Saved Forums

TNT (ended 2006)

Seems a little too simliar to Rescue Me

TehDood

[1]Jun 8, 2006
    • level: 9
    This show sounds a little too familiar to me. It's a show about fire fighter's lives, called Rescue Me.

However, despite it's clone base, I am looking forward to this show and will watch.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RNorman137

[2]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 8
    I was thinking the same thing. I am going to try to see what this show is like though.

wtim1879

[3]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 3
    Waaay too similar to Rescue me. That being said, Rescue Me is a GREAT show, and hopefully this one will be too.

kopeckee

[4]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 20
    i liked it .. the music and John the Baptist

tjaman

[5]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 32
    Actually, it's a juggler's paradise of cliche, filtered through "Touching Evil."

Oh, we're living on the edge, we're living so fast, it's all so compulsive. We have sex without asking, we treat each other like crap but when it all comes down to the nitty gritty, we're all on the same side and oh, hey, once again absolutely everyone is gorgeous.

And the music used is good, but it's so damn trite. I can't believe they crapped all over Johnny Cash like they did -- they used "Hurt" over one of the most cliched possible scenes -- the tragedy of a child arsonist who endangered someone and didn't mean to do it. This is one of the things I hate most about reality television. They use music to supply emotional tension rather than enhance it. Well written shows like "Grey's Anatomy" and "Rescue Me" do it right.

Oh, and they save her at the last minute. * yawn *

And he'd rather be the loveable screwup than a stuffy old doctor.

Because doctors have really easy lives.

He's a "doctor." He saves "lives." And stuff.

To the EXTREEEEME!! BOI!! * air guitar *

This show is ... far too cliched for me to watch.

tjaman

[6]Jun 12, 2006
    kopeckee wrote:
    i liked it .. the music and John the Baptist

Yep. Random crazy person for the sake of wackiness. Check.

At least in "Touching Evil," the crazy wacky guy was plot critical throughout.

The EMT reminds me of a bad version of David Creegan with less accessible motivations.

I don't understand him, and I'm not intrigued, sorry.

pgsuperfan

[7]Jun 12, 2006
    • level: 25
    Sorry missed it does it renun?

WonderSlug

[8]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 4

I actually liked the show.

So what if it's a little cliche'?  Most new shows are nowadays, as the storylines are often copied somewhat amongst shows of the same genre.

At least it gives one something *NEW* to watch during the summer, unless you are a fan of all these freaking reality shows and contests.

las6

[9]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 7
    woah...a show that reminds you of Touching Evil? It simply cannot be bad.
    Must go watch it then... I'll let you know what I thought about it in a day or so.

las6

[10]Jun 13, 2006
    • level: 7

well well, here we are. And I must say that I kinda liked it. Probably because it felt a bit ...off. Now I know why it reminded some of you of Touching Evil. It's the song (sung by John Cash, according to earlier poster) that has been since covered by Nine Inch Nails. And guess what music was used in the touching evil premiere?

The pacing sure is odd in this one. You'd expect this kind of series to be just a big hassle and to include a lot of shakycam shots, but neither are to be found. Instead of shouting and rushed actions while dealing with a patient, the series seems to slow down from it's normal pace... it shows the calming effect of the leading character's presence, I guess. That's part of why I liked this show. The quick flashbacks show what happened to victims but they do not judge. Neither do any of the characters. they are there to help, and that's what they do.

Sure, it might not be realistic portrayal of the life of people like those that appear in the show, but I like the laid back attitude and the lack of evil plotters.

Now, does this series have any potential? Only time will tell. I for one liked all the characters and the actors. They felt real enough but at the same time very interesting bunch. The romance angle is interesting too, mainly because I like the actor who plays the girl. Many people have said that the series is too much like "rescue me". I say ****. But then again, I could force myself to watch only two episodes of rescue me because the characters (and actors!) are simply annoying, and so are the plotlines. The premise might be the same, but these shows have very different feel to them.

There are couple problems arising from the pilot, first one being the lack of (apparent) long-term storylines. And while I like the pacing, there could be a bit bigger range to it... now the fast driving scenes feel a bit... slow.

CGB-Spender

[11]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 5
    I too was thinking about the similarities to Rescue Me. Even so, it's not really like that show. I really liked the pilot. Great music too. I hope the rest of the eps have as good of a dynamic as the pilot does.

tjaman

[12]Jun 14, 2006
    I forgot to mention that I did like the flashback scenes.

Meh. I'm not saying it's bad. It's just a little too derivative for my taste and that being said, I'll stick with the originals.

I'm wondering if it ties off especially well with "The Closer." I think they're pairing them more for the spillover. I don't think the shows have a natural "If you like this one, you'll like this other one" vibe to them.

At least with David Creegan you had a good insight as to why he was so screwed up. I guess having two super-successful siblings can twist a guy's pespective, but he seemed more twisted than that on his own from factors outside what we've seen.

SweetBridgett

[13]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    I agree. I thought it was a decent show, but when I tried to describe it to a friend, all I could come up with was "ER on wheels."  At least it was funny.
    Edited on 06/14/2006 11:40am

Nikaratrenal

[14]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    I don't think that it was a horrible show, but it was WAY too unrealistic for me to ever be able to watch again.

First of all, Wyatt didn't wear gloves when he was delivering the baby. What? That is enough to get him fired and give him a large lawsuit.

Second, sex in an ambulance? Really? I was talking to a (real) paramedic today, and he said there is no way you would ever do that without getting fired, especially in the bay of a hospital. It's not like other people aren't walking by.

pgsuperfan

[15]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 25
    I saw a repeat on Weds the 14th at 11pm I liked it, give it 5 stars *****

TehDood

[16]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 9
    I dug the show. I bet it'll get better.

instarNUM1

[17]Jun 20, 2006
    I missed the pilot, but I watched the newist episode last night with my sister and I thought it was a good show. But I've never bothered to watch Rescue Me so I can't compare, but I like the show. -shrugs-

kopeckee

[18]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 20
    i like the 2nd show also. not allot going on in the summer at 10pm on mondays. i will be watching when i can ...

Xanth72

[19]Jun 23, 2006
    • level: 1

las6 wrote:

It's the song (sung by John Cash, according to earlier poster) that has been since covered by Nine Inch Nails. And guess what music was used in the touching evil premiere?

Actually the song "Hurt" was originally by Nine Inch Nails (released 1994) and later covered by Johnny Cash (2003) with slight alteration to the lyrics.

Flyboy212EAW

[20]Jun 25, 2006
    Actually, I don't see the connection to Rescue Me to this show at all, but *shrugs* -- I like what I've seen so far.