Saturday Night Live

Hugh Laurie/Beck

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Oct 28, 2006 on NBC

• "Home of the Jew," Land of the B-R-A-V-E

A Review by "HelloStuart," Amateur Critic and Curmudgeonly Medical Genius

As I start this review, I’m openly wondering "what the hell is happening here?" I certainly don’t want to panic myself, but when was the last time a season of SNL started this slowly? I can probably count the number of purely funny sketches on one hand. So far, the writing has been mediocre but not from the same ailment of years past; where the last few seasons were dogged by repetition and a stream of forgettable, grating recurring characters, the first three episodes of the post-Fey era has been hounded by a heap of unfinished ideas and too many simplistic premises. Amusing? Intermittently. Funny? Hardly. The level of dryness I’ve seen this season could be likened to the concept-heavy sketches of the Murphy-Piscopo-Ebersol era. Maybe I’m nitpicking too soon in the season, but when TV Guide and Time magazine both use the word “moribund” to describe SNL’s current condition, ears tend to perk up.

This week’s host is Hugh Laurie, the respected British improvisational actor and star of the popular medical series “House.” The musical guest is Beck, who is making his sixth appearance on SNL. Combined, they make for the most intriguing match-up for a live broadcast in quite some time; being a fan of both Laurie and Beck will make this hard for me to critique the show in a fair manner (a situation my fellow amateur critics have had to deal with many times before), but at least there’s the hope that this might spice things up.

And now, the sketch-by-sketch analysis:

COLD OPENING: Lorne addresses the ongoing network budget cuts, chugs down a little brandy, and then introduces a “campaign commercial” from the Kazakhstan Ministry of Information. It turns out to be a shameless (though very funny) plug for that Borat movie that’s coming out next weekend. Has enough time gone by now that repeatedly saying “Schwing!” has made the transition from cliché to ironic? I’d argue for it.

MONOLOGUE: The man formerly known as Wooster calls the audience “Sweet Cheeks,” recites a poem that successfully proves he’s a nice guy, and briefly explains the key points of British comedy. When you think about it, his charisma alone made this the best monologue so far this season.

“Most Haunted”: A spoof of the popular Travel Channel documentary series finds a team of paranormal experts (FA, BH, AP) analyzing and obsessing over the sound of their superior (Hugh) farting. This sketch comes to prove that if executed properly, even the most sophomoric of premises can work.

SMIGELTOON: President Bush addresses the ongoing onslaught of attack ads that all prominently feature Osama Bin Laden, and then use crude tactics that express the homophobic, obsolescent Republican agenda. Granted, this was mean-spirited, but I’m sad to say that this didn’t exactly exaggerate from how localized smear campaigns function.

“2006 World Series”: Joe Buck (JS) and Tim McCarver (BH) introduce the winner of a local anthem-singing contest (MR), who turns out to be a complete poseur. Another one-joke sketch, though points to Maya for belting it out.

“The Queen’s Visit”: An assistant for Queen Elizabeth II (Hugh) makes a list of strange demands for the Waldorf-Astoria concierge (KW) for her pending visit to NYC, complete with rubber sheets, miniature furniture, and hooks in the ceiling. Well, at least we have that British humor Hugh promised. Moving on…

“Hardball”: Tonight on Chris Matthews’ (DH) cable shout-fest, GOP party gadfly Ken Mehlman (AS) denies his friendship with a congressman that turned out to be the “TCBY Killer” (don’t ask), then plugs his replacement on the ballot, John Wayne Gacy Jr. Later on, DNC chairman Howard Dean (JS) belittles Mehlman and mouths off like the stereotypical crazed left-winger that Republicans loathe. In 20-odd appearances on the show, “Hardball” has made a decent effort to never do the same thing twice; this time, however, the output seemed very blah, as if it denied itself some way to lure the audience in.

“Hugh’s Protest Song”: Key social and political aspects are mumbled as Hugh rambles though a Dylan-esque folk number. I took pleasure in this bit for several reasons; for one, it’s been ages since there’s been a standup performance outside of the monologue; secondly, it reminded me of Hugh’s various musical interludes on “A Bit of Fry and Laurie”; and most importantly, his comic timing was astonishingly proficient.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: Percussion runs rampant in the groovy single “Nausea.” Dig those crazy marionettes!

