Saturday Night Live

Lindsay Lohan/Pearl Jam

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Apr 15, 2006 on NBC

• Nobody answered last time, so I’ll ask again: does the carpet match the drapes?

A Review by “HelloStuart,” Amateur Critic and Self-Proclaimed Center of the Universe

For those of you that have been living under a rock for the last week, Lindsay Lohan hosted SNL for the third time last weekend. The fact that Lohan is even involved has instigated a hullabaloo amongst the SNL diehards, and though she’s been unexceptional as a host she seems to be a cast favorite. SNL has overcome bad hosts in the past, and even in this recent slump I remain (as I usually am) guarded optimistic. Losing streaks have ended in far stranger ways.

The musical guest tonight is far from controversial, unless you hate grunge-rock or worked for Ticketmaster in the mid-to-late 90’s. I’m obviously speaking of Pearl Jam, whose new album suggests not only a comeback to commercial relevance but also a return to form; it must be worth the hype if this band is making their first SNL appearance in twelve years.

And now, the sketch-by-sketch analysis:

COLD OPENING: Tonight on CNN’s “The Situation Room,” Wolf Blitzer (CP) comments on the defection of several members of the Bush Administration, a situation that reaches its nadir when Chief Justice Roberts’ teenage babysitter (Linz) becomes the new White House press secretary. Strangely, her high school rhetoric is a hit with the press to great comic effect, even if Lindsay’s raspy voice proved to be a trivial diversion.

MONOLOGUE: Shortly after making the obligatory self-referencing car crash joke, the newly brunette Double-L tries to sober up the Easter Bunny (KT) in an obvious parody of her recent personal problems.

“Neutrogena Coin Slot”: At long last, a moisturizer for the visible part of a woman’s butt-crack. The most useless products always seem to be the funniest, don’t they?

“Deep House Dish”: I still don’t get it- is Tiara Zee (RD) supposed to be brain-damaged from Ecstasy or just really thickheaded? It’s starting to get a little distracting. Even so, in this decidedly ordinary third go-around of MTV4’s electronic dance music smorgasbord, Frontal Assault and Demetrios (FA, BH) remix the theme from “Brokeback Mountain” as DJ Dynasty Handbag (KT) continues to stifle his dippy co-host.

SMIGELTOON: Two brave children follow a sheepish Mickey Mouse into “The Journey to the Disney Vault,” where Walt’s skeletons drop out of the closet and lousy direct-to-DVD sequels to cherished children’s movies thrive. Robert Smigel has used Disney as a target for satire in the past, though his opinionating seems to be getting the best of him.

“The O’Reilly Factor”: If you’ve seen one of the sketches, you’ve seen them all. Tonight, Bill plays Mr. Smartypants to New Yorker scribe Seymour Hersh (FA) and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich (WF) with the usual amount of self-absorbed befuddlement.

“Le Rendezvous”: A delicious chocolate pastry has a drug-like, animalistic effect on four restaurant patrons (Linz, FA, RD, JS). I don’t know why, but I really enjoyed this sketch; maybe it was because the intense physical humor didn’t border on the obnoxious.

FILM: “Laser Cats!” is an el cheapo Hader/Samberg production that pretty much speaks for itself. I wasn’t expecting something this amateurish and stupid to be this funny, but there’s a brutal honesty to their dorky posture that makes this film work. Also, extra points for Lorne’s grimacing and Forte’s cardboard box getup.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: As expected, Pearl Jam performs a scathing rendition of their comeback hit “World Wide Suicide.”

WEEKEND UPDATE: Tina and Amy banter with in-house meteorologist Stormy Windbreaker (SM), who dryly explains how global warning, tornados, and the pending apocalypse will be affecting our seven-day forecast. Also, “American Idol” hopeful Taylor Hicks (JS) covers his latent creepiness with a nuclear bomb of enthusiasm. All in all, this was a more focused Update compared to recent weeks; then again, any news segment that ends with the phrase “Your Mouth Can’t Get Pregnant” is good in my book.

“Debbie Downer”: Egad, it’s the recurring sketch that won’t die! I believe at this point in the movie, I’d be the grizzled old farmer who asks his wife “Maw, get me my shotgun.” But in all seriousness, this time around the perpetually despondent Debbie hampers a Vegas bachelorette party. Just add water (and Bill Hader’s man-bulge) and you’ve got yourself a Debbie Downer sketch.

“Socially Awkward Officemates”: Three very bookish colleagues (Linz, WF, KW) go to a local eatery and slowly loosen up in spite of their anal, introverted personalities. Was it just me, or did Lindsay’s character resemble Glenda Goodwin? Might this be another connection to Maya’s latest (albeit unexplained) hiatus from the show?

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: Eddie Vedder shines a light on the plight of the homeless with the album cut “Severed Hand.”

