Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Your ideal season would include...

JustinRAn

[24]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 12
    Zach Galifanikis was A Bad Host IMO.

Anne Hathaway, Will Ferrell, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, and Emma Stone don't have Movies around that time.

Colbert and Fallon would probably be working on their shows (Unless they're Off that week, which I Doubt)

Ricky Gervais is a Joke and Idea-Theif Unfunny Person. I'd rather they have Carlos Mencia that Ricky Gervais.

5 Week Break, Why Not. PS Yes I Was Guessing on the Dates.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[26]Jun 29, 2011
    rishabhpb wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Ricky Gervais is a Joke and Idea-Theif Unfunny Person. I'd rather they have Carlos Mencia that Ricky Gervais.

Disagree with all of that, but it would be quite hard to write sketches for him.

I Dislike Him, I've seen his HBO Stand-Up Special, I've Seen his Spill.com, I Mean Ricky Gervais Show, I've seen the American Office, I've Seen Ghost Town, I've Seen The Invention of Lying, Not Once Have I Been Entertained.

Hennes81

[27]Jun 30, 2011
    • level: 5

I like Gervais as a live personality (talk shows, award shows), so I would like him to see him on that stage once. But risha might be right. He isn't necessarily a great sketch performer. Maybe he can do a cameo the night before the Golden Globes are shown.

Levitt has a movie with Seth Rogen coming on Sep 30th. I could imagine one of these two at the second show.

A comedy with Will Ferrell, Zach Galifaniakis, John C. Reilly and Will Forte is scheduled for March 2012. It's a no-brainer to see some potential for a hosting gig here.

Also there are some movies for Miley and Emma listed in IMDB which could use some SNL promotion. But maybe it's better for those two to take a year off of SNL.

Edited on 06/30/2011 11:06am

HelloStuart

[28]Jul 3, 2011
    • level: 63
    I think Ricky Gervais is wonderful too, but I can't see him doing sketches, either.

TheDiamondDog

[29]Jul 4, 2011
    • level: 61

I'm on the fence about him. I don't love him, but don't hate him either. Not a fan, but can stand him.

I'm surprised he hadn't been asked to host before.

drudager

[31]Jul 7, 2011
    • level: 13
    Hmmmm, I could pick whoever hosts I want??

I'll start off with a classic:

Steve Martin
    Jim Carrey
    Zack Galafianakis
    Drew Barrymore
    Hugh Laurie
    Alec Baldwin
    Justin Timberlake
    Christopher Walken
    Natalie Portman
    Paul Giamatti
    Ben Affleck
    John Lithgow
    Seth Rogen
    Jack Black
    John Goodman
    Dan Aykroyd & Chevy Chase
    Mike Myers
    Tom Hanks
    Will Ferrell
    Dana Carvey
    Jon Lovitz
    And finally, John C. McGinley

JustinRAn

[32]Jul 7, 2011
    drudager wrote:
    Hmmmm, I could pick whoever hosts I want??

I'll start off with a classic:

Steve Martin
    Jim Carrey
    Zack Galafianakis
    Drew Barrymore
    Hugh Laurie
    Alec Baldwin
    Justin Timberlake
    Christopher Walken
    Natalie Portman
    Paul Giamatti
    Ben Affleck
    John Lithgow
    Seth Rogen
    Jack Black
    John Goodman
    Dan Aykroyd & Chevy Chase
    Mike Myers
    Tom Hanks
    Will Ferrell
    Dana Carvey
    Jon Lovitz
    And finally, John C. McGinley

4 Things:
    - You Only had 2 Women; Even the Worst Season of SNL has 3
    - Chevy Chase is Banned from Hosting
    - John Goodman has said he's too old for SNL's Work Ethic
    - And Personally, Christopher Walken's Last Hosting was TERRIBLE.

drudager

[33]Jul 8, 2011

JustinRAn wrote:
    4 Things: - You Only had 2 Women; Even the Worst Season of SNL has 3 - Chevy Chase is Banned from Hosting - John Goodman has said he's too old for SNL's Work Ethic - And Personally, Christopher Walken's Last Hosting was TERRIBLE.

Hmmm, by my count, the worst season had 10/11 or 6.

It could always be "Dan Akyroyd hosting with special guest supporter Chevy Chase". Plus Chevy did his Weekend Update bit back on the Seth Rogen / Spoon episode.

I would hope that John Goodman after quitting drinking & smoking & all those Dunkin' Donuts, he might be up for another go around.

Walken is the SCHIZZ! How could any SNL fan put down Walken?? He was especially hilarious on the "Top Chef" sketch.

HelloStuart

[34]Jul 8, 2011
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:
    4 Things:
    - You only had 2 Women; Even the worst season of SNL has 3
    - Chevy Chase is banned from hosting
    - John Goodman has said he's too old for SNL's work ethic
    - And personally, Christopher Walken's last hosting was TERRIBLE.

