Saturday Night Live

The Best of Christopher Walken

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Sep 07, 2004 on NBC

• 80 people can't be wrong

A Review by the Former "Heystu," Amateur Critic and League Leader in Balks

I'm not going to trim the meat here, Christopher Walken is, simply put, "da man." In his six hosting appearances from 1990 to 2003, the star of "The Deer Hunter," "True Romance," etc. proved himself that for a heralded thespian he was fair game, portraying everything from a slimy though well-off skirtchaser to a Confederate General with an unfortunate name. Both of those characters are portrayed in this top-notch clip job from May 2004, and this greatest hits sampler of sorts also includes a "Mango" sketch from Season 26, "Census Taker" from Season 25, and the undeservedly forgotten "Boulevard of Broken Balls" from Season 18.

If I have one nitpick, it's that the special was not long enough to feature all of his greatest moments. His first appearance back in January 1990 is completely omitted, though his most memorable moments in that episode consisted entirely of a so-so James Bond spoof and the rough-draft debut appearance of the aforementioned Continental, whose later encounters were utterly sublime. Another memorable sketch that didn't make the cut was "Jenny Jones" from Season 25, which featured CW in a hilarious supporting role as a slang-spewing audience member.

For anyone who wants to read transcripts of past Walken episodes, I would suggest the SNL Transcripts (snltranscripts.jt.org). Even though it's free, it's worth the price of admission.

Have a great summer and see y'all in October!

Contact me at sma17kc@netscape.net
  • I gotta have more cowbell!

7.3
    That's all I can think of whenever I hear the names Christopher Walken and and Saturday Night Live together. It was so great watching the rest of the cast crack up as Christopher kept his complete calm. It made it all the more hilarious to watch. He was probably one of the best actors for a sketch comedy show like Saturday Night Live, master at keeping his composure.
  • Best Guest Host... Ever!

"I gotta have more cowbell" Comedy skits do not get any better than that. Christopher Walken and Will Ferrel were hilarious in the classic look at the making of Blue Oyster Cults "Don't Fear The Reaper". Absolutely no one else on the set could keep a straight face. Jimmy Fallon, Horatio Sanz, Chris Kattan, no one. Yet Walken played it straight face and to perfection. Overall he is very entertaining. From his dancing and singing to his falling in love with Mango. There are so many memorable moments that it was only appropriate that there be an entire episode (and of course DVD) dedicated to his best skits.