Saturday Night Live

Gerard Butler/Shakira

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Oct 17, 2009 on NBC

• Just Like alot of SNL Episodes with a 1st time host, Good not Great.

3.5
    The Gerard Butler Episode was OK however it contained alot of Predictable or Bad Overused Sketches. The Rock Obama and Game Time were both on The Dwayne Johnson Episode about 7 months ago. The 300 Parody with all of the fighters being gay was not only Obvious but was also unfunny. They did the 1st Installment of What Up With That and hasn't gotten much better since. They did another 2 Gay Guys from New Jersey which nobody outside of New York cares about or Thinks is Funny. As if the show wasn't bad enough, they did a Truna Sketch again and Parodied the Movie "Braveheart" which is over 10 years old and wasn't really funny.
  • The best of the season thus far, but that really isn't saying much.

Cold Open The Rock Obama - It was funny the first time, but outside of Biden's self flagellation, this added nothing new to the character. Grade: C-

Monologue - Singing monologues are usually the worst. This one was slightly rescued by the appearance of the cast members as warriors trying to kill our host. He ably deflects each challenge and continues with his sorry rendition of "The Music of the Night" from Phantom. A kill or at least a debilitating wound would have been greatly appreciated. Grade: C

Fuquay Satin's Grand Hoochie Skank Rose - Kenan typically plays a pimp/player, thug, or a woman. He's in the full-on player mode here with a modestly funny commercial for a$$ champagne. Grade: C

Game Time with Randy and Greg - Recurring sketches only work when they evolve over time. This is almost the exact same sketch as before with the addition of the tail. De-evolution? Grade: B-

Beauty and the Beast - Nice to see an original sketch. Once the a$$ joke was revealed, the sketch was pretty much over. More and more a$$ jokes. Kind of amusing, but also wears out of steam quickly. Everybody did a good job and the costumes were nice, but the writing fizzled. This is the second sketch to feature a$$ jokes. Looks like we have a theme. Grade: B-

Weekend Update - An enjoyable WU and one of the highlights of the night. Unlike some WUs, this one avoided the frequent leaden jokes and interminably bad guests. The cameo by the balloon was a nice touch. Bill and Fred reprise their gay guys from NJ with some suggestive and woefully inappropriate jokes. Ha! Wiig's character, Tamara, who suffers from spontaneous orgasms kept the craziness going. Grade: A-

300 - Political commentary disguised as silly gay humor. The "Don't ask, don't tell" policy is getting some attention again and this sketch astutely pointed out that sexual preference is irrelevant when that soldier is willing to die to protect you and me. The only problem is that 40% of Sparta is still uncomfortable with the idea. Good job of pointing out the tragic irony of narrow-minded citizens wishing to restrict the freedoms of those who make THEIR free lifestyle possible. Loved the costumes and the acting too. Grade: A (P.S. - Another theme emerges: gay with this episode turning out to be the gayest since Paul Rudd). What's Up With That? - Very reminiscent of the High IQ sketch from last season's Tracy Morgan episode. This sketch was nothing more than an excuse to give Kenan (in player mode) a chance to sing and the cast a chance to bust out some dance moves. Sudeikis had some nice moves, but not enough to carry this sketch. Grade: C- (P.S. - This sketch carried on the a$$ theme with Butler's remark to Abby).

Trina at the Ad Agency - The horrible character from last season's Steve Martin episode makes an unwelcome reappearance. Not much to say about it, other than, like Gilly, this sketch/character relies on annoying repetition to generate laughs. Unfortunately, this doesn't work well in either sketch. One for the trash bins. Grade: F

Daveheart - Another episodic theme emerges: Butler as the leader of an army. Unlike the 300 sketch, this one had nothing relevant or even particularly funny to say. A weak parody of Braveheart thrown together only because Butler is Scottish. Unlike his brother William, Dave is a complete coward who recoils at the mere sight of a goat. OK sketch for the time slot. The best line was the last when the announcer said in a hesitating and questioning manner: "Buy it now?" Grade: C
  • Unlike 300, Gerard Butler does not die out there.

Very enjoyable installment of SNL. I apologize for not being able to write up a scene by scene analysis, but time is not on my side.

Gerard Butler was funny as himself, and when he played the straight man and as the clown. He succeeded in just about every sketch out there, as opposed to Megan Fox or Drew Barrymore.

Kenan Thompson got a lot of time tonight and was funny, and Bill Hader continues to be great. He just might be the best cast member on the show right now, something I did not expect to say a year ago.
  • Actually pretty good. Lots of Kenan and Bill in this one. Gerard does well as host.

