Saturday Night Live

Rosario Dawson/Fleet Foxes

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Jan 17, 2009 on NBC

5.7
  • Without question the worst episode in recent years. Horrifyingly bad.

I don't really know much about Rosario Dawson. I had heard the name, but I couldn't have recalled a single credit of hers.

The opening was flat and never went anywhere. It was as though they wanted DH to have one last chance to do his great Dick Cheney. KW's Diane Sawyer was quite good, but the material didn't give her a chance to shine.

From then on the show went right downhill. The only times I was even mildly entertained were the Judy Grimes bit (this never gets old for me) and the digital photo of Obama.

There was way too much JS tonight. He simply cannot do impersonations. I had thought his Rod Blagojevich in recent weeks was dreadful; Blagojevich with a New-York-tough-guy accent? But his Harry Connick Jr. was even worse. What was the relevance of a bad Harry Connick Jr. impression, especially if he didn't even sing?

The Aladdin thing did nothing for me, and once again, JS. I ff'd through this just because I was tired of looking at him and enduring his blah performances in sketch after sketch.

The digital short was the worst I've ever seen. Period. Just embarrassingly bad.

I'm normally a big KW fan, but what the hell was that Gilley thing? Painfully unfunny. And did anyone else notice that she was using her Suze Ormond voice when saying, "Sorry." ?

The Spanish cop show had some cuteness to it, but the story never really went anywhere.

One of the biggest weaknesses in recent seasons has been the lack of recurring characters that: a. are really entertaining, b. can sustain in different sketches, and c. are memorable and funny. This makes for huge inconsistencies from week to week. Had the Gilley sketch received a better audience response, would we then be forced to see Gilley on a field trip in a couple weeks? Please, no.

We can only hope for something more entertaining in coming weeks. The good news is that there's nowhere for the show to go but up.