Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Winter Auditions

HelloStuart

[1]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 63

Guys, I have a confession to make:

Last Thursday, I attended the SNL audition showcase at iO Chicago. This basically confirms two things: there will likely be featured players added before the end of the season, and that there will be some cast turnover after Year 37. Similar auditions were held in LA and New York this past week. I kept this information under wraps because I didn't want to create a firestorm in the forum or anywhere else. Again, I apologize.

With that said, click on my profile icon and it will link you to my latest blog entry, where I share details about the audition and my "picks to click."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[2]Jan 25, 2012
    • level: 9
    How does the scale of this round of interviews compare to mid-season interview rounds in the past? Because it sounds like a pretty big sweep of the farm system, as if they're expecting to add 2-3 bodies in the spring. It doesn't sound like they're looking for just one body to replace someone leaving early, say Wiig or Sudeikis.

I would also take these auditions as a sign that Andy is leaving Also, were any of the 17 black or otherwise of color? I infer that none of the seven you picked out are. I'm sure Jay Pharaoh is just as interested as I am in whether they're auditioning black actors.

HelloStuart

[4]Jan 27, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    How does the scale of this round of interviews compare to mid-season interview rounds in the past? Because it sounds like a pretty big sweep of the farm system, as if they're expecting to add 2-3 bodies in the spring. It doesn't sound like they're looking for just one body to replace someone leaving early, say Wiig or Sudeikis.

I would also take these auditions as a sign that Andy is leaving Also, were any of the 17 black or otherwise of color? I infer that none of the seven you picked out are. I'm sure Jay Pharaoh is just as interested as I am in whether they're auditioning black actors.

My seven picks are all white; three males and four females. One African-American actor, a fellow named Patrick Rowland, did a very good Obama impression but otherwise his audition was merely okay. Tawlik might be biracial, I'm not totally sure.

As for how many people are flown in to NYC for the next round of auditions, I assume about 20 make the cut, but it can vary. Out of that, they'll probably pick at least one new featured player and one writer.

As for who's leaving, your guess is as good as mine, but I'm almost certain Hader and Samberg are sticking around for Year 38. (I could've sworn there was an article in the "General News" thread that can back me up.) I sincerely doubt, however that anyone is leaving before May. My best guess would be Army and Kenan.

HelloStuart

[5]Jan 27, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    This video of Ross Kimball has most of the bits that Stu described from the audition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwTBzx8aTQ

Holy crap, that is Ross' audition! And the POV is approximately where I sat! What the heck?

JustinRAn

[7]Jan 28, 2012
    • level: 12
    I want to see Jennifer Anniston's, Jenny Slates, Casey Wilson's, and everyone else's.

Hint to Lionsgate, Next SNL DVD Release?

HelloStuart

[8]Jan 28, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    rishabhpb wrote:
    This video of Ross Kimball has most of the bits that Stu described from the audition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCwTBzx8aTQ

Holy crap, that is Ross' audition! And the POV is approximately where I sat! What the heck?

Well, the uploader has nothing else from iO, could be a friend of the guy.

Speaking of audition tapes, has Jim Carrey's ever been seen? I just read the book "An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live" and Lorne mentioned it in one part.

Nope... if one even exists.

HelloStuart

[10]Jan 28, 2012
    Also, just an FYI: auditions are rarely held in midseason. They're almost always over the summer. Just wanted to clarify that.

Ruckhappy

[11]Jan 30, 2012
    I would have thought they'd have learned from Dave Attell that looking for writers via performance auditions is a mixed bag. Historically, SNL's best writers have come from a primarily writing background. What you want are scriptwriters who have the training in dramatic structure to understand how characters interact and trade focus, even in the minimal premises of a sketch, but also have had the directing and acting and improv (ideally) experience to know how material lives on its feet in performance (he wrote, looking in the mirror).

mrjimmyjames

[12]Jan 31, 2012
    • level: 7

I wonder where and how Pauly B's departure plays a role in this.