Just a quickie. Long-time fan, first time reviewer. But I just had to comment, because I really thought it was actually a pretty good episode yesterday. Strong Weekend Update!

The Rock Obama: almost an exact copy of the last segment, but it was still pretty good. I actually thought this was a repeat at first, but then I got the hint that it was a new segment. Doesn't look like it was performed live (looks like it was taped in advance) which I didn't like, so wondering why they used this first. C+

Monologue: Actually pretty good! Nice duet with Kristin. A-

Game Time with Randy and Greg: Felt a bit short? And although it was okay, I didn't find it that funny. B-

Beauty and the Beast: Definitely funniest sketch of the night. A+

Musical Performance: Shakira - "She Wolf". Weekend Update: Totally agree with the previous post: "The jokes were much revived tonight compared to last week's bland Update. The Gay Guys weren't that funny, like usual. Gerard's translation was pretty funny, and Kristen's commentary killed. That was probably one of the funniest moments of the night." Totally loved THE BALLOON bit. Actually going to give it an A overall.

300 Don't Ask, Don't Tell: Okay overall, not bad. B-

What Up With That: Pretty good. Liked how Kenan kept breaking into song. Certainly pretty original. White Pete was funny (Gerard). And then Kristin also came in. I'd give it a B- Cottage Cheese: Slightly annoying. It was okay, but wow. Another one of those interrupting people sketches. C+

Musical Performance: Shakira - "Did It Again"

Daveheart: Again, wasn't that bad, but only somewhat amusing. B- Overall, the episode was pretty good. I mean definitely not perfect, but it was actually pretty funny. I found myself laughing a bit more than usual. Gerard has impeccable timing and really put in a lot of time/work to host this episode. I thought he was a really great host because of the way he played all his parts and how he brought a lot of enthusiasm. I guess Andy Sandberg is away? I missed not seeing another "Digital Short". Can't wait for Taylor Swift and the comedy that must ensue!
  • Thank you for coming.

Week 4 out of 4. The past two 4th consecutive episodes (Hill/Carey & Hathaway/Killers) both showed no sign of cast fatigue, so I'm wondering if we'll be alright tonight.

Our host tonight is Gerard Butler, who is one of the first Scotsman to host, and our musical guest is Shakira.

The Rock Obama: I kind of saw this coming, right when Fred was getting angry, but I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't be what it was. Dwayne Johnson is awesome, but I knew that this sketch would be a carbon copy, and in many ways, it was. Jenny looked almost exactly like Olympia Snowe by the way, and there was some creative new stuff, but it was mostly a copy.

Monologue: Gerard demonstrates trying to be mellow and dramatic, but gets ruined by action cliches. This was actually really funny, but it was puzzling to me why they applauded for Kristen.

Game Time with Randy and Greg: I find this interesting on how they used The Rock's sketch when the Rock was here, yet they didn't use him in the sketch. But, they probably didn't want to take the thunder away from Gerard. This was okay, but it was still another carbon copy, except for the end, which I laughed at.

Beauty and the Beast: This was probably the funniest sketch of the night. Gerard's performance in this was great.

Musical Performance: Shakira peforms "She Wolf" which was actually a good performance, with a little sexual spice, eh?

Weekend Update: The jokes were much revived tonight compared to last week's bland Update. The Gay Guys weren't that funny, like usual. Gerard's translation was pretty funny, and Kristen's commentary killed. That was probably one of the funniest moments of the night.

300 Don't Ask, Don't Tell: This was a pretty funny sketch, and Bobby made me laugh with him unexpectantly coming out at the end.

What Up With That: This sketch was so simple, and so silly, that it was really enjoyable, and I don't say that about many Kenan sketches. The choke up with "biologist" was really funny.

Cottage Cheese: Oh my god, this character again. It made me chuckle here and there, but yeah, it was annoying.

Musical Performance: Shakira performs "Did It Again" which was an interestingly good performance.

Daveheart: This was a decent enough sketch, but definitely a 12:55 sketch.

Tonight's show as an improvement from last week's very average show, and Gerard was a really great host, who demonstrated a lot of versatility. Shakira was an adequate musical guest, but I'm not that into her music.

Well, the cast can finally take a break. They deserve it. This past month of broadcasts were interesting, and the cast held up pretty well. They hit some inconsistencies on the way, but overall, this was a pretty decent run of episodes.

In 3 weeks: Taylor Swift hosts and performs.

