Saturday Night Live

Natalie Portman/Fall Out Boy

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Mar 04, 2006 on NBC

• TV.com made me change the title of this review so I wouldn't get moderated. So, a little less commercial breaks, and a little more show. Sugar, It's Comin' On! Watch, Watch!

Now, every season, there is normally an episode I am really looking forward to. It is one where both the host and musical guest are favs of mine. Plus after the long Winter Olympics break, I wanted to see a new SNL badly. This was so worth the wait. And this was definitely that episode. It had 0 flaws in it really. And the worst skit of the night I could actually watch. The host and musical guest were both perfect. I loved the show. First dime of season. With that said, I might as well start the review.

HOST:
    This week’s host was Natalie Portman, an extremely talented young actress probably best known as playing Queen Amidala in the Star Wars Episode Trilogy. She did very well in all her skits, even kept a straight face when Sanz and Meyers started laughing in her first skit of the night. But she is a trained professional, so I was hoping she would. In her monologue, which was very funny, she answered questions, proving to know more about Star Wars than the geeky fans, played by Andy and Jason. And she was asked what the “Star Wars” thing is by another audience member. Then she was approached about her first role when she was 11 by Chris Parnell, who asked if she still had any old costumes left. I loved his pervert character. Natalie has definitely been the best host of the entire season so far. Great in all her sketches! She should definitely return. A+

MUSICAL GUEST:
    This week’s musical guest was Chicago’s Grammy nominated pop-punk band, and my favorite band Fall Out Boy. They performed 2 of my favorite songs, first being “Dance, Dance,” and then the song that mostly got them MTV famous, “Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down.” I actually thought they’d do their song that is pry soon to be released, “A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me.” I was kinda hoping for it. But hey, I was glad they were on. I read a few complaints about their stage presence, and uh, having seen them perform live before on TV, nothing was new to me. I liked when Pete, the bassist, climbed onto the speakers, and jumped off. And also when he threw his bass into the drums. Of course, Pete and Joe, the guitarist, did the usual spinning and jumping. Patrick, vocals, did a great job too, as always, but I was kinda disappointed that at the end, he made his way to the back of the crowd. But I read complaints where they said you can’t understand a word he said. I could, very easily, more easily than usual, but I know the lyrics by heart mostly. Andy on drums was great too. You don’t get to see the drummer much though. Few quick shots. But it was mostly on Patrick, which means no complaints from me. Loved the close ups. (Gorgeous eyes on him) I also loved how silly they acted before the performances. The band did an excellent job, and providing they didn’t get themselves in trouble, I hope they return. A+++

THE SKETCHES:

Cold Opening: Bush Responds To Criticism – In here, Bush responded to the criticism he is getting from the nation. This skit was very funny. I loved the Ditect reference, and the whole “Texas-style” thing. A

Nelson’s Baby Toupees – Ah, it is recurring, and is still funny the second time. This is the commercial where they offer toupees for babies who are still bald. They’ll get their hair one day, but this gives them more confidence. Plus, babies are too young to know how fake the air looks. A

Jamba Juice – This was probably the best skit of the night. It was hilarious. In this Juice Shop, you are expected to get a free boost, cause it is all these kids live for. I loved the energy. (In fact, I wonder if Pete had a few of these juices before the performances) But, by any chance, did these juices have any drugs in them? This skit was also the one where Seth and Horatio started laughing, and Natalie held composure. Glad about that. A++

Larry King Live – This was an okay funny skit. Larry tried to figure out people’s changes in sex, and couldn’t keep it straight. Now, is it just me, or did Natalie’s character look like Hilary Swank’s in “Boys Don’t Cry?” B-

The Couple That Should Be Divorced – Ah, the Needlers. Title sums it up. They are trying to have a baby this time, and Natalie is playing the doctor. Funny thing about this couple, is when they leave, they soon have sex in some location, and like 10 seconds later are back. I thought about that when the skit ended. Doesn’t take them very long now does it? A-

TV Funhouse: Belated Black History Moment – These cartoons looked funny, but never lasted. First we have Token Power, featuring a Pussycat, a Charlie Brown character, and some dude I don’t know. It was strange, but I liked Tracy Morgan’s cameo voice. Then there was the cartoon version of “Driving Mrs. Daisy” which looked good. And finally, the best looking of the 3 was Ladysmith Black Lambazo in Outer Space. They looked and sounded stereotyped. But funny. So, so funny. And it reminded me of some cartoon, but I can’t identify it for some reason. A-

Art Dealers and the College Boyfriend – I never actually liked this skit. It’s strange and weird. Though this was one actually tolerable. Natalie plays the daughter of the couple with very odd furniture. And Suds was the boyfriend. The funniest, and most disgusting, part was the melted ice cream. I’d never visit that family in a million years. C+

Sheldon's Bar Mitzvah – The kids from “Wake Up Wakefield” are back! Maya’s character has a new crush, Maroon 5 singer Adam Levine. In the beginning, when Sheldon said there was a surprise musical guest, I started thinking that FOB would actually make an appearance. But then I remembered on their website, Pete said they weren’t doing skits. And I figured Andy would have to be in this one, cause he is Jewish and looks like a kid. I loved his character. Natalie played Sheldon’s ex, and Andy played her new boy friend. And the 2 danced, and dear God, that whole white people can’t dance thing, they make it look worse. Neither should be dancing. Turns out Jazz Times 10 was the guest. The once Future Randy Goldman hoped it was Maroon 5. This was the second funniest skit of the night. I really enjoyed it. A+

The Real Natalie (Film Short) – So, when I think Natalie Portman, I think sweet Girl Next Door type, as do many others, I’m sure. But after this, man are we wrong! She is a hard core bad a$$ Jewish girl who does dope and drinks, and doesn’t wanna be a role model. She also f***s all her Jewish guys, or that’s what I got out of it. And Andy, who I bet wrote it, was also in it. He was rapping with her. (And was dressed in Flavor Flav’s Viking helmet apparently). This was no “Lazy Sunday,” but it was better than the 3 shorts from a month ago. I also liked when Natalie knocked the interviewer, Parnell, out with a chair. I kinda like bad Natalie. My whole thing is trying to decide her rapping. It sounded kinda Beastie Boys, meaning it was more shouting than rapping. But it was funny and unexpected. A

RAD 3000 – At this point, I realized there wouldn’t be another skit on. Not to mention they cut in to FOB’s second performance, which I was a bit upset about. It’s a good investment. If there is a fire, instead of an alarm, you hear hits from the 80’s. That’ll get ya up fast. A

BEST MOMENT – Ah, so many to say. Fall Out Boy’s performances. Finesse on update playing Starkisha, a girl who is in every single one of my classes, more than once. Andy being on skits, and having a bigger role. The whole episode was good. Perfect episode.

WORST MOMENT – Well, if it is perfect, that means nothing bad. But I do have complaints. They pertain to the musical guest, but I’m not complaining about them. On the second one, they showed too many commercials, and cut into the beginning of “Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down.” And then at the credits, Patrick went to the back of the group. And if ya saw Andy back there, he was looking strange. He was just standing there and kinda smiling. Those are just complaints, but not bad moments.

SURPRISING MOMENT – I did think that FOB would perform their next song, which I stated above. I was the one going around the forum saying, “No. They’re gonna do the new song with “Dance, Dance.” I know they will.” While everyone else is saying they’ll do Sugar. They were right. I hate being wrong. ;)

Skit Average - 3.8 A+

Rating - 10/10 Sparkling Diamonds

Next week is Oscar nominated Matt Dillon and British group Arctic Monkeys, who over there are a sensation. So maybe after next week, they will be just as huge here too.