Ruckhappy

[13]Jan 31, 2012
    Speculation seems to be that, since the auditions preceded his sudden exit, he said something about them that got himself fired. But that doesn't seem likely since, with so many established cast likely to leave, the auditions were probably to replace them, not any of the "new" crew.

HelloStuart

[14]Jan 31, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I wonder where and how Pauly B's departure plays a role in this.

Considering that winter auditions are few and far between, we'll see at least one new face by May. All other bets are off.

Ruckhappy

[15]Feb 15, 2012

Catching up on the news I see that Wiig is now listed as the female lead for three films in pre-production slated to be released in 2013. If she's committed to shoot all three--and they look like pretty firm projects--she can't possibly be coming back to SNL in the fall. I think we can pretty much call it a lock at this point.

Interestingly, she was announced to be signed for the last one (what looks like a high-profile Ben Stiller project) just a couple of weeks before the recent auditions. The timing would just about fit if that was the point at which she told Lorne she definitely wouldn't be coming back, and he decided that he needed to ramp up his cast restocking for the fall. If he already knew that Jason, Andy and Fred were leaving, and then he found out about Wiig, that's a lot of established talent to lose.

Still can't figure how Brittain's departure fits. Maybe he thought he'd be overshadowed by an influx of new faces and threw a fit? Or maybe Lorne signed Fred and Kenan to extensions (please god, no!) and Paul had been counting on them to leave so he could get more airtime.

Stu, still think Andy is going to stay with the show? Early word is that his film with Sandler will be a smash...which I take with a grain of salt but, y'know, when one of Adam's films is a hit they tend to blow up huge. Watching Andy and Sandler plug it on Fallon's show, I got the same vibe from him that I did when Jason was promoting Horrible Bosses: like he was looking for this to be the break that lets him move on from SNL.

Edited on 02/15/2012 2:08am

HelloStuart

[16]Feb 15, 2012

Ruckhappy wrote:

Catching up on the news I see that Wiig is now listed as the female lead for three films in pre-production slated to be released in 2013. If she's committed to shoot all three--and they look like pretty firm projects--she can't possibly be coming back to SNL in the fall. I think we can pretty much call it a lock at this point.

Interestingly, she was announced to be signed for the last one (what looks like a high-profile Ben Stiller project) just a couple of weeks before the recent auditions. The timing would just about fit if that was the point at which she told Lorne she definitely wouldn't be coming back, and he decided that he needed to ramp up his cast restocking for the fall. If he already knew that Jason, Andy and Fred were leaving, and then he found out about Wiig, that's a lot of established talent to lose.

Still can't figure how Brittain's departure fits. Maybe he thought he'd be overshadowed by an influx of new faces and threw a fit? Or maybe Lorne signed Fred and Kenan to extensions (please god, no!) and Paul had been counting on them to leave so he could get more airtime.

Stu, still think Andy is going to stay with the show? Early word is that his film with Sandler will be a smash...which I take with a grain of salt but, y'know, when one of Adam's films is a hit they tend to blow up huge. Watching Andy and Sandler plug it on Fallon's show, I got the same vibe from him that I did when Jason was promoting Horrible Bosses: like he was looking for this to be the break that lets him move on from SNL.

On Wiigy: there is a possibility that she's shooting all three movies over the summer, and that some are being produced right now while working around live weeks.

On Pauly B: he left on his own terms, that's all we can confirm at this point. The "word" at iO was that was fed up, but I doubt this was because he was "waiting" for other cast members to leave. The current cast is relatively drama-free, and Paul is not a diva by any means. Plus, the producers tend to cast "types" and Paul had little in common with Kenan or Army. Case in point: look at the unofficial four-woman structure the cast has had in place since 2002 or so: blonde, redhead/dark blonde, brunette, ethnic. Chances are, he couldn't handle the frantic pace of the show's production.

As for "Sir Andrew" (as he was dubbed on 30 Rock not long ago): Suds plugged the heck out of "Horrible Bosses" and the movie was a modest hit, but he's still here. Looking at the class of '05, it's a safe bet at least two of them will be back next season. Of course, we could all be wrong.