WEEKEND UPDATE: I’m probably not the first to say that Amy and Seth are finally gelling, but compared to past segments this was the least awkward one yet. Tim Calhoun’s (WF) stump speech was another ace-in-the-hole from one of SNL’s few consistently funny characters, but a commentary from a same-sex couple from Jersey (FA, BH) served only to enforce the same tired Italian-American stereotypes that people stopped laughing at years ago.

“Broken Leg”: Another sketch with an epilogue? That’s the type of repetition that bugs the living hell out of me. This sort of laziness ruins even middling sketches like this, which features Kenan as a paranoid hospital patient and Hugh as his trans-gendered wife.

“The Curse of Frankenstein”: A certain monster (BH) nearly fools a mob of angry villagers into thinking he’s not the object of their fear and hatred. A rare moment in the spotlight for Bill proved to be quite heady; his banter with the fire-obsessed horde (led by Hugh) may or may not have had several parallels to the Middle-American value system, but the pending election has obviously made me way too burnt out on the subject.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: I haven’t a clue what that song was called, but hot damn, that was funky! It’s a shame that turkey went to waste, though.

“Job Interview”: Two Connecticut-based lawyers (Hugh, FA) keep incorporating “woo!” sounds into their banter while sizing up a potential paralegal (AP) in a typical one-joke sketch that ran longer than it had to.

I don’t know why this keeps happening- every time it seems like I doubt myself, the show roars back with an above-average broadcast. Given how the first hour normally outweighs the last thirty minutes, this was with little doubt in my mind the strongest broadcast thus far this season. I wanted to demonstrate parity, but I couldn’t get past the fact that I really enjoyed some of the sketches, especially the Borat cold opening, "The Queen’s Visit," and the protest song. Heck, for once even the political satire clicked. I’ve come to the conclusion that SNL isn’t in a slump, it’s just very bipolar.

Sketches/segments that will probably be removed in repeats: the gay marriage commentary on WU, “Hardball,” “Broken Leg,” and “Job Interview.”

In two weeks: Super-host Alec Baldwin makes it a baker’s dozen, with musical guest Christina Aguilera making her fourth appearance on the show.

Contact "HelloStuart" at sma17kc@netscape.net. He appreciates all feedback.
  • A shout out to Borat, Hugh Laurie, Amy Poehler and Will Forte!

Borat opened. I love this character, laughed hard as hell! The show would be worth watching just cause of this sketch, I'd say.

Hugh Laurie is brilliant as usual. He was particurlarly hilarious in a bit where he played the guitar and sang. A lot of times he sang "all we need to do..." and then mumbled something you couldn't hear.
    The bit where Hugh plays an extremely ugly lady in the hospital was hysterical!

In the office sketch at the end, both Hugh and Fred were really good, and Amy Poehler was terrific.

Will Forte was AWESOME as Tim Calhoun. Just really, really funny.

Musical guest Beck was actually pretty entertaining too.
  • All we need to do is... mmmmmmmm...

Welcome to the third stop in my SNL summer reviews! This week is Hugh Laurie. Hugh is from the famous television show, House M.D. Beck is musical guest.

Okay, here we go!

Borat: Lorne opens the show saying that in conclusion to the NBC budget cuts, SNL has to donate the first 5 minutes to the Kazachstan Ministry. So, Borat comes on. I didn't enjoy this compared to others.

Monologue: After many tries of trying to formerly introduce himself, Hugh Laurie just sticks to the stereotypical English facts. Enjoyable, I guess.

Most Haunted: As 4 freaks try to go discover ghosts, the freak leader cuts a fart, and the other are totally oblivious to the fact that it's a fart. As much as I hate the "farting is funny" thing, thisi cracked me up.

Cartoon: 2006 Mid-Elections Promos: Bush tells us that he will produce less serious promos, and have Halloween festival commercials, but he ends up being scared.

National Anthem: Yes, another Maya singing sketch. But, this time around, it's a good Maya singing sketch. She absolutely butchers the National Anthem. I loved it. I couldn't stop laughing! Many didn't like this, while I favored this.

The Advance Man: The Queen of England's advance man tells a hotel manager what to have prepared for her visit. Some requests are beyond ridiculous. This sketch was one of the favorable sketches of the night.

Hardball: Obnoxious Chris Matthews talks about the mid elections. This was one of the unfavorable sketches of the night.

Protest Song: Hugh Laurie sings about how we can stop all the trouble in the world, but when he gets to the War In Iraq, he just mumbles, since he doesn't know the problem. This was one of the best host performances I've seen.

