Saturday Night Live

Justin Timberlake/Lady Gaga

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM May 21, 2011 on NBC

• Finale both good, disappointing

The 36th (wow, that's incredible no matter how many times we say it) season finale of "Saturday Night Live" was one of the best and funniest episodes of the season … yet, it was also, oddly enough, somewhat of a disappointment. The reason why it was such a disappointment in my eyes is because I expected a lot, not just because it was the season finale, but because Justin Timberlake was the host and, believe it or not, Timberlake has proved himself to be old reliable when it comes to hosting. Saturday night's hosting gig was his fourth, by the way, one away from the prestigious five-timers club. There were a few things I predicted that we would get from this episode because of Timberlake's appearance: a Barry Gibb Talk Show sketch with special guest Jimmy Fallon, a new digital short song collaboration with Andy Samberg and a sketch involving Timberlake's recurring dancing and singing mascot peddler character. All three of my predictions came true, but only one of them lived up to expectations. The final sketch of the night was the Barry Gibb Talk Show with Fallon as Barry Gibb and Timberlake as his usual sidekick and brother Robin and it was the one that did live up to my high expectations, in fact, it might be one of the best performances of this sketch that Fallon and Timberlake have ever done. The funniest moment of the sketch came when Fallon as Barry Gibb in a fit of rage did a karate kick while saying "I survived the Rapture," which seemed as if it was possibly improvised and was certainly fitting, as most of you probably know some predicted the end of the world would be Saturday.

The biggest disappointment of my three correct predictions was the digital short. Samberg and Timberlake have teamed up twice before with the epically hilarious "Dick in a Box" and "Mother Lover," but this third collaboration, a song called "3-Way (The Golden Rule)" wasn't even in the same time zone as the previous two. I would've preferred being wrong in this prediction.

Timberlake did, also, bring back his recurring singing and dancing mascot this time advertising a liquor store. The sketch was good, don't get me wrong, but was probably the weakest he's done so far with this character. The funniest sketch for this character was probably the first one "bring it on down to Omeletville!" from his first hosting stint in 2003. The best sketch of the night was without a doubt the return of Bill Hader's perfect Herb Welch character, which he did two previous times this season. It was the one fall out of your seat laughing moment of the night. Welch is an elderly news reporter who frequently hits people in the face with his microphone and just doesn't seem competent anymore. Hader was certainly the best performer of the 36th season of 'SNL," with his Welch and Stefon characters, great impersonations (most notably Julian Assange and James Carville) and just doing whatever is needed to make the audience laugh. Hader is definitely the yeoman of the cast. The oddity of the night was the rather brisk Weekend Update; both short on guests and jokes … was Seth Meyers and the writers just that ready for the summer break? It did feature a nice and quick appearance by Hader as Stefon going with Meyers on summer vacation over the hiatus though.