Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2013)

This show drives me nuts sometimes

srebak

[1]Aug 2, 2012
    • level: 18

As much as i didn't want to create a whole thread about this, i didn't have much of a choice. This doesn't really apply to any specific new episode.

This Fred and Daphne breakup is driving me insane! I was really starting to enjoy things (more or less) when the two of them actually became a couple. And that's because the two of them have been hinted to have a romantic interest in each other for so long and this was the first show that actually tried to build on that. Until now that is.

I was already (more or less) disappointed by Shaggy and Velma's breakup, particularly how it happened, and i was hoping that Fred and Daphne were the couple who were destined to stay together. But no, they had to break up too. Events like that not only make me hesitant to watch what happens next, but they also leave me hungry for closure, and sadly the closure i've been given is that Fred and Daphne are over and done, at least romantically.

Now i knew there was going to be some tension between the two, especially considering the way Season one ended, but i was really hoping that the result would be the two of them getting back together. Now i realize that that is not likely to happen, not now

It's driving me nuts, i haven't even really watched the recent new episodes, but based on what i read in those recaps, i'm sure i want to actually watch them.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Canada_Michael

[2]Aug 31, 2012
    • level: 10

I've just recently discovered this new version & in a word I find it odd. It's both more adult & a step backwards at the same time. To explore the adult themes of dating & relationships they've made the malecharacters clueless & stupid, especially Freddie. Fred clueless that Daphne likes him as more then just a friend, & going on & on about traps WTH. Shaggy not being able to pull himself away from his dog long enough to be in a relationship with a girl, is creepy &disturbing even for a cartoon IMO. Why even go down that road if in the first place, if all it accomplishes is to make Freddie & Shaggy morons? You could easily have two couples & not change the show, they hang out together all the time anyways. You don't have to show them going on dates.

MajLorne

[3]Aug 31, 2012
    • level: 21

I guess they wanted each character to be independent from each other? I think this has expanded a little more on the girls than most other versions. Shaggy is the same, but nice to know he dated Velma. But in some ways I kinda feel Velma and Hotdog water were more than 'just friends'. So I wouldn't be too worried about Velma. I'm also sure that by the end of the series Fred will finally admit he loves Daphne.

It's all about the drama. If everyone was all 'buddies', then it would get old. At least here, there's some conflict and it makes things more interesting as the case doesn't have to be the only thing driving the show as the characters can also have a role in the episodes.

Edited on 08/31/2012 10:17pm

Canada_Michael

[4]Sep 1, 2012
    Yeah Shaggy has always been the comic relief of the group, but having him pick a dog over Velma is bad even for him . Fred is too dim in this version. Did he actually say I don't know what you mean but OK, when asked by Daphne whether they'll get married after graduation?

edmasterchaos

[5]Sep 1, 2012
    • level: 41

Canada_Michael wrote:
    Yeah Shaggy has always been the comic relief of the group, but having him pick a dog over Velma is bad even for him . Fred is too dim in this version. Did he actually say I don't know what you mean but OK, when asked by Daphne whether they'll get married after graduation?
    Just keep watching the show, your complaints will be addressed and become strong plot points which, by the way things are going, might mean if mass murder happens or not

Canada_Michael

[6]Sep 3, 2012
    Yup season 2 is way better, Fred at least now has a clue about relationships & is trying. I like the new more adult direction of this version,

fewmet

[7]Sep 9, 2012
    • level: 12

MajLorne wrote:

I guess they wanted each character to be independent from each other? I think this has expanded a little more on the girls than most other versions. Shaggy is the same, but nice to know he dated Velma. But in some ways I kinda feel Velma and Hotdog water were more than 'just friends'.

Why the hell do you "feel" that?

LordGrievous

[8]Sep 10, 2012
    • level: 13

fewmet wrote:

MajLorne wrote:

I guess they wanted each character to be independent from each other? I think this has expanded a little more on the girls than most other versions. Shaggy is the same, but nice to know he dated Velma. But in some ways I kinda feel Velma and Hotdog water were more than 'just friends'.

Why the hell do you "feel" that?

Probably because alot people think thatcharacters of the same gender can never be "just friends" which is funny since the creators of SD:MI paired Velma and Shaggy up so people would stopcalling hera lesbian.

MajLorne

[9]Sep 14, 2012
    • level: 21

Exactly. It's been rumored/parodied over the years about Velma being a lesbian (nothing wrong with that). Don't shoot the messenger. It was just a subtle joke, not like I was saying I hoped she was.

Edited on 09/14/2012 10:45am