Saturday Night Live

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBC Premiered Oct 11, 1975 In Season

HelloStuart

Saturday Night Live Fan Reviews (232)

• Back in the 70's and 80's SNL was an instant hit. Everyone of all ages loved it. There are still a lot of fans but it's not al good as then. There are some episodes that are great but some episodes are boring because they have bad hosts.

Saturday Night Live (snl) is one of those shows that everyone knows about. A lot of famous actors started on SNL like my hero Conan O'brien (read my review of his show) and Ben Stiller. Some episodes of snl are a little bit boring nowadays but all of them have some good and creative sketches. My personal favorite episode in recent times was the one with Paris Hilton as host. I never knew Paris Hilton was such a good actress. She was phenominal in that episode. Some sketches are a series that are in a lot of episodes like "gays in space" or "Merv the Perv" but most are just a one time thing. If there is an acter of actress you really like you should buy the "best of" dvds. Some good ones are best of Adam Sandler and best of Will Ferrel. Even nowdays Will Ferrel is on SNL often. Overall snl is a great show that you should watch every saturday night.
  • SNL used to be funny.

I grew up watching SNL in the 80's and 90's. I looked forward to SNL every Saturday night and if I were going out, I was sure to set my VCR to tape the episode. I loved it. Unfortunately I don't think I've laughed at a skit since the infamous Cowbell episode. I can't even bear to watch it any more. Debbie Downer is a pretty good skit but that's all I can bear to watch. The show is not what it once was. It's like watching the Jay Leno show when he sits around kissing celebrity's butts. Pathetic. So lily white. They need to demolish the entire show and start from scratch. No edginess whatsoever.
  • Skits

Its always funny to watch. If you try to turn it off you turn it right back on. Most off the skits are funny and hilurous. Its a late night fix for anyone thats up. The cast is always great along with all of the skits. I think it wont last that much longer but hey, its a great show right now.
  • it's still funny

I think SNL is still funny I love watching the cast break (start to laugh while doing a skit) it's really funny. A lot of the old SNL cast members made it real big i.e Will Ferrell, Chris Farley (R.I.P), Billy Crystal & Adam Sandler just to name a few but now there's new talent thats just as good Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Horatio Sanz & Chris Parnell just to name a few but what I'm getting at is SNL isn't for everyone if you like it then watch it and tell your friends & if you don't like it the stop bitching and switch the channel
  • A show that was once king and now is the worst thing i've ever seen. (i gave it a 5.0 because at one time it was good)

This show has really gone down the drain. The only good skit is the first one then they all get worse. Also the skits are just immuture and not funny (trust me i like immiture stuff but this is just crap). I just hope that some good people can get on the showe and bring it up to the quality that it use to be.
  • Still a Great Show.

SNL is still a great show. Some nights it does suck a bit. This is probably due to the writing. I think that the main problem is the fact that they seem to get terrible guest hosts nowdays. If they can get some better hosts and do a little bit better job at writing, this show can be as good as it used to be.
  • Say what you will about the current show, but you'd have to be crazy to not love the SNL of years past.

I might be a little biased here because I'm obsessed with the show, so I might be in denial about the state of the show nowadays. However, that being said, I don't think it's as bad as everyone says it is. Sure, Weekend Update is terrible now that Jimmy Fallon is gone(or maybe I should say now that Amy Poehler is a co-anchor?), but this year's political sketches were very good in my opinion. This new era of SNL that we seem to be entering is the reason I didn't give the show a 10. No one can deny that SNL is a classic show. Who knows? Maybe this era will eventually be regarded in higher esteem. After all, the Sandler/Spade/Rock era was originally criticized for being too blue, but now everyone loves it. I'm rooting for Lorne and the cast to get past this tough year and produce a great season next year.
  • STILL FUNNY!

Despite the fact what some fans say Saturday Night Live is still funny if it wasn't funny it wouldn't have made this far and plus us fans still have former cast memebers to return for other episodes so you fans who say its not funny just get off this page!
  • Can it get any worse? This show used to be great back in the day, and Ferrell and McDonald kept it going, but that was then, this is now. And the now is terrible.

