A Scandal Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on ABC

BLAME ON THE BABY NEWS

... Season 3 of ABC's popular drama Scandal is going on a bit of a diet. The series has had its original episode order of 22 episodes reduced to 18. No official explanation has been given for the shortened season, but some say it's because of leading lady Kerry Washington's pregnancy. She's due in the spring and apparently shooting those final four episodes would've been quite a challenge. And it's apparently equally difficult to write the series star out of the last four episodes of the season. Whatever the case may be, the season will be shorter than initially planned, and that kind of sucks. [TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... Fox has once again made some changes to its midseason schedule, because its been a few weeks and that's just what they do. Sleepy Hollow will now get a super-sized two-hour season finale on January 20. This pushes back what was previously billed as the second night of a two-night Season 2 premiere of The Following to the following (heh) Monday, January 27. But don't worry, there will still be a special premiere of The Following on Sunday, January 19 following the NFC championship game. [Fox via press release]

... HBO loved Real Sex so much they want another series like it (but don't want to call it a reboot). The series ran on the pay cable network from 1990 to 2008 and featured two or three documentary shorts about human sexuality per episode. Look for the pilot of the new series, titled Sex/Now (yeah, I don't really get it either), to air on January 2 at 11pm. As of this moment, the network has yet to order more episodes. [Vulture]

... MTV is once again taking a big leap of faith with its scripted programming choices, with a script-to-series commitment for an adaptation of Terry Brooks' Shannara fantasy novelsSmallville creators Al Gough and Miles Millar are writing it, and Iron Man helmer Jon Favreau is on board to direct. This is a pretty big deal, and if it fails, it'll fail spectacularly. But if the network likes the script, MTV s expected to give it a straight-to-series order. Hey, considering what MTV has done with Teen Wolf, maybe this will work out too. [Deadline]

... God bless everyone behind the following trailer from the BBC.

... Bates Motel has released two creepy new teasers for Season 2. There are blood-stained sheets and taxidermy and I straight up don't do taxidermy, so you kids have fun with your creepy dead animals and I'll be over here re-watching that promo for Gangsta Granny. [TV Line

... ABC has announced that it has extended its deal to continue airing Charles M. Schulz's classic Peanuts holiday specials until 2020. Those specials, of course, include A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and A Charlie Brown Christmas, which first aired on television in 1965. [ABC via press release]

... Just because The Terminator said he'd be back does not mean we need to keep trying to bring him back, guys. We tried a TV show once. It was canceled. Let's move on. HAHAHA. Just kidding. Let's do this again because we'll never learn our lesson. Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller, who wrote X-Men: First Class, are writing and executive-producing a series that will bring the Terminator franchise back to television. The project is said to stem from a decisive moment in the first film and take the story in a different and unexpected direction. Now, let's all have a moment of silence for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, please. [Variety]

CASTING NEWS

... Southland star Regina King has been cast in a recurring role on The Strain, FX's new vampire series from Guillermo del ToroThe series is a high-concept thriller about a strain of vampirism that infects New York City. King will play Ruby Wain, the manager of Jack Kesy's womanizing rockstar Gabriel Bolivar. [Deadline]

... Jon Tenney (The Closer) is joining Scandal as a potential love interest for Bellamy Young's Mellie. Little is known about the character, but earlier this week there was talk of the series casting the charismatic, 40-something character of Andrew. Makes you go, "Hmmmm." [TV Line]

... Comedy Central has announced a huge lineup of guest stars for Season 2 of The Kroll Show. Guests include Katy Perry, Will Forte, Craig Robinson, Pete Holmes, Jordan Peele, Jon Heder, and Bill Burr. Returning guests include Chelsea Peretti, Adam Pally, Nathan Fielder, John Mulaney, Andy Daly, Jason Mantzoukas, Jenny Slate, Jon Daly, and Andy Milonakis. Season 2 premieres January 14. [SplitSider]

JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS NEWS

... You can now buy a Breaking Bad snow globe that rains blue crystals down on an RV in the desert when you shake it. (Mom, if you're reading this and still don't know what to get me, here's a hint!) [Firebox]

REQUIRED READING

... Battlestar Galactica turns 10 on Sunday, which completely blows my mind. Feels like just yesterday Starbuck was striking a superior asshole and being sent to the brig. Anyway, Mo Ryan of the Huffington Post has a great interview with creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore about the show's legacy, and it shouldn't be missed. [Huffington Post]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/12/2016

Season 5 : Episode 21

60 Comments
Comments (60)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i really enjoyed watching TSCC. was a very good show imo. i thought they did a good job with it.
Flag
Definately watching Gangsta Granny, if it's anything like as good as Mr Stink was last year it'll be an enjoyable way to get over Christmas dinner
Flag
MTV is once again taking a big leap of faith with its scripted programming choices, with a script-to-series commitment for an adaptation of Terry Brooks' Shannarafantasy novels. --- NO NO NO... there is no way they can make this a series that comes even close to giving the novels a proper treatment and as someone who has read the books, very few characters go from one book to another and no character exists for the entire series.

