Saturday Night Live

Hugh Laurie/Kanye West

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Dec 13, 2008 on NBC

• Pretty lackluster episode, but Amy Poehler was actually funny for a change.

Hugh Laurie returned to host SNL again. Why? Who knows as his first gig was not exactly memorable. I'm not a House fan and I find Laurie's work to be extremely overrated, but I tried to be entertained by this episode. I gave it a shot, but he just didn't deliver. He didn't appear to be reading off cue cards like some past guests but his lines weren't exactly funny either.

Hell as frozen over though as I actually laughed at numerous Amy Poehler lines during the Bronx Beat and Weekend Update sketches. Seth Meyers had some good news bits as well regarding nobody calling sharing appetizers "nontrees" and calling in gay to work. I'm willing to give Amy's new sitcom a shot, but I have a feeling this was just a fluke thing and not the start of a comedic turnaround.

I am not a fan of Kanye West's music, but he does put on an entertaining, well produced show. He had visuals and lighting to go along with his performance, a rarity for SNL.

Overall this was just not a good way to close out the year. Anne Hathaway and James Franco were really the only memorable hosts thus far. Hopefully things will get better in 2009.