Next week: A broadcast of the Megan Fox episode... yawn... and in two weeks: A broadcast of the Ryan Reynolds episode. I may rewatch it.
  • The one with the balloon

Saturday Night Live,
    Gerard Butler/Shakira, - Tonights host is Gerard Butler the scottish star who starred in 300 and many other movies. The musical guest is Shakira this is her third time on the show. What i was planning on seeing in this episode was a bad 300 sketch and alot of crap about the boy in the plastic hot air ballon that ran wild in the news this week. (HOAX) Also tonight the show will only have one sponser, Bud Light. I wasnt to sure about this, considering the Pepsi fail from last season. With bud light paying for ad time we get to see some dress rehearsal moments that we would never seen. The moon is lighting. Lets begin

Cold Opening: Another sketch where Obama gets angry and turns into "The Rock Obama". With surprise guest Dwayne Johnson. This time however this is not a dream and Obama actually throws republicans out the window. Except for Olympia Snowe, who may or may not side with Obama on his health care thing. She flees before being thrown out the window and that's when Joe Biden comes in and puts his foot in his mouth and throws himself through the wall. This was alright not the best and not better than last season. Monologue: Butler goes on about his soft side while being attacked by ninjas and one angry chick. I'd pass on this.

Fuquay Satin's Grand Hoochie Skank Rose - Kenan as a guy selling "adult" drinks that get poured down a womens butt. I thought this was funny, this wont please everybody but it's sure worth a watch.

Game Time: Kenan and the Alien to be Greg appear. Reminds me of last season from the Dwayne Johnson episode doing the same thing almost. For some reason this was funnier and much better. I cant really explain but it's sure worth a watch.

Beauty and the Beast: Wiig and Butler as the beauty and the beast. However Butler thinks he is the beast, Wiig gets angry and flees the a$$ castle. This was probably the best sketch of the night. Funny and sure worth a revist.

Musical Performance 1: Shakira performs "She Wolf". A beat filled song that didnt really impress me. Her back up singer did most of the singing as Shakira played on the ground.

Weekend Update: The best WU with Seth, all the jokes were on top, and helped get rid of the those update special nightmares. Seth is visited by the gays from New Jersey, the balloon from Chicago and Tamara who gets it on. Best line: "Thanks for Coming" watch the whole thing.

300 - This was the sketch i was worried about, a bad 300 sketch. However, i was surprised to know that this sketch actually turned out to be very funny. The Army for Sparta actually turns out to be all gay after the Dont Ask policy was disbanned. Worth a watch.

What's Up With That? - BET presents a show about something i really never founds out about. The guest are Abby, Bill and the real James Franco. (With no lines) I was planning on seeing a bad Kenan sketch that went no where. The sketch went no where but it was still great. I cant explain it but Kenan just keeps singing while people run on and off stage. The audience really seemed to enjoy this. Worth a watch.

Trina at the Ad Agency - The worst sketch of the night, still some how delivered laughs. Wiig as Trina, last seen in the bad Steve Martin episode, returns. We found out she was struck by lighting and cant tell the different between a donut and a mouce. For some reason i am going to tell you to watch this. It's isnt the strongest, it's either you hate it our you like it. There is no inbetween.

Musical Performance 2: Shakira performs "Did It Again". While She Worf was interesting this song kinda bored me.

Dave Heart - The dishonored hero from Scotland, Dave Heart. Butler plays the hero who is scarred of goats and pissed himself to death. This was the last sketch and yet it was very funny. Worth a watch.

Budlight treated us to a sketch from 1998, where Ana, Tim, Darrell and Will ride Donkeys and fail at it. The next one is from Chris Rock's 1996 episode where he and Tim break character. The next one is from a casino sketch from 1993, where the host cant stop laughing. The next one is from one of the Scared Straight sketch were Kenan gets Bill to break character. And the last one is from Amy and Seth's WU time. While the so called hosting parties were held across the nation. New York, Chicago, LA and i think some where else. To bad they didnt come to Boston :(

Overall i thought the episode was great. The sketchs kept me laughing from start to finish. There was some weak stuff in their but the good stuff trumped it. Butler really impressed me here and i wouldnt mind to see him host again. Shakira was alright i didnt like her songs very much but i still think she is a good singer. In two weeks we have Taylor Swift doing double duty. Stay tuned
  • Geron-a-Joe

"300" star and proud Scotsman Gerard Butler hosts and hip giggling Latin pop diva Shakira performs. Also, this episode features an odd sponsorship with Budweiser, which I'll mention throughout the review.

