Saturday Night Live

Gary Busey/Rick Danko and Paul Butterfield, Eubie Blake and Gregory Hines

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Mar 10, 1979 on NBC

• I'm just wild about Gary

"The Buddy Holly Story" star Gary Busey hosts and piano legend Eubie Blake and tap dance aficionado Gregory Hines perform.

Cold Open- Belushi upset at Gary: Belushi is upset at Gary for being nominated for an Oscar and he wasn't, then they discuss their issues. A very tacked on "Live From New York…" follows. Eh

Monologue- Gary gets pumped for the show by slapping his thighs and weird vocalizing. I guess this better then a run-of-the-mill monologue. The Carters in Israel- President Carter (Aykroyd) is pushed into taking his hard drinking, hard partying brother Billy (Gary) with him to Israel by his mother (Gilda); Loved the ad-lib to Busey's late entrance into the room and his hooting at the dinner.

Gregory Hines and Eubie Blake "chat" and perform a series of Jazz standards "Lowdown Blues", "Simply Full of Jazz" (with Hines performing a tap dancing routine) and "I'm Just Wild about Harry." I like the fact that Hines didn't change the lyrics to "…Harry."

Women's Problem- Men (Aykroyd, Murray, Gary) discuss their issues with women and take questions from the audience (Brian Doyle-Murray, Belushi). A tad boring. However, I'm glad the audience felt the need to wave at themselves on camera.

Weekend Update with Jane Curtin and Bill Murray- Jane leaves her earrings at Bill's apartment; and the real highlight, Bill Murray's Celebrity Corner- Ms. Ed (Gilda) is interviewed on her thoughts about Mr. Ed's death. A real horse was used and the mare refused to stay still in front of the green screen causing awkward camera shots of back stage and the crew tangling with the horse. At the end of the segment, in a rare occurrence, Jane bursts into a huge laugh instead saying "Good Night and have a pleasant tomorrow." Great segment. Unsung Heroes of Rock 'n Roll- At a school dance, students chit chat about relationships, rock 'n roll and a band performance that angers the uptight administration (Aykroyd). A dramatic piece with Aykroyd showcasing his usual uptight authority figure character.

"Perchance for a Dream" (film) – Honker (Bill) goes from sleeping in streets to performing a scene from the "Good Night, Good Night" speech from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Like "Don't Look Back" and "Dolce de Gilda", this was a great dramatic showcase for the particular actor; Sketch of the night, in my opinion.

Kansas 1937- A slopjockey (Gary) will, for pay, jump fully-clothed into a pig sty. Uh, yeah.

Gary along with blues harmonica legend Paul Butterfield and member of The Band, Rick Danko performs a fiery, messy blues rock rendition of "Stay All Night"

Gary still high off his success closes the show out in down home fashion "I hope ya'll enjoyed it." Well, it was good in parts and no so in others, but Gary's energy helped a lot. 7/10
  • I think he did very well. Cause it\'s such an old espoide big time

He did very well singing and dancing in his solo It was like he told the guy excuse me wanna show something and he did. But I think he did a great job that he was the best tap dancer and for speed. When he did tap dance in america. He invited so many friends to dance with him. It was great. And haven\'t seen that show but not on tape either. But one of these times it will be out there and ready to go. So hey there won\'t be another one of him. But Savion Glover does his best to stick around with it