Saved by the Bell

Drinking and Driving

Aired Saturday 11:00 AM Oct 10, 1992 on NBC

• An accident drives home the consequences of DUI...and then an ill-fated cover-up drives home a whole lot more.

While this episode's intentions couldn't be better, the handling leaves a lot to be desired. It's never quite clear as to whether the gang's parents are more furious about having been lied to, or about their kids' trying to drive while drunk. (Perhaps a better title for the episode would have been "DUI Aggravation.") Worst of all is the anti-climactic wrap-up: Imagine, Zack has finally come clean about what he did, shown his willingness to undo the damage...and what happens? Derek Morris rubs his son's nose in the stupidity of the incident, and in the fact that Zack could have killed himself or somebody else. Then he throws Zack's keys and license in the garbage, and marches him into the house like a Jew headed for some concentration camp. Bet Zack's sure glad he owned up to THIS guy; it's a wonder Derek didn't think to have his son arrested, while he was at it. This final scene would have worked just fine in the MIDDLE of the episode; perhaps, if Zack and Company had confessed then and there, all would have been forgiven. However, here at the END, all it does is beat us over our heads with the same moral it's already outlined. Saved By the Bell is a thirty-minute show; if we have not established within the first twenty-nine of those minutes that driving while intoxicated is crazy and uncool, then Houston, we have a major problem.