Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

The Saturday Night Live Movie

mrjimmyjames

[1]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 7

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/saturday-night-at-the-movies-what-the-heck-was-the-saturday-night-live-movie?m=k

A while ago i found an article online talking about this. SNL movies currently seem to be toxic at the box office. To me the sad thing about it is I like most of them anyway (I will admit though that i haven't seen It's Pat: the movie). It's as if people automatically dismiss these movies without even seeing them. However, I think that the movie mentioned in the hyperlink above could be just the answer to changing the fortunes of SNL moives. This concept should be dusted off and used (with new sketches, current writers, and cast members, ofcourse). I think people would be very interested in seeing a "Kentucky Fried Movie" style SNL film. I can't see it costing too much either.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Mar 20, 2011
    • level: 63
    On paper that might work, but a movie would be absurdly time-consuming. Plus, SNL in itself relies heavily on topical humor that wouldn't work on the big screen.

whoaitsconner

[3]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 21
    Isn't "Saturday Night" by James Franco being released in May?

TheDiamondDog

[4]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 61

whoaitsconner wrote:
    Isn't "Saturday Night" by James Franco being released in May?

I completely forgot about that. Never heard ofa release date. Which ep was it filmed at again?

Woodstein

[5]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 14
    If I remember correctly, it was during John Malkovich's last hosting stint in Year 34.

JustinRAn

[6]Mar 21, 2011
    • level: 12
    The Sketches could be Dirty and Darker than A Traditional SNL Episode.

They could Probably do 15-20 Sketches

I Don't know if Musical Performances Would work however.
    Weekend Update would also Be Hard to Do. (Unless they wanted to do a Best-of Bush & Clinton Jokes for Update.)

HelloStuart

[7]Mar 23, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    The sketches could be dirty and darker than a traditional SNL episode.

They could probably do 15-20 sketches.

I don't know if musical performances would work however.
    Weekend Update would also be hard to do (unless they wanted to do a best-of Bush and Clinton jokes for Update).

I can't believe you're all taking this seriously. Outside of KFM, has a sketch-based movie ever worked?

JustinRAn

[8]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 12
    ^
    I Love how you only Quoted me to respond to all of us.

Have you seen 1/2 the movies released already this year; Why Not an SNL Movie?

mrjimmyjames

[9]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 7

yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't have a shot at doing well. as long as the sketches are hilarious enough to generate buzz to create a great reputation through word of mouth. KFM was pretty great but how many times has this style of movie been attempted? Is this type of movie really so unsuccessful or is it simply that for whatever reason not many people have tried it? So why not try it? It could be done gradually over a long period of time and probably very cheaply.

HelloStuart

[10]Mar 25, 2011
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't have a shot at doing well. as long as the sketches are hilarious enough to generate buzz to create a great reputation through word of mouth. KFM was pretty great but how many times has this style of movie been attempted? Is this type of movie really so unsuccessful or is it simply that for whatever reason not many people have tried it? So why not try it? It could be done gradually over a long period of time and probably very cheaply.

Simply put, it's about the medium. Television thrives upon short-form entertainment for short attention spans. Movies, much like theater, are built upon the concept of sitting down and watching something nonstop for an hour and a half, two hours, or even longer. What made KFM a diamond in the rough was its specific focus and intent, which ironically enough was television. Besides, if an SNL movie were to ever exist, it would've been shot years ago.

Woodstein

[11]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 14
    Didn't they already kind of do a Saturday Night Live movie with Mr. Mike's Mondo Video? I haven't seen it, but it came to mind when I read the article the OP linked to.

HelloStuart

[12]Mar 25, 2011

Woodstein wrote:
    Didn't they already kind of do a Saturday Night Live movie with Mr. Mike's Mondo Video? I haven't seen it, but it came to mind when I read the article the OP linked to.

I've seen part of "Mondo Video" and it's uneven, to say the least. Technically, O'Donoghue created the "movie" as a TV special but NBC thought it was too weird for air. It was a meta moment in that Mr. Mike wanted pretend infamy and was forced to deal with genuine disapprobation. Does it count as "the" SNL movie, though? Close enough, I suppose.

Edited on 03/25/2011 9:33pm