Saturday Night Live

Miley Cyrus/The Strokes

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Mar 05, 2011 on NBC

7.7
  • if Miley did sing i would have a stroke.

did disney take control of Saturday night live to i mean she was terrible. it was not funny and the Justin Bieber sketch was gayer than the actual justin Bieber. she is so tasteless when it comes to her talent she shouldn't be famous. i was more confused that the show stupid that i thought it was a stupid hannah montanna episode.please for the love of god do not let her back on this show again or else it will kill SNL. they had to clean this up for here even though SNL is a really vulgar show.rules no disney channel stars please.
  • Miley Cyrus is host and The Strokes are the band. Will Miley address the various scandals and snafus that keep her in the tabloids and as the punch line of rude jokes? Will Vanessa Bayer mock Miley to her face? Stay tuned.

Timely and topical Cold Opening, Duh, Winning! Bill Hader doing a great take on Charlie Sheen hosting a talk show with guests like Christina Aguilera (Abby Elliot), John Galliano (Taran Killam), Gadaffi, (Fred A.), and host Miley Cyrus as Lindsay Lohan. Pop Culture references like John Stamos, Tiger Blood, Gary Busey, Humpty Hump from Digital Underground, and Baby Urine. Though predictable, it was well done and funny. All of the impressions were pretty good. Miley Cyrus as Lilo was pretty cool, huh?

The monologue with Miley was good, too. She did a song with the hook "I'm sorry that I'm not perfect" that addressed all her various scandals and compared them to Brett Favre, Charlie Sheen, Tiger Woods, etc. Making mountains out of molehills. I think that she showed the world that she wasn't going to take herself or her troubles too seriously, and was ready to make fun of it all. This made me eager to see if Vanessa Bayer would do her Miley impression, and I was not disappointed. Miley herself was a guest and did Justin Beiber. She was scary good, with the facial expressions, and all of Beiber's patented moves. The ending had a knock off of Beiber's Never Say Never in 3D, Miley's Always Say Always in 3D. Baby Spanx was the fake commercial, but it was a repeat. So, a few points deducted for not having new material. There was a sketch with Keenan Thompson & Andy Samberg as Apple D. App. and Taboo, overlooked and neglected members of Black Eyed Peas, called Our Time. Abby Elliot played Chloe Kardashian. There was a mention that Taboo was on the cover of Vaguely Asian Magazine. Jay Pharaoh as Will.I.Am and Miley as Fergie kept interrupting and upstaging them. A sketch about the Disney Channel Acting School poked fun at Miley's Hannah Montana days, with Keenan doing a spot on impression of Raven that was so Raven. Love the "looking through a door" where the three heads pop out and peak one by one. That was so Raven.

The Strokes played a few songs. They didn't knock me over the head with a two-by-four, but were a pretty good alternative rock band. The singer wore shades for the second song; kind of a dreary art rock ballad called "Life Is Simple In The Moonlight," and looked suitably scruffy. I didn't care for Miley Cyrus as an entertainer on a cruise ship with contempt for her elderly passengers. Maybe I identified more with them than her. Kristen Wiig had a shirt on that had a 24/7 cat parking sign on it. I am this close to being an animal hoarder, so I didn't appreciate that, and neither did my cats, which were parked on me, as they usually are 24/7.

So, I think it was a pretty cool episode, because Miley made fun of herself, and though she might not be as funny as some hosts who are more professional comedians, she was a good sport, and made a good target for the other cast members. Also, the newer cast members are making their presence known, and a sketch like "Les Jeunes de Paris" makes this point well.
  • Intoxication? IntoxiWinning!

This season has came into it's own so far. The humor has changed its pace slightly, but in a good way. This cast demonstrates as much versatility as we can ask for, and every impression, if casted right, can be filled. After season 35, my check list of things to fix have been at LEAST tampered with. Kristen Wiig has been more subdued this season, though she still is the "star of the show" as people will say, but she is not as over-bearing as she was last season. The other women have came through, and recurring characters are not carbon copies like last year. These new writers are starting to come through with their sketches.

Our host tonight is Miley Cyrus. Musical guest is The Strokes. The Strokes have been on SNL before, and their music is enjoyable to listen to. Miley Cyrus has been the kind of host that people are expecting to bomb on the show. We'll see tonight how it will go over. I am sure that she would never face-plant, but, whether or not she'll be a good host will be found out from this episode.

Duh! Winning!: I was wondering if SNL was going to actually go after Charlie Sheen. I mean, this was inevitable after this week of news, but, for some reason, after all the crazy stories we've seen about Charlie Sheen in the past years, SNL has never impersonated him. But, this was a good opening. I was glad to see Abby as Christina Aguilera again, since Nasim's impression wasn't anything impressive, and I laughed when Taran came out as John Galliano. Miley Cyrus as Lohan made me sure that this wasn't the cold opening in dress rehearsal, and I can only assume it was some bad Obama opening or something.