5.2
    This used to be something I looked forward to every weekend. From the 80's to even Norm Mcdonald's weekend update, I loved this show. Will Ferrell's Jeopardy skits were one of a kind as well, but now all those classic and hillarious actors of the past and even the recent ones such as Mcdonald and Ferrell are gone and the show has never looked back. Why has it never looked back? Because it's hard to look back when you are plummeting to the ground at an alarming rate. This show has become just plain terrible. The writers are...dare I say, not funny. And don't even get me started on the present Weekend update with Tina Fey, ya there's a waste of 5 minutes of my life whenever I watch it. The one thing I will say though, when Will Ferrell hosted a few weeks ago, it brought back memories of the good ole days. Yet alas, he has gone again and so should the show.

My final review: A terrible reflection of the shows glory days. However if you are lucky enough to watch older episodes I must say those are very good and are definately worth watching.
  • What Happend?

This show when I was younger would make me go to be earlier so I could get up late at night just in time to watch it. Now it's taking up airtime for some other show could be use. I just what for the musical acts and sometimes they aren't up to par either. The bright spot for the show now to me is TV Funhouse. What a shame, people recgonize the show for 30 second bit than a 90 minute past it prime legend.
  • Will Ferrell kept it alive last night, otherwise.... just not that funny.

6.1
    Okay show. It's going downhill quickly. The sketches are sometimes so unoriginal and sometimes I feel like I'm watching MAD TV (which is not that funny at all) Will Ferrell kept it alive last night. Otherwise this show needs big time help. Ahem Amy Poehler?? She's just not that funny sometimes.
  • I has it's ups and downs but it's still able to put a smile on my face. :)

Sure, most of the sketches and jokes don't work out but we have to remember that they are doing this live... in front of an audience.. LIVE!! My question is, how are they able to pull of a show without having something seriously wrong going on. Season 30 hasn't been their best season, though hopefully one of the cast memebers will take charge and lead the way. SNL usually works best when there is a break out star and that's what they need. It already has a very talented cast but there needs to be leader. When that's done, they can all finish on top.
  • SNL needs some good castmembers

SNL used to be the best. Whenever I see an old episode with Mike Myers, Chris Farley, Or Will Ferrell I laugh my ass off. now everyone sucks. I wouod much rather see a Mad tv episode then a new SNL one. I think if SNL wants to get out of this slump it needs better cast members. I mean Kenen was on all that the most unfunniest show ever for god's sake!
  • A cast of comedians act out satirical scenes concerning the world, politics, and pop culture.

This show reached its height when Will Ferell were on the show but once they left it started going down hill. But still, it's great and to be in the now and to do it so funny is awesome and I have to give it up to them because it ain't easy. Keep up the good work.
  • Great show nuff said.

Saturday Night Live is one of my favorite shows, it is extreemly funny and with some great jokes and culture references. My personal favorite cast members are Wll Ferrel, Mike Meyers, and Eddie Murphy and my favorite skits are Cowbell, Buckwheat, and Waynes World, none of those guys are still on but it's good still. 30 years and still in good shape (although it wasn't always good).
  • True its going down hill now but what about "Wayyyyy Back in the Day" when Steve Martin and Gilda Radner were on it

I used to only like the 90s and up as far as Saturday Night Live was concerned. You know Mike Meyers, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Chris Farley, Julia Sweeney, Molly Shannon, Victoria Jackson, Cheri Oteri, Dana Carvey, Chris Rock, Rob Schneider, Kevin Nealon, Will Ferrel, Darrell Hammond, Ana Gasteyer the gang you know.

I had seen the 1985 episode on E! where Pee Wee Herman hosted and i didnt find it funny so i stuck to the episodes and sketches i loved.

The other day however my mother bought the Best of Gilda Radner and made me watch it with her. It opened me up to embrace the earlier seasons. I mean Roseanne Rosannadanna? How could anyone not love that? I mean COME ON! Unfortunatly the only time we can now see the episodes from the 70\'s in at three o\'clock in the morning after the previous airing of Saturday Night Live. NBC should really start realeasing the season sets on DVD starting with the first season. The show saved the network, at least show it some respect.
  • I miss the old days

Back in the 80s/90s, SNL was funny. They had funny cast members like Adam Sandler, Crhis Rock, Tracey Morgan, Will Ferrell, Phil Hartman, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, etc. Now, it's a sad parody of itself. Every episode is lamer than the first. I have the old DVDs from back in the day when the sketches were funny. SNL needs some new writers fast!
  • used to be so great thats why i gave it a good grade

this show used to be so great and funny and create such great characters and make the careers of actors. The 90's were when it started going downhill. After Sandler and those guys left and Chris Farleys death the show began to suck. Katan Morgan and Ferrel kept it going but after they left it went into the ground. The new episodes are really bad. I only watch when i like the host like tom brady even tho that episode really sucked i might not ecen watch next season at all. It has to be canceled or get someone. the only episode i liked last year was will ferrels because he is so great. The jeopary parody is great. Ill take Jap Anus Relations.
  • Another classic show on life support.