Weekend Update: Jokes were consistant tonight. The Gay Guys were okay, and Tim Calhoun was enjoyable.

Trust Your Physician: As a man breaks his leg, he does not trust the doctor, while his girlfriend stand up for him. The girlfriend suddenly gets an English accent and tells us to trust our physician. Laurie as a girl was funny.

Late Night Scary Movies: As a crowd of angry people want to lynch Frankenstein, the real Frankenstein tries tricking them into going to Dracula. I enjoyed this sketch.

Ohhhhh!: As a women is applying for a job, two men yell out "ohhhh!" every time they see something good. She tries going along, but they turn her down in offense. Good last sketch.

Music was good, host was good, show was okay. As most sketches were high lights, we had some low lights such as the cold open, and Hardball.

My next summer review will be Jack Black/Neil Young. See ya then!
  • A great combination of Host and musical guest Beck

I am not an avid SNL watcher. Now and then I will turn it on. This episode reminded me of when the scripts where witty, shameless and there was actual impromtu acting.

I hate Most Haunted, and when I saw him doing this spoof, my girlfriend and I just about died laughing so hard. The writers hit it on the head with how the actual TV show investigates the paranormal.

Huge did was absolutely superb in the "Queens Visit" when the glasses were not folding correctly, and he just moved along. Because of this episode, I have now started watching House.
  • A great on point combination of guest star and musical guest that just doesnt often happen anymore

AS i said in the summary this is not a very frequent thing for SNL these days to have the guest host and musical guest do so well, but in this case when they do it really does make it a special standout episode.

Hugh Laurie as usual is excellent and his brand of comedy fit well and differently in the sketches. The writing itself, as usual, was a bit bland but you can tell at least having Hugh Laurie perhaps made them be able to write some interesting stuff for him specifically, and with a little bit of luck (as after all thed cutting you're still not going to have an episode "chock full" of funny sketches).

That simply made it an ok show though, but Hugh Lauries odd single, which was more interesting than funny, but in the end turned out to be rather cool. Coupled this with Becks brilliant music performance though, and thats what made it good.

granted, i dont often pay much mind to the SNL musical acts these days. They still net in some cool artists but they really got to do something that is pretty interesting or perform their face off, and Beck did that, with a truly unique "dinner table percussion" scene that really grabbed me.

So yes, "lucky" writing, Hugh Laurie and Beck really made this as fine episode.....for once.
  • Definitely THE best episode in a long time! Actually very entertaining.

With the Brilliant Hugh Laurie hosting, i actually laughed out loud! As a former fan of Saturday Night Live, i find it getting worse each season. Alot of my fav's are gone, and the writing seems to lack...well..evrything. But when i watched Hugh Laurie host i was most impressed. He was sooo funny! Totally loved "Haunted" and the "Protest Song"
    (All we gotta do is...mummmmbble) Just an all around great episode. I believe though that Saturday Night Live is not completely to blame for the sometimes crappy shows. The show in my opinion is only as good as it's host. And Hugh Laurie served as one of the best hosts of all.
  • Saturday Night Live has been very mediocre this season (at best) but this episode is the peak of season 32 so far. With the hilarious Hugh Laurie, the brilliant Beck and even Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) opening. Very NICE!

The opening skit, with Borat hilariously promoting his movie, that turned out to be great, (I love your leader George Walter Bush, and his father Barbara!) alone would make this episode the best so far of season 32. Hugh Laurie had a very funny monologue was in several funny skits (my favorite being the Queen's assistant at the hotel.) Beck also did a great job, performing songs from his latest album, the great The Information. The episode also did a good job of tying in the Halloween theme, such as the Most Haunted episode goof, and the Frankenstein/ Dracula skit. The only SNL show this season to come close is the always dependable Alec Baldwin one.
  • Schwing!

Cold Opening: Who knew Lorne Michaels being served a sandwich could be so exciting? Budget cuts forced the man in charge to sell the first 5 minutes of the show to a foreign government which resulted in the first funny cold open of the season as Sacha Baron Cohen dropped by to plug \\\"Borat\\\". Monolouge: Laurie uses a poem to explain that he is nothing like his altar ego before preparing us for the British \\\"humour\\\" we\\\'ll be seeing tonight.