First off, I wouldn't measure how strong any particular season of the show can be depending upon how many women host. 1980-81, arguably the worst season in the show's history, had just as many women (Ellyn Burstyn, Jamie Lee Curtis, Karen Black, Sally Kellerman, Debbie Harry, Charlene Tilton) hosting as men (Elliott Gould, Malcolm MacDowell, Ray Sharkey, Robert Hays, Keith Carradine, Bill Murray). On the flip side, 1984-85 --the best year of the Ebersol era-- had only two women host, and none before January. Nowadays, roughly 40% of hosts are women, so draw your own conclusions.

Secondly, while I respect John Goodman for losing weight and quitting his drinking problem, if he feels like he can't keep up with SNL's frenetic production pace, that's his call. I'd love to see him back someday, even just for a cameo.

Finally, Walken was off his game the last time he hosted, but he wasn't ghastly and that doesn't mean Chris can't rebound for next time.

There's no wrong answers here, just speculation. The only host I would nitpick on Drudager's list is Johnny C, if only because a) "Scrubs" ran two or three years beyond its expiration date and b) McGinley hasn't done much since then. That's a guy who should've hosted in 2004 or 2005, not 2011.

JustinRAn

[35]Jul 8, 2011
    HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    4 Things:
    - You only had 2 Women; Even the worst season of SNL has 3
    - Chevy Chase is banned from hosting
    - John Goodman has said he's too old for SNL's work ethic
    - And personally, Christopher Walken's last hosting was TERRIBLE.

First off, I wouldn't measure how strong any particular season of the show can be depending upon how many women host. 1980-81, arguably the worst season in the show's history, had just as many women (Ellyn Burstyn, Jamie Lee Curtis, Karen Black, Sally Kellerman, Debbie Harry, Charlene Tilton) hosting as men (Elliott Gould, Malcolm MacDowell, Ray Sharkey, Robert Hays, Keith Carradine, Bill Murray). On the flip side, 1984-85 --the best year of the Ebersol era-- had only two women host, and none before January. Nowadays, roughly 40% of hosts are women, so draw your own conclusions.

Secondly, while I respect John Goodman for losing weight and quitting his drinking problem, if he feels like he can't keep up with SNL's frenetic production pace, that's his call. I'd love to see him back someday, even just for a cameo.

Finally, Walken was off his game the last time he hosted, but he wasn't ghastly and that doesn't mean Chris can't rebound for next time.

There's no wrong answers here, just speculation. The only host I would nitpick on Drudager's list is Johnny C, if only because a) "Scrubs" ran two or three years beyond its expiration date and b) McGinley hasn't done much since then. That's a guy who should've hosted in 2004 or 2005, not 2011.

When I Said worst Season, I Was Referring to the Season with the Least Female Hosts.
    For Walken's Show; The "Best" Sketch was The Grease Sketch

drudager

[36]Jul 13, 2011
    HelloStuart wrote:

Thanks, Stu. I guess McGinley is my sentimental choice, ultimately being disappointed that the (wrong?) 'Scrubs' actor hosted, and quite frankly, that episode wasn't that great. And you can call me "Rud" (rhymes with 'crud') for short.

JustinRAn

[37]Oct 17, 2011
    2 out of 22... so far

Alec Baldwin
    Jason Segal

stellarchick86

[39]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 32
    Id agree with those who are putting in the male comedians and such; Colbert, Stewart, Gervais, etc. Id love Craig Ferguson too but his show is so silly anyway that its almost like hes already done it. I feel like those guys are probably the only people who havent done it yet lol. Hmm who else...Will Arnett & Jason Bateman since I love Arrested Development...Eva Longoria...Ellen Degeneres could be interesting, did she do it yet? (Im sure she has at some point Im just not remembering), Lisa Kudrow, Lady Gaga because Im a big fan but Im sure they will get her on at some point, Sophia Bush (as if you couldnt tell by my av already lol)..Cant really think of anyone else. Just trying to think of fun people that either 1. wasnt a former SNL member or 2. hasnt been on lately. Its not easy lol.

wichovettorazzi

[40]Oct 19, 2011
    • level: 5
    JustinRAn wrote:
    My Idea:

September 24- Sarah Michelle Gellar 4
    October 1- Thomas Lennon
    October 8- Paul Rudd 3
    October 15- Christina Applegate 2
    November 5- Justin Timberlake 5
    November 12- Neil Patrick Harris 2
    November 19- Matt Damon 2
    December 3- Jason Segal
    December 10- Ashton Kutcher 5
    December 17- Scarlett Johannson 4
    January 21- Kristen Bell
    January 28- Dwayne Johnson 4
    February 4- Alec Baldwin?
    February 11- Ryan Reynolds 2
    February 25- Amanda Seyfried
    March 3- Taylor Swift 2
    March 10- Jessica Biel
    March 17- Ice Cube
    April 14- Sean William Scott 2
    April 28- Zachary Levi
    May 5- Tina Fey 4
    May 12- Jennifer Lopez 3

One of the best I've seen so far... Except for Taylor Swift. I didn't like at all her first hosting. And also, not a huge fan of Christina Applegate and Thomas Lennon. Although, I might change my mind about them if I ever see them hosting.