We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Special Discussion Thread: SNL In The 2000'S (4/15/10)

Pulch23

[1]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 7

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?id=saturday_night_live&view=listings

Soo what do you think they will do?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 63
    It's another Kenneth Brower documentary, though one might argue that a special about the past decade might be way too soon. I'm not aware of any real drama behind the scenes between 2000 and 2009, at least compared to the myriad cast changes of the previous 25 years, so this makes me especially uneasy. Worst-case scenario, it'll be two hours of "Chris Parnell was a pleasure to work with" and "we all knew Amy Poehler was gonna be a star."

Pulch23

[3]Mar 24, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    It's another Kenneth Brower documentary, though one might argue that a special about the past decade might be way too soon. I'm not aware of any real drama behind the scenes between 2000 and 2009, at least compared to the myriad cast changes of the previous 25 years, so this makes me especially uneasy. Worst-case scenario, it'll be two hours of "Chris Parnell was a pleasure to work with" and "we all knew Amy Poehler was gonna be a star."

9/11, Katrina, Ashlee Simpson, Everyone leaves after year 31, the elections, Charles Rocket.

HelloStuart

[4]Mar 24, 2010
    Pulch23 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

9/11, Katrina, Ashlee Simpson, Everyone leaves after year 31, the elections, Charles Rocket.

They won't touch Charlie Rocket. As for Ashlee Simpson, we'll see; "SNL in the '90s" didn't cover Sinead O'Connor.

JustinRAn

[5]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 12
    ^ Maybe if they ever release it on DVD, they'll release "The Rest of the story."

I'm just glad they're not going to air "The Woman of SNL," it was probably going to be Two hours of Kristen Wiig Sketches and nothing more.

HelloStuart

[6]Mar 24, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:
    ^ Maybe if they ever release it on DVD, they'll release "The Rest of the story."

I'm just glad they're not going to air "The Woman of SNL," it was probably going to be Two hours of Kristen Wiig Sketches and nothing more.

That's a very intriguing typo, Justin. At times it feels like Kristen is the only woman on the show.

algetrig91

[7]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 34
    I think the Ashlee Simpson is definitely gonna make it, along with Jimmy and Horatio's laughing.

avmon

[8]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 17
    I think during the first 30 minutes, they'll discuss the happenings of what went on before the first post-9/11 show aired...

HelloStuart

[9]Mar 29, 2010

avmon wrote:
    I think during the first 30 minutes, they'll discuss the happenings of what went on before the first post-9/11 show aired...

The first 15 minutes will cover the Bush-Gore election coverage and the Fallon-Fey WU renaissance, then segue into the WTC attacks. At least, that's my best guess.

Edited on 03/29/2010 7:11am

whoaitsconner

[10]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 21
    I didn't even know about this I'm so behind the ball! COOL

bry456

[11]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 19

It'd be great if they talked about newhosts that were fun to work with (Timberlake, JackBlack, Hamm, etc.) and those not so much (Hilton, etc.).

They won't however.

Edited on 03/31/2010 9:54am

HelloStuart

[12]Mar 31, 2010
    bry456 wrote:

It'd be great if they talked about newhosts that were fun to work with (Timberlake, JackBlack, Hamm, etc.) and those not so much (Hilton, etc.).

They won't however.

If a third edition of "Live From New York" is ever published, there's no question the cast and writers would let loose on those tidbits.

thecomedianky

[13]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 19
    HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

They won't however.

If a third edition of "Live From New York" is ever published, there's no question the cast and writers would let loose on those tidbits.
    third?

HelloStuart

[14]Apr 10, 2010
    thecomedianky wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

They won't however.

third?

The 2004 paperback release includes comments from Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph, who weren't mentioned or interviewed in the hardcover. I consider it to be a seperate edition.

Pulch23

[15]Apr 16, 2010

Interesting it was

TheDiamondDog

[16]Apr 16, 2010
    • level: 61

I completely forgot about it.

HelloStuart

[17]Apr 16, 2010
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I completely forgot about it.

Fear not, Mel; there's clips on the NBC site.

whoaitsconner

[18]Apr 18, 2010
    • level: 21
    It was a lot like the 90s special. They didn't touch up on some backstage things. The 06 budget cut, and firing of certain cast members such as Michaela, Casey, or Jeff come to mind. The 80s special touched up on almost EVERYTHING that happened. But, I guess this was just (much like the 90s) a lot more like a "lets remember all the moments this decade had that were great" special than "here's what happened to me." special like the 80s special was.

Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it. I had never seen the majority of the 9/11 opening, so that was something fresh, and just seeing some of those sketches/musical performances and thinking "I actually saw that live" is kinda cool.

HelloStuart

[19]Apr 18, 2010
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    It was a lot like the 90s special. They didn't touch up on some backstage things. The 06 budget cut, and firing of certain cast members such as Michaela, Casey, or Jeff come to mind. The 80s special touched up on almost EVERYTHING that happened. But, I guess this was just (much like the 90s) a lot more like a "lets remember all the moments this decade had that were great" special than "here's what happened to me." special like the 80s special was.

Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it. I had never seen the majority of the 9/11 opening, so that was something fresh, and just seeing some of those sketches/musical performances and thinking "I actually saw that live" is kinda cool.

I didn't think they were going to touch upon Mike, CRW, and Jeff, because they left little to no impact on the show. Yes, Mike didn't deserve to be let go, but you could say the same thing about Siobhan Fallon or Jim Breuer. Jeff was an arrogant jack*** behind the scenes and now he's more or less in stand-up purgatory.

TheDiamondDog

[20]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 61

Refresh my memory Stu. Who's Jeff?

My question shows how much of an impact and how memorable he was, since I generally remember people.