\\\"Most Haunted\\\": A spoof on the TV show finds a group of paranormal investigators (AP, FA, BH) obssessing over the fart of their leader (Laurie), which they think to to be a message of a spirit haunting some old castle. Not my type of humour and way too long to be funny. Smigletoon: President Bush urges the public to vote Republican in the upcoming election and addresses the somewhat questionable content of RNC funded campaign ads. A bit too true to life to be funny. \\\"2006 World Series\\\": Sigh, memories of my beloved Tigers and their championship colapse. Joe Buck (JS) and Tim McCarver (BH) (whom I personally cannot stand) watch as an Anthem Idol winner (MR) butchers the song. And the point was?

\\\"The Queen\\\'s Visit\\\": One of the Queen\\\'s assistants (Laurie) arrives a day early to assist the concierage (KW) at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in preparing for her majesty\\\'s impending arrival. Not laugh out loud funny but it had its moments.

\\\"Hardball\\\": Chris Matthews (DH) grills Ken Mehlman (AS) on the chances of the Republicans maintaing control of Congress while questioning his relationship with the \\\"TCBY Strangler\\\". Howard Dean (JS) joins the broadcast to promote the Democratic agenda while challenging Mehlman to a fight. Not the best Hardball I\\\'ve seen but there have been worse outings. \\\"Hugh\\\'s Protest Song\\\": Laurie provides pretty relevant commentary on several political and social issues while mumbling through his answers to the problems in this pretty funny song.

Musical Performance: Beck performs \\\"Nausea\\\" and I hit ff. The marionettes were kinda cool though.

Weekend Update: Another good outing by Amy and Seth with a hilarious appearance by one of my favorite recurring characters, Tim Calhoun (WF). The gay couple from Jersey (FA, BH) commentary brought the segment down a bit. \\\"Broken Leg\\\": Kenan ruins another sketch although there wasn\\\'t much to ruin to begin with. Laurie plays his wife while the two of them succeed in creeping out the doctor (WF), nurse (MR) and me. Laurie\\\'s epilogue paled in comparison to Jason\\\'s at the end of \\\"Operation Bearshark\\\" from the previous broadcast. \\\"The Curse of Frankenstein\\\": A late night movie finds Laurie leading a fire obssessed mob in their pursuit of Frankenstein (BH). The monster attempts to confuse them in their quest by sending them across the moor to Dracula (JS). It was pretty funny and good to see Bill as the focal point of a sketch for once. Musical Performance: I may not enjoy Beck\\\'s music but the band does know how to put on a good performance as shown with \\\"Clap Hands\\\". \\\"Job Interview\\\": Two lawyers (Laurie, FA) interview a potential employee (AP) and are literally \\\"woooed\\\" by her qualifications and everything else in life it seems. Went longer than it had to and just became annoying.

The show was a step up from the previous broadcast but I don\\\'t think it was as good as others seem to have. Laurie was a great host but the writing and ideas just weren\\\'t there most of the time (not surprising this season).
  • funny

7.8
    It was weird seeing Hugh Laurie on this show, mainly because he is actually british! after only seeing him on House, I almost thought that his English accent was fake. hahaha. my favorite sketch was the one where he was a "woman" and said he didn't want his "partner" to get xrays because they already had trouble trying to get pregnant, when Laurie, didn't even bother to shave his legs or his face! other than that, it's fairly decent, but i seriously hope that the writers improve!
  • Near perfection!

With Hugh Laurie's subtle, different style of comedy, and Beck's eclectic stage performances and original ideas, we've got a classic on our hands. Every skit had pros to it, and Beck's Nausea and Clap Hands was terrific. The dinner table percussion, and the puppets?? AWESOME. The World Series one cracked me up, as well as the Haunted House show, the job interview, and that protest song were some other highlights as well. You gotta love this one, and it's probably gonna go down as one of the best of the season. :)
  • Hugh Laurie was the only reason I watched this episode. He was absolutely brilliant, and even though some of the writing may not have been the best he made it funny anyway.

Hugh\'s introduction was hilarious. He covered that he was from England, and was going to show where it was on a map, but the map that they brought out was a United States map, so he explained that it would be where his lft nipple is.. if he had one.

I loved his protest song. The mumbling was on purpose for all of you who got confused, it wasn\'t a mistake that he made. The mumbling was the comedy part about it because he didn\'t have an answer as to what we should do to resolve a particular issue, but he was acting like he did, so when he got to the answer he mumbled nonsense to make it sound like he had all the answers.Genius.

