We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Saving Grace Forums

TNT (ended 2010)

Series Finale Discussion (Spoilers)

CthulhuSaves

[1]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 4
    What the heck kind of finale was that???

It made no sense whatsover. God's big plan for Grace was to have her commit suicide to stop a demon who had just shown her he couldn't actually be hurt? Uhmmm, WHAT?

And in case you hadn't figured it out, or weren't paying attention to every detail, yes, the "bad guy" was a demon, Earl's opposite. He wasn't just some human that liked causing mayhem and destruction. He was ageless (Grace saw the old photo, which he made a lame excuse for while simultaneously not acting surprised or exhibiting a normal human reaction), had visible powers, and kept getting back up after each lethal shot. Remember how Earl could be injured if caught off-guard, and it would hurt, but couldn't actually kill him or do permanent damage? Same thing. One could try to argue that the guy was Satan himself, but I really don't think so, since his abilities and interaction with the world matched Earl's perfectly (not to mention, that's why Satan has demons anyway, to do the hands-on dirty work).

He waved his hand and made a ton of ammonium nitrate appear in the back of Earl's truck, which means he could've done it anywhere (under a school, middle of a hospital, George Clooney's rumpus room, etc). Grace wasn't stopping him or achieving anything, and to be honest, now he can still do it elsewhere without her around to finish her "training" and actually be effective at really opposing him.

So yeah, given the evidence shown, the ending was completely futile and pointless. And then, to top it all off, we get no attempt at a warm-n-fuzzy bit of closure for the audience's sake. No Earl giving everyone a glimpse of his wings as they drive her body away, no comforting comments into anyone's ear, no looks of mixed sadness and satisfaction over knowing their friend did something heroic, nada. Just everyone crying their eyes out and Ham throwing a fit, roll credits.

"God's got big plans for you, Grace! We're gonna spend a few years watching you drunkenly sleep with half the state, act like a renegade teenager with a badge, rebel against everything you're taught, ignore most of the clues and nudges you're given in hopes you'll achieve various goals set for you, make no visible progress at redemption or even just getting your life together, and then, just when the audience thinks they're about to finally see you turn a corner and witness the big payoff, instead we'll just blow you up for no discernable reason. Yep, that's good TV!"

What a colossal waste of time that ended up being. Earl was consistently awesome, though. Wish they'd give him his own show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

k_adams

[2]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 8

in my opinion it was a very sad but well thought ending. after all grace did make progress and tried to get her **** together. but her last act - heroic or not - was nothing special for her, since she always put others needs first. it was nothing what evolved from the long journey on her road to redemption. after the tragic accident (the death of the little girl grace hit with her car) it might have been redemption non the less. believing in god or not does not make a huge difference here (but it might give the ones who stay behind - and us - at least a little bit comfort). her death was the only way getting over the accident of the little girls death. it was an ending closer to the real life than to any happy ending thought of in the dream factory. a tragic ending, since grace leaves her loved ones (and the audience) in tears. but this is - at least the way i watched the show - consistent to the show and all seasons. a show which was more bound to the real than to the spiritual. a brilliant but sad image of life

lynna12000

[3]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 21
    I'm with CthuluSaves on this one. The ending made NO sense. In order to stop the Devil, Grace commits a Mortal Sin (suicide)? The only reaction that actually made sense was Hams'. He'd planned on spending the rest of his life with her, and then this. Sure the letters to Grace survived....but that was way beyond the point.

It's just as well this was the end. The writing was horrible.

k_adams

[4]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 8
    i still think that grace did not die in the explosion killing the demon but way before that last stand off. her killing the demon was some kind of symbolic act going to heaven rather than hell. more in the "timeline" thread

ScareyKitty

[5]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 5

Grace, Grace.......why didn't you ask the Winchesters if you could borrow the colt? (they may even have lent you a hand, you know how they feel about demons!) Wink lol

ladycatherine

[6]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 14

my question is, could that demon even be killed.? she shot at him several times, unloading a whole gun.. but he still got up and was talking to her.. yeah, she said he would 'bleed out' but could he be killed.

I would have liked to see her at the end. after she died and they were taking her body away, her standing with Earl looking over everyone.

haldrey

[7]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 22
    I always hate it when good shows end but with Saving Grace I not only hated that the show ended but the way it ended. That was not the finale I was expecting.

angeland8

[8]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 10

ladycatherine wrote:

my question is, could that demon even be killed.? she shot at him several times, unloading a whole gun.. but he still got up and was talking to her.. yeah, she said he would 'bleed out' but could he be killed.

Exactly what I was thinking. So he can't be shot, but can be killed in an explosion?

Edited on 06/29/2010 4:14am

RichNelson

[9]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 1

no need to watch it now... thanks idiot

friedburg

[11]Jul 27, 2010
    Excellent show. Disappointing finale.

GraceDewey

[12]Aug 2, 2010
    • level: 1

I agree. Loved the show. Hated the ending. I thought Grace was suppose to find peace in her life, not rest in peace. Made me mad.

Sproxar

[13]Aug 11, 2010

When I first saw the final episode, I didn't KNOW it was the final episode. I'd recorded the last few shows, and finally got around to watching them a little while ago. I still thought it would be back next season. In hindsight there were clues in the last few episodes that something big was coming - Grace crushing the Porsche, Neely's death, the washing machine, etc. But when the end finally came, it seemed so abrupt. I thought "What? That's it?" After reflecting a bit though, a few thoughts come to mind. I'm not particularly religious normally, but am not immune to some of the symbolism at work here. The show has always been about finding redemption.

Some people have argued that her sacrifice was pointless, because she couldn't kill the demon/devil anyway. The point wasn't to kill him; it was to save Grace - hence the title of the show. He had conjured up the explosives as a threat of what he would do if she didn't go along with him. She had a choice between going over to the dark side or being killed, like her sister, in a massive explosion. By initiating the explosion herself, she called his bluff, and put her soul in the hands of God, something she may not have been prepared to do when the series began.

Some also say that she committed suicide, a mortal sin. Not so. Faced with the options she was given, she chose God. There is a difference between self sacrifice and suicide. Suicide is the selfish act of someone who no longer wishes to live. Self sacrifice is when someone who wishes to live gives this up in the service of a higher cause. For Grace, it became more important to deny the devil what he wanted than for her to continue living. The difference between her previous reckless acts and her final one was a matter of intent. Her earlier 'devil may care' attitude about life was replaced by a clear decision, with full knowledge of the stakes and consequences.

If you look at Earl's face at the end, you see grief, but not disappointment. He knew something like this was coming, tried to prepare her for it, and protect her from herself until she was ready to make her final choice. I think, from the expression on his face, that sad as the whole thing turned out, he felt he had succeeded.

catwoman77

[14]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 9

I agree with your summary. Grace told Earl at the beginning of the episode that she was turning her life over to God, and she did just that by igniting the explosion (Earl had told her to burn the cigars, which she did), thereby denying the devil his future evil plans.

I take exception to suicide being a "selfish act" though. It is the person's choice to end his/her extreme pain. Unless you've been there, don't judge.

Edited on 09/21/2010 2:31am

catwoman77

[15]Sep 21, 2010
    • level: 9

No need for name-calling RichNelson. The forum title says 'Spoilers.'

Edited on 09/21/2010 2:36am