A Scandal Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on ABC (Returning October 5, 2017)

Although quite a few scandalous things happened in this episode, it didn't quite work for me. I found the pacing erratic, the scenes felt patched up together rather than blending smoothly in a narrative flow. I don't know. It wasn't bad, there were some great moments even, but it feels like Scandal is going to end its mid season finale with a whimper rather than a bang, if I am to judge by the below par quality of the last two episodes. I hope I'm wrong.

Let's start with huck and Quinn. Some people were shocked and bewildered by Huck's actions. I'm not. Of course he doesn't *have * to torture Quinn. She's so scared in this first scene that it is likely she would have fessed up everything on the spot if she didn't have a mouthful of duct tape. But Huck is an addict. His particular brand of craving is inflicting pain on others, and I guess the way this works is: the closer the emotional bond, the sweeter the torture. Huck loves Quinn in his own whackjob way, so the opportunity to torture her... it's the jackpot for him. She's his blue meth: pure and extremely potent “You're so fresh, so new.” There is no way in Hell he can resist this.

Before the episode I thought maybe Huck would be torturing Quinn to freak her out, to put her off her psychopathic tendencies, but after seeing this scene I think whatever motives Huck may have had went through the windows the minute he was presented with the opportunity to give in to his addiction. Quinn's betrayal of Olivia is, at this stage, just another excuse.

YOLO indeed.

I am not entirely put off by the Quinn/Charlie relationship. Yeah, it's sick and twisted and yet strangely sweet.

James playing a delightful game of innuendo laden cat and mouse with Cyrus was a delight to watch. It isn't often that we see the White House Chief of Staff caught at his own game. You go James!

I felt almost sorry for poor cluelessly offensive Daniel Douglas.

Almost.

James' increasingly steely yet pitying stare while having to listen to DD's freaked out rant on the “sickness” and “despicable temptation” of being gay was very nicely acted. In S1 I used to find James annoying and whiny, but he's really grown on me since. He is one the rare character with true compassion on this show. We see a proof of this when he tells Cyrus just how vile he is for wanting to publicly shame a fellow gay man for being in the closet. James might not care for DD's 'moral' values, but he cares for the man who suffers.

I think maybe next time, we should make a game plan about what type of rent boy I'm supposed to play...”

This scene where Cyrus finally blows up and James calls him out on what he's done was brilliant. I'm glad they gave old Cy a human weakness rather than let him be the guy able to have his husband assassinated if it served his political agenda - as it nearly happened in S2.

James goes all The Shining on Cyrus and asks for a divorce. Are you happy now Cy? Obviously not, and he breaks down in the Oval in front of Mellie, who at first can't leave quickly enough in front of all this yucky display of emotions.

Our Mellie: not a hugger.

But she stops herself long enough to impart a very personal piece of wisdom:

It hurts until it doesn't. You think what he did will break you, but... It won't. You may not sleep as well at night, but you will be fine. Numb. But... numb and fine are the same.”

S3 Mellie is gonna cost me a bypass surgery, I kid you not.

The safe house scenes are strangely uninspired. Olivia spends a while in a corner in a catatonic funk, before getting busy with trying to get her mother out of the country to protect her. Maya says all the things we expect her to, which means it has to be a bunch of lies. OPA are being hunted down by Papa Pope and that is to be expected too. I didn't feel much of a motherly vibe going on between Olivia and her mother, in spite off Mama Pope's story about the fantasy life she'd imagined for her daughter. I don't know if it was a lack of chemistry between the two actresses or if the writers felt that there should be a distance between the two women because of the time spent apart. Or if they didn't want Olivia to be able to get solace from any of her parent. In any case, something felt off.

Guess I was hoping you'd have more of me in you and less of your father. But Eli raised you in his image. ”

You can say one thing about the Pope parents: they both know exactly how to hurt their daughter. Maya and Eli deserve each other if you ask me.

There are some issues with getting Mama Pope out of the country as she's been put with a fake name on the FBI most wanted list. Abby tries to get David Rosen to get Maya off the no fly list but he can't do jack. There is a nice shippy "Jam & One Minute" (howzat for a band name?) phone call between Liv and Fitz who comes to the rescue by calling a Pentagon general who gives him a plane. Tis nice to be the Prez.