And seriously, enough of the Breaking Bad BS, the show was good and I liked it, but DVD sets and Snow Globes, sorry, that show was not worth that, the show is a good one time watching, after that, it is just not that good. And anyone who thinks it was the greatest show ever, apparently does not watch much tv... there is no such thing as greatest show ever, shows can be good, some are re-watchable, but there is no one show that stands above others so much so that is deserves such a title especially when they keep working towards creating even better TV.
Flag
Fingers crossed it is closer to Game of Thrones than Legend of the Seeker.
Even just doing the first book will take a ton of money to do properly.

Flag
I totally agree with you about the what is sure to a be a massacre of the Shannara books! I'm perfectly happy with them NOT becoming a TV series. Why Terry Brooks - WHY?
Flag
Scandal could have taped it's last 4 episodes if the Exec's wanted. It is done all the time for other shows.
It is either written in ( which I am glad it is not ) or her clothes and head shots could have hidden the pregnancy .
I am thinking that maybe KW might be having a difficult pregnancy and no one wants to put her at risk.
Flag
That's was my first thought :(
Flag
Gangsta Granny? Awesome!
Flag
Hell yeah to more terminator!!! Just don't screw this up!
Flag
Looking forward to Sex/Now. Real Sex was great masturbatory thought-provoking material.
Flag
Gangster Granny? WTF? I'll definitely be watching that.
Flag
I'm guessing this means no pregnancy for Olivia and Fitz? That's too bad. That would have been a good twist.
Flag
Battlestar Galactica turned 10 in 1988, just saying...
Flag
I'm not tuning into another Terminator show; if they can't keep it going with Sarah and John, they can't make it work. They're fascinating characters and I enjoyed watching them in depth in their long-overdue weekly series.
Flag
I keep waiting for someone to do a Xanth series by Piers Anthony - even if an animated one or at least an animated movie. Surprised it hasn't been done yet in any form I know of.

Let's hope ABC no longer cuts out Snoopy and Woodstock's Thanksgiving dinner, the punchline to the whole story, as they did a couple of times when they first got the rights for this show.
Flag
A Xanth series would be puntastically great.
Flag
I gotta wonder if the cast and crew from Scandal get paid by the episode, and if so, how they feel about losing that money because of Washington's pregnancy.
Flag
Seriously? You think the cast cares more about getting paid for 4 stupid shows more than the fact the woman is having a child?? Don't you think those actors and crew get enough as it is? Maybe it would let them go earlier to pursue other acting jobs in the meantime anyway.

And I hope Kaitlin Thomas doesn't really feel the same about missing 4 little episodes because she thinks Washington having a baby basically "sucks". That kind of came across as shallow.
Flag
That response is exactly the reason why I am often embarassed to be a woman. Chill out honey, nobody cares that you have tons of kids or want tons of kids or whatever. Put your personal feelings about family-hood aside and just relax. It's a fair question. Jesus Christ.
Flag
i mean its a good enough question to ask. you sound kind of arrogant with your reply.
Flag
People make family-or-career decisions all the time. I think that if Washington intended to get pregnant, then the effect it would have on a host of people might affect the timing. And if she got pregnant accidentally, that's irresponsible. Akyriel, I did NOT say the cast cares more... I'm sure they're all very happy for her. But if getting pregnant one or two months later would have left the schedule intact, they'd probably all agree that would be better.

It's not shallow. Thinking about how your actions affect others is rarely shallow; thinking only of yourself and your desires is. But if you want to interpret my original post as shallow, I really don't have a problem with that.
Flag
I was calling what Kaitlin Thomas wrote as seeming shallow, not your post. She implies not getting those 4 episodes to watch sucks because of the pregnancy.

You also seem to contradict yourself . You IMPLIED the cast may care more about not getting 4 extra episodes of work and pay more than they do about her having a child. Would that not be shallow of them, if so? Yet, you think they may all be very happy for her. Which is it?

It's a successful show. They all make good money, more than most of us. it's very likely going to be renewed next season, so they'll have a job to go back to. I am sure they'll survive not doing those 4 stupid episodes. As I said, they can be available sooner for other work plus they may be happy to have a longer break. The writers will likely be able to wrap up things nicely anyway, so why worry about it?