The hospital sketch was hilarious too, especially towards the end when he said that we should trust doctors, and that some people usually don\'t because they don\'t usually measure up to the rediculously handsome and absolutely brilliant doctors that they might watch on television *ahem*
  • One of the best episodes in a while

The introduction by Lauren Michales was quite funny. As for Borat, I'm not too crazy about him. He has his moments, but they are too few. It's a kind of humor I could do without.
    Hugh Laurie was very good - and he could have been a lot better if he had a better quality material to play with. He is so talented, The episode was better then most in a while now, but this doesn't mean the writers don't have to start working harder!!! They do! Much, much harder.... Hugh was great on the "protest song" and he is a very fine woman when he puts his mind to it! Too bad he and his husband can't have children....
    Beck's second song was brilliant.
    Seth Myers is getting better, but it's just not there yet.
  • Its hard to judge this one because of season so far has been dismal - this episode being by far the best, but I don't know if its just by comparison.

First off, Hugh Laurie did a great job, and it almost seemed like the writers suddently got better because of his talent - nothing against Reilly from last week but he was the typical cue-card reading host. I liked every sketch Laurie was in, and I say this as someone who doesn't watch 'House.'

The highlight was Beck - the music was great and that second number almost qualified as a sketch, with the puppets and everything.

Sacha 'Borat' Cohen got things off to a good start I thought with some un-pc off-color humor. And as is typical the best sketches were up front with the exception of the 'Queen sketch' which I thought was the best. The last 3 I didn't care so much for, as is typical.

This is the season's highlight so far. I think they can do a lot better but if the rest of the episodes are like this I won't complain.
  • Borat alone makes the Oct 28 show great.

Even though he only had a few paid moments at the beginning of the show, Borat made it worthwhile to tune into the show. Borat is a great man! He has made wonderful reportings and he likes sex! His paid appearance has compelled me to visit Kazakhstan someday. I would like to make sunbathe and play ping pong with the natives there! I like! Rape might be fun too! Why not? I can\\\'t wait to see Borat on November 3. It will make much benefit for glorious nation Kazakhstan. I will bring all of my friends and their childrens. Then we have a big party.
  • Could have been a better episode by far...

6.2
    Hugh Laurie of House fame hosts Saturday Night Live with musical guest, Beck. SNL has had an interesting selection of hosts this season. Next week, it's The Best of Darrell Hammond, the first TBO for a cast member who is still in the cast.

Cold Open - Lorne Michaels (real) comes in to talk about the cuts and sacrifices, yet he drinks anyway. He has sold the first five minutes to a foreign government saying times are tough. Enjoy the paid address by the Kazakhstan ministry of information. Borat (Sascha Baron Cohen) appears and says how they like Saturday Night Live. He promotes Kazakhstan and their culture. Talking about selling kids to Madonna. Live from New York, home of the Jew, it's Sascha Baron Cohen.

Monologue - Hugh Laurie is excited to be hosting the show. He's calling the audience "sweet cheeks." It looks like he is going to start a song...or a lengthy monologue with a musical background. He says he is everything (lithium). He's explaining that English is also a nationality, not just a language. "Overly elaborate puns that may take you days to understand." The forecast calls for rain and sketches served with peas.

Most Haunted - Hugh Laurie is at Chillingham Castle, and is Derek A., a pyschic. Bill Hader (Stuart), Amy Poehler (Yvette), and Fred Armisen (Jon) are in this sketch. Lots of gas being passed in the room on playback of the tape. This sketch is in black and white, by the way. Once the light is turned on, they realize that the noise was Hugh Laurie passing gas. They upset Hugh Laurie with their over-investigation and he leaves.

TV Funhouse (Address from the President) - This is not fun with real audio. It shows a RNC ad. The ads are related to October 31st. Hillary Clinton scared even the president! Al Franken helped write this cartoon.

Wold Series on FOX - Joe Buck is played Jason Sudeikis. Tim McCarver is played by a dark haired Bill Hader. Pamela Bell (Maya) sings the national anthem. She's the Schnuck's National Anthem Winner. Nice to see some love for my St. Louis Cardinals and new Busch Stadium. Buck and McCarver look stunned. We go from the national anthem to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." This sketch, as much as I love the Cards, went down hill very fast.

The Queen's Demands - Hugh Laurie is an assistant to the Queen. The Hotel manager is Kristen Wiig. Hugh Laurie starts listing demands of the Queen. He will not be there when she arrives.