OPA's offices have been thrashed, most likely by B613, and a pretty friend of Harrison shows up to help him forge ID papers for Maya. They have eye-sex before she tells him that Adnan Salif sends his regards, and Harrison makes a face like he's just swallowed a hornet nest. See I talked about Harrison! There you go. :)

Jake kicks some presidential ass in the Oval:

Must be nice, letting other people fight your battles.”

Watch Jake sum up three seasons of Fitzgerald Grant in a nutshell.

It pushes Fitz to finally do something useful. Except that it isn't in the end. I can't wait to see the PR nightmare of having the White House aiding and abetting the escape of a known terrorist. Talking about PR, this show is missing a C.J. Cregg. Don't you think the job of Press Secretary for this White House has tons of potential? (What I wouldn't give to see C.J. and Mellie lip syncing The Jackal together). Maybe the current ones are dying of exhaustion at such a rate that we never get to see them. Or getting killed in freak accidents like Spinal Taps drummers.

Jake then tries to take Papa Pope down himself and fails because this is not the season finale yet.

Cyrus tries to blackmail Sally but it doesn't work because:

- Sally knows much he cares for James. She knows Cy won't release the pictures.
- She points out how bad it would look for the party if it were found out that the Chief of Staff's husband had an affair with a married man.

It looks like Sally is scoring on every front during the episode. Bending her convictions for her political career, giving Fitz a well deserved piece of her mind, scoffing at Cyrus' pathetic attempts at blackmail. Yeah, our Sally is way ahead of the game, bless her little homophobic, Bible thumping but now pro-choice little heart.

Until...

Repeat after me Sally: “political manoeuvring: good”, “sharp objects in your husband's back: bad”.

I guess this is going to give Liv something to take her mind off Mommie Dearest.

I found what went on with Sally a much more satisfying plot twist than finding out that Liv's mum was “the monster”. Methinks the writers got themselves some cheap Alias scripts on Ebay so they could have more free time to do their Christmas shopping.

And that's all I have to say about that.

~Fish~

PS: next episode we are going to find Quinn in Da Hole. You mark my words.

Comments (29)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Dec 09, 2013
I love Jake. I don't know if it is because it is Scott Foley or Jake, but I love him.
Flag
Dec 08, 2013
I am right with the small group of those completely turned off Huck as a result of this episode. I think there was a better way that they could have handled his character...this felt wrong. Not that I'm a fan of Quinn, I'm not. I can't stand how she has been recently. After her background storyline was done I have had zero interest in her.

I knew Huck was really messed up in the head but I no longer enjoy his character. Seemed senseless to me for him to torture her...also why did he do it? He's the one who had been spurning Quinn for the whole season, he knew how close to the edge she was better than anyone else. He could have stopped her from getting where she wound up but instead he tortures her? Meh.

I was thrilled to see Cyrus get his just desserts. Shame on him for underestimating his husband. I love Cyrus but he deserved this.

Also agreed that the VP suddenly losing her mind and killing her hub is not really believable. She knew he was gay for how many years? It just NOW upsets her? Nah. Plus, I'm not even sure he's really dead. We'll see next week.

Liv and Mom..I don't really understand what happened here. How do we decide mom is a terrorist after learning a name? Perhaps I need to watch some episodes over again but I just don't get it.
More+
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Will Rowan die by Quinn's hand? Quinn has been my least fav character on this show and I was hoping Huck would do away with her. Now, she wants to "do something" she's gonna mess it all up again and kill the wrong person.

I'm all for Olitz, but why can't poor Jake catch a break? His assassination attempt summed up his luck perfectly.

I hate to admit it, but Abby and David Rosen have grown on me. I used to shudder at their hookups, but now they have the cutesy bf/gf routine down- she needs help, tries sweet-talking her bf who then chastises her, but tries to help anyways.

So will Sally be the newest client for Pope & Associates?! I never get to see the previews for the next ep because I watch the show on Hulu.

Believeable or not, I watch TV to be entertained!

Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Everything has been really intense this season, therefore I don't really mind that they're making it shorter (I can only handle this madness for so long, you know). But this episode was like madness with a side of crazy-pants!
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
1. I did not see the whole Liv's mom be a trade coming. I mean I knew that she couldn't be trusted but who actually thought that Rowan was going to be the good guy.
2. Yeah, she did own Cyrus until she went all crazy and killed her husband.
3. I did love seeing James beating Cyrus at his own game. However, everything is ruined.
4. It was nice to see Jake go all Alpha dog on POTUS. I know there are people that can't stand Jake because they think he is a legitimate threat to Olitz. Laughable . . .
5. I did not think so but I may need to go back and watch the episode.
6. That was so creepy. Plus, she was probably passing out between teeth because of the pain.
7. This couple throws me for a loop. I think he actually likes her, but at the same time I screaming at my tv. He's using you Quinn.
8. Wouldn't that be ironic.
9. I still love this show. It's crazy and at times unbelievable, but for some reason I don't care.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
this show and POI are really gearing up this season
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
This whole season I've been saying that Rowan is the good guy who just protected Olivia from her evil mother, and this episode confirmed that. Know how I knew that? Because from the very beginning, including the initial car scene with "daddy?", it has been ripped page by page from Alias.

I am also in the minority that hates the relationship with the President and Olivia, and even just short (but lame) phone scenes like in YOLO is enough to make me roll my eyes into the back on my head. I also hate the character of the President, he is a spoiled, entitled, not very good leader, terrible husband and from all looks of it, terrible President - so you know it's bad when I'm rooting for the Christian Tea Party lady! (At least against him, assuming there would be even a deadbeat D in the general, that would be an improvement.)

Loved the scenes with Cy and James though. Very excited to see where their relationship goes next.

Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Rowan is hardly a "good guy". Even if Liv's mom is a terrorist there is this matter of exercising due process to bring her to justice. Young Liv might have been crushed but these thing eventually come out. Instead, he ordered a hit on 300 innocent lives.

In fact Liv had any brain she would have walked away from the Olitz relationship, which was doomed and bound to blow up in their face. But the writer will never let it die because without White House at her back Liv just loses the firepower as fixer.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Yeah, I agree about Rowan. I shouldn't have written "good guy", but I meant in the way Jack Bristow was a "good guy" on Alias - acting in the interest of his daughter, not against, as the daughter assumed (and audience was supposed to believe though we did not because this was done in a lame way).

Ugh the whole episode was just done poorly, including the part about Maya Pope, because although Olivia remembered that she used a fake name, that does not really confirm that she is a terrorist, but we still know that she is "bad" because that's the way this whole thing has been set up from the start.

I hate the relationship so much, and I know lots of people think it's the highlight, but for me, I am only watching the show in spite of this terrible relationship.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Also, there was even a hint of Harrison's life in this ep. 2,5 seasons in and we met ONE person he knows outside of the Associates, not bad.... but has there ever been a slower storyline ever? I'm not even excluding soap operas from this.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
I continue to like Scandal. but there are a few things that continue to bother me. I continue to believe good drama need to be believable, that's not a strong area for Scandal.

• B-613, the Gestapo equivalent. How f***ed up is this organization? It has seemingly unlimited power. It gets all the agencies worked up on a whim. The POTUS has no control over it. The "most powerful man in the free world" gets only 8 years and he really has to sweat his pants from time to time, yet this joker Rowen gets to cast his spell for how long, 22 years at least???? When in crisis, as one other poster pointed out, the best they got is Charlie????? B-613 IMO has ZERO believability.
  • Sorry to drag on. but why in the world would you shoot down 300 innocent men just to put one person in jail? 300 lives for one person! that makes zero sense.
  • Some are bothered by the the Huck-Finn torture scene. I'm not. I think that's the writer telling you how messed up Huck is. He is Jason Bourne ++. I cannot believe what severing ties to his family does to a man but that's what the writers want to you to believe. And I have no problem with that. Huck is a monster. The only sane thing he does is his loyalty to Liv. But I won't be surprised that gets challenged before the show is over. This is Scandal.
More+
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Not to mention the ripple effects of 300+ people whose families would want answers. And they glossed it over in another episode that Fitz' dad the Senator made the documents classified or some bs, but it's a joke that this would remain "secret".
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Agreed. Also shooting down that airplane was made up to be the biggest dirt from Fritz's past. But how was he responsible if he was just obeying orders as a soldier? To think B-613 has the power to order US military to do whatever it pleases is beyond reason.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
I agree completely.

