Saturday Night Live

Jaime Pressly/Corinne Bailey Rae

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Oct 07, 2006 on NBC

6.6
  • Man, I think this episode needs a friend right now. [puts on Ku Klux hat]

Now, since we've pretty much reached a summer hiatus, I decided I'd do a periodical review over episodes from last season. So, here's my first edition.

Now, the beginning of season 32 was both exciting, yet awkward. Many mediocre, and fair episodes were produced, and the cast seemed to take a while to come together. Jaime Pressley, My Name is Earl/model hosts this episode with musical guest, Corinne Bailey Rae.

A message from Dennis Hastert: Speaker of the house, Dennis Hastert, talks to us about the then-recent Mark Foley scandal. Now, season 32 had many uneven cold openings. This was one of them. Even though there were a few good lines, the whole sketch itself seemed to stretched out, saying the fact that Mark Foley was doing more business than he should have.

Monologue: Jaime Pressley wasn't expecting to be made fun of due to her southern accent/stereotyped lifestyle. The whole cast (sans Seth)tries doing a sketch without her permission. This was very well written. The Ku Klux Klan joke with Fred and Kenan was great, along with Amy's impression of Minnie Pearl.

Nancy Grace: Even though most of the writing in this episode was mediocre, it was the start of one of Amy's favorable iimpressions of season 32, Nancy Grace. Once again, many good one-liners, but no cigar.

New York Stories (I): Martin Scorsee and Rosie Perez tell stories about their experiances in New York. I thought the impressions were enjoyable.

Jon Bovi: This sketch could be tied of the worst sketch of the night. The one premise sketch of "We are not copying Bon Jovi" moved on throughout the whole thing. Jaime was also unenjoyable in this sketch.

WVIR News: Kristen Wiig's bicurious newscaster tries to flirt with winner of the hands on a hard body contest, for a free Toyota. I thought this had it's shining moments.

New York Stories (II): Lou Reed and Patti Smith talk about New York. They talk about how all the good clubs have closed down. This was probably my favorite of the 3.

St. Ambrose School: When a girl is in trouble for starting to dance in school, her step mom, Virginica Hastings tries to stand up for her. She gets flirtatious with the principal. Average sketch, really.

Weekend Update: The jokes were mostly enjoyable in this edition, but Peter O'Toole's visit was not. Fugly Betsey was silly to watch.

Nascarettes: When girls decide to put a dance skit in the middle of the NASCAR race track, they get ran over. It's basically a one premise sketch. But, this wasn't the other worst sketch of the night I was talking about.

New York Stories (III): Fran Lebowitz and Yoko Ono talk about how annoying New York is, especially with tourists. This was my least favorite out of the three.

Big Wigs: A very wierd sketch, to say the least. It was also very short. It was a good premise, with bad writing, and could have been better.

Kuatos: This was bad. It was just bad. Especially when Arnold gave his monologue at the end. This was the second out of the worst sketches of the night.

Porch Talk: Two women talk about inappropiote things, such as liking their farts, or peeing in the tea. I thought this had it's bright lights.
    A Moment with an out of breath jogger from 1982: I never liked this sketch premise. That's it. He talks about current events while out of breath.

Overall, a pretty mediocre episode. Technical glitches were everywhere, but the writing was just off. This was a good example of how awkward season 32 SNL could get.

Many thought it was because Tina left, so Seth couldn't handle it. But, the truth is, it was just adjusting time. When Tina was writer, 2003-2004 and 2004-2005 weren't up to par seasons. It doesn't matter who head writer is. It's just the chemistry. The musical guest provided good music, and the host, Jaime Pressly was just mediocre. Like many hosts before, and after her, her cue card reading was a huge noticeable flaw.

My next summer review (which doesn't count the upcoming episode, Steve Carell/Usher) will be John C. Reilly/My Chemical Romance. I'm not going in season order, that's just the next episode I want to grade.