Hardball - Darrell Hammond is Chris Matthews. Joining him is Ken Mehlman (Andy Samberg). Mehlman is not worried about a Democratic takeover, and then starts asking about incumbent senators. Matthews follows up with another poll result. Nevada Rep. Gleen Beasley is the "TCBY" strangler, and shows a picture with him. TCBY means Torture, Cut, Bind, Yolk. They keep showing other pictures, one with Jack Abramoff. John Wayne Gasy, Jr. is his replacement. Howard Dean (Suds) joins in the conversation. Dean says we can't be trusted on defense. Dean says GOP leadership will go down to Guantanomo. Dean wants to fight Mehlman.

Hugh Laurie sings a protest song - He mumbled something which is barely audible.

Beck sings "Nausea"

Weekend Update - Bush no longer using "Stay the Course" on Iraq, he's using think outside the bun. Border fence approved, downside is frisbees. There is now a time table for establishing a time table in Iraq. HRC has said that it's great that Obama is considering running in 2008. London is now the world's undisputed financial capital. Elections. Discussing his campaign is senate candidate Tim Calhoun, running for Senator of America. He's happy with Pluto being a dwarf planet and proposes Jupiter to be a Mexico planet. He does not approve this message. Freshman 15 is closer to 5-7 pounds. Seattle is now Welcome to Metronational/Metronatural (one of the two), formerly drummer wanted. Panama Canal widening is approved. Meth was found in Colorado, hidden in Elmo, who shot them 30 something times. NewScientist showed a new sex study where people had sex while asleep. Shaq botched a raid in Virginia. Vendy Awards for Best Food Court, last place is Mario's Undercooked Chicken. Commenting on Jersey's new law is a couple from Jersey, Bill Hader and Fred Armisen. Britney named her kid. New Jersey ruling was celebrated across the country including St. Louis (shows picture of Yadier and Adam after the Game 5 winner. Something about a bionic dolphin.

Emergency Hospital - Hugh Laurie is in drag. Kenan Thompson has a broken leg. Will Forte is a doctor. Maya comes in, looks like she's the nurse. Kenan refuses to be x-ray'd. Hugh Laurie makes a PSA says that medicine is noble science and that people deny medical care. This is supposed to be a PSA by the American Medical Association.

The Curse of Frankenstein - Frankenstein's monster is Bill Hader. Hugh Laurie is looking for Frankenstein. Hader tells them to go across the moore. They do and find Dracula (Suds). Suds asks them for a description. Back across the moore again. Hader then calls Suds again. Hader says the bolts are from a spinal injury. He says that he's a cobbler. A hand falls off and they stampede Hader.

Beck sings "Clap Hands."

Linder and Balls - Fred Armisen and Hugh Laurie are lawyers. Amy Poehler a person named Rebecca and is applying for a job. She was a legal assistant at a firm in Schaumberg, Illinois. Okay, the "woo" is getting out of hand. Phone rings, noise continues, she's hired and reacts like them. They reconsider the application and ask her to leave.

November 4: The Best of Darrell Hammond
    November 11: Alec Baldwin with Christina Aguilera. I could have sworned Don Pardo said on Monday, November 11th.
  • Hoped for some more better Laurie sketches. Beck was awesome and most of rest was also pretty good.

7.8
    The Opening: Borat was freaking hilarious. Not everybody's taste, but I loved it. 10/10

Hugh Laurie's Introduction: I only know Laurie from "House", but I'm a huge fan of him. I liked his british jokes, but I missed the real punshline. 9/10

Most Haunted Sketch: I'm not the greatest fan of farting jokes, but the acting was terrific and the infrared vision just cracked me up. 8/10

TV Funhouse Cartoon: Nice one, but I think the last one was over the line. 8/10

World Series: Mostly boring. I smiled here and then but nothing special and a little bit to long. 5/10

The Queen: Good one. A laughed at the midget scene. Nice acting by Laurie. 8/10

Hardball: Laughed the whole time. As a german, I don't follow much the politics in the US, but enough to know the basics. "I want a physical fight with you!!" Just great. 10/10

Laurie's Protest Song: Pretty cool at the beginning and the ending, but looses a lot of steam in the middle. 7/10

First music performance: I only know Beck from a "Futurama" Episode, but I must admit, his music is pretty cool. Very wicked style. 8/10

Weekend Update: I nearly wet myself at the Elmo News, because I can't stop thinking of this stupid laughing puppet. Tim Calhoun was just sick. In a good way of course. The rest was nothing special in my eyes. 8/10

Emergency Room: OMG!! Can I ever watch House again without thinking of Laurie dressed as a woman? When I first saw him, I just cracked up for good. Dr. House… you just lost my respect ;) 9/10

Late Night Movie: Some nice lines, but nothing special. The "You're all a bunch of dicks." Line was my favourite in this one. 7/10

Second music performance: Awesome performance. Better then the first one. 9/10

Job Interview: Sorry, but this one was just stupid. Over the line, too long and annoying. 3/10

All in all a pretty solid episode. No killer, but I saw worse.
  • "We are hoping to sell it to your pop star Madonna." Believe me, people will disagree with this review . . . But don't they always.

