Saturday Night Live

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBC Premiered Oct 11, 1975 In Season

HelloStuart

Saturday Night Live Fan Reviews page 10 of 11

• It\\\'s sad to see SNL not as great as it was in its heyday...

2.6
    I really think SNL has lost what made it great. The guests they have on there are pretty lame, unless you are someone who follows trends a lot....The only thing that even vaguely interests me about SNL these days is the musical guests..and an example of what I said before about \\\'trendy\\\' hosts..a great example(and this is a NASCAR fan saying this)....JEFF GORDON hosting in 2002, when they should, if they were gonna have a NASCAR guy on, the 2002 Champion Tony Stewart. Having seen Tony in person,he IS hugely popular..and a lot more funnier than Jeff was!! But I thought it was sorta funny when Steve Forbes guest-hosted...The best guest host IMO was when Ron Howard did SNL in the early 80\\\'s,forget which year though...I also remember Eddie Murphy and his characters like \\\"James Brown\\\" in the hot tub skit..and as Mister Robinson..but as far as the casts over the years,the ORIGINAL cast was the best(Gilda Radner and John Belushi RIP)..
  • It is still ok but just not what it used to be.

I liked this show when it had Will Ferrel and Chris Kattan. Now a days it's just not as funny as it used to be, much like The Simpsons in that respect. The show is good for a mild chuckle but no longer something I laugh out loud too. My thoughts are if Jimmy Falon doesn't laugh his way through the skits its just not as great as it used to be. I hope SNL gets better at another point in time but I fear after a show as long SNL has run it just can't stay funny forever. Don't get me wrong though, it still has its moment its just not what it used to be,
  • Hit rock bottom years ago

3.5
    Why won't it just end? SNL has been terrible for the past eight plus years and each year only accomplishes the seemingly impossible by being worse than the previous year.

The show had a great twenty-year run. However, it has been sliding downhill since then, especially after the departure of some of the "modern-era" greats like Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, et al.
  • Saturday Night Live, it has indeed been alive for all Satuday nights I can remember...But it is still funny? I say it is.

I haven't always lived here, near America, where we get American channels. In Holand I never saw SNL and seeing I'm pretty young I couldn't possibly get sick of it yet. To me, it's hilarious, I watch it every saturday night, but I won't die if I miss it. One of the reasons being you can see previous episodes on E! Pretty handy from time to time. Anyway, this show is hilarious, the way they act and mostly read the lines...It looks funny and especially when one of them says something that everyone finds funny and they all start laughing and can't stay serious anymore for their characters. I especially adore the fake commercials they make, like the baby thong diapers.
  • Truly Astounding, anyone who says it's bad now obviously doesn't watch it.

This show is amazing then and it still is now, as good as ever. The talent they have is amazing, just like 30 years ago. It's all great. They are different people, but IT is STILL amazing!!!!!! It's just like when people say the Simpsons is bad now, it is NOT! They are just as good as ever.
  • Saturday Night Live...always got something good.

Saturday Night Live is always a good show to try and catch. The guest hosts and bands are always a pleasure. They're innovative and entertaining. Not every segment is the best, but they've always got something you'll like in the show. I always like to watch it whenever I'm home on a Saturday night. Good times.
  • Once a great show, now is an embarassment to television.

3.2
    When I look back at the old episodes of SNL, I ask how? How was that show so funny back then, with great skits like Wayne's World, yet be so terrible now? Occasionally I'll watch it to try to get some entertainment out of late night TV, but it is just unbearable to watch. If I'm lucky, I'll see one decent skit that will make me smile a bit, possibly even laugh, but that's just if I'm lucky. Some shows are so terrible that I actually feel embarassed for the actors, because the jokes they're making are so unbelievably not funny that they must be humiliated. Ferrel was their last good actor and he left. I guess Jimmy Fallen was okay, but he left too!

I'd say the funniest part of SNL nowadays is the news, but even that usually isn't very funny. If you want bawdy, witty and hilarious news reporting by someone who actually knows what he's talking about, watch the Daily Show. Don't waste your saturday night watching SNL. Even the musical performances are usually crap.
  • Still better then MadTv

I love SNL, these people obviously dont get political humor and satire. Writing is sharp best sketch is weekend update. The Prince show is pretty funny, he does a good impersonation of him. I also like the Falconer Sketchs, anything with will forte is funny. This is a really good show, you just need to appreciate the humor involved and imagine how hard it must be to come up with new stuff everyweek?
  • Currently they are in a slump, but SNL can be pure gold.

