Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

They've released seasons 1-4. Will they release every season of SNL?

michaelhanergod

[1]Jan 29, 2010
    • level: 7
    Hoping. It would really be dumb if they stopped at one point. But they should start putting them out quicker
    Edited on 01/29/2010 8:59pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Jan 29, 2010
    • level: 63

Actually, NBC-Universal has released the first five seasons, but no, it doesn't like there's any more coming down the pipeline.

Secondly, the release delays have been a result of music licensing issues. Distributing rare performances of famous musicians isn't exactly cheap.

Edited on 01/29/2010 9:01pm

evildevil97

[3]Jan 29, 2010
    • level: 26
    It should be mentioned that the first five were released in December. So, I wouldnt worry that there's no others currently announced.

HelloStuart

[4]Jan 29, 2010
    evildevil97 wrote:
    It should be mentioned that the first five were released in December. So, I wouldnt worry that there's no others currently announced.

Actually, Season 3 was released in May '08.

evildevil97

[5]Jan 30, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:

I stand corrected, then. My point is still intact though. I wouldnt worry about the next set until at least fall (when it should be announced), since December is the usual release time.

HelloStuart

[6]Jan 30, 2010
    evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:

I stand corrected, then. My point is still intact though. I wouldnt worry about the next set until at least fall (when it should be announced), since December is the usual release time.

I see where you're coming from, but there's just no market for Season 6. Those episodes have been distributed as bootleg tapes for a reason.

evildevil97

[7]Jan 31, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:

I see where you're coming from, but there's just no market for Season 6. Those episodes have been distributed as bootleg tapes for a reason.
    I dont think that should really stop them from continuing. Even if they skip a season or two. I'd prefer they skip ahead to the 1985-86 season (the first one with Jon Lovitz), or the 1986-87 season (the first with Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman).

I dont think season six should necessarily be a roadblock. They could just skip to the next popular era. Though because of Eddie Murphy, I kind of doubt they'd skip the Ebersol era entirely.

HelloStuart

[8]Jan 31, 2010
    evildevil97 wrote:
    I dont think season six should necessarily be a roadblock. They could just skip to the next popular era. Though because of Eddie Murphy, I kind of doubt they'd skip the Ebersol era entirely.

That's the problem- Lorne likes to pretend that the Doumanian/Ebersol years never happened. He's even stated that he couldn't sit through one entire Ebersol show. Lorne was probably pushed into releasing TBO Murphy just to capitalize on the man who was far and away the biggest star of those early-80s casts.

evildevil97

[9]Feb 1, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    That's the problem- Lorne likes to pretend that the Doumanian/Ebersol years never happened. He's even stated that he couldn't sit through one entire Ebersol show. Lorne was probably pushed into releasing TBO Murphy just to capitalize on the man who was far and away the biggest star of those early-80s casts.
    This is interesting. I do hope they skip ahead to '85 or '86 then.
    Edited on 02/01/2010 5:58am

JustinRAn

[10]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 12
    Actually the Best Of's were released by Ebersol. They say "Executive Producer: Dick Ebersol"

How about they Release Special Editions of Seasons without "Musical Performances" like for Season 34 but Include "Goodnight Saigon at the End."

HelloStuart

[11]Feb 1, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Actually the Best Of's were released by Ebersol. They say "Executive Producer: Dick Ebersol."

How about they release special editions of seasons without musical performances like for Season 34 but include "Goodnight Saigon" at the end?

Ebersol was the producer when all those Murphy sketches first aired, but the tape was first released by Broadway Video.

Though the musical performances only take up 10-15% of an average broadcast's running time (sans commercials), SNL has always factored the comedy as much as the music. It's not a complete episode without the musical guest, I cannot emphasize that enough.

evildevil97

[12]Feb 2, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:

Though the musical performances only take up 10-15% of an average broadcast's running time (sans commercials), SNL has always factored the comedy as much as the music. It's not a complete episode without the musical guest, I cannot emphasize that enough.
    I would purchase the Carvey/Hartman era even without musical performances (I'd usually fastforward past them anyway), but I agree that they aren't "complete episodes" with them cut.