5.5
    I really was looking forward to the Halloween episode, hoping for scary movie parodies. And I always look forward to SNL for Andy. The truth is, for each skit Andy is in, I add .5 more to the score. Last weeks, well, I pry would have given it a lower score had Andy not been in so much. I have nothing else to say, so I’ll start the review.

HOST:
    This week’s host is British actor Hugh Laurie, who plays House, a doctor, on the FOX show “House.” And that show is one of the 3 actually good shows on that network. He was a pretty good host, funny. His monologue was funny, but dry, and could have been better. Apparently. Hugh is everything. Lithium, he says, is excellent. And according to him, the smart-a*s Brit, the show will be English and we won’t get the jokes till like Wednesday. Maybe that’s why I didn’t think they were funny. He was good himself, the writing is what could have been better. B+

MUSICAL GUEST:
    This week’s musical guest is Beck, who has been on the show 6 times now. His performances were interesting. I don’t get what was up with the puppets. He performed “Nausea” and “One Foot In The Grave.” I fast-forwarded through the first one, but caught the second one. Strange. I don’t like the music, but the performances did catch my eye. C+

SKITS:

Cold Opening: Kazakhstan Ministry of Information – Here’s how it goes. I was taking a shower and got out a lil after 10:30, and heard a voice before I opened the curtain. I step on the rug and here the voice more clearly. It sounded familiar. I comb my hair & head into the living room, and see Borat. Yay! It was so funny. I loved the Madonna reference. “We are hoping to sell it to your pop star Madonna.” This was the best skit of the night. A-

Most Haunted – I’ve watched this show. I keep going, “My apartment ain’t haunted.” This episode wouldn’t have scared me. For it was one long fart joke. It had funny parts, but was mostly dumb. It was okay. B-

TV Funhouse: Republican Attack Ads – These are strange ads by the Republican party to get more of their reps voted for with campaign commercials that all feature Osama and gay marriage and right. Not funny, but dumb. I pry laughed once, as a giggle. C+

2006 World Series – Did this actually happen or something? And Maya’s singing is somewhat like pop star divas of today, with the change in range. It was what I call silly-ish. But at the end, why did she start singing “Take Me Out To The Ball Games?” Maya’s character was good, but the skit seemed like it was the best they could do to make fun of the Series. C+

The Queen’s Visit – The Queen is a normal person with odd demands. She makes our celebs seem normal. She had what seemed to be Howard Hughes request. I do really like the request for the mini-room where she likes to be a giant to unwind. I did like the fact that it is all in France already, or most is. Though what she plans to do with those 2 200lb. men on the hooks in the shower is your guess. Funny. B+

Hardball – Finally! Andy! Hell, he’s balding and looks middle age, but I’ll take him anyway I can get him. My mom said he did look Jewish like that. I liked Howard Dean challenging to a fight. It was okay, somewhat funny. B-

Hugh Protest Song – What did he and that girl do? The muttering messed me up. This was strange, and I didn’t find it funny. C-

Broken Leg – This was weird. No one would turn down help from a hospital. But Hugh in that skirt made me realize that he has nice legs. And it all was a “House” reference, huh? C-

The Curse Of Frankenstein – This was funny. Not the parody I had in mind though. It sounded British. And why can’t the villagers tell the difference between Dracula and Frankenstein? This skit made me ask one question: Was Andy in that mob? B+

Job Interview – This was just annoying. I define this job interview as dumb, weird, and a waste of time. That “Ooooooooh” was idiotic. D+

BEST MOMENT:
    Borat. When I first saw him on Conan, I thought it was a real person. When I learned it was Sacha in a role, I got it. He’s funny.

WORST MOMENT:
    There was like no Andy in the whole show. One skit and he looked older. Where the hell was Andy?!

SURPRISING MOMENT:
    Wasn’t expecting Borat. That was it.

They could have kept this ep. It could have improved. How? More Samberg!