“Atlantic City Fever”: Robert Osborne of TCM fame (another solid DH impression) analyzes this lost 60’s cinematic romp between Ann-Margeret (Linz) and Liberace (FA), a film marred by Lee’s blatant lack of attraction to women and an overall lack of chemistry. This was an above-average ten-to-one sketch, though I can picture this being on Fred’s best-of DVD, if and when such a thing will ever be released.

After nearly two months of mediocre shows, tonight’s broadcast came out breaking even. “Laser Cats” proved to be one of the stronger digital short films that has aired on the show, and “Le Rendezvous” was probably one of the best physical sketches of recent memory, but otherwise the writing was its usual shaky self and the cast did its best to pick up the pieces. Though Pearl Jam might seem like an out-of-the-blue choice for musical guest, they sure as heck delivered; after several years of mediocre albums and Bob Dylan covers, Eddie and the boys ripped through their two songs with all the incense and gusto that most of us had feared lost around the time they cut “Vitology.”

Sketches/Segments That Will Probably Be Removed in Repeats: “Deep House Dish,” “The O’Reilly Factor,” Taylor Hicks’ commentary on Update, and “Socially Awkward Officemates.”

In Three Weeks: The “blast from the past” theme rolls on with Tom Hanks hosting for the first time in nearly a decade and musical guest Red Hot Chili Peppers making their first SNL appearance since Year 17.

Contact “HelloStuart” at sma17kc@netscape.net.

And now, the sketch-by-sketch analysis:

Contact “HelloStuart” at sma17kc@netscape.net.
  • Great show

Lindsay Lohan was great,I mean she always is!! She\'s gorgeous, funny and a great actress! Pearl Jam was good too. I\'m not the biggest fan of their type of music, but Lindsay made up for them! SNL should have her back real soon as I\'m sure ratings would boost big time! It\'s nice to see her looking healthy again too, for a while I was real worried she was wasting away to nothing, but as evidenced by the Magnifying Glass skit she certainly has gotten back to the old Lindsay we can to love! MUAH Linds! Keep up the great work
  • Not a Lohan fan, but pretty good show.

I thought this was pretty good episode. The Smigel cartoon of the Disney Vault made the whole show and the "chocolate dessert sketch was a nice bit of physical comedy, that the cast and guest star did not mess up, like they are prone to do. Also Amy Pohler and Lohan's response to the sound effects goof in the Debbie Downer sketch brought out a chuckle, but the best sketch had to be the shy co-workers who evolve from worrying about what table to choose to heading out for a glorious three-way featuring Indian head dresses and video cameras! That one was well-done!
  • I almost pee'd my pants a few times. Definately one of the best I've seen in a while. Not too political and Lindsey actually impressed me.

I thought that this episode was up there with some of the best by far. I always LOVE the commercials, OMG "Coin Slot" was the best skit on the whole episode. It was great too, because earlier we were watching a rerun on E and they played one of the commercials and it was for "Huggies Thiongs" and I had said that I hadn't laughed that hard in ages and then about an hour later I was laughing even harder. Probably cuz I was WB'd.
  • Forgive me, Lorne, for what I am about to say.

6.1
    I\'m not the biggest Lindsay Lohan fan. The fact that she is 19 and now has hosted 3 frickin\' times is purely unbelievable. I won\'t do sketch by sketch with all the cast members in the sketch (unless I saw it in another review) like I usually do since I did not record the show to watch it again and I was not at my PC to review while watching like I usually him. This show was under par. The only good sketch was the digital short.

Cold Open: The Situation Room with Blitzer (CP). I missed the first minute of the sketch because someone had the remote but mainly it had to do with a new press secretary (LL) who the press corps feared.

Monologue: LL jokes about the car crash and then some bunny (KT) talks to her satirizing LL\'s problems.

Neutrogena Coin Slot: Not funny. Not funny at all.

Deep House Dish: KT hosts and RD is is sidekick. Did someone drop her on the head? Frontal Assault and Demetrios (FA and BH) perform a remix of the theme from the movie known only as \"Brokeback Mountain,\" or the cowboy movie. Lindsay does a song as well. Is it just me or was her top see-through?

TV Funhouse: Smigel does a Disney parody as we travel into the vault.

O’Reilly Factor: Bill (DH) gets outsmarted by Seymour Hersh (FA) and former Congressman Newt Gingrich (WF).

Le Rendezvous: The chocolate cake sketch. Okay, this was good because of the sugar high that it caused. LL, JS, RD, FA.

Short \"Laser Cats\": This speaks for itself and was written and directed by Andy and Bill. Will plays the arch-rival and LL is the princess.

Update: Stormy Windbreaker (SM) explains the Tornado-Cane. There was a Mint Julep joke. Taylor Hicks (JS). \"Your Mouth Can’t Get Pregnant\" penned by Tina Fey, MD.