Monologue: This was a good way to address all the troubles with Miley. Miley actually has a great voice, who knew? I guess Disney does find talent.

Baby Spanx: I guess it was okay to see this commercial again. It wasn't too memorable the first time, but, it's been half a season since we've seen it, so it's fine.

Our Time: I laughed at the idea of this sketch. Those two other Black Eyed Peas members always made me laugh, because no one (myself included until this sketch) know their name. The actual sketch was just okay, and there wasn't too much to really give credit about. I laughed at them using Khloe Kardashian, and I also laughed when Miley and Jay came out as Fergie and Will.I.Am for the second time.

The Essentials: I didn't mind the last time they did this. And I don't mind the idea that they're always going to have a deleted character or segment from a movie with this sketch, but I do mind that they have Fred play the same characters that he has played numerous times before. This time it was the Mexican stereo-type. The sketch itself wasn't awful, but, I wish they would have taken another approach to it, instead of Fred doing one of his few stereotypes.

Disney Channel Acting School: This was great. First of all, Kenan as Raven Symone was hilarious, but the acting skills are so accurate for Disney shows. I'm glad Miley came to good realization with it.

Miley Cyrus Show: By this point, I was wondering if they were going to do a sketch. I enjoyed it. Miley as Justin Biebs was pretty funny, and it had some great one-liners, and the "Always Say Always" baby shot was funny. By the way... Bobby retired his character as the drummer? I don't get why he was there in the first place, but why take him out if he's not a character in the sketch?

Musical Performance: The Strokes performed "Under Cover of Darkness", which is a decent enough song. The guitar parts are my favorite in this song... I also gotta say that that F-Bomb was real smooth.

Weekend Update: Seth's Update has been on it's own course for about 2 years now. Very seldom do we ever run into a weak Update. It's always a strong segment of the show, but tonight's stood out throughout the whole season. Obviously, the slew of news this week was very good for Update. I also enjoyed the Anthony Crispino commentary just because of Bobby's antics. I was happy to see Jason's Satan back, too, because the lines they slip in are hilarious. Overall, great Update.

Les Juenes de Paris: This was a sketch I was happy to see back again. It was really awesome, and I give credit to the choreography. I also noticed that, aside from Andy, every cast member in this sketch has been hired no longer before 2008... message? Anyways, great sketch.

Beastly: I was suprised to see this weird Andy character back, but I laughed at it. The weirder it got the better it was, and I loved the "Rango!" "Beastly.." "Beastly!" line.

Rock N' Roll and Facial Cream: This was definitely a Kristen sketch. But we have to expect these every once and a while. It wasn't too boring, in fact, I was laughing at the weirdness of this sketch. This, and the Spa one, were so left-field, and so out there, that I laughed.

Musical Performance: The Strokes perform "Life Is Simple In The Moonlight" which was a good song. I hadn't listened to it before (I'm not sure if it's even released yet).

Cruise Singer: At first, when I saw Vanessa as an old lady, I thought she was going to be that cruise-goer she did on Update during the Scarlett Johansson show. But, it was starring Miley, and it was kind of funny, at least for a last-live-sketch-of-the-night (I'd say 10-to-one, but there was another taped thing after).

CBS Dead Shows: This was a good take on all the CBS morbid shows. I take it they put this together this week, by the riff on Two and a Half Men?

Tonight's show was actually enjoyable. There were more recurring segments/characters than usual, but most of them weren't completely repetitive, and most were enjoyable. Who would have thought Miley would be a good host? As many have said, tonight's show contained a lot of talk shows, or singing sketches, but, if that's what it is, it is what it is. I mean, there was nothing awful. The show was funny throughout here and there, maybe minus the Rock-N-Roll and Essentials sketch, and The Strokes were good.

Speaking of The Essentials, it's made me realized how much I hope Fred leaves after this May. I feel badly saying that, but, his time's come. He's past his prime on the show, and he should have walked out the door with Will Forte back last summer. But, hopefully he realizes how this should be his last season. If Kenan stays one more season, I won't complain, unless Kenan starts doing really stale characters between now and May. That all being said, Fred isn't a bad cast member by any sorts, but, he's just recycling all the kinds of characters he can do, such as gay stereotypes, (insert nationality here) stereotypes, and so on. I feel like we've seen it all. Plus, I would really like to see Jay's Obama come into play next season.

Next week, Zach Galifianakis hosts again, with musical guest Jessie Jay.