Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

The Off-Topic Lounge

HelloStuart

[21]Jan 8, 2010
    • level: 63
    avmon wrote:
    Just read on tvguide.com that NBC may make some changes after they air the Olympics and retun Jay Leno to 10:35 cst for a half hour, have Conan retain his hour at 11:05, with Jimmy Fallon an hour after that but no mention of whether Carson Daily stays on after that. I wrote there (as SNLfan) that it's good Allen, Paar, (Johnny) Carson, and Snyder aren't alive to see this disaster waiting to happen. I mean, the network makes these changes, sees both shows fail, and then hopes to get back some dignity (and former audiences) by almost changing them back. And Letterman's back to being number one because of all this! (It probably helped some ratings-certainly didn't hurt-with his troubles concerning his jokes on Sarah Palin's daughter(s) that got some confused or his confession of his affairs with some female staffers after a "48 Hrs." producer tried to extort him.) I smell a bloodbath at the Peacock network...

I think it's all rumors. It would make a lot more sense to cut bait on Leno. NBC took a big risk and it didn't pay off.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

algetrig91

[22]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 34
    I don't like Conan's odds in this situation. If they'll let go of Letterman for Leno, they are probably just as likely to make Conan move around Jay's schedule.

thecomedianky

[23]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 19
    algetrig91 wrote:
    I don't like Conan's odds in this situation. If they'll let go of Letterman for Leno, they are probably just as likely to make Conan move around Jay's schedule.
    they stand to lose a lot of viewers if they ditch conan.

i only watch chuck and nbc thursdays on nbc as it is. outside of conan and SNL.

TheDiamondDog

[24]Jan 10, 2010
    • level: 61

thecomedianky wrote:
    algetrig91 wrote:
    they stand to lose a lot of viewers if they ditch conan. i only watch chuck and nbc thursdays on nbc as it is. outside of conan and SNL.

I only watch the Cone Zone and SNL as well. Once in a while I watch, well record, Fallon, if someone I like is on.

Why does NBC cater to Leno so much? He ain't even that funny. And why doesn't he just retire? He has enough money and cars. Couldn't he just tour w/ his stand up?

HelloStuart

[25]Jan 11, 2010
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    algetrig91 wrote:
    they stand to lose a lot of viewers if they ditch conan. i only watch chuck and nbc thursdays on nbc as it is. outside of conan and SNL.

I only watch the Cone Zone and SNL as well. Once in a while I watch, well record, Fallon, if someone I like is on.

Why does NBC cater to Leno so much? He ain't even that funny. And why doesn't he just retire? He has enough money and cars. Couldn't he just tour w/ his stand up?

Exactly. Plus, it's not like Leno's core audience is getting any younger.

TheDiamondDog

[26]Jan 11, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    algetrig91 wrote:

Seems like our beloved Cone Zone might be going to Fox, and perhaps back to NYC. I do hope he returns to New York. The show was more entertaining in that setting.

HelloStuart

[27]Jan 13, 2010
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    algetrig91 wrote:

Seems like our beloved Cone Zone might be going to Fox, and perhaps back to NYC. I do hope he returns to New York. The show was more entertaining in that setting.

I agree in that Late Night with Conan was more entertaining than TTS. Not that TTS is unwatchable, but at times it feels streamlined and watered down.

Now it's rumored that Leno has conceided the fight and is leaving NBC.

TheDiamondDog

[28]Jan 13, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    algetrig91 wrote:

I agree in that Late Night with Conan was more entertaining than TTS. Not that TTS is unwatchable, but at times it feels streamlined and watered down. Now it's rumored that Leno has conceided the fight and is leaving NBC.

That'd be something.

evildevil97

[29]Jan 13, 2010
    • level: 26
    If Leno does leave, then my respect for him will be regained. But as of now, I just can't look at him in the same light I used to. Just feels like history is repeating itself from when Johnny retired.

HelloStuart

[30]Jan 13, 2010
    evildevil97 wrote:
    If Leno does leave, then my respect for him will be regained. But as of now, I just can't look at him in the same light I used to. Just feels like history is repeating itself from when Johnny retired.

Perhaps, but Carson left on his own terms.

thecomedianky

[31]Jan 14, 2010
    it's the late shift 2

avmon

[32]Jan 14, 2010
    • level: 16
    I've been watching "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" to see how he's handling himself. He's certainly keeping his sense of humor about the whole thing. And seeing those skits with Howie Mandel and "Kenneth, the NBC Page" were nothing short of hilarious! I also switched to Letterman that last night to watch him mention a possible "meeting" between the NBC talk show hosts (with Jay possibly again sneaking in the closet to eavesdrop) with Jeff Zukor also in attendance for the intervention. He's obviously enjoying all the attention of his former network to the point of having a Top Ten list of Zukor's voicemail and Dave's impersonation of Leno whenever one of the Big Chin's "quotes" comes up. Oh, and I also saw Jimmy Kimmel's show as "Jay" with the chin and he's pretty funny with some of the lame banter and his interview with Chevy Chase in which Chase's talk show failure of '93 is brought up. Wonder what it's gonna be like when he later appears on "The Jay Leno Show" when they do the 10 @ 10 tonight...
    Edited on 01/14/2010 11:32am

bry456

[33]Jan 14, 2010
    According to People magazine a source tells them Conan is done after January 22. A wait and see approach is best.

HelloStuart

[34]Jan 15, 2010
    bry456 wrote:
    According to People magazine a source tells them Conan is done after January 22. A wait and see approach is best.

That could mean anything. Best-case scenario, that's just two weeks of repeats.

bry456

[35]Jan 15, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

True he was scheduled to go to reruns on January 25 anyway.

TheDiamondDog

[36]Jan 15, 2010

bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

Yeah, I guess some rep said that he was going to finish up his schedule.

I didn't see it, but I guess Jimmy Kimmel really laid it on Leno last night.

HelloStuart

[37]Jan 15, 2010
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

bry456 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

Yeah, I guess some rep said that he was going to finish up his schedule.

I didn't see it, but I guess Jimmy Kimmel really laid it on Leno last night.

The clip is online. JK appeared on that "10 @ 10" segment.

thecomedianky

[38]Jan 16, 2010
    if conan is truly finished after the 22nd, watch both letterman and kimmel.

is kimmel on at 12:35 nationally or is only locally? ET airs at 12:05 here

HelloStuart

[39]Jan 16, 2010
    thecomedianky wrote:
    if conan is truly finished after the 22nd, watch both letterman and kimmel.

is kimmel on at 12:35 nationally or is only locally? ET airs at 12:05 here

It depends on the affiliate. In most markets JKL airs immediately after "Nightline" at 12:05/11:05c, though here in Chicago it airs after midnight following an "Oprah" repeat.

TheDiamondDog

[40]Jan 17, 2010

HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    if conan is truly finished after the 22nd, watch both letterman and kimmel. is kimmel on at 12:35 nationally or is only locally? ET airs at 12:05 here
    It depends on the affiliate. In most markets JKL airs immediately after "Nightline" at 12:05/11:05c, though here in Chicago it airs after midnight following an "Oprah" repeat.

Here in Milwaukee, it airs the same time as Fallon.