Saturday Night Live

Weekend Update Thursday (2)

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Sep 24, 2009 on NBC

7.6
  • ... Flipping off the senators from NEW JERSEY!...

Here is our second Weekend Update Thursday out of possibly 9 WUTs this season! Last week's unofficial opener was an above average broadcast, with still more consistency to take care of. The Weekend Update Thursdays have usually been more hit than miss since it's debut last October, and I'm wondering if this week will be more the same.

Obama to Cable: This opener was a lot of fun, and it looked like the cast and writers probably had a lot of fun producing this. This was also Nasim's first sketch, and she did a hilarious Kathy Griffin impression. Other kudos go to Bobby's Guy Fieri, and Jason's Glenn Beck.

WUT Part 1: We started off Weekend Update with a few jokes and then Fred's hilarious David Patterson impression once again. The zingers were just as good as they've ever been, and after 4 Weekend Update appearances, this impression still has no sign of writing fatigue yet.

WUT Part 2: I'm not sure if the Rosie Perez/monkey guy phone call was in this part or not, but I give kudos to bringing back Amy's hilarious Perez impression while they still have her. Other kudos to the Bill Clinton commentary, and then the same for the Guiding Light spoof. The facial expressions were hilarious, and Bill Clinton appearing again was just the icing on the cake.

WUT Part 3: A few more jokes here, and then the Shep commentary, while, very funny, was a little drawn out, and made you think "Okay. I get it." but nonetheless, a good commentary.

This WUT special was the best out of all 5 so far (Yes, I'm comparing these to last year's set also). It felt like the writers finally got the feel on how to write these episodes. This half hour was fresh and fun, and it was nice seeing Nasim for the first time on the show.

A positive thing I've seen about Update since Seth took over solo is that when there is a slow week and jokes are harder to produce, more commentaries are put in, and they're usually funny. So, instead of going for jokes that really won't have a punch, they will try to write funny commentaries. I feel that it's working for SNL.

Tomorrow: The season officially starts with host Megan Fox and musical guest U2! I'm excited!