Scariest Places On Earth

Episode 3

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 25, 2000 on ABC Family

• One of the better episodes from The Scariest Places on Earth

I agree with Dexter1983. After watching the movie Session 9, I actually made an exam project about Danver State. Also one of the things mentioned in the episode, was that they had problems after photos from the place ended up on a website with abandoned places. This website is: http://www.opacity.us/ , and I am certain the photos are still there. It is pretty easy to see that this is the place in the episode. Also the things described by the narrator fits. Regarding the review stating it should be in CT, it is not the one, even though they look quite similar.
  • This was a great episode. But the other 2 reveiws are terrible wrong. This was about Danvers State Hospital in New England. Watch the episode again and then search for the Danvers Hospital - and you will see that this is the mental hospital.

This was a great episode. But the other 2 reveiws are terrible wrong. This was about Danvers State Hospital in New England. Watch the episode again and then search for the Danvers Hospital - and you will see that this is the mental hospital. Also watch the movie Session 9; This was a great episode; I am not sure why they couod not say the name of the hospital; it wo0uld clarify questions. Sine the episode was shot in 2000 - the building was still there and alot of "squatters" and kids were breaking in. they shouod re-show the episode with the name now that they have torn most of the establishment down.
  • First review is completely incorrect.

The first person's research is wrong..

I was shocked to see this New England Mental Hospital on TV because it's located in my town in Connecticut. I had heard before it was on one of these shows. The first person's research is painfully incorrect. I'm not sure how he/she even came up with some of that stuff. First, Pennsylvania is not even a state in New England so how can a New England mental hospital be located in PA?? The name of the hospital is Undercliff Institution in Meriden,CT. I have been there and immediately noticed the building on this show. My sister actually went inside this place 6 years ago. Her friend's father was the night guard for a long time and gave his son the keys to walk around but he refused to go inside. She even watched the show and confirmed each room. She said it was the creepiest place ever. She heard banging noises almost non-stop and she is convinced it is extremely haunted. The place is now gated with state police on patrol and that is why they won't reveal the name and location. The city of Meriden does not want anyone going up there. It's located down a long road and can't be seen without trespassing. Rumors around my town are that they haven't rebuilt or used it for anything else because of the horrible past and current hauntings. It just sits there abandoned. However I have also heard they may turn it into a prison. Well to sum it up..the first guy is wrong and I also wouldn't recomend driving to this place..you wont get inside.
  • Location of the mysterious mental hospital...

So I was curious about this closed mental hospital. I did some research and found the real reasons the show couldn't mention the name of the mental hospital. It's because the city of Byberry did not want more people coming to visit the abandoned site and looting it. The name of the hospital investiated was the Philidelphia State Hospital. As for the truth of the things presented, from everything I've found, yes there is still a man that runs around there because he was detained there and tossed out into the world after the closure. Local rumor is he still sleeps there after dark and he is dangerous. Whether it is true or not would have to be investigated on an individual basis, but there is a regular security patrol. I couldn't find any tesimonial from "real" security to validate whether or not there may actually be someone there and couldn't find any real testimony to paranormal activity... All I know is I really wouldn't want to spend a night there...