Saturday Night Live has been down in the dumps before, but right now is probably one of the worst casts I have ever seen. Over the past 26 years or so Saturday Night Live has had terrible casts but it has also had wonderful casts which have included Chris Farley, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphey, Phil Hartmen, Mike Myres, Dana Carvey, Will Ferrell, Molly Shannon, Tim Meadows, John Bullushi, and Cheri Oteri.

Saturday Night Live is a series of skits that have always gone from great to bad. If you watch this show I recommend watching the first 3 or 4 skits and then go to bed. Usually the last half of the show is not that funny. Hopefully SNL can get out of their current slump soon and get back into action with some new talent. If you are a fan of comedy then you will enjoy this show.
  • The only shows meant to stay on since the 70's are news shows and entertainment shows. Its time for this show to go. Its not even funny, its a complete waste of valuable comedy time.

3.2
    Why is this show still on the air? Its time for it to go. I can't even sit through the beginning, I jsut end up turning back to MadTV. The only thing I like about SNL is Weekend Update which makes fun of people. Thats what people like today, celebs being made fun of. Not that other stuff SNL is trying to be funny with. I think they even the that Ashlee Simpson thing on purpose.
  • I still watch it every week hoping some season it will find a savior.

I wish I was old enough to have witnessed SNL in its prime. I used to watch comedy central to get my fix of the older episodes, but now their only on every once in a while on E. The best comedian recently was Ferrell. Ferrell was the last remaining hope. Once he left there was really no stand-out performer. Fallen was probably the best of the recent performers and he's gone. Don't get me wrong, the show is not unbearable. It's still a funny show with great guests, but you just can't help but think about the good old days.
  • What happened? They ran out of ideas! They get lamer and lamer every year!

3.4
    Back in the days before now, SNL had even better ideas than this. And what happened to those old actors? I mean, they keep changing every year. Each year, they get more boring then ever. I mean, they're doing sketches of shows -- that aren't what we normally watch. Bring back all the "Hardball", and the funny "Political" intros... bring back all the popular show skits, bring back all the hottest hosts! It's nothing without them either. That's how the show gets hot. Get more good ideas!!!!! They have to get better ideas than this, or they can kiss those good ratings goodbye!
  • SNL and Celebrity Jeopardy is the funniest thing EVER!!! 10/10

Will Ferrel has to handle bunch of idiots who never answer his questions right. Guess who plays for charity? Sean Connery (my fav-he is da best!!!) Burt Reynolds (2nd best) Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Bjork ... They are not real, but comedians know how to make them look/sound real :) For example-Tom Cruise and his psychotic laugh!!! I don't wanna spoil anything, but if You have chance-take a look. 'Sean' is worth it ;)
  • i hate this show, i wish it would die. youve had ur run since i dont know, a long time. now get rid of it

wtf, this show is a waste of time and it sucks soo bad. i mean they're not even funny. they mess up on their news sketch by laughing and then wen they have a decent joke, they kill it! the only time its worth watching is for maybe the celebrity guests or the guest singers. mad tv has totally killed this show. dont watch it, please,it would be better to put news in their place. i give it a rating of 1 cuz of their guest singers and celebs.
  • Complete garbage

As everyone knows this show Was at one time funny. Now the entire cast and the writers especially have disgraced the SNL name. I will try my hardest to watch it, but it is pretty much torture ill watch a whole episode and not even crack a smile. Its painfull garbage. I would say that they need to let the show just die. But that would leave fans with a very sour taste left in their mouths.
  • By calling this a classic i am at the same time insulting thsi show and it's crappy new seasons.

An old classic with greats such as Dana Carvey, Will Farrell, and Molly Shannon. Now the show is left without anyone to really carry it. I mean they even had Jimmy Fallon for awhile who was crappy becuz he laughed at all the bits while he was in em, but at least he carried the show a little. Plus him and Horatio Sanz played off of each other very well. Without Fallon the show truly fell apart. The last truly great sketch was the Turkish Television one. That was fu**ing hilarious. What this show needs? A well known or very talented comic with their own style to carry the show.
  • Each Saturday night a celebrity and a singer comes in to perform short skits that are usually very funny.