This is a very difficult show to review, due to the inherent nature of SNL. It has existed for 30 years in one form or another, and is notoriously cyclical.
    It has featured some of the finest comedic performers of the modern era: Bill Murray, John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy, Phil Hartman, Chris Rock (who was never properly used on the show), Dennis Miller, Chris Farley, Mike Meyers, Will Ferrell, and even featured such talents as Conan O'Brien, Julia Louis Dreyfus, and Larry David, in addition to so many more who passed throught he revolving door cast. The incredible, edgy original cast created a legacy, and the show was almost destroyed numerous times due to the monumental pressure that a subpar cast just could not live up to.

This seems to be the current situation: to say the cast is "weak" is a vast understatement. They lack a star, someone the show can always get a laugh from, since Will Ferrell wisely decided to leave, and they are plagued by aging hangers-on, comedians who cannot give up the ghost and will not leave (Darrel Hammond, as much as I love him, needs to leave the show). The writing has become terrible, they lack the classic pre-filmed commercial parodies and other short segments, and their recurring characters are only slightly less painful than having a root canal without novocaine.

However, I'm compelled to give it an 8.2 as the early shows are still some of the funniest sketches ever seen on television: Coneheads, Roseanne Rosanna Danna, the Samurai Chef, Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, the TV Funhouse segments by the twisted Robert Smiegel, Matt Foley, the incredible Jeopardy parodies, there are so many amazing moments that it would require a far greater space to detail them all.

Hopefully, the show will one day be able to reclaim its former glorious reputation, but unless the cast and writing staff are completely redone their is little hope of this.
  • Wasn't always a bad show.

It used to be a good show. But now it\'s too old to even be decent. I\'d rather watch MadTv on Saturday nights now, not that I didn\'t in the first place.

In the words of Stewie: Damn it! I want pancakes! God! You people understand every language except English. Yo quiero pancakes. Donnez-moi pancakes. Click-click-bloody click pancakes!
  • Live From New York

If I had to name shows I wouldn't mind watching in a 48 hour marathon, my only nitpick about Saturday Night Live would be that a lot of good episodes would be left out. But, that's probably common in a show that's been running for 30 years. This is a show that, through ups and downs, produced many of the current TV and movie stars. Many popular catchphrases come from the recurrring characters of Saturday Night Live. Most stars of film, TV, and sports have hosted the show, and many chart-topping artists and bands have been musical guests in the show. The show is live, unique in comedy and is very groundbreaking.
  • WOW!

"Live from New York, It's Saturday Night!" is the way the show has started for more than 30 years now. This show is one of the most funnist shows ever made. I think more famous people got their start on Saturday Night Live than any other show ever made. The show can make anyone laugh, from old to young. I think everyone that has watched SNL just once, has had a laugh or two. They show is great because you can watch it with you mother and grand mother, and everyone would find it funny. Yes there are some episodes that are funnier than others, but most are really good.
  • The ultimate definition of hit-or-miss comedy.

I like comedy as much as anyone else out here, but even I know that it can be hard to write something funny and memorable. The Saturday Night Live people know this, yet it sometimes seems that they can't tell the difference between what's good and bad.

Now, there were some good things on the show, especially around its early days. Then again, they had more ideas to work with because the show was just a relatively new concept. There have been some good people to come from the show as well - John Belushi, Chevy Chase and Phil Hartman are the type of actors who are just more likable and can really perform to their liking. But there are more rotten apples than good stars - do names like Joe Piscopo, Mary Gross, Chris Kattan, Rachel Dratch and Robert Downey Jr. ring a bell?