Debbie Downer: Will this sketch die please?

Socially Awkward Officemates: KW, LL, WF. I did not like this sketch at all. Just find a seat and sit down if you don\'t see a hostess.

Atlantic City Fever: Robert Osborne (DH) introduces a lost clip with Ann-Margaret (LL) and Liberace (FA)

Next up: Tom Hanks and Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
  • Lindsay Lohan hosts. And that's about it!

Well, this is Linsday Lohan's third time hosting SNL, and I guess I'll ask the obvious question...why? The night's sketches were mostly mediocre, and I didn't feel that Lindsay really brought anything as a host (unlike, say, Steve Carrell or Eva Longoria, both of whom were hilarious). I was really disappointed by "Deep House Dish" which has been fairly funny the first two times it appeared, but this version fell short. In my opinion, the high point of the night was the Disney Vault Saturday TV Funhouse Cartoon, which featured a cryogenically frozen Walt Disney, Simba (from the "Lion King") sitting in for Meredith Viera on "The View", and a really racist version of "Song Of The South." Another funny sketch was "Laser Cats" which was an SNL Digital Short. All in all, the live sketches just couldn't deliver, while the pre-taped one and the cartoon tried to make up for them. I honestly think that with a different host, this show could've been at least an 8 or 9.
  • At least Lindsay dosent look like the crack skeleton anymore.

6.1
    Sadly SNL has gotten worse over the years and the fact that the crack sleleton media whore Lindsay Lohan is back is proof of that. The only good skits were Laser Cats [so stupid its funny], The O'Rilley Factor and Disney Vault by Smigel. Humorously my NBC affiliat cut Lindsay doing the good nights so that raised it a few points.
  • Lindsay did better than the last two times she has hosted. What made this eppy bad was the horrible writing.

Tonights Episode opened up with the SR skit. It wasn’t that funny. Very boring indeed. Lindsay’s monologue was not any better. She just made fun of herself. Kenan did a good job as the Easter Bunny though. Then we got a Coin Slot commercial. It was STUPID. Not funny just plain silly. For the 5th time we got the Deep House Dish, I liked Amy’s performance. Then we got a cartoon this was really funny. The factor was very dry and stupid. They kept saying the same things over and over again. Laser Cats was good enough for this eppy. Debbie Downer wasn’t any better. The officemates was pretty funny. I was shocked to not see Lohan lost character.
  • Please, say this is the last time Lindsay hosts SNL, at least for a while.

Now, every season of SNL, there is a host that almost everyone is dreading for whatever reason. Maybe lack of talent, too much hype, just annoying, stuff like that. Well, all that has been put into one package, this week’s host. The musical guest on the other hand is not that hyped, and hasn’t released an album in a while. So add one over hyped celeb and one under hyped, and divide the answer by 2, and you got the right amount. Hype had nothing to do with this show. Though it still wasn’t that much. Let’s just get it over with.

HOST:
    This week’s host is over hyped, under talented teen-queen Lindsay Lohan. This makes it her third time hosting in 3 years, and as she says, she’s only 19. Now, this hosting must have a lot to do with the fact that her aunt is Tina Fey, head writer. So as long as Tina is on, niece Lindsay might make more appearances, this actually being her fourth. In her monologue, she showed that she wasn’t a freaky looking twig anymore, which is good, cause no one wants to see a skeleton with clothes on, maybe on Halloween, but not on a show. Though in the monologue, she had a conversation with the Easter Bunny, who has her problems. The bunny was drunk, and made a few slurs. Best was “rocket surgery.” And Lindsay wanted to share to everyone that Lindsay is a good actress, though not as good as Meryl Streep, who told her that. Making her believe that shows just how convincing Ms. Streep is. She wasn’t all that good in her skits, and broke character a few times. So here’s to say: No more Lindsay. Please! Don’t bring her back! C-

MUSICAL GUEST:
    This week’s musical guest is Seattle band Pearl Jam, who hasn’t had a record out in quite some time. I can listen to some grunge music, but didn’t really listen to this much. The music sounded pretty good, but the lyrics were so-so. They performed “World Wide Suicide” and “Severed Hand.” Actually, I like the titles. They were pretty good. They’re a lot better than the host too.

