Saturday Night Live

Joseph Gordon Levitt/Dave Matthews Band

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Nov 21, 2009 on NBC

7.9
  • Joseph Gordon Leavitt hosts

For an actor who's so talented and hilarious, this was a pretty disappointing episode. As usual, I didn't necessarily have a problem with Joseph Gordon Leavitt himself. He did great with what he was given. But the problem is that the writers give him (along with most of the hosts) such bad material to go along with. I thought he was hilarious as Jason Mraz in "The Mellow Show," and Dave Matthews did a pretty good job as Ozzy Ozbourne here as well.

However, in skits like "Secret Word" and that show where the producer answers questions for the women, he was given nothing to do while the stars of the show overwhelmed him. It's really too bad, because he was hilarious in the moments that he was given. And I'm pretty sure in repeats, this skit is cut now, but the one where the country singers sing songs about spaceships and T-Models was hilarious... it may not have been everybody's cup of tea, but it left me in stitches.

But that's the way the show seems to go: we're given a promising host with a slew of poorly written skits. I suppose it's tough to keep coming up with quality skit after quality skit, but it felt a little sub-par this week.