Saved by the Bell Forums

NBC (ended 1993)

What happened to Kelly & Jessie in Season 5?

orangeluver101

[1]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 17
    Does anyone know what happened to Kelly & Jessie in Season 5?  They are on the DVD Box Set cover but are not in most episodes, that I've watched so far.  If anyone knows, please let me know.  Its been driving me nuts.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dmluciano

[2]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 12
    If you read the full summary it says and I quote "in midseason 5  they introduced a new character named Tori this is because both the actrocess left the show"

chartah

[3]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 21
    It was weird. Halfway through season 5 Kelly and Jessie disappeared and Tori became an a official castmember. However, towards the end of the season, during and after graduation Kelly and Jessie were back, and Tori was never mentioned again. Shouldn't she also graduate at the same time as the others?

shelley06

[5]Jan 3, 2007
    I've read a few sources on this issue--one is right here @ TV.com....the Graduation episode (and I think another one or two episodes) were filmed ahead of time, because both actors knew they would be leaving the show. Both actresses wanted to move on to other things, and I *believe* Saved by the Bell was supposedly cancelled for the time being, but then when it was renewed, the girls were involved in other projects. So there sudden reappearance was really because those episodes were already filmed.

chartah

[6]Jan 3, 2007
    If both Tiffani-Amber Thiessen and Elisabeth Berkley left the show, why did Thiessen also join the cast of Saved By The Bell: The College Years for the one season it ran? Also, in the series finale: Wedding in Las Vegas Berkley also reprised her role as Jessie Spano, but Leanna Creel, who played Tori and Zack's former girlfriend, didn't!

Dmluciano

[7]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 12
    Many people ask that question but I don't have a answer

shelley06

[8]Jan 4, 2007
    chartah wrote:
    If both Tiffani-Amber Thiessen and Elisabeth Berkley left the show, why did Thiessen also join the cast of Saved By The Bell: The College Years for the one season it ran? Also, in the series finale: Wedding in Las Vegas Berkley also reprised her role as Jessie Spano, but Leanna Creel, who played Tori and Zack's former girlfriend, didn't!

I don't know either...but I'm still fairly certain that this is what happened. Also, remember that Jessie was only in Wedding in Las Vegas briefly at the end. Yet I'm not surprised Leanna Creel didn't reprise her role since she was only in the show for one season and kind of acted as a replacement.

bricoleur

[9]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 3
    Tiffany prob came back to do the college years to show that she didn't have to go from prom queen (Kelly) to whatever she was on 90210. Elizabeth came back for the movie prob out of the closness that they all had in the original series. It was a small part and fit well into the movie.

I also noticed that whenever they are away from the school either Zack or Slater are single so they can hook up with some girl they meet there. Andrea in the Hawaiian Style (Zack), that princess when they went to Jessie's father's wedding(Slater), and the dancer Carla in the wedding movie (Slater)

Also when they worked at the Malubu sands Zack had Stacy and then Slater met young Denise Richards.
    Edited on 01/23/2007 1:49pm

marysuperfly

[10]Jan 26, 2007
    • level: 6

It wasn't the same without the original cast in high school especially when the show offered no explanation as to where Kelly and Jesse were.  I never cared for Tori, though.  I guess I was just used to the original cast and didn't like them adding a newbie that wasn't an additional girlfriend, etc.

sweetheart07

[11]Feb 9, 2007
    I was always woundering myself why they left,it's nice to finally no..I did't really care for Tori either.

Dina-M

[12]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 9
    I believe they didn't left the show. They both moved on to other projects when the show was finished, well it was supposed to be over but i've read that then they ordered more episodes so in the middle of the season those episodes were shot after the final ones, so Kelly & Jessie couldn't be on it. As for The College Years it was to be only the guys but then they brought Kelly too only one Season... i really liked the show.

PinayGirl712

[13]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 13
    orangeluver101 wrote:
    Does anyone know what happened to Kelly & Jessie in Season 5? They are on the DVD Box Set cover but are not in most episodes, that I've watched so far. If anyone knows, please let me know. Its been driving me nuts.
    I was kinda wondering the same.

JtLib4evR

[14]Aug 5, 2007
    • level: 5
    The SBTB:THS on E REALLY, REALLY messed things up and got it confused!!! Being in Junior high at the time and reading my sister's TEEN mags, The ORIGINAL SBTB episodes w/Kelly and Jessie(12 episodes in all; including the one where Kelly and Jessie are on the phone ONLY) were filmed in 1991 (the closing credits confirm this) since the show was still popular at the time NBC decided to film 10 more episodes. Tiffani and Elizabeth didn't return because they were starring in SON-IN-LAW and POINT BREAK respectively. After that came SBTB:HAWAIIAN STYLE(Mark-Paul has noticably changed) As far as the College Years goes, when originally pitched, it was supposed to be everyone from the originsl EXCEPT LISA AND MR. BELDING!! A new girl was supposed to take Lisa's spot! Peter Engel said test audiences weren't happy w/the pilot so TPTB scrambled to get the originsl girls back, however, Lark was unavailable due to being on DAYS and Elizabeth wasn't interested.