A mature married woman getting pregnant "accidentally" is irresponsible? That is a bit sexist, no? What if she did plan it and just miscalculated by 4 episodes when it could have been 10 or so? It's a TV show, not Washington's real life, which she deserves to have, planned or otherwise. If she had to stop due to an addiction or decided to just call it quits altogether, then you have justification to blame or call her irresponsible.
More +
Flag
Wow. *sigh* I'll try to clarify, but I'm not hopeful. (The rest of you feel free to tune this out - it's probably not worth your time.)

I don't think Kaitlin's opinion was shallow either. It's okay to regret not getting four episodes of a gripping show. BTW, you keep calling it 4 stupid/little/extra episodes. To fans they're not stupid, and to employees who have banked on expected income, they're not extra. And contrary to what you say, many of the crew do not make that much and don't have some other job waiting on them.

There's no paradox in wishing KW well and also wishing for those episodes. See, here's the thing: people can feel more than one thing at a time. Wanting to provide for your family and financial obligations and wanting KW to have a fulfilling family life as well are not mutually exclusive: you don't have to pick. I didn't say anyone cares more about one than the other.

As for the "sexist" crap, I can't roll my eyes hard enough at that. People make a commitment to others when they accept a job. It may be the military, it may be professional sports. Part of that commitment includes reserving your body from situations that would prevent you fulfilling your commitment. If your job includes presenting your body, you don't get yourself thrown in rehab or jail, you don't binge eat and gain 75 pounds over a season, you don't do midseason plastic surgery and you don't unilaterally sideline your entire team because you decide now is the time to have a baby. It's not sexist; I'd say the same about a male celebrity who can't show up to work because his personal life has gotten in the way.
More +
Flag
I really don't think the crew makes all that much money and for some of them, those 4 episodes might make a big difference. However, I don't think that's "because of KW & baby", I think that's because of the execs who made the decision, because while not ideal, there COULD still be episodes made without Olivia, they just chose not to.
Flag
I can't believe that Battlestar Galactica is 10 years old! I recently got the final season on DVD so naturally I've been watching the show again from the beginning - it's fantastic.

I still miss The Sarah Connor Chronicles, it was a great show that wasn't too scared to kill people off. I was never a fan of Dekker as John Connor but the rest of the cast was great, it's a shame the show didn't get a few more viewers.
Flag
I can't be mad for The Sarah Connor Chonicles because it cleared Lena Heady to become Joffrey's mother rather than John Connor.

...And Joffrey has even as effective as Termintor so far.
Flag
The Kroll Show..
Flag
The Krill Show..
Flag
"Gangsta Granny"

Thank you BBC.
Flag
That's awesome news about the Shannara TV series. I read a little more about it that said they were going to start with the 2nd book, The Elfstones of Shannara, and make it a "Game of Thrones" style show. Based on the people associated with the series, I have high hopes for this one.
Flag
That's awesome, I love the Shannara series and Elfstones of Shannara is my favorite. The ends just kills me every time.
Flag
Maybe the name is Sex/Now because they want sex and the want it now :)
Flag
Looking forward to The Strain and casting Regina King is a major plus.

I hope MTV hits gold with their version of Terry Brooks' Shannara series. The series is my third favorite behind Lord of the Rings and R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms series (When are they going to make a movie or tv series based on that?).

Also, we need a cable channel that brings the best of the world's tv shows to the US. I'd pay HBO money for that channel if it include the best of Britain, Australia, etc.
Flag
I always that that a channel for foreign shows would have been a great idea, if there were enough to fill that channel and if they could run un-dubbed, but subtitled. I also wondered if they should have a British night, a French night, and so on in order keep from switching between those languages and cultural aspects from one show to the next. I would even include Japanese anime. Hulu has Korean shows, which appear to have some popularity. Having a premium channel like HBO do it would be good for those shows that have less censorship than we do too. The best of foreign commercials could be cool, as well.
Flag
I like your way of thinking! Good idea for certain nights to be dedicated to one country.
Flag
Staff
Apollo!
Flag
I think Guillermo del Toro is an overrated director but Regina King is a spectacular actress so I'm more inclined to checkout The Strain now.
Flag
Solid article with lots of good info instead of just snide remarks.
Flag
So I watched "Real Sex" at an age that most psychiatrists would deem too young but honestly, I think it helped me have a really mature view on sexual desires and to not demonize them or people who happen to find pleasure in something I would never do. I hope the new show is as interesting and informative as the OG.
Flag
That is great news. In no way should Sleepy Hollow be associated in any way shape or form with The Following. And I have seen the commercials for this season and even they are horrible.

Also, Regina King, thanks for reminding me that Southland is no more. Can't we replace the very mediocre Mob City with a three week event of Southland? You could do it twice a year an it could still be awesome.

And the Shanara books could be cool. I read those when I was in primary school.
Flag
You are so right about Southland. We need a three week event every year.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members