The show is very funny. Even though some skits get me annoyed, i still like it. It is a 'pick me up' show and anyone who is mad or sad and sees it, unless it is not making fun of something that happened to you, will feel much better about their situation. My favorite part of the show is the performing guest and the host's introduction to the show. Very funny
  • SNL is the best sketch comedy show on tv.

There is a reason SNL is still on the after so many years, it is still hillarious. SNL has something MadTV doesn't have, new material,(not to mention more veiwers). The only reason MadTV is on tv still is because FOX wants to have a rip-off show of SNL to compete with NBC on Saturday nights. And it's Terrible. There isn't much to say about SNL, only that it is an excellent show and will be on for generations and generations to come. New cast members keep SNL fresh and updated, unlike MadTV which keeps its members a few years too long. SNL = Good. MadTV = Bad.
  • SNL is a weekly sketch comedy show on NBC that started the careers of many brilliant comic actors, such as Bill Murray, Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Phil Hartman, and Adam Sandler, just to name a few, with some of its sketch chara

"Saturday Night Live" was definitely ahead of its time when it debuted 30 years ago. The show has had many ups and downs as the years have past, but has recently really taken a turn for the worst. "SNL" has always depended on great writers as well as great actors for the show to be a success, and now most of them have moved on to other ventures leaving the current cast floundering in their wake. Not to say that the current cast (which includes Tina Fey, Chris Parnell, Horatio Sanz, Keanan Thompson and Maya Rudolph) aren't great writers and actors--they try their hardest--but the show has simply run its course. Thirty years is an extremely good run for a sketch comedy show, but now it's probably best to close the curtain lest the show go further down its spiral into oblivion. Most of its best sketches are available on DVD as part of showcases for some of the more popular actors that have been on the show and are definitely worth checking out, as are the reruns on E!. One of the worst moves for the show was to move the reruns from Comedy Central (where they played at least 4 times a day) to E! (where they run only 1-2 times a day). "Saturday Night Live" was great while it lasted and made the careers of many talented actors in its 30-year run, but its time for the curtain to close before the good memories from past years' shows are stained with the feeble attempts from the current seasons.
  • Don't deny it. After 30 years, they'll still running strong.

Saturday Night Live has just finished it's 30th season. And I still find it entertaining. True, they do have some flopped sketches now and then, usually with Fred Armisen, but it still is good.

Personally, the best part is Weekend Update. Many people agree with me. It's the central part of the show, and it's the part that has stayed with us for so long.
  • When you think of comedy, you think of SNL. A comedy sketch show that created bonified superstar that has lasted over 30 years. From Dan Akroyd to Will Ferrell, this show carries nothing but the best comedians. This show has last through many competetors

7.3
    This show use to funny. The problem with the show is there aren't any stars. In the past there were Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, and Dan Akroyd. Now there's Tina Fey and Kenan Thompson who isn't as funny as he was when I was a 11.
  • They need to get funny people back on the show

0.4
    SNL has had slumps before like the Anthony Micheal Hall days, but even those were funnier than now. They need Comedians like John Belushi, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Adam Sandler, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy (when he was funny) Chris Rock, Chris Farley (when he was alive) a variety, not really long skits that aren't funny, you get like 3 skits so if one goes bad then the show sucks. They used to have several skits, os if one went back they could pull out of it, with another skit. The news people laugh at their jokes more than the audience. They have a few funny skits sometimes, I'm just lucky that when I'm at the bar the sound is off, and it makes it more barable to watch.
  • SNL has lost its edge and humor.

Watching SNL these last few years, I have come to appreciate the earlier years with Sandler, Farley, Ferrell, Kattan and even Fallon with his constant laughter. I miss Opera Man, the Spartan cheerleaders, Mr. Peepers, Mango, Jeopardy, and Sandler and Fallon\'s endless number of song parodies. I watch it now and I find myself not laughing throughout the entire show. Granted Myers and Forte can provide a smile every now and then, but it\'s not worth my time just to watch one or two skits. Come on SNL, find a good host and find someone who is FUNNY!!!!
  • The worst sketch show on tv.