clockworx23

[15]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 17

From http://homepage.mac.com/ijball/SbtB/history.html

The "Tori/Kelly-Jessie" Paradox:

SbtB producer Peter Engel seems to have come up with several solutions. He appears to have decided to produce another partial season of SbtB proper in Grade 12 at Bayside, using a new female character in the place of Kelly and Jessie. This would allow them to finish the Grade 12 season of SbtB, tOS. This, in turn, would give the producers time to develop two new series for production: Saved by the Bell: The College Years, the continuation of the adventures of Zack and Screech (and Slater), and Saved by the Bell: The New Clas, the continuation of the adventures of Mr. Belding and the students of Bayside High.

So, a new character was created for this "half" incarnation of "Saved by the Bell". The character's name was Tori (Leanna Creel). This introduces another continuity question: it is still Grade 12 at Bayside, so where are Kelly and Jessie? It is obvious that the "Tori" Grade 12 episodes are supposed to take place in the same time-frame as the "Kelly and Jessie" Grade 12 episodes; we know this beacuse the "Tori" Grade 12 episodes were aired concurrently (i.e. on the very same days) that "Kelly & Jessie" Grade 12 episodes were in the '92-'93 Grade 12 season on NBC. So what's going on? The way to explain away this apparent discontinuity is to say that the "Tori" episodes are taking place at the same time as the "Kelly and Jessie" episodes, but that Kelly and Jessie are "off screen". Thus, Kelly and Jessie, and Tori, must be "in different clases", and we, the viewer, are seeing Tori on different days and different nights or in different locations than when or where we saw Kelly and Jessie in their Grade 12 episodes. So why are Kelly and Jessie almost never mentioned in Tori episodes, and vice versa? And why is Lisa's hair different in some of the "Tori" episodes from the hair she had through the entire "Kelly & Jessie" Grade 12 year? Well, you got me! and this explanation only goes so far.

Though filmed before the "Tori" episodes, the Grade 12 Graduation episode was shown after the Tori episodes (as apparently was the Hawaii TV movie), in primetime on NBC on May 22, 1993, along with the pilot to Saved by the Bell: The College Years (see below). It was rerun, again with The College Years pilot, in the regular timeslot for the premiering Saved by the Bell-The College Years on Tuesday, September 7, 1993 at 8:00 pm EST.

OMGWTFLOL99

[16]Aug 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    clockworx23 wrote:
    Thus, Kelly and Jessie, and Tori, must be "in different clases", and we, the viewer, are seeing Tori on different days and different nights or in different locations than when or where we saw Kelly and Jessie in their Grade 12 episodes.
    I don't see why they even bothered coming up with an "explanation," especially as pointless as that. Just because they were in different classes meant that Zack/Screech/Slater/Lisa never saw them at any of the other places they went to? Or even at the dance? Or why Zack just decided to completely dump Kelly (even though he has done so in the past) and move on to the new girl that shows up every other day? I don't really see the point in showing them on the same days, or between episodes. The way they reshow it now is probably the best way (as far as getting rid of characters and bringing in a completely new one goes) by showing all the Tori episodes together. What's even better about that is when other members of the cast meet someone they supposedly fall in love with, promise to be with them, and then never see them again making it seem like it never happened.

dangerdeen

[17]Aug 29, 2007

I Think Kelly and Jessie quit or got Fired So Tori Replaced them Kelly went into Beverly Hills 90210 and I dont know what happend to Jessi But Kelly came back on the the second episode of the Saved By The Bell The College Years and Jessie came back at the end of Saved By The Bell Wedding In Las Vegas

Edited on 08/28/2007 11:08pm

snowprincess23

[18]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 11
    not exactly, look above for the whole story which is the right one. 90210 came after the college years and the wedding movie. so sbtb was officially done then anyway.

th77

[19]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 24
    chartah wrote:
    I kinda just viewed tori as Zach girlfriend while him and Kelly were Broken up and since slater and Jessie were broken up they all stopped hangin for a bit,Lisa stayed neutral..Made as much sense as anything when they switched back casts in the end..as for weddings..most exes are not invited toeach othersweddings unless they stay good friends,so that made sense

sonic_spark

[20]Nov 23, 2007
    • level: 1

What happened was, if you watch the extras on the DVD.

Season 5 was filmed, full season with the original 6 members.

The success of the show was so good, NBC ordered new episodes.

Kelly and Jessie couldn't do any more episodes.

Torie is therefore brought in the show.

However, the continuity gets messed up because the graduation episode had to go last no matter what. Of course, that was already filmed with the original cast and was not going to be refilmed to feature Torie (that would be weird just dropping Torie, Jessie and Kelly in one episode considering they never met each other earlier.)