A Scandal Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on ABC
I realise that as a whole Scandal is totally unbelievable and far fetched (chiefly Fitz being a republican) and yet the one thing that keeps bothering me about it more than anything is the fact that in 2 and a bit seasons we have yet to meet or even get a glimpse of Fitz and Mellie's kids. It just seems so odd that something as minor as casting two adolescents for a scene or two in the 40 or so episodes we had so far was something the writers never even seemed to entertain. Not even when we saw Fitz on the campaign trail or posing for family photos with America's baby.

The last thing Scandal needs is a parallel teenage story line (see Homeland) and I don't think Shonda even knows how to write kids but considering several and repeated mentions were made of said mysterious (and obviously unloved and neglected) kids I do think this idiotic insistence/oversight is just plain ridiculous. I mean surly this show should try and hold on to a tiny resemblance to reality where it can.

I'm not sure why I'm so fixated on this one small detail but it is driving me insane.

That and also considering he's the leader of the free world it would be nice to actually see Fitz acting or doing something even remotely presidential every now and again rather than being totally driven by his horniness. Just saying....
Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Seeing those two kids would have no impact on the show whatsoever and would be a waste of time. If we see them one day... cool... if not, it certainly has no impact on storyline. We haven't seen if they have a family pet either... smh.. I'm not sure that I get it. Mellie has already said that she isn't mother of the year... she is totally career driven and Fitz is Potus and trying to get back with Olivia, tackle B613 and keep Jake alive... Neither is parent of the year.. but this isn't Full House.
Flag
I agree completely with you. It is strange no to see this kids. But to work with teen actors is really difficult due to the laws, they can work just a limited amount of time each day. Shows like Modern Family managed it so it is not so hard...
Flag
They are in boarding school
Flag
Which is also a completely unrealistic explanation. Can you imagine the security measures needed for sending them to boarding school half way across the country (I can only assume it's half way as it seems to be such an effort getting them round the White House even if you are the president and have your own fleet of planes). Also having a wholesome family and getting elected pretty much goes hand in hand. How does sending his kids away promote his agenda?

Really I can go on and on about this. Boarding school is just not good enough, it's a lazy plot hole and one that can rectified relatively easily if they only wished to do so.
Flag
You are right, they could not be bothered and frankly neither do I :-)
Flag
I agree with everything you wrote. It just bugs me to not see even a glimpse of their children in these 3 seasons. And that one episode where they were supposed to visit, they blew it off by saying that they don't want to spend some time with Fitz .. I mean come onn!! a couple of big occasions passed without them in it while they should be the ones he's hugging up on the stage!
Flag
I know that annoyed me so much!
Flag
Kids are always a gamble of TV shows. I guess they could have Zoey Bartlet type of characters: not given too much screen time but whose face you can picture whenever names are mentionned. Plus if Rowan ever decides to abducts the Presidential kids to blackmail Fitz (he *so* would), it would have more of an impact if we've seen the kids before.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members