Also, if they absolutely had to make it a plane that was shot down, how about at least making it a small private plane or something? There is no way a 747 goes down and no one notices! Even if some ridiculous post-CIA group ordered a famous military person to do it.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Just when I thought I couldn't be surprised...LOL...I LOVE this show!!! I love how Huck is so freakin' psycho, how he and Quinn 'worked' things out; Olivia was fooled by her mother along with everyone else; Cyrus' plan backfiring; Sally killing her husband...seriously, twists and turns all over the place. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
The first scene this episode was one of my favorite TV moment ever ! I probably should go include it in TV.com 2013 favorite TV moment of the year !

It showed Huck is a psycho ! I actually prefer to call him Hulk ! He is however Olivia very own Psycho ! It also showed he is really a murderholic (he did attend alcoholic anonymous) ! He does enjoyed torturing and killing people a bit too much ! The acting between the 2 of them is priceless.

Now having said that, this episode is very Scandal like ! What I mean is again the show manage to make you love it and hate it at the same time ! It is really a show on its own ! One of its kind ! Nothing come close.

I have a few issues !

1) What does James see in Cyrus? Seriously ! Why? And Why would Cyrus be so stupid to use James as it would only bring scandal to himself and to the president just like what Sally described? How can both Cyrus and Mielle be so stupid?

2) Command (Oliver's father) is so powerful and impenetrable and yet Jake managed to get into his house so easily a few episodes ago? And his best agent is Charlie? Really? He could not send someone better to chase Oliver's mum?

3) Is acting such a difficult industry that an actor as brilliant as Jack Coleman cannot get another job? He have to come and guest star in such a minor but weak character and then ends up died so soon? Or is the money to good to refuse?

Well I still love the show because it is very exciting and its does have a very good cast.I must admit to that I get surprised and shock almost every episode and I loved it. It is just too good to pass on like a beautiful dangerous woman.

PS: I totally called it that Quinn is finally a double agent. The fact that she got into bed so quickly with Charlie confirms it but I never expected she actually volunteer to be the assassin ! OMG !

Oliver REALLY has a LOT of good friends that loved her !
More+
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
I think sally killing her husband kind of ruined it for me, she played cyrus perfectly and now all is ruined.

Fitz is the worst president ever, the guy doesn't think with his head. now he just helped a terrorist escape, he should just work for pope and associate and leave the white, i m not sure he'll even be effective there.

this episode made me like rowan for the first time, i don't want him to die, kill fitz instead.
there was a lot happening in this episode but i guess that the scandal way.
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
Thank you! Fitz is the worst. I know we don't see the day in day out of him being a leader, but he just seems so AWFUL at the job I can't even. To be fair, we never see him working, but that's just "fair" to him, NOT the writers.

Then there's the not at all believable crap that he is a CA Republican and I just loathe the unrealism of someone like that winning in 2011. If they'd made him a D, no one would have had any problems believing it, unless they kept Sally on of course.
Flag
Dec 06, 2013
I didn't like the episode much.

The Huck/Quinn thing didn't make sense to me. The moment she saw Huck and his tools, she must have said something like "Huck, there's no need for this. I'm going to tell you everything. I want to tell you everything." And if Huck had listened, he would have known that what she's saying is the truth.

And how sick and creepy was Huck? Lick her face? Torture her even after she has volunteered to talk, with the motivation that "that's not how this works" and "I'm going to enjoy this"? We knew that he was disturbed, but damn.

I guess Huck thought that her answers would be more reliable if she's tortured first. That's obviously not how it works in the real world. I guess we're supposed to buy that this is how it works in the fictional world of Scandal, but I'm having a hard time with this.

I din't like that last scene. I can't even imagine Sally getting worked up enough to kill her husband. Especially not after seeing how cool she was when Cyrus showed her the pictures. If the writers wanted to have her shoot him, then they should also have shown us something that makes it more believable.

It didn't make any sense that they went to David to ask him to get the mother off the no-fly list. They would have known that he would know that there's absolutely no way that he can do that without getting into serious trouble.
More+
Flag
Dec 07, 2013
I totally agree with you, by doing this, they totally ruined Huck for me which up to this ep was my favorite character along Cyrus; they were my favorites cuz totally nuts but not that dislikeable up til now, what are they doing to the show? Too much conspiration's too much, they should get back to cases of the week ASAP!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members