Saturday Night Live

Rick Nelson/Judy Collins

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Feb 17, 1979 on NBC

• "Tuna flavored gum"

'50s pop icon Rick Nelson hosts and performs, while country crooner Judy Collins performs.

Cold Open- WGN Radio: Dick Lanky (Bill) and Todd Sweeney (Aykroyd) broadcast news on their radio program. I guess if I live in Chicago in the late 1970s I would get this, since I didn't…

Monologue- Rick comes out, thanks the audience then immediately goes into a trio of his Rockabilly hits from the past – "Hello, Mary Lou", "Travelin' Man", and "Fools Rush In". Nice

Twilight Zone- While returning home, Rick finds himself trapped in a series of '50s TV show, "Leave it to Beaver", "Father Know's Best", "Make Room For Daddy", and "I Love Lucy"; all with running commentary by Rod Sterling, George Burns, and Alfred Hitchcock (all gloriously played with different costumes by Aykroyd). Spectacular, especially the costume changes of Aykroyd and dead on impressions of Sterling, Burns and Hitchcock.

Rock Against Yeast- A benefit concert to eradicated yeast infection features a slew of celebrities and a hard rocking performance of "Gimme Mick" by Candy Slice. This sketch was okay but the Candy Slice performance was the real treat.

Weekend Update with Jane Curtain and Bill Murray- Chico Escuela (Garrett) announces his return to baseball and a Point/Counterpoint between Aykroyd and Curtin on cocaine. Great as usual.

Quien es Mas Macho- a Spanish game show asks which actor is more macho, in the midst of this, Eliot Ness (a fantastic impression by Aykroyd) busts in and raids the place of illegal immigrants. What's most funny is that the entire sketch is done in Spanish and it never strays from that. Good twist at the end as well.

Judy Collins performs the auspiciously bland AOR of "Hard Time for Lovers." Indeed. Rick speaks for Helium- Rick says lighten an emotional topic with Helium. Silly. D & R Men's Stylists- The dying mall from the Fred Willard broadcast showcases another sad tale; this time, a barber shop holds steady as the workers hope for the best in the midst of poor sales. The second in a series of four Don Novello-penned sketches that went for the dramatic instead of big laughs. I think it paid off. Picasso: The New York Years (film) – Writer Tom Schiller profiles Pablo Picasso's nine year stay in New York City in the 1930s and early 1940s. I'm sure Schiller is a big Picasso fan and this would be interesting subject, however for this show its filler .

Rick performs the doo wop of "Dream Lover"

A solid show from an unlikely source. Rick showed energy and that's good enough for me. 8/10
  • This is one of the great surprises of the first five years of the original cast. Great music by Rick Nelson (four songs) and one of the all time best skits. Twilight Zone with Rick parodying himself entering 50's TV sitcom hell. Don't miss it!

One of the best from the first 5 years of this show. Rick Nelson is GREAT as a host and musical act. "Hello Mary Lou", "Travelin' Man" and "Fools Rush In" are some of the best songs ever performed on the show. "Dream Lover" is a song that should have been a hit. Judy Collins disappointed and sang out of tune. Some great comedy sketches, especially the "Twilight Zone" skit. "Say It With Helium" is a great comedy commercial. "Rock Stars Against Yeast" with Candy Slice performing is hilarious. Don't miss this one its a classic!!