According to Don, next new ep is Alec Baldwin/ Christina Aguilera on "Monday, Nov. 11, 2006." He meant Saturday. I’m looking forward to Xtina being on. She is now my fav musical guest of the season. I like her songs better than any other guest that’s been on so far. My guess is she performs “Ain’t No Other Man” and “Hurt.” I saw the vid for Hurt and well, it bothered me. I have “Daddy” issues, as they are called. If you see the vid, you’ll know what I mean. See ya then!
  • UGH!!!! Not very good

5.3
    The opening with Borat was funny but it was stuff he has already done. That said, it was the best opening of the season so far. Hugh Laurie is a acclaimed actor and he should be great on SNL but guess what, the writing stinks and the show is limping along. The Cartoon was funny as always "Who wants condoms and Abortion Pills!". The queen sketch was just stupid, Hardball was a standard funny, the ER thing was so poorly written that it made me wretch, the Frankenstein skit was funny but ended with bad writing and the job interview was almost funny.
    Seth Meyers ruined Weekend Update again with his smarmy unfunny delivery although he did get his second laugh of the season. 2 Laughs in 4 episodes, time to call Horatio back(yes, that's how bad Seth does). Also it's time to retire Will's Calhoun Politician skit, that was terrible.
    Beck was fantastic as always, the little puppet show emulating the band was a nice touch and the table performance was just pure genius. This show was the best so far of the new season and that alone tells the current state of SNL this season. Watched MadTV just after this, 50 times better
  • Who wants Abortion Pills and Condoms!

This was a hillarious episode hosted by Hugh Laurie currently starring in "House", and the Musical Guest was Beck promoting something. Also we got a little guest apperence from Mr. Borat plugging his new movie and Kakistans aqquisition of 5 minutes from SNL. Lets get on with it. COLD OPEN: Starting out with richmiester Lorne Miachels talking about budget cuts at NBC whilst drinking scotch and eating a sandwich, discussing how Kakistan had bought 5 minutes of SNL and then going to Borat [Sasha is a genius] and doing a hillarious bit on pubes, jews, and his kid and his wife. My favorite bit of the night.

Hugh Laurie's Monologue: Hugh was hillarious and since I am the educated viewer unlike most I can get the great limey humor in this Monolouge. Great job!

Most Haunted: A great parody of how imbecelic these ghost hunters are, not getting that Hugh ripped one. The Infared fart and slow motion fart was hillarious and then heraing the ghost saying "Julian" and them not getting it cracked me up. Besides the fact that they thought a frat was the ghost.

TV Funhouse: Presidential Campaign Ads: As always Smigeltoons are hillarious and this time it parodyed my Republican Party's "scare tatics", the Hillary Clinton ad was my favorite of them. And Bush cowering under the desk made me laugh.

World Series 2006: God... this got annoying because I was expecting a BASEBALL skit not Maya's rapeing of my ear's.

Queens Requests: This one cracked me up to since it was just so stupid it was funny. Hugh was hillarious in his comments about the screwed up Queen of England... AH OOGAH!

Hardball: Hardball is one of my favorite Skits and there was some balanced bashing of the Republicans and the Democrats and how they will let the terrorists go, raise taxes for everyone, put some of us into Guantanamo and just make our defense softer than Liberachie thumbin through a Playboy [can I say that?]. But we got it too with all of the Scandals and how EVERYONE hates Republicans, loved the Poll numbers.

"Protest Song": I loved this one, Hugh did a great job on the Guitar and he sang quite well. But I will leave his mumbling open for your interperation.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: No comment

Weekend Update: Gay couple ran a bit to long for me, there were the usual short jokes that seem to have a slight lack of thought, and Will Forte played his usual crazy man with Rick Chalhoun. But that was the best part. "I am an avid reader of Child Pornogrophy... reports". Some flaws but otherwise a good WU

Emergency Room: Unlike John C Rileys one Hugh's preformance was funny in this paranoia skit starring Kenan as a feal filled Dale Gribble wannabee. And SNL is also having more of people talking into the camera Surreally now. The Waterbottle skit, Bear Shark and this one. 8

Late Night Movie: This was a bit annoying but I did laugh a cuple times, did remind me of how terrible some old horror movies are which might of been what they were going for.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: No comment

Annoying Job Interview: ... This was bad. They followed the "Sideshow Bob on Rake" school of comedy going for "keep going untill it stops being funny, then keep going and it will get funny again", but that stopped a long time ago.