Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Thoughts on Kenan

mrjimmyjames

[1]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 7

I guess this question is for those of you who were kids during the 90s like me. I suppose you can say that by now he's been successful on SNL, he's hit a home run with a sketch (What's Up With That) and gets a fairly good amount of airtime now. But like many of you on this forum I've always been disappointed with his tenure on the show. When he joined the show back in 2003, I remember being excited about it and thinking that he was going to be a huge star. Sure he was on a kids show before, but I thought he always had the talent to do SNL and all he had to do was adapt it to this level. So to me the question is why hasn't he been better on the show? Did he not even have that much talent to begin with or did he and where did it go? It's always shocked me that he rarely plays Bill Cosby; his impression is great and he could have instantly made a name out of himself immediately by doing that. Maybe the working relationship between the two is the reason.

Edited on 07/01/2012 9:29am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[2]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 12
    I think after 9 years, You run dry.

I remember someone from SNL saying:
    In the first year, you have a lifetime of ideas
    For the second year, you have a summer and It's less and less ever year.

HelloStuart

[3]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 63
    Considering how Bill Cosby has become less of a comedian and more of a strident old coot in recent years, I can see why it's difficult to pool any satire for Kenan to play around with.

I can see where an "All That" fan might be underwhelmed with Thompson's work on SNL, but it hasn't been a complete waste. When you think about it, he's one of a precious few from the Nick series to extend his success into adulthood. He'll never be a movie star, but I'm sure when and if KT leaves he'll find plenty more TV work.

Ruckhappy

[4]Jul 1, 2012
    • level: 8

Stu makes a good point about the relevancy of a Cosby impression these days. It's a shame: he does do a good Cosby.

I had barely seen Kenan's work before he started on SNL, so I had low expectations from the start. I don't blame Kenan for his lack of originality or productivity on the show. I blame Lorne (and the other producers and senior writers). Kenan should have been pushed to develop more range and writing ability and then let go if he didn't. Lorne should have kept Finesse Mitchell instead. From what little we saw of him in sketches playing non-stereotype characters, Mitchell might have become the "black Sudeikis" before there was a Sudeikis.

Psy4potato

[5]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 10
    I like him when they give him stuff to do. I love Whats Up With That....but this past season he didn't seem to get much air time.

avmon

[6]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 16
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Stu makes a good point about the relevancy of a Cosby impression these days. It's a shame: he does do a good Cosby.

I had barely seen Kenan's work before he started on SNL, so I had low expectations from the start. I don't blame Kenan for his lack of originality or productivity on the show. I blame Lorne (and the other producers and senior writers). Kenan should have been pushed to develop more range and writing ability and then let go if he didn't. Lorne should have kept Finesse Mitchell instead. From what little we saw of him in sketches playing non-stereotype characters, Mitchell might have become the "black Sudeikis" before there was a Sudeikis.

Maybe Eddie Murphy was lucky to not have been mentored by Lorne.

mrjimmyjames

[7]Jul 8, 2012

avmon wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. Many of Lorne's stars and associates tend to frequently land in each other's movies and well, when was the last time Eddie Murphy had a good movie?

HelloStuart

[8]Jul 9, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not. Many of Lorne's stars and associates tend to frequently land in each other's movies and well, when was the last time Eddie Murphy had a good movie?

Uh... "Dreamgirls."

TheDiamondDog

[9]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Uh... "Dreamgirls."

I thought that movie didn't get the best reviews.

HelloStuart

[10]Jul 9, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

avmon wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Uh... "Dreamgirls."

I thought that movie didn't get the best reviews.

"Dreamgirls" has two four-star performances (J-Hud and Eddie), a three-star soundtrack, and a two-star script.

JustinRAn

[12]Jul 9, 2012
    • level: 12
    And had he not made Norbit, He probably would've won.

HelloStuart

[13]Jul 9, 2012
    JustinRAn wrote:
    And had he not made Norbit, He probably would've won.

Timing was the culprit, really. Flop or not, had "Norbit" been released after Oscar season rather than before... well, Alan Arkin's mantelpiece would have one less trophy.

Back to Kenan: there's no indicator that he's leaving, so we can only assume he's staying for a 10th season.

Ruckhappy

[14]Jul 10, 2012

If Seth is leaving (and I don't believe his recent denial), Lorne will be even more determined to keep Kenan and Fred. What gets me is that Kenan doesn't seem to be even trying to find post-SNL opportunities. He doesn't do any press or talk shows. He doesn't work at getting many film roles. He seems pretty content to just keep coming back to SNL every fall as long as Lorne allows.

mrjimmyjames

[15]Jul 18, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

Yes, but it's not as if relevancy is a must for SNL. Considering all of the "Lawrence Welk" and"Secret Word"sketches. Or Hader impersonating Vincent Price and Peter O'Toole.

HelloStuart

[16]Jul 18, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Yes, but it's not as if relevancy is a must for SNL. Considering all of the "Lawrence Welk" and "Secret Word" sketches. Or Hader impersonating Vincent Price and Peter O'Toole.

However, those work for the sheer randomness of their existence. Either way, maybe Kenan simply doesn't want to imitate Cos anymore.

Psy4potato

[17]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 10

Random FYI That I Want to Share:He should pull out some All That characters.....90's kids would love that....lol although that would prob. mean they would need rights to them and he prob. has no desire to perform them again, but i can dream. But if Amanda Bynes ever finds her way to hosting....I would hope for something.

I loved his reference in the Lindsay Lohan sketch "I've been high since Good Burger". This made the inner 90's child me very happy!

evildevil97

[18]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 26
    Psy4potato wrote:

Random FYI That I Want to Share:He should pull out some All That characters.....90's kids would love that...

I'd assume there'd be intellectual property issues. But impressions are fair game. But what impersonations did Kenan do on All-That besides Cosby?

Depressing fact: Kenan spent more time on SNL than All-That.

Ruckhappy

[19]Aug 17, 2012

evildevil97 wrote:

Unless you know something that we don't, Kenan is likely going to be spending even more time on SNL this year. And your choice of a verb is a funny coincidence, because Kenan's continued tenure on the show will cost SNL in terms of future opportunities for new cast.

HelloStuart

[20]Aug 19, 2012
    evildevil97 wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

Random FYI That I Want to Share:He should pull out some All That characters.....90's kids would love that...

I'd assume there'd be intellectual property issues. But impressions are fair game. But what impersonations did Kenan do on All-That besides Cosby?

Nearly twice as long.

Chances are, there's the brick wall of intellectual property, but also the inherent sadness of a 34-year-old man reprising characters he first created when he was 16.

mrjimmyjames

[21]Aug 23, 2012

Psy4potato wrote:

I loved his reference in the Lindsay Lohan sketch "I've been high since Good Burger". This made the inner 90's child me very happy!

I loved that too! I think its the first time Kenan has ever referenced All That while he was on SNL.