Saturday Night Live

Melissa McCarthy/Lady Antebellum

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Oct 01, 2011 on NBC

7.9
  • Melissa McCarthy hosts

This episode was proof (at least for me) that either a.) the writers have no clue how to write for Melissa McCarthy or b.) have gotten incredibly lazy. Either way, this was an insanely disappointing episode of SNL, one that destroyed some of the goodwill that the Alec Baldwin episode had built up.

Right from the get-go, something was off. They did a Lawrence Welk skit to open the show, and while a lot of people hate it, I love it. Kristen Wiig is hilarious and creepy as the weird sister, but the writers decided to add McCarthy into the skit, likely to shake things up. For one, I couldn't understand a word she said with the teeth she had in. Secondly, she just didn't fit the part. That lead into the terrible monologue, this weird dance/jazz-like performance with her and Wiig that fell flat on its face. The HPV doll commercial was okay and the skit where Melissa played a secretary turned on by Jason Sudeikis was really weird and strange (but McCarthy's willingness to go over the top made it worth it).

The Digital Short was great, mostly because I used to love Stomp, so it was like a trip down memory lane. However, the rest of the show was pretty weak. Melissa McCarthy played basically the same character in every single skit. By the time I got to the "classic movie scenes" skit, I was sick of her. Yes, I loved her in Bridesmaids, but man, the show just wasn't giving her anything to work with.

• Fantastic and refreshingly funny episode!

I've been a fan of SNL for a very long time and a dissapointed one for a while. Apart from few recent exeptions this show barely had a genuine entertaining episode. Thank you, Mellisa, for bringing my hope in the future of this show!

I knew she has an amazing potential but those weird, quirky characters she showed us were proof that what SNL needs is not great writing but great comedy performers.

SNL! please, please, please stop getting to host those people who are famous that month or seem to be doing well in the ratings or starred in a movie about teenage vampires! Please focus on those who first of all have some comedy chops! After all this is a comedy show.... right?