Cold Open- the Rock Obama- During a meeting with various senators (Bill, Will, Nasim), a stressed out President Obama (Fred) transforms into a Incredible Hulk-style figure (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson) and proceeds to frighten and throw out the window said senators, then is comforted by Vice President Biden (Jason). I enjoyed this last March and am glad they brought Dwayne back to do this.

Monologue- Gerard sings while fighting off various medieval invaders, including another singer (Kristin) who turns out to be an invader. Good to the have most of the cast involved again and it was funny too.

Fuquay Satin's Grand Hoochie Skank Rose- In a night club, a pimp-like character (Kenan) hawks champagne that can be, among other things, poured on women's backsides. Short and blunt, good stuff.

Miscellaneous: Jason announces the SNL/Budweiser partnership that will bring an old dress rehearsal clip from various old shows. First up, from February 1998, a dress rehearsal of the Riding My Donkey political talk show. I hadn't seen that sketch in a long time and it still looks fresh.

Game Time with Randy and Greg- Filling in for Dave, Randy Cunningham (Kenan) tries desperately to keep the topic on sports rather than his obviously alien co-host Greg (Bill). This is my favorite recurring sketch in quite sometime and I'm glad they brought it back; nice touch on the tail and steam.

Miscellaneous: SNL/Budweiser brings a dress rehearsal clip from November 1996, Chris Rock and Tim Meadows on the graveyard shift, little watched talk show, Perspectives, with host Lionel Osborne. Rock can barely keep it together during the sketch. I haven't seen this in quite some time. Beauty and the Beast- Belle (Kristin) and the Beast (Gerard) dance, before the beast, the clock (Bobby), and the candle (Bill) confuse Belle for the beast and disparage her. It was okay, but at least the teapot's happy.

Miscellaneous: SNL/Budweiser brings a dress rehearsal clip from a sketch called Casino from the January 1993 Harvey Keitel episode. Harvey can barely hold his composure the while performing. I haven't seen this particular episode, but the sketch looks good.

Shakira performs the 80s-esque groove of "She-Wolf"; Sweet keytar grooves

Miscellaneous: SNL/Budweiser brings another dress rehearsal clip, this time from May 2008. Scared Straight with Bill barely controlling himself as Kenan lightly taps his face.

Weekend Update- Two guys from New Jersey who are in the military (Fred, Bill) skirt their sexual orientation while discussing "Don't Ask Don't Tell" (Seth makes a slip and calls them the Two gay guys from New Jersey, which is who they are as they have appeared before); the bizarre balloon from Colorado annoys Seth at the desk; Gerard speaks with family back home in Scotland with "translations" from Seth that turn out not to be ; Tamara Parks (Kristin) experiences frequent orgasms from being touched to feeling the subway passing beneath the building. Seth's strongest Update this season.

Miscellaneous: SNL/Bu……you get the idea…dress rehearsal Updates from September 2007 to September 2009 are profiled with Seth and Amy flubbing jokes much to audience delight.

300 – In a spoof the movie, King Leonidas (Gerard) proposes ending the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy in his military only to find that all his men are gay Good use of the topical theme. Miscellaneous: a dress rehearsal from 2001 features then Will & Grace star Sean Hayes and infamous giggling former cast member Jimmy Fallon yucking it up over the silly sketch antics of then cast member Will Ferrell and his tiny phone. A recurring sketch was born.

What's Up With That?- On Black Entertainment Television, a bizarre talk show stuck in 1987 features a host (Kenan) whose guests sit in befuddlement as he sings the show's theme song in endless loop and his crew busts a move at random. Though, the James Franco cameo and the rest of the guests were unneeded as they added nothing, the cast looked like they had a lot of fun here and therefore, I enjoyed it as well. Miscellaneous: a dress rehearsal sketch from November 1995 features a Robot at a diner unable to break through a wall. On the bright side, no elderly person's medicine was harmed. Trina at the Ad Office – While an ad executive (Gerard) pitches ideas about cottage cheese, his secretary (Kristin) continues to interrupt with various nonsensical problems. This one-note character should've never made its return after last season's Steve Martin broadcast.

Shakira performs more '80s rhythms with "Did It Again" Daveheart- In a retelling of Braveheart, the protagonist (Gerard) cowardly flees conflict and is frightened by a lamb; very good 5-to-1 sketch and a good close to the evening.

Gerard Butler proves to be a good host and only one clunker out of all the sketches tonight. Also, while it was nice to see old sketches cut after dress rehearsal, let's hope this partnership with Budweiser including the lame SNL watch parties (just an excuse to get people to come drink Budweiser) comes to an end. In fact, let's pretend the promotion never had, 'kay.

7.5/10