THE SKITS:

Cold Opening: The Situation Room – So, while many are leaving to spend time with their families, some are staying. This skit made me realize that I could be the Iran expert. Actually, I might be over-qualified for this job. They’ll hire anyone, including a 16-year-old snobby girl. I was hoping this would be Amy, since Kristen was someone else, but, no, not . . . Lindsay! So, she starts the suffering I must endure. Huh. All in all, the skit was funny, but I wish Lindsay didn’t have to appear. Wonder if Tina wrote this . . . B-

Neutrogena Coin Slot – Well, this must be the dumbest commercial parody I’ve even seen. It’s moisturizing cream for your @ss crack, cause girls wear low rise jeans, but not that low. Lindsay and Kristen were the girls in the commercial. And while this is totally worth Lindsay’s talents of acting, it is a waste of Kristen Wiig’s talents. They gave Kristen Amy’s type of part. I predicted what it was about from the beginning. I was right about that, and that it’d be dumb. D+

Deep House Dish – MTV4, the alternative to the alternative, once again gives us an array of club artists that we will never hear of, unless we watch this show with an annoyed host, and his boring girl friend co-host. He always complains about her, and I am starting to get annoyed by her too. I like the song “Sexy Mess” but Amy as the artist talks about her curves. Amy has no curves, so maybe Maya would have made a better fit to sing that. It was pretty good. I laughed at parts. B-

TV Funhouse: Journey To the Disney Vault – This was pretty good. All those re-released Disney shows that come and go quicker than you can say anti-Semitic are in this place. It has one of my favorites, “Bambi 2002,” a great movie. Two children travel to the vault, and learn in fact how prejudice the late great Walt Disney really was. If ya know how much Disney hated African Americans, Jews, and others, you’d understand it. I like the crack about Mickey Mouse supposed to be funny. He is supposed to be a great comedian, but he really ain’t. This was funny. B

The O’Reily Factor – This might have been the best skit of the night for the fact that Lohan was not in it. It wasn’t that great, but it had funny parts. We see O’Reily not understanding what anyone is saying, and his guests having to correct him. Sums it up. C+

Le Rendezvous – This is dessert so good that you go insane. Swing your husband, break plates over your head, eat it, name it, do it. The best part was when Lindsay swung the dummy and dropped him, and then Suds, playing her husband, popped up. Well rehearsed. This skit was dumb, but the ending where they said it wasn’t that great was so-so. They couldn’t think of anything better? C-

Lazar Cats! (Digital Short) – Yet another one. Andy and Bill has an idea about cats that shot lazars because the 2 things people love are lazars and cats. So in the future, my Salem will shoot lazars out of him mouth, on top of his tune breathe? Please, no! This is one of those “it’s so bad, so dumb, so crappy, it’s actually funny” skits. Of course I enjoyed it cause it was really the only thing that Andy had a big part in. But no “Lazy Sunday” or “The Real Natalie Portman,” Samberg’s better work. I liked the end when they asked Lorne what he thought, and he told them to get out. That made me laugh. B-

Debbie Downer – Oh, the moment most of us have been dreading has finally arrived, the notorious Debbie Downer. No matter where you are, how great the environment is, she has nothing good to say, just depressing news. Here, they are at a Vegas male strip club. And the dancers are actually played by SNL cast members, making me wonder that out of all the guys, do Seth, Finesse, Andy, and Will have the hottest bodies? Well, I wasn’t complaining that Andy was a dancer. I actually kinda enjoyed that. Good news for this crappy skit. I was in a good mood, so maybe that is why I laughed. I liked the mistakes in it, like when the sound effect happened at the wrong time. And the rap beat for one. Lindsay also started laughing in it. It had some good parts in it. Not as annoying as usual, but still is annoying. B-

Socially Awkward Officemates – This can be described in two words – boring and dumb. Three total office nerds are at a bar. And they have horrid conversation. Lohan seemed to have Gilda Radner hair. I was wondering, are they accountants? Could explain the boringness. D

Atlantic City Fever – So, we see the joining off Ann Margaret and Liberachi. I don’t actually know if I had the names right. Right person, right spelling. So if you want, correct me. Anyone, they pair up for a movie that sucked. The skit was dumb, and by this time I was glad the skit was over. C-

BEST MOMENT – They cut Lindsay off at the goodnights. Meaning that’s less I must see of her. Also, Andy played a dancer, so I saw more of him in more than 1 skit. But the greatest is when the show ended. Finally, bye to Lohan! (Oh, and next show!)

WORST MOMENT – Lindsay Lohan was host. Enough said there. (Though not enough Samberg, Hader, and Mitchell.) Also, I was a bit mad they cut the credits cause I like watching the cast. But less Lindsay means good.

SURPRISING MOMENT – Debbie Downer wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. And I thought the show would be worse than it actually was. At least a 4, and it is a 5. Average. Not less than average.

SKIT AVERAGE – 2.1, C

SHOW RATING – 5/10 Sparkling Diamonds

Next new episode the great Tom Hanks returns with musical guest Red Hot Chili Peppers. So after having to suffer Lohan’s hosting, we get a talented actor.

• Not good but not bad

Again they show Lindsay Lohan as host
    For the third time ever
    But even though I am not a big fan of hers
    She did funny on the show
    Loved the Debbie Downer skit that Rachel Dratch does a lot
    Even though people have complained about it a lot
    Kind of reminds me of myself
    When I want to do depressing subjects
    At parties and weddings