Edited on 02/15/2012 10:34pm

Ruckhappy

[17]Feb 16, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:

On Wiigy: there is a possibility that she's shooting all three movies over the summer, and that some are being produced right now while working around live weeks.

If I'm reading IMDB right none of her three big projects slated for 2013 release have started shooting yet and aren't likely to before summer. It looks like she's signed to lead roles in each of them. For a standard comedy shoot that's a minimum six-week production commitment, usually more like 8 weeks. She could just barely make the timing work over a long summer break and through dark weeks in the fall but she'd be a limp rag and her work would suffer.

I'm sticking with my prediction. If she's actually signed (not just "attached") for all three and they all go into serious pre-production this spring, she'll have to announce that she's leaving because it'll be obvious she can't stay.

HelloStuart

[18]Feb 16, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

If I'm reading IMDB right none of her three big projects slated for 2013 release have started shooting yet and aren't likely to before summer. It looks like she's signed to lead roles in each of them. For a standard comedy shoot that's a minimum six-week production commitment, usually more like 8 weeks. She could just barely make the timing work over a long summer break and through dark weeks in the fall but she'd be a limp rag and her work would suffer.

I'm sticking with my prediction. If she's actually signed (not just "attached") for all three and they all go into serious pre-production this spring, she'll have to announce that she's leaving because it'll be obvious she can't stay.

Fair enough; I'm just weighing the pros and cons. I predicted Wiig's last year would be 2011-12 and I guess I should stand by my prognostication.

Ruckhappy

[20]Feb 16, 2012

rishabhpb wrote:
    They had more auditions, you can almost smell the new blood. http://splitsider.com/2012/02/snl-looking-to-add-new-castmembers-held-auditions-this-week-in-nyc

Bobby started mid-season? Great research, guys!

See, this is why I think most of the Class of '05 are planning to leave. Lorne is generally content to restock cast over the summer, so he must have some reason (other than replacing Paul B.) to be bringing in new bodies now. Unless one of the girls is pregnant, which seems really unlikely. I'm just really, really hoping that Bill is the one that stays.

But this is good news. Let's hope they find enough new blood that Lorne feel confident enough to nudge Fred and Kenan along to greener pastures as well as replace those leaving voluntarily.

mrjimmyjames

[21]Feb 16, 2012
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Fair enough; I'm just weighing the pros and cons. I predicted Wiig's last year would be 2011-12 and I guess I should stand by my prognostication.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I want to sound like some haters who just can't stand Wiig no matter what she does. I think she's been overall a great addition to the show and has had many great moments but... I just can't help but feel like she's done everything she could possibly do on the show. If she came back next year it would be too much. For more than any other cast member, I just don't think it would be all that healthy for the show if she came back next year. It just feels right for her to move on and the show to hand over to yet another talented female performer.

HelloStuart

[22]Feb 17, 2012

rishabhpb wrote:
    They had more auditions, you can almost smell the new blood.

http://splitsider.com/2012/02/snl-looking-to-add-new-castmembers-held-auditions-this-week-in-nyc

Actually, this is that second round of auditions I was talking about. A hundred-odd audition on their home turf (LA/Chicago/NYC), then the callbacks are flown out east. No word yet on who got the call from iO.

Ruckhappy

[23]Feb 18, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    They had more auditions, you can almost smell the new blood.

http://splitsider.com/2012/02/snl-looking-to-add-new-castmembers-held-auditions-this-week-in-nyc

Actually, this is that second round of auditions I was talking about. A hundred-odd audition on their home turf (LA/Chicago/NYC), then the callbacks are flown out east. No word yet on who got the call from iO.

It sounds more like a first round audition for New York, except that Lorne was there. Aren't second round auditions always held at 8H?

Regardless, it's evident that new blood will be added during this season. I'm mostly interested in whether and which black men make it to the second round, because that could determine the future of Kenan, Fred and/or Jay.

HelloStuart

[24]Feb 19, 2012
    As it turns out, Rish was onto something. I spoke with Lyndsay Hailey earlier tonight, and she said she hasn't heard from 30 Rock yet. Apparently, whatever happened in NYC last week was a first-round audition.