Saturday Night Live

Zach Braff/Maroon 5

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM May 19, 2007 on NBC

• Maya's swan song...

The season finale of the season arises. The host of this episode is a person who has been on the "People who should host SNL" list for a while now, Zach Braff. Maroon 5 is the musical guest. We can only hope that their performance this time is better than it was 3 years earlier.

Puppet Bush: George W. Bush tells us that he is going on vacation, and gives us the things that he's proved Americans wrong on, while Cheney supports him. Maya's Condoleezza Rice still manages to get out laughs. The fact that we've beat the dead horse on the gapped teeth thing was a little ridiculous.

Monologue: Zach sings about his home state, New Jersey. What more can I say? It's hard to make a musical monologue funny.

Puppy Love: This early in the show, we have our final digital short of season 32? I found this a little funny, and even though zoophilia is gross, the make-out made me laugh.

Prom Committee: Now, this sketch was gold. It was nice to fit the whole cast in the sketch, sans Seth. Everybody in this was talented. I enjoyed the bring-back of Sean Connery.

Deep House Dish: Oh my god, by the time this airing of the sketch made it on, I was ready to shoot the television screen. Yes, some musical performances were good on this, but what is the joke? This sketch had some of the most sorry writing in it.

Oprah Clean-up 2007: At the time, I didn't know who most of the presidential hopefuls were, but after November came and went, I had a picture. I had to say most of it was pretty funny.

Song Memories: The Rainn sketch of this was funny, and so was this version. All of their little one liner puns were getting funny. The "surprise" ending was stupid, though.

Weekend Update: I thought most of the jokes were good, while Aunt Linda's commentary was just like any other. The only liner I can give Aunty is "I give this movie an "Oh No you didn't!" and a "Di Jong!". Whitney Houston's appearance was almost a full confirmation that Maya Rudolph was leaving.

La Revista Della Televisione: Oye. I hurt when this sketch came on. But, I will say Vinnie's sketch was actually a tad better than Julia Louis-Dreyfus's version.

Bronx Beat: I'm going to admit it. I like Bronx Beat. I liked all the sketches. All 4. I'm truthful. Once again, this was like a huge-ass "We'll miss ya, Maya!".

Melissa: I thought this sketch was a little weak. Fred is a good cast member, but the flirting was just too strong. Like, the writers went way to obvious that Zach knew Melissa was flirting with him. It's hard to explain.

Tonight's episode evened out to a nice one. The annoyance of bringing back some of the most dead recurring segments (DHD, Vinnie) brought the show down, but Update, the Prom, the digital short, and Bronx Beat brought the show to a fair, decent broadcast.

Zach Braff really never brought his energy out, but was versatile for SNL. Maroon 5 was slightly better this time around. Their first song was pretty good, while their second one was nothing special. You can obviously tell Maya isn't returning for season 33.

And now, the season 32 low-down.

Best Update: Julia Louis-Dreyfus/Snow Patrol

3. Drew Barrymore/Lily Allen
    2. Molly Shannon/Linkin Park
    1. Alec Baldwin/Christina Aguilera

Thats it!

My Thoughts on Season 32: This was definitely a transitional season. The beginning of the season was somewhat groggy, and just awkward. But, as this season got going, this cast actually became a really tight cast. The smaller size, and the more professional attitude made this cast a favorite already. No Horatio laughing in every other sketch was relaxing. Sure, the season saw some pretty weak episodes, but for all those weak episodes, we saw great episodes. I definitely think that if this cast stays intact for next season (give or take Maya), we will see a good, more consistent season.

That's the season. Next week is a repeat of the Jaime Pressley/Corinne Bailey Rae episode...... well, Corinne Bailey Rae was good.
COMEDY