And while there have been some good recurring sketches - Coffee Talk, Samurai (profession), Celebrity Jeopardy - there are more bad ones than good. Like the Whiners or Mango or....whatever those sketches with those Bostonians are called, you know the ones that star Jimmy Fallon?

Today when I record an episode of the show it takes about twenty minutes to watch - and that's usually if there's a good musicial performer! Let's face it, the people have run out of ideas and will probably never get the full glory of the early days. Let's put this show to bed.
  • SNL is a great sketch show. It did to TV what MAD Magazine did to magazines. It\'s underapreciated now, though.

I am frustrated with how NBC isn\'t letting Comedy Central show SNL anymore. We are now stuck with MADtv, which doesn\'t even have any established skits or clean humor. And we have that ripoff of MADtv, Stella. And we have Chapelle\'s Show, which really isn\'t funny.

NBC, please let Comedy Central air SNL again. I\'m missing my daily fix of the Schoolgirl, Spartan Pride, and other established skits. This one is a definate 10 out of 10.
  • why oh why must i eaven try.

I love this show! I've only been watching it since about 1993, so I only saw 38% of the total show. I don't really care for the old stuff, because the recent is too funny. This show is often compared to Mad TV, which I don't think is all that great. My favorite sketches are any of the commercials. They are the best part, esp. the recent "Gap Fat" commercial ( I laughed for about a half hour ), and other memorable ones like Lemon Glow, and Oops! I Crapped My Pants. My favorite Saturday TV Funhouse cartoon ( and prob. someone else's ) the Christmas cartoon one. I can't say too much else, other than keep up the good work and I hope SNL go on for another 25 years.
  • This show was originally made in the 70's. However after a decline in the early 80's this sketch comedy show was saved by Eddie Murphy. In the 90's the show had perhaps the most talented ensamble of characters. A show once famous, this show has lost a lot

It's so bad to watch. You expect celebrities to go on Leno, or Oprah but to go on Saturday Night Live is a total waste. It wasn't as good as it was in the 70's, nor the 80's with Eddie Murphy. It isn't as good as the 90's with Sandler, Rock, Farley, Spade, Carvey, Myers. Ever since the mid 90's the show's real breakout star was Will Ferrell. It's just not funny, and the jokes fall apart. There doing so bad they got Kenan from Kenan and Kel! Celebrities should have more sense. They should realize the only reason people watch is because of them.
  • it rocks

Saturday Night Live is a great show. It rocks. There are so many good comedains and all the skits are hilarious. There has been some great comedains that have came from and gone on to do many funny things. It is very much unapprecaited by those with no sense of humor. Live From New York it's Saturday Night
  • The worst sketch show on tv.

SNL consists of bad actors, bad storylines, bad jokes. It used to be ok. I can watching a full episode of the reruns, but I can't bring myself to watch one of the newer ones. It annoys me so much how the actors and actress spend the whole time on stage reading from a teleprompter! They never look at each other its always staring at you. Can't they remember there lines. Its not like its on everyday, they have time to do some memorizing. They don't have any memorable characters anymore either. They used to have the cheerleaders, and the church people. Ya know reaccuring funny characters. But they have gone to far down for that.
  • SNL has lost its edge and humor.

Watching SNL these last few years, I have come to appreciate the earlier years with Sandler, Farley, Ferrell, Kattan and even Fallon with his constant laughter. I miss Opera Man, the Spartan cheerleaders, Mr. Peepers, Mango, Jeopardy, and Sandler and Fallon\'s endless number of song parodies. I watch it now and I find myself not laughing throughout the entire show. Granted Myers and Forte can provide a smile every now and then, but it\'s not worth my time just to watch one or two skits. Come on SNL, find a good host and find someone who is FUNNY!!!!
  • They need to get funny people back on the show

0.4
    SNL has had slumps before like the Anthony Micheal Hall days, but even those were funnier than now. They need Comedians like John Belushi, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Adam Sandler, Gilda Radner, Eddie Murphy (when he was funny) Chris Rock, Chris Farley (when he was alive) a variety, not really long skits that aren't funny, you get like 3 skits so if one goes bad then the show sucks. They used to have several skits, os if one went back they could pull out of it, with another skit. The news people laugh at their jokes more than the audience. They have a few funny skits sometimes, I'm just lucky that when I'm at the bar the sound is off, and it makes it more barable to watch.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8