Saturday Night Live

Tom Hanks/Red Hot Chili Peppers

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM May 06, 2006 on NBC

7.9
  • Give it away, give it away, give it away now! Cause no one would buy this episode. Hell, they might as well keep this episode.

This week on SNL was 8 time host Tom Hanks with musical guest Red Hot Chili Peppers. Both were good, though Tom’s talent was with held due to what I call “crappy writing.” I don’t have much to say here, cept that I was looking forward to Tom, since he is the best host out of the last three. I’ll jump to it.

HOST:
    This week’s host is Academy Award winning actor Tom Hanks. He has hosted numerous times before this, each time having done a good job. And tonight was no difference. He appeared in every skit, and had a good monologue. Though in it you could see Rachel’s wire. But I loved the reference to his movie The Terminal, and why he made it. It was a good monologue, entertaining and funny. He did well, though had to hold some of it back due to the writing. It was good, but suddenly got not as great again. That is not a good sign. But Hanks overcame that, and proved his worthiness. A

MUSICAL GUEST:
    This week’s musical guest is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is not their first time, though they have not appeared with Hanks. I say that because they all seemed very close to him. I must admit, I did not watch their first performance. I haven’t heard the song, though the video looks cool. The song, "Dani California" has an 80’s themed video. Then they performed the great song “Give It Away.” I watched that. Awesome song. I’m not really a fan of the band, though they are talented and they did well. A-

THE SKITS:
    Cold Opening: Bill Frist's Gas Plan – I liked the Cheney reference in here, for being shot in the face. And Finesse was in it, though only in a walk on appearance. And did they have an NBC promo in here? Why do they keep talking about the hit NBC show “Deal or No Deal?” And why didn’t they look at each other when they were talking? This was like lost – raised more questions than in answered. Tom played Frist, with a crappy gas plan. I remember getting $120 in cash, a vacation, and some mop on it. The skit started a bit dumb, Forte wasn’t as great as Bush for some reason, but improved once Tom came on. A-

Wheel Of Fortune – How dumb are these people? And who played Vanna White? I didn’t recognize her. No one could solve the puzzle in it. Sadly, neither could I. I have never heard that phrase before. I liked the end, with” WE ARE HORSES!!!” But I had no idea that Pat hated the show so much. It was pretty good and had funny parts. B

Katlin & the Iguana – NO!!! Not this crappy skit! It was bad. It was dumb. It was annoying. Nothing new about it. Katlin is all excited about taking care of an iguana, and freaks out at the end. And Tom looked like he didn’t want to be in it. Hopefully, this is the last time I see it for a while. D-

Film Short: Ariell & Ephraim: Take off of Right Said Fred. The song was “Don’t Hurt My Testicles,” but if ya wanna do a take off of RSF, call it, “I’m Too Sexy For You To Hurt My Testicles.” It was funny. I liked it. Though it pry could have been better. B+

Ma! – So let me get this straight. At Universal Studios Theme Park, the pizza line is fast. The roller coaster line is fast. The ride is fast. But the line that they were waiting in goes like every other line. And the exit was like 20 feet from the ride. And what the hell was wrong with this mom? Why was she so messed up? My mom could easily find her way around a park, and a lot easier than I could. Now here is my comment – what the hell was this?! Could they not think of anything, ANYTHING, better? Tom and Fred look like they are middle aged kids for some reason too. Though Ma looked in her 50s. How high/drunk/screwed up was she? It was a waste. D+

Claremont Yoga Center – Not good at first, but it soon got better. Though it had a weak ending. Andy was in it too. He didn’t talk, but he looked good. That’s a plus to it. Tom was a disgustingly sweaty guy Rachel was paired up with. Too bad. I would have rushed to pair with Andy. B+

Colin’s Place – So this is what airs on C-SPAN when there is nothing on late, late, late night TV. It is a take off of “Sanford & Son.” And Condoleezza rice made an appearance. Oh, and Finesse was in it and was pretty good in it. One thought stuck with me though – Powell really let himself go. Wow, he drinks too much. This skit had what I like to call okay-funny moments. C+

Country Club Tennis – Okay, here’s my beef with this skit, besides all the disgusting multi arms on people. DO all rich dudes at country clubs sound like Thurston Howell III? This skit was just weird. Did someone right this when they were very tired or stoned cause it seemed that way? I’m not even sure what went on. I was lost after it started and they all sounded like they were trying out for a remake of “Gilligan’s Island.” C-

BEST MOMENT – I can’t think of one. Nothing impressed me enough. I was glad Andy was in it, but he wad bald, than quiet. Finesse was good. I liked Bill Hader as the creepy pale monk. I’d say that Tom’s monologue was the best thing of the night, if I had to choose, with the Chili Pepper’s 2nd performance as a close second.

WORST MOMENT – Katlin. Nough said.

SURPRISING MOMENT – I thought the skits would be better. It was a surprise that they weren’t that good.

SKIT AVERAGE – 2.4, C

SHOW RATING – 6.5/10 Sparkling Diamonds

Next week is Julia Louis Dreyphus with musical guest Paul Simon. Could care less about either. That’s why I don’t check the spelling. (Seriously, could they not find anyone, ANYONE else for a musical guest. I can name people more entertaining. He’s boring.)