A Scandal Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on ABC
On Scandal, I always assumed Olivia Pope would remain my favorite female character. I mean there wasn't much in terms of competition right? Until Mellie came along. She wasn't much of a contender to begin with but Shonda Rhimes must have recognized her worth because over the course of three seasons Mellie has been given more and more screen time and increasingly killer lines. And Bellamy Young damn well deserves it! The way she took that ball and is running away with it is pure joy to witness.

From the get go Mellie showed potential - the calculating look she gives Fitz and Liv when she appears through the door right on the heels of their "One Minute", told us she really didn't need a road map to know exactly where her husband and his campaign manager were heading.

Mellie quickly proved that she would stop at nothing to win: fake miscarriage, election rigging, various attempts at blackmail, having her own labor induced, driving her husband to drink and keeping him away from his One True Love among other things. These are all very good reasons to hate her cold, calculating First Lady's backside and many fans do.

I don't. I adore the whole Mellie package. She is the razor edged, flawed diamond I wish other shows would learn to mine (looking right at ya Agents of SHIELD).

As Fitz once told her: "you're honest, you're the only one who has always been honest about who you were."

In a show where so many characters lie about themselves (Fitz, Olivia, Abby) or are terminally confused about themselves (Huck, Quinn) Cyrus and Mellie are two of the few characters who stand out as people who know exactly who they are. Their amoral compass as clearly defined as David Rosen's moral one is (who is, let's agree on this, the *only* good guy on the show).

I also believe Mellie truly loves Fitz in her own way but that she is an emotional cripple, painfully aware she can't give her husband the warm, passionate and cuddly love Olivia provides him with. Mellie is not a cuddler, she probably pushes Fitz off the bed whenever he tries to spoon her at night, but she'll take a shovel and go dig a shallow grave for his many skeletons in an instant if he needs her to.

If that's not True Love, I don't know what is. Mellie's passion runs deep, but the only way she can express it is by fighting tooth and nail for her husband and his position.

And to the people who will argue that she is selfish, and only motivated by the prospect of her own political career, I 'll say this: she could have ditched Fitz' sorry cheating ass a long time ago but she didn't. I think she went along with the affair at first because she thought Olivia was just a fling. I think she got scared when she realised it was much more than this and that's when she started bearing her teeth, when she realised she was about to lose Fitz. I think she quickly realised she didn't have the necessary tools to compete with Olivia and that's why she played dirty. I don't think Mellie relishes evil deeds, but she won't balk away from them when they're the only arrows she has left for her bow. The end justify the means and all that.

So yeah, I am rooting for FLOTUS and teetering off the edge of the Olitz train, and not just because I increasingly believe Fitz and Liv are toxic for one another.

Mellie is a complex and at times deeply moving character. The "Come back to us." speech she gave Olivia in "More Cattle less Bull" was simply heartbreaking.

Go ahead and prove me wrong, I dare ya. ;-)

If you need your memory refreshing here is Mellie in all her glory.

Voila.
Follow this Show
Members