SNL consists of bad actors, bad storylines, bad jokes. It used to be ok. I can watching a full episode of the reruns, but I can't bring myself to watch one of the newer ones. It annoys me so much how the actors and actress spend the whole time on stage reading from a teleprompter! They never look at each other its always staring at you. Can't they remember there lines. Its not like its on everyday, they have time to do some memorizing. They don't have any memorable characters anymore either. They used to have the cheerleaders, and the church people. Ya know reaccuring funny characters. But they have gone to far down for that.
  • it rocks

Saturday Night Live is a great show. It rocks. There are so many good comedains and all the skits are hilarious. There has been some great comedains that have came from and gone on to do many funny things. It is very much unapprecaited by those with no sense of humor. Live From New York it's Saturday Night
  • This show was originally made in the 70's. However after a decline in the early 80's this sketch comedy show was saved by Eddie Murphy. In the 90's the show had perhaps the most talented ensamble of characters. A show once famous, this show has lost a lot

It's so bad to watch. You expect celebrities to go on Leno, or Oprah but to go on Saturday Night Live is a total waste. It wasn't as good as it was in the 70's, nor the 80's with Eddie Murphy. It isn't as good as the 90's with Sandler, Rock, Farley, Spade, Carvey, Myers. Ever since the mid 90's the show's real breakout star was Will Ferrell. It's just not funny, and the jokes fall apart. There doing so bad they got Kenan from Kenan and Kel! Celebrities should have more sense. They should realize the only reason people watch is because of them.
  • why oh why must i eaven try.

I love this show! I've only been watching it since about 1993, so I only saw 38% of the total show. I don't really care for the old stuff, because the recent is too funny. This show is often compared to Mad TV, which I don't think is all that great. My favorite sketches are any of the commercials. They are the best part, esp. the recent "Gap Fat" commercial ( I laughed for about a half hour ), and other memorable ones like Lemon Glow, and Oops! I Crapped My Pants. My favorite Saturday TV Funhouse cartoon ( and prob. someone else's ) the Christmas cartoon one. I can't say too much else, other than keep up the good work and I hope SNL go on for another 25 years.
  • SNL is a great sketch show. It did to TV what MAD Magazine did to magazines. It\'s underapreciated now, though.

I am frustrated with how NBC isn\'t letting Comedy Central show SNL anymore. We are now stuck with MADtv, which doesn\'t even have any established skits or clean humor. And we have that ripoff of MADtv, Stella. And we have Chapelle\'s Show, which really isn\'t funny.

NBC, please let Comedy Central air SNL again. I\'m missing my daily fix of the Schoolgirl, Spartan Pride, and other established skits. This one is a definate 10 out of 10.
  • The ultimate definition of hit-or-miss comedy.

I like comedy as much as anyone else out here, but even I know that it can be hard to write something funny and memorable. The Saturday Night Live people know this, yet it sometimes seems that they can't tell the difference between what's good and bad.

Now, there were some good things on the show, especially around its early days. Then again, they had more ideas to work with because the show was just a relatively new concept. There have been some good people to come from the show as well - John Belushi, Chevy Chase and Phil Hartman are the type of actors who are just more likable and can really perform to their liking. But there are more rotten apples than good stars - do names like Joe Piscopo, Mary Gross, Chris Kattan, Rachel Dratch and Robert Downey Jr. ring a bell?

And while there have been some good recurring sketches - Coffee Talk, Samurai (profession), Celebrity Jeopardy - there are more bad ones than good. Like the Whiners or Mango or....whatever those sketches with those Bostonians are called, you know the ones that star Jimmy Fallon?

Today when I record an episode of the show it takes about twenty minutes to watch - and that's usually if there's a good musicial performer! Let's face it, the people have run out of ideas and will probably never get the full glory of the early days. Let's put this show to bed.
  • WOW!

"Live from New York, It's Saturday Night!" is the way the show has started for more than 30 years now. This show is one of the most funnist shows ever made. I think more famous people got their start on Saturday Night Live than any other show ever made. The show can make anyone laugh, from old to young. I think everyone that has watched SNL just once, has had a laugh or two. They show is great because you can watch it with you mother and grand mother, and everyone would find it funny. Yes there are some episodes that are funnier than others, but most are really good.
5 6 7 8 9 10 11