Saturday Night Live

Zach Galifianakis/Vampire Weekend

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Mar 06, 2010 on NBC

7.4
  • That was not very Raven..

Tonight's host is Zach Galifianakis, who has become into the mainstream comedy since his big movie, The Hangover, back in summer 2009. He is always playing some character that he says is him, somewhat like Stephen Colbert. It should be good. I'm also very happy to see Vampire Weekend on again. Their sophomore album "Contra" is very good, just like their debut self-titled album.

Health Care Reform: This wasn't the opening I wanted for Zach's show. Nothing too special. I'm kind of getting really sick of Fred's Obama, and I'd like to see others take up on the Obama.

Monologue: This was, by far, the best monologue of the season. It was a real monologue. I think this is one of the most bizarre, funniest monologues I've seen since I've watched SNL.

Vogelchecks: I really don't like these characters. The "irony" of same-sex make-outs, our whatever they go for, is gone. It's just not surprising, nor funny.

Bidet: This was a decent sketch, but nothing too funny. So far, the episode is kind of being a let-down with a host like Zach, who has already proven himself in his monologue.

Zach On Screen: This was a hilarious digital short. Zach appearing in all these shows were hilarious.

Today Show: I'm not too much of a fan of this sketch continuing since Michaela left, but, I've already stated that, I think. Anyways, this sketch was better than the disastrous January Jones plug. I enjoyed Abby being that random computer chick that always shows them facebook stuff. Anyways, when Zach appeared again, it was hilarious. I like the tie-ins between taped stuff and live sketches that SNL has been doing lately, such as back in the Jon Hamm episode.

Musical Performance: Vampire Weekend performs "Cousins" which is a really good song. The percussion part is nearly impossible, if you listen to it closely, by the way.

Weekend Update: It was pretty decent tonight. Kenan's commentary as Mo'Nique was alright. And Will's song was probably weaker compared to his other songs he's done on Update, but it was still good.

Whats Up With That: This kind of redeemed the phoned in Christmas version of this sketch. Paul Rudd was a pleasant surprise, and whoever the columnist was was a surprise too (?) ... but, yes, I still don't mind this sketch.

The Situation Room: This sketch was pretty funny. It made a good point on the technical gaffes that could be completely avoidable in these live news shows.

Musical Performance: Vampire Weekend performs "Giving Up The Gun" which is my favorite song from "Contra". A very good performance.

Pageant Talk: Firstly, I noticed Zach shaved his beard?? Anyways, this sketch was so bizarre, yet so freakin hilarious. Jenny's brain-washed pageant girl had me laughing out loud. One thing I noticed, though, is the same character that Kristen Wiig played in the season premiere??? I don't even know why they copied and pasted that. It was weird. But, man, this was the kind of sketch I wanted SNL to use more of tonight, with such an out there host such as Zach Galifianakis.

I feel like they under-used Zach Galifianakis. It was still an enjoyable show, and I had a lot of fun watching it. I'm giving this episode the benefit of the doubt, and rating it as a good show. I've been generous, giving this show and last week's show the benifit of the doubt. But, SNL really has to stop the heavy reliance on recurring characters. Anyways, Vampire Weekend rocked. No disappointment there. And, so did Zach.

I really mean it though about the recurring issue. I hope SNL doesn't keep this trend going. They're getting worse and worse at copying and pasting sketches used before. They only change the settings, and slightly alter the joke set-ups.

Next week: Jude Law hosts with musical guest Pearl Jam.