so NBC has the chance to promote it massivly.

Edited on 04/19/2014 2:53pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[2]Apr 19, 2014
    • level: 16

What I'd like to see most is a reunion of Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo but knowing their history, I don't think that's gonna happen. Nor do I think Muprhy will ever appear on the show by himself ever again.

Edited on 04/19/2014 5:42am

HelloStuart

[3]Apr 19, 2014
    • level: 63
    avmon wrote:

What I'd like to see most is a reunion of Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo but knowing their history, I don't think that's gonna happen. Nor do I think Muprhy will ever appear on the show by himself ever again.

Murphy and Piscopo reconciled about 10-15 years ago. Eddie made a surprise appearance during Piscopo's Sinatra tribute tour.

Good luck getting Eddie to participate in SNL40, though.

Hennes81

[4]Apr 19, 2014
    • level: 5

HelloStuart wrote:

I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?

If not, he could use the Anniversary Show to plug a movie or something.
    So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.

Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?

HelloStuart

[5]Apr 19, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I got that SNL isn't that important to Eddie since he never worked with Lorne. But were there big problems he had with other cast members or executives and he don't want to meet them ever again?

So even if he isn't interested in SNL anymore - it could be a good business decision for him to appear at 8H.

Or did I miss something that inhibits any work of Eddie with Lorne or someone else at SNL?

No to both questions. After Eddie hosted in Year 10, he resumed his movie career and didn't look back. I've asked Gary Kroeger and Nate Herman, and they both said Eddie was a pleasure to work with; any alleged diva behavior were just rumors. Evidently, Eddie looks at his 3 1/2 years at SNL as juvenilia; this was a stepping stone to greater things. Besides, does anyone really want to see a 53-year-old Mr. Robinson, or a Velvet Jones with middle-age spread? Clearly he thinks the past should stay in the past.

avmon

[6]Apr 24, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

No to both questions. After Eddie hosted in Year 10, he resumed his movie career and didn't look back. I've asked Gary Kroeger and Nate Herman, and they both said Eddie was a pleasure to work with; any alleged diva behavior were just rumors. Evidently, Eddie looks at his 3 1/2 years at SNL as juvenilia; this was a stepping stone to greater things. Besides, does anyone really want to see a 53-year-old Mr. Robinson, or a Velvet Jones with middle-age spread? Clearly he thinks the past should stay in the past.
    And I guess Buckwheat is really still dead after Alfalfa shot him back in '84, right?

Edited on 04/24/2014 9:35am

HelloStuart

[7]Apr 29, 2014
    avmon wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

And I guess Buckwheat is really still dead after Alfalfa shot him back in '84, right?

1983, but yes, very much so.

avmon

[8]Apr 29, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I'm specifically referring to Eddie's return as guest host and the sketch that revealed that Buckwheat was shot with "b'anks" previously when Alfalfa visited him and then shot him because of a long ago incident. It ended with Buckwheat's grave saying he died in 1983 and then after that "1984?". That was aired on December 15, 1984.

Edited on 04/29/2014 9:12pm
    Edited 3 total times.

HelloStuart

[9]May 2, 2014
    avmon wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I'm specifically referring to Eddie's return as guest host and the sketch that revealed that Buckwheat was shot with "b'anks" previously when Alfalfa visited him and then shot him because of a long ago incident. It ended with Buckwheat's grave saying he died in 1983 and then after that "1984?". That was aired on December 15, 1984.

Buckwheat was shot in 1983, but Alfalfa "confessed" in 1984. I'm just clarifying when the shooting happened.