A Scandal Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on ABC (Returning September 25th, 2014)

GLADIATOR DOWN

... Columbus Short, who played Harrison on Scandal (and who's recently been involved in a few scandalous incidents in his personal life), will not be returning to the sudsy drama. The actor released a statement today after ABC opted not to renew his contract. Here it is in full:

At this time I must confirm my exit from a show I’ve called home for 3 years, with what is the most talented ensemble on television today. I would like to first thank [creator] Shonda Rhimes for the opportunity to work with such an amazing cast. Thank you GLADIATORS, who have supported me throughout my entire career and of course to ABC and Shondaland for allowing me to play such a pivotal role in the Scandal series. I have enjoyed every single minute of it. Everything must come to an end and unfortunately the time has come for Harrison Wright to exit the canvas. I wish nothing but the best for Shonda, Kerry and the rest of the cast, who have become like a second family to me in such a short amount of time. For this, I will forever be grateful.

While ABC hasn't said anything about WHY it chose not to renew Short's contract, it's certainly easy to speculate that the unfavorable allegations he's facing in his personal life didn't encourage the network to keep him around. 

[TV Line]

BUSINESS TIME

... Whoops! I guess that production hiatus for The Leftovers that I told you about a few weeks ago was more serious than I thought! HBO has pushed back the show's premiere date by two weeks, from Sunday, June 15 at 10pm to Sunday, June 29 at 10pm. You know what it means when Damon Lindelof starts messing with time, guys. [HBO via press release]

... Remember those lousy Orphan Black premiere ratings for the Season 2 premiere? As it turns out, the series is now burning up DVRs everywhere. The ratings have jumped from 620,000 total viewers, with 391,000 in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, to 1.6 million viewers with 746,000 in the demo. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Nielsen was cloning viewers, but it's more likely that hey, not a lot of people stay in on Saturday night to watch TV! What a shocker! Anyway, obviously Orphan Black is still super far away from, say, The Walking Dead in terms of viewership, but this is progress! [EW]

... ABC's newest drama Black Box (which Tim bravely previewed here) managed to sucker a couple of poor souls into sticking around after Grey's Anatomy to watch its debut on Thursday. The series pulled in 6.6. million viewers and earned a 1.5 in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, which is actually pretty good when compared to the rest of ABC's premieres this season. It also makes Black Box the network's highest-rated 10pm drama premiere since Nashville. CBS's new comedy Bad Teacher (which I previewed here) pulled in 7.87 million viewers and a 2.1 among adults 18 to 49. And the one-hour Parks and Recreation finale, pulled in 2.7 million viewers and earned a 1.0, which is up a tenth over the show's numbers from last week. I guess that means a lot of people still need to go watch the best concert of all time. [ABC via press release / CBS via press release / Deadline]

... I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' about half past dead... oh wait, you're telling me Fox's new event series Nazareth is not a series about The Band? That's bullsh*t! The series is actually about the formative years of Jesus of Nazareth, which doesn't really feel all that original, in my opinion. But obviously the network didn't ask me, because the thing is still being made. And it's got Academy Award-winner David Franzoni (Gladiator) writing the script. But still, just once I'd like someone to ask me! I have a lot of opinions. Like, how lucky are we all that this isn't being developed at The CW? [THR]

CASTING NEWS

... Bob Barker is returning to television! The TV icon will guest-star as himself in the April 30 episode of The Bold and the Beautiful as part of a three-day arc about animal rescue. Barker is a longtime supporter of animal rights, and he'll appear in a scene where he's interviewed by Liam Spencer (Scott Clifton). [ABC via press release]

... Disney XD's The 7D, which is a "contemporary retelling" of the story of the Seven Dwarfs, has a premiere date and some new cast members. The animated series will premiere Monday, July 7, and has just added the voices of Jay Leno and Whoopi Goldberg to its roster. They'll play the recurring roles of Crystal Ball and Magic Mirror, respectively. Leno and Goldberg join Kelly Osbourne in the cast; Osbourne was previously announced as the voice of the evil villain Hildy Gloom. [Disney XD via press release]

... Mimi Kennedy has been upped to series regular status on CBS's comedy Mom. The actress plays Marjorie, the sometimes-friend-sometimes-enemy of Allison Janney's Bonnie. [THR]

... Girls is currently filming its fourth season, and it looks like we're going to see some new faces when the series returns. Filmmaker Desiree Akhavan (something called Appropriate Behavior that premiered at Sundance) and new kid on the block Peter Mark Kendall will both recur as fellow students in Hannah's writing program. [Deadline

REQUIRED READING

... Parks and Recreation is most likely ending next season, and this interview with creator Mike Schur discusses the Season 6 finale, the decisions that were made to get there, how they got Ginuwine to sing "Pony" about Li'l Sebastian, and what we can expect in Season 7 after that surprising cliffhanger. It's definitely worth a read! [EW]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/17/2014

Season 3 : Episode 18

Next Episode

AIRS ON 9/25/2014

Season 4 : Episode 1

44 Comments
Follow this Show
Members