Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Winter Auditions

HelloStuart

[26]Mar 8, 2012
    • level: 63
    I can now confirm that Jet Eveleth received a callback, and is heading to NYC this weekend.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[28]Mar 9, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    I can now confirm that Jet Eveleth received a callback, and is heading to NYC this weekend.

I'm subscribed to her Youtube channel, and I am glad to say that her most recent video reminded me of things Kristen Wiig would do.

Jet is an absolute sweetheart; one of the nicest performers I've met on the Chicago scene. She deserves whatever success comes to her.

HelloStuart

[30]Mar 28, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:

Aha, look who they actually hired. Not sure what to think from those Youtube clips. http://www.tv.com/news/snl-meet-the-new-girl-kate-mckinnon-28237/

From what I can tell, she came from the LA auditions. Congrats to K-Mac, but I'm sure there are more to come.

drudager

[32]Mar 29, 2012
    • level: 13
    ""relishes playing ugly and/or British characters"

"Oough?", was my initial reaction. Looks like a Rachel Dratch type.

HelloStuart

[33]Mar 29, 2012

drudager wrote:
    ""relishes playing ugly and/or British characters" "Oough?", was my initial reaction. Looks like a Rachel Dratch type.

She reminds me a little of Dratch, but as much as I hate to say it, I see some Hutsell too. Than again, "Big Gay Sketch Show" wasn't exactly in SNL's league. Either way, this is the beginning of the transition, and I'm wishing her the best.

Edited on 03/29/2012 8:44pm

Ruckhappy

[34]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:

From what I can tell, she came from the LA auditions. Congrats to K-Mac, but I'm sure there are more to come.[/QUOTE]

Cool that she's starting (presumably) on an episode with a woman host. Five women in the cast, plus the host, you'd think that'd give you options for writing women-oriented sketches.

HelloStuart

[35]Apr 1, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

From what I can tell, she came from the LA auditions. Congrats to K-Mac, but I'm sure there are more to come.

Cool that she's starting (presumably) on an episode with a woman host. Five women in the cast, plus the host, you'd think that'd give you options for writing women-oriented sketches.

Also, the cast is over 33% female for the first time the late '80s.

drudager

[36]Apr 2, 2012
    Let's hope they put their feminist agenda to use & actually make some funny sketches with other female cast members besides Wiig in them **knock on wood**

HelloStuart

[37]Apr 4, 2012

The other shoe is starting to fall:

http://tvline.com/2012/04/04/kristen-wiig-andy-samberg-jason-sudeikis-leaving-snl/

drudager

[38]Apr 4, 2012

You guys LIED to me!!!

TheDiamondDog

[40]Apr 4, 2012
    • level: 61

US Weekly? Not too reliable always. But if I am correct, they were the first to report Kim K's divorce.

Better delete the link I posted in News & Media.

Anyways, the digital shorts haven't been exactly great this season. And Kristen saving every skit? That's debatable. She makes them annoying.

Edited on 04/04/2012 8:33pm

drudager

[41]Apr 4, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

US Weekly? Not too reliable always. But if I am correct, they were the first to report Kim K's divorce.

Anyways, the digital shorts haven't been exactly great this season. And Kristen saving every skit? That's debatable. She makes them annoying.

Agreed. The DS have become played out & Wiig transitioned from being funny to obnoxious, vastly overexposed & annoying. It's like hearing your favorite song on the radio 100 times & it's no longer enjoyable.

HelloStuart

[42]Apr 6, 2012
    drudager wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Agreed. The DS have become played out & Wiig transitioned from being funny to obnoxious, vastly overexposed & annoying. It's like hearing your favorite song on the radio 100 times & it's no longer enjoyable.

The X-factor on the digital shorts are Jorma and Akiva. With both gone, the filmed pieces are now written by committee and no one is replicating the magic. There have only been one or two this season that I found to be genuinely funny.

drudager

[43]Apr 6, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

The X-factor on the digital shorts are Jorma and Akiva. With both gone, the filmed pieces are now written by committee and no one is replicating the magic.

That would definitely do it. It is apparent something is sorely lacking. Glad it wasn't just me noticing.

TheDiamondDog

[44]Apr 6, 2012
    • level: 61

drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

The X-factor on the digital shorts are Jorma and Akiva. With both gone, the filmed pieces are now written by committee and no one is replicating the magic.
    That would definitely do it. It is apparent something is sorely lacking. Glad it wasn't just me noticing.

I actually had been wondering if something contributing to Andy leaving was the fact that his friends are no longer on the show. I remember back in 2005 he said how he was really excited the three of them were working on the show.

drudager

[45]Apr 6, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I actually had been wondering if something contributing to Andy leaving was the fact that his friends are no longer on the show. I remember back in 2005 he said how he was really excited the three of them were working on the show.

That, and it seems like he's never in any sketches. He's been on the show for a long time. 2005 was 7 years ago :\

mrjimmyjames

[46]Apr 7, 2012
    • level: 7

drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

That makes perfect sense. I had wondered why most of the digital shorts had sucked in these past two seasons. The only one in that time that I can think of that made me laugh has been "Jack Sparrow" with Michael Bolton. It seemed like once they ran out of music videos for songs from their album "Incredibad" the quality just fell off.

Andy's my favorite but it's obvious he's done all he can do here and it's time to move on.

Wiig, to me, peaked during the 09-10 season at which point like mentioned above she transitioned from impressively talented and funny to obnoxious and overexposed. So for these last two seasons she's been dead to me. Maybe if she had not hogged the show so much in 09-10 and spread out her exposure on the show for the next two seasons, people wouldn't be quite as sick of her by now.

Ruckhappy

[47]Apr 8, 2012

C'mon, we knew that Kristen and Jason were leaving months ago. I think Jason made up his mind a year ago and it was Kristen telling Lorne that she absolutely wouldn't be back that triggered the winter audition rounds. Andy is no surprise either.

What interests me now is the status of Lorne's extension negotiations and how that's effecting whether they bring in more new cast this season. Because they need to do that. They need to stop giving sketch roles to Abby and Fred and Kenan that could be going to season new cast.

drudager

[48]Apr 8, 2012
    This show needs to reboot in the worst way. Wiig, Sudeikis, Armisen, Thompson, Samberg and Elliott all need to go. It's just time for some fresh blood & a complete overhaul. There's nothing left from them to be done. Maybe you need Hader but he's been on the show a long time as well but he seem too comfortable & casual when on WU. I'd keep Pedrad, Bayer, Killam, Pharoah, Moynihan & McKinnon, hire at least another 2 new cast members; boot Seth from the WU desk & get some new writers. I don't care that it's an election year - it's time to generate some new life; and sink or swim. It feels like I'm watching the same exact show every single week. I just want to see something new & completely different. I know it will never, EVER happen, but a show without the mandatory WU or the political cold opening.

Ruckhappy

[49]Apr 8, 2012

drudager wrote:
    It feels like I'm watching the same exact show every single week.

Funny, it feels like I'm reading the same exact thing every time I read one of your posts. How about some insightful, detailed observations about the show instead of the same "they all suck, fire everyone